283 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.filipporistorante.com/
- Phone: 617-742-4143
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 11:30am - 10:00pm Fri - Sat: 11:30am - 10:30pm Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Filippo Frattaroli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Filippo's will cater event from small parties to large. Our specialities include catering rustic dishes for the ultimate Italian experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Filippo functions, on the second floor, is our spacious and formal function facility. We have two beautifully appointed dining rooms to accommodate groups from 25 to 230 guests.
- Special Events: Each time you visit Filippo Ristorante or Ristorante Lucia, leave us your buisiness card. Each time you visit us you are entered to win a one week stay at our bed and breakfast in Sulmona, Italy! The drawing will be at the end of the year!
A word from Filippo Ristorante
Filippo Ristorante, conveniently located on the first floor, is our cozy and informal restaurant. We serve classic, as well as innovative, Italian dishes with a focus on the Abruzzo region of Italy. Take a tour of Italy and still be in time for the game (Celtics and Bruins)! For classic Italian dinning from the 20 regions of Italy; the Frattaroli family, owners of Ristorante Lucia, is proud to introduce Filippo Ristorante!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Filippo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (14)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (9)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- nam58nam58Dined on 7/26/2014Food was delicious- staff warm and friendly- inviting. This was our first time - we would definitely go back. Had reservation and decided to go in early and sit at bar for a drink- table we were given was great tucked in a corner yet able to see the bridge and view passersby Waitress was great "lulu" she made wonderful recommendations regarding appetizers and entre and she was correct.... portions are big so order correctly.Special Features:
- Nothing specialkMartinDined on 7/26/2014No wonder you can find a Groupon, Restaurant.com, Living Social deal etc anywhere for this place. It was VERY quiet for a Saturday night, we really didn't need a reservation. The waiter thought he was charming but really he was rude. The food was okay. My lobster ravioli was good, but a little on the cold side. My husband had the Chicken Marsala and the chicken was rubbery and definitely cold. Don't waste your time, it wasn't worth saving $30 bucks.
- Great food, even better service!mamasnightoutDined on 7/19/2014I couldn't have imagined a better way to spend a night out with my husband and friends. The food was delicious but our server, Lulu was really something else. By the end of the night, she had us wishing we were related. She was hilarious, attentive and kind-hearted. We will be going back and making sure she is our server without a doubt. Everything was delicious! Definitely a gem in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousNewtoconcordVIPDined on 7/14/2014Great food with charismatic service! From wine and appetizers to dessert and coffee, everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EVERYTHINGVeryHappyDined on 6/30/2014Can't say enough about how wonderful everything was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with charmDCREM1Dined on 6/28/2014The owner Filippo Frattaroli, checked for our reservations and showed us to a beautiful area where the full window engulfed the booth and opened up the outside world. We started with the Calamari, which was perfectly cooked and very light. Served with the usual lemons and the house gravy, which was a joy that brought back memories of my Mom's Spaghetti Sauce. My wife enjoyed the Re Francesco II, Chicken Breast in a spicy marinara with prosciutto fresh mushrooms and black olives. I ordered Braciolettine di Vitello al Lemone, rolled veal with prosciutto, cheese in a lite lemon sauce, with a side of pasta. The wine we chose, was a Montepulciano d’Abruzzo. The whole room enjoyed an older gent singing Italian songs and taking requests.Special Features:
- Don't waste your money!love2travelDined on 6/21/2014Our meal started out fine with some delicious bread and olive oil with herbs to dip it in. Our entrees, however, were not good. The gnocchi d'abruzzo con pesto was awful. The gnocchi was complete mush and the pesto sauce absolutely flavorless. It was actually inedible. The pollo cacciatore was OK, but nothing special. The atmosphere was nice and service was good, but I will never eat here again. There are too many other restaurant choices in the North End for a delicious Italian meal.
- DisappointedAj2603Dined on 6/21/2014This restaurant had come highly recommended. The food was mediocre, the noise level thankfully was low, but that was because they weren't and I suspect aren't ever very busy. Most disappointing was the attitude of the waiter and the overall poor service. A wrong order was delivered and when it was pointed out to him he insisted that it was us that made the mistake, not him. It eventually was corrected but not before he made us feel guilty. Poor form! With all the terrific Italian restaurants in the North End, no need to bother with this one.Special Features:
- Fillipo's Date NightDinnerGardenDined on 6/20/2014The waitress was so charming and accommodating! I was pleased at their willingness to accommodate every aspect of my gluten free diet as well. I almost never finish a full restaurant meal but there was not a morsel on the plate when I left, nor was there a morsel on any plate at our table. This is a definite gem for before or after a Boston Garden event since it is such a short walk to the Garden from here!Special Features:
- Great Meal and ServicecoffeeisoneVIPDined on 6/18/2014We were a party of 7 (1 child included) and had great meals and service. The food is wonderful and the restaurant staff is very attentive. It was away from the hoopla of the Hanover Street crowd, which we found very refreshing. It is a short walk to Hanover Street if you want to visit the bakeries and other restaurants.Special Features:
- North End gemNRB1Dined on 6/7/2014Going out with a group and don't want to be cramped? Go to Filippo's where you won't be elbow to elbow with other diners like most NE restaurants. Nice view of Zakim bridge at night. Only con was no refills on soda at 2.50 each. Try the fried mozzarella app it's DELISH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Afternoon Dinner!LAP60Dined on 6/1/2014I had gotten a gift card from Restaurant.com which inspired me to go there. I did read previous reviews that were not favorable. We had a great time however and am glad to write this review so that others will be sure to go. We had the mozzarella carozza for an appetizer and it was perfectly cooked. The veal parmesan was also wonderful along with the gemelli pasta. Being Italian myself, this is the kind of Italian food I would expect to have, great basic Italian food. Prices and portions were great, the wine pour was very generous. Our waitress was very attentive. Our water glasses were filled timely. The atmosphere is what one would expect in the North End. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian placemeganDined on 5/16/2014First time in boston and this was the second place we had eaten in the North End, the first was The Daily Catch. We came here after My sister's graduation from Boston University. Just like that restaurant, this one did not disappoint. The food wad amazing, the service was great. There was 6 of us and we all loved our meal. A great taste of the amazing itialian food in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner beforw a gameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Great take before going to the Boston Garden for a sporting event. Great food and service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I Expected in Boston, MARosemaryDined on 5/10/2014Waited over 30 minutes to be served, even after being on time for our reservation. Server brought out 2 dinners we did not order, returned with what we ordered the Marinated Orange Stuffed Chicken Breast that were overly cooked and very dry.Special Features:
- Always fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This is my second time going to Filippo's and it was once again excellent. The food is great, the bread and dipping oil served is good, and they have an excellent wine selection.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014We loved Filippo's and would recommend it for anyone who wants good Italian food in a quieter location than Hanover Street. The food and wine were great, and Filippo's homage to his home in Abruzzo, Sulmona, is fun to see all around the restaurant. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- The following 177 reviews are from the Filippo Ristorante reviews archive.
- Another good night at Filippo's!NRB1Dined on 4/25/2014It was a pretty quiet night here, but same excellent service and atmosphere we enjoy. Tried the Marsala which was very tasty. There are a few things on the menu that do not translate if ordered, such as the pasta dishes saying they come with salad and are served family style - (ala Maggianos) but these are individual portions for one person. We enjoy this restaurant and it has become one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Food was enjoyablebbqloverDined on 4/20/2014We visited the restaurant for Easter because the food is very good and we could make reservations. The food did not disappoint. The service however was a bit rushed. Our server seemed more interested in hustling us out despite the fact that the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Great lunch with family and friendshjlcmfunDined on 4/19/2014After being at a Red Sox game all day, we wanted a bit of the North End. The service with LuLu was great, she is a fun person. The food was good. The portions were plenty big, but for my husband noted not a big as some others in the north end. So if you are looking to take home lots of containers or split meals, probably not. If you are looking for good quality, great service and a fun atmosphere, this is a good choice. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014We had a party of 17 which included two toddlers and a newborn , Tweens and adults. Francine, ours reeve, was lovely, attentive and gracious....she made great suggestions for the kids. The food was excellent and the bill was very reasonable. Everyone had a great time......would definitely go back Thank you FrancineSpecial Features:
- Very Good and close to the GardenJayBeeDined on 4/12/2014The food was very good - Chicken Marsala and Veal Gnocchi. Food was good and the espresso was nice. Went here for my girlfriend's birthday. It was everything I expected. Good Italian food and friendly service. Check it out. JBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinner at FilippoNRB1Dined on 4/11/2014Our group arrived for our reservation before a Celtics game and were seated immediately. Our table for 8 was not too far from the entrance and was an aisle away from the wall of windows overlooking Causeway and the Zakim Bridge, a lovely view. From the first minute in, our server LuLu, made us feel welcome. We received excellent service from Lulu and also other staff who helped her out. Start to finish our meal was excellent with no complaints. Outstanding fried mozzarella appetizer with melted cheese and red sauce & fried calamari that gives Giacomo's a run for its money. Everyone enjoyed their entrees as well, not one complaint. They have the lemon sorbet in a real lemon shell for dessert that my kids love. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was delicious!mathildaDined on 4/5/2014We went to Filippo for a birthday dinner, and it was delicious. LouLou (sp?) was so sweet and made sure we were happy with the service and the food, and never made us feel rushed. The food came out really quickly, but was so good. I'd definitely go here again!Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeJimmyDined on 3/30/2014Group of 9 of us , manager was thrilled to have us, very attentive and couldn't believe the price for quality of food we had, fantastic!Special Features:
- A North End ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2014I have been to Filippo's many times over the past 20 years and it never disappoints. The food is old world Italian with the best red sauce in the North End. I am half Italian and know an authentic spaghetti sauce and Filippo has it down! Also, the impeccable and friendly service is another reason to go as servers treat you as family. Special requests are easily accomodated and the food is high quality and freshly prepared. It may not be located on the restaurant row of Hanover or Salem streets, but it is not to be missed if lookiing for great Italian food with friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rush ServiceGailVIPDined on 3/24/2014We lost our original table because other people requested a specific waitress. Lost a booth and were given a tiny table in the center of the restaurant. It was an extremely noisy ambiance. We felt rushed through our entire dinner. We both got the feeling the restaurant wanted to get us out quickly so they could seat an additional party. We were served each course within minutes of the previous course arriving. They were unaccommodating when we asked to replace pasta with spinach. My husband has dietary restrictions and very rarely do we find a restaurant unable to switch out pasta for veggies. The waitress explained that the chef was too busy for special requests. For this reason alone, we will not return or recommend this restaurant.
- Delicious laid back Italian diningHonestACDined on 3/18/2014Filippo's has officially hit my top 3 go to list for restaurants in the Northend. If you want big eats, quality, and like seafood, skip all the copy cat fluff on Hanover Street, and have dinner here. You wont get stuffy, fine dining service with wine stewards wiping the bottle lip after a pour of red wine. Service here is laid back, and familiar, like having dinner at a cousins house. But the portions, recipes and meal satisfaction keep me coming back for more. Do your palate and tummy a favor, and grab a table here.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent serviceDinerDined on 3/17/2014Great food and excellent service for a dinner after a business mtgSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here after a Bruin'sk2p1965VIPDined on 3/15/2014Went here after a Bruin's game with a group of 8 (adults and kids) and had a great experience here. Food was delicious, service was fantastic (LuLu was the best!). Very homey feeling, would definately recommend and go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLarryDined on 3/14/2014We ate here Friday night. We arrived early and were seated promptly. Our server was very courteous and helpful. Everything we ate, from the bread basket with dipping sauce, to the shrimp scampi to the pasta to the chocolate cake was delicious!Special Features:
- Disappointing second visitChuckDined on 3/8/2014Disappointing second visit that didn't live up to first. Initial visit was excellent, but not so much this time. Service was average at best compared to excellent service last time. Food was just ok. Restaurant seemed overwhelmed with a few large groups.
- Ask for LuLu when going to Filippo!HandarDined on 3/7/2014My family had the pleasure of Dining at Filippo's in the North End of Boston in March. We were quickly seated by the owner and shortly after that meet our server LuLu. With two young growing and hungry boys we all ordered appetizers, melon and prosciutto, bruschetta, caprese salad and an antipasto. LuLu recommended that we hold off ordering entrees until we had the appetizers. Good call by LuLu! LuLu recommended we order two entrees and share then if we needed more food she would take care of us. The food at Filippo's was amazing but the service from LuLu made our trip to Boston memorable. My boys are still talking about LuLu who gave us all hugs at the end of the evening. If in the North end of Boston, go to Filippo's and ask for LuLu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good and the locationgoodfoodgoodserviceVIPDined on 3/3/2014The food is good and the location couldn't be more convenient if you're going to an event at the Garden. Is it fine, gourmet dining? No, but it's a solid choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely returningFrankyDDined on 3/2/2014Jerry the waiter was fantastic and the food was even better. The best $500 I have spent in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy !ItalianLover68Dined on 3/1/2014Loved the old Boston North end feel. Food and service were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTobsterDined on 2/22/2014We recently took my son and his GF for a birthday dinner at Filippo. Total party size was five and our table was ready and waiting for us on a Saturday night. The service was understated but timely and anticipated our requests at each course of the meal - obviously a pro. The menu was adventurous; interesting combinations of classic Italian foods. My entree was Gnocchi Abruzzo which is sliced veal with gnocchis in a brown sauce - delicious! In all a very enjoyable and reasonably priced experience. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerFilippoDined on 2/22/2014We had so much fun at Filippo. Lulu took great care of us, Thank you. The food was great, really good. We just enjoyed the night and we are talkers and jokers and this was a great place for that. We had 10 and I would not hesitate to bring 20. We had a big table and it was comfy. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerSarahDined on 2/14/2014I went here for dinner on Valentines Day along with another couple and we had a great night. Food was amazing and service was good once our waiter warmed up to us. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt rushed , Just GoodGRF4Dined on 2/14/2014When I booked the reservation I read all the reviews and thought this should be a great place for dinner. It is a good neighborhood eatery. I was expecting more than what we really received in the way of our whole dining experience. The table was small even for just two people. the service was just okay the wait staff was not very attentive seemed more interested in getting you in and out than serving you a good meal . The food quantity was average to small compared to other north end restaurants. it all tasted fine. If you want a quick meal in and out in a rush this is the place to go. must be use to serving the sports crowd from the garden during game nights. This was valentines day and felt rushed.