Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
7644 Girard Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.finchslajolla.com/
- Phone: 8584564056
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 10:30am – 3pm, Saturday – Sunday: 10am – 3pm
Small Plates Menu: Tuesday - Sunday: 3pm – 5pm
Dinner: Tuesday – Saturday: 5pm – 10pm, Sunday 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mario Medina
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Sections of the restaurant are available for private events. Please call event manager for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Event Manager 8584564056
- Entertainment: Live music on patio Friday and Saturday night. Please call for details.
- Special Events: For Special Event inquiries, please contact Tiana or Linda at 858.456.4056. We will be happy to assist with all your event planning needs. We will work with you to create a wonderful event with a special touch within a budget you can afford!
A word from Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
"The hidden gem in the jewel…" Enter through wrought iron gates into a European courtyard and discover the charming world that is Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar. The owners of Finch's have created a serene, intimate space where guests can escape life's hustle and bustle and relax, drink great wine, enjoy live music, and eat some of the best food around at moderate prices - an upscale dining experience at casual dining prices. This is evident from the moment you are graciously seated at your table with crisp linens, water carafes with fresh lemons as stoppers, and black and white finch salt and pepper birds. It is these quirky touches and attention to detail that is the guiding spirit behind this popular cozy, romantic and friendly La Jolla hotspot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (20)fit for foodies (16)romantic (13)special occasion (8)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Loved new dishesKathylynneVIPDined on 7/17/2014I visit this restaurant often. They had an excellent singer, were packed and they have 2 new dishes which we had and they were excellent! A calamari appetizer with a mildly spicy sauce, and a light, fluffy, fruity, light dessert whipped like an excellent chocolate mouse is. I wanted it all to myself and will definitely go back for more. Especially since they ran out of the calamari because everyone kept ordering more. We always have excellent wine, and this night was no exception. We had a delicious 2008 Ramon Bilboa Reserva Rioja Tempranillo.Special Features:
- delightful in every way!teenVIPDined on 7/17/2014relax and enjoy the surroundings, the food and wine, or in my case a bellini! had a very creative pasta dish that i really enjoyed - suggested by our server - and appreciated. if you like lamb, try it!Special Features:
- Great spot to wind down.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014The food was really good, the service was great, the atmosphere was excellent and we loved the live music.Special Features:
- jac75VIPDined on 6/26/2014food mediocre and menu so so. the only good thing about this restaurant is that is a near by locatio
- New Favorite PlaceMimizDined on 6/21/2014I googled to find Finch's and am so happy that I did! What a hidden treasure! I could've thrown a dart at the menu and had something delicious. I especially loved the stuffed squash blossoms. The service was attentive and pleasant and the owner came by to welcome us and make sure we were happy. I love this place and hope to go back several times! :)Special Features:
- dingobabyDined on 6/18/2014This is a great find - a hidden gem in La Jolla. The food was superb and the service first class. Owners Linda and Marshall really care about the quality of their restaurant as was apparent when they visited with us during our meal. I would recommend Finch's - without reservation - (no pun intended here!!) to everyone I know. Peter McKimminSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant place, food unevenIkeBDined on 5/31/2014A delightful evening here, with an especially talented jazz guitarist. The menu features several dishes requiring a deft touch in the kitchen. My dish, scallops, was overdone with too sweet a sauce for me. My wife enjoyed her entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discovery!ImspiceyDined on 5/23/2014Who new this existed in La Jolla. This little wine bar is tucked away in the cutest setting i've seen in La Jolla. The wine list is great, as is the menu. Food is delish and the servers are excellent. I would say they could definitely extend the beer list with more local craft brews but otherwise this place is top notch. I'll be a repeat customer!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSanDiegoDinerDined on 5/23/2014First time at this location. Food was heavy and overcooked. Was rushed throughout the meal. Better options around. Not kid friendly. Very disappointing. On a positive note: the guitar player was great.
- Great find!!Bob1VIPDined on 5/13/2014Service was excellent- good well prepared and presentation best I have seen in long time. We ate inside but the " alley" looked like great place to dine as well. Go before it becomes well known!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Evening OutDinnerDateDined on 4/18/2014We just tried Finch's for the first time. What a great experience. We elected to be seated outside with the heaters on - romantic live music filtered outside and mingled with the sound of water splashing in the outside fountain. Inside does not look to be as romantic or quaint; however, the wine bar is very cute. The food was wonderful - we split an order of the special green mussels, the beet salad and the scallops - all very yummy. We also had some yummy wine - Red Zinfandel (The Federalist). We were very glad that we found this cute (and kind of hidden) place - very close to Ark Antiques.Special Features:
- A most enjoyable eveningMikeVIPDined on 4/9/2014A wonderful menu. So many tempting dishes difficult to decide which one. Everyone was happy with their selection and agreed we needed to return to try others. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- FInch's with a friendfood4funDined on 4/3/2014I have been to Finch's Bistro and Wine Bar several times. The atmosphere is best when dining outdoors. The food is always fresh, perfectly seasoned and well-proportioned. I had deep fried squash blossoms filled with ricotta - perfect. Then stuffed tomatoes - nice, but not as outstanding as their short ribs , fish, scallops or burgers, all of which I have tried on prior occasions. We always enjoy their wines by the glass - have not tried a bottle as yet. Let the knowledgeable waiters offer suggestions, they know their stuff. I am very happy to recommend this secluded little spot in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- had a good meal....a bit tightcarrieVIPDined on 3/29/2014had a good meal....a bit tight in space ...but they were packed so others like them as well.Special Features:
- MouthwateringtherockDined on 3/26/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Finch's. It had been recommended to us by a friend and it didn't disappoint. We lived the quiet atmosphere which is a rate happening these days. The items we ordered, the pistachio crusted salmon, the scallops and the roared brussel sprouts were delicious. The service was excellent and we will definitely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little FIndKDTrewDined on 3/24/2014The restaurant serves contemporary European and American meals, so don't be surprised when items on the menu look a little "creative." They taste fantastic. Service was very attentive. The place feels like a nice little family run venture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific newer informal spotBuntzVIPDined on 3/22/2014Terrific newer informal spot in La Jolla. 4 off us dined here on Saturday evening and thought it was great. Eclectic menu with lots of choices, including small plates. Everything was delicious. Service was prompt and friendly and a guitarist with a bosso nova vibe added to the evening. Only quibble is that space is a bit tight in the outside area, but it did not detract from the experience. We will be back!Special Features:
- Mixed resultsJannyVIPDined on 3/21/2014My salmon cakes tasted like they were heated from a prepared frozen dinner...not very good. My husband's shrimp was very good however. His grapefruit salad was also delicious. The cheese in my Tomato Caprese salad was bitter. Perhaps I just ordered the wrong things from the menu.Special Features:
- Hidden Neighborhood GemJazzmomDined on 3/21/2014Conveniently located in downtown La Jolla, CA with easy street parking. Set back from the main street, so the outdoor dining is not noisy. Decided to sit inside as it was a bit cool, Management and staff are very welcoming and friendly. Met a friend who moved to the area from Massachusetts and she was not aware of this place. All of us enjoyed our meals. Service and food were excellent. Would definitely return when we are back in the area.Special Features:
- Great little place!BLBITWDined on 3/14/2014Cozy and intimate. Took a friend from Oklahoma here for dinner. Her comment was "don't get burned out on this place. I want to come here the next time I'm in town." She had the salmon. Said it was delicious. Also raved about the chocolate french toast. I had the sea bass. Cooked perfectly - melted in my mouth. Great place, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotHungry1SDVIPDined on 3/11/2014The restaurant is charming and the staff was attentive. The owner is from South Africa and inspires to include SA dishes on the menu and wine list. The restaurant was romantic and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pros and ConsPassportSpecialistDined on 3/11/2014This restaurant was a nice spot and cozy feeling. They offer blankets and indoor/outdoor seating with plenty of heaters. The service is really good and they are very nice and attentive. Came on a Tuesday night in March and had a good time with the lady. The food did lack a little bit of flavor in both her dish as well as mine. My food came out a little on the cool side and her meat was overcooked. Regardless of those if you are looking for a nice well rounded cozy place this is a nice one. If you are trying for some spectacular food well I might have caught them on an off day. It was still good, just not spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but way below my expectationsAlexanderVIPDined on 2/22/2014The menu choice in the lunch menu is quite limited. The waitress did not even bring the dinner menu. The service was way too slow even though there were not too many customers. The food was OK, but based on the reviews I expected a lot more. At the very end, it was quite a disappointment.Special Features:
- Tucked-away Charm with Great FoodCindyDined on 2/20/2014Finch's is a neighborhood gem. It's location down a quaint walkway with outdoor tables in an intimate garden setting is perfect for a romantic or quiet evening with friends. They often have a guitarist playing that adds to the charming ambiance. (Music was a bit loud so we were lucky to sit indoors on this chilly night.) In summer, outdoors is just divine. The service is wonderful, wine guy really knows his stuff, and the food is scrumptious. We'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoritemck605Dined on 2/13/2014Tugged down a little alley off Giard, Finch's was a great find. Dinner was great. Wait staff was wonderful. The lovely owner did her rounds with the diners. Live music in the outdoor courtyard. Will be back to check out the bar area for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Jolla's Lil GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2014This is a great "off beaten" path Bistro which should NOT be missed. Great wines, appetizers,pperfectsize portions. Music on patio during the nicer weather. You definitely want to sample from this lil gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recommend this restaurantafropuffDined on 2/3/2014Great burger and wine. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local restaurant gemTGK3Dined on 1/24/2014Finch's is one of those not easy to find local gems, a small intimate restaurant and wine bar. The bar is intimate but seems to be interesting at most times. I've only eaten in the dining area, but always outside. There is live music on the weekends, usually a discreet and low toned single singer/musician that is interesting and not intrusive. The menu and wine list is smaller but selective and good for both major meals and snacks over wine. The service is friendly and prompt and they have made us feel special - a table of 4 ordering one profiterole desert to share came out with 4 profiteroles - an extra one so that we didn't have to hassle over the share. A local gem of a restaurant find that is good for special occasions plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Find - Delicious FoodSMLBVIPDined on 1/18/2014Finch's is a great local find with excellent food. Menu variety and creativity is notable and the actual dishes are complex and delicious. As is common for newer restaurants, the service leaves quite a bit to be desired at this price point. Hopefully as time goes on the service will become on par with how excellent the fare is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experience, goodBobMDined on 1/17/2014Overall good experience, good menu choices. Wait staff a bit over-attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Jolla Best Kept SecretDJillieVIPDined on 12/15/2013I love this hidden little spot for its ambiance and gourmet food. It's tucked away in the Village of La Jolla, yet it's in the midst of hotels, shops & the cove. The garden & fountain area are quiet & relaxing, especially on weekends. We had the best darn good chicken salad sandwich and portabello mushroom ravioli entree, both excellent. The herbed specialty fries with garlic & parmison cheese were light and irresistable!Special Features:
- Great dining experience! WonderfulSHARONDined on 12/12/2013Great dining experience! Wonderful food, good wine! Made a good impression on our out-of-town guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatspikeDined on 11/19/2013Fine dining, service and wine. You can't go wrong choosing Finch's Bistro & Wine BarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiappointedFoodieVIPDined on 11/16/2013We really wanted to like ths place but it fell short on many levels. It is tucked away in a mini business court and slightly away from the touristy part of La Jolla so we were hopeful. Food was under seasoned and we generally are sensitive to items being over salted. Food was not horrible but it wasn't stellar. Service was extremely slow. Our server did a good job telling us the kitchen was behind but it was at least 25 min wait between end of appetizers to dinner entrees arriving. Our server was not as refined as others in a similar type restaurant. For the prices they are charging, I expect the food, service and ambience to be better than average but it wasn't the case.Special Features:
- Lovely FindtigressloveDined on 11/15/2013What a great little romantic find. Had a wonderful intimate evening of incredible small plates, good wine, great service on a heated open area. Subtle live music in background- noticeable but never too loud or invasive. Just a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic restaurant with smallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Eclectic restaurant with small rooms and patio sections. The waiter was great and took good care of us. We sat outside to enjoy the music and based on reviews that the inside was too crowded. This was good advice. Even outside was a bit cramped. The appetizers and desserts were great but the main courses left a bit to be desired -- namely seasoning, especially in the sides. We ordered the filet, the chicken, and the ribs. The ribs were cooked perfectly but the sides were very bland. The filet was average at best. Appetizer brussel sprouts were great as was the peace cobbler and the profiteroles. The wine list was great and the waiter found a wine we all enjoyed, in fact we had two bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just gets better and betterVictoriaVIPDined on 10/19/2013We eat here all the time and have brought guests and it's always been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !!!!downtowndinerDined on 10/4/2013The ambiance is superb with multiple small dining rooms and an outside patio. There is music on the weekends which heightens the atmosphere. We had incredible service with no one rushing us. The food was outstanding. I can't say enough wonderful things about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience and service wereMaybeDined on 10/1/2013The ambience and service were impecable for my lunch date. Our server, Johnny, was excellent. The food I believe was farm to table, and the menu was interesting, but for a "foodie" it was a bit lacking in both seasoning and flavor. The main drag was the halibut in the special halibut salad was severely overcooked. I did not send it back, but likley would have if I would not have been on a date. I can cook halibut well, so a high end restaurant like this should be able to, especially because we came well after the lunch rush (1:30) and we were one of two couples in the restaurant. Maybe a new chef or sous chef is in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tell everyone...lajollaVIPDined on 9/3/2013Finch's is great!!! Amazing food..terrific service. Its small and perfect@Special Features: