283 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.filipporistorante.com/
- Phone: (617) 742-4143
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 11:30am - 10:00pm Fri - Sat: 11:30am - 10:30pm Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Filippo Frattaroli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Filippo's will cater event from small parties to large. Our specialities include catering rustic dishes for the ultimate Italian experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Filippo functions, on the second floor, is our spacious and formal function facility. We have two beautifully appointed dining rooms to accommodate groups from 25 to 230 guests.
- Special Events: Each time you visit Filippo Ristorante or Ristorante Lucia, leave us your buisiness card. Each time you visit us you are entered to win a one week stay at our bed and breakfast in Sulmona, Italy! The drawing will be at the end of the year!
A word from Filippo Ristorante
Filippo Ristorante, conveniently located on the first floor, is our cozy and informal restaurant. We serve classic, as well as innovative, Italian dishes with a focus on the Abruzzo region of Italy. Take a tour of Italy and still be in time for the game (Celtics and Bruins)! For classic Italian dinning from the 20 regions of Italy; the Frattaroli family, owners of Ristorante Lucia, is proud to introduce Filippo Ristorante!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Filippo Ristorante - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Filippo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dinner before the Celtics GameTraveledDined on 11/12/2014Filippo's is a great spot right on the edge of the North End in Boston. This is a great spot for dinner when heading to a Celtics basketball game. Love the people here - Lulu our best waitress. Chicken Parm one of our favorites, but the veal is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/11/2014Our waitress was surly and it took 90 minutes to order and receive simple Italian dishes. Drinks were served to 4 of 5 people with a 20+ min wait for the 5th. Not an ideal spot for pre garden event dining
- Pre TD GARDEN mealNJOliveiraDined on 11/7/2014Looked for a place close to TD Garden before Celtics game. Location was next door to parking garage and 5 minute walk to Garden. Service was great. Good Italian meal before game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a gameDinerDined on 11/6/2014Great spot before a game at the Boston Garden. Quick friendly service.Special Features:
- DinnerDinerDined on 11/4/2014Great before a garden event, they get you out quickly .Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/1/2014This was by far the best North End places I have gone to in many years. LuLu was the reason we will always go there every time we are in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute reservationdmousaVIPDined on 10/18/2014We made a last minute reservation at Filippo as we had six people and it was 8 oclock. Not sure what to expect. Service was excellent even though we had been to a football game and been rained on not a problem. Food was excellent good choices and house wine was reasonable price and very well matched with our food. Will go back again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edge of the N.End Filippo-worth it!LoveAgoodMealDined on 10/7/2014We went on a Tuesday night, so it was quiet and not crowded. This Causeway restaurant is the former location of the original Polcari's (now on Route 1) for those that remember an older Boston. Loved the old-school Italian atmosphere and look of the place with Sinatra and Bennett crooning on the PA system. The waiter was friendly, informative, with good humor, and took care of us without being intrusive. The food - EXCELLENT! Very flavorful. I was out for my birthday dinner with my g/f and I ordered the Frederick II entree (chicken, prosciutto, veggies with a mildly spicy red sauce). Very tasty with a side of fusilli with marinara. She had what I think was called Chicken Lucia and loved it. Kudos! We'll be back.Special Features:
- clueless about voucher redemptionFattyMattyDined on 10/6/2014Our visit was okay but I feel like I was ripped off. The food was good and our meal was enjoyable. However, when we attempted to use a restaurant.com voucher our server had no clue on how to process it. She said the manager was out and she asked me to call the 800 number. That should NEVER happen. Filipio's also charges $2.75 per 6 oz soda and there are no free refills. To add even more obnoxiousness to this practice, the mix was off and my wife only drank water. We ended up spending $30 more than we originally intended because we ordered dessert that we didn't really want to get us to the $100 voucher threshold. The soda prices and beer prices were outrageous. I would not return for this reason. The food just isn't worth the $$.
- Outstanding!AhartpanVIPDined on 9/25/2014Our first visit to Filippo was with a party of 6-and it won't be our last. Lulu was our server and made excellent recommendations. Also, as an added bonus, there was a large party upstairs (Banquet) and when we saw some of the food items going by we asked about them and the chef sent out some samples for us to try. It was like going to your aunt's house, Lulu made us feel right at home. Both she and the chef were so accommodating to our requests, we really had an excellent experience. The drinks were spot on as well. We will return; and we will bring more friends!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Service was fast and attentive - Lu Lu was amazing!!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Girls night out. Everyone loved their food. The bottle of wine was good. Service was on top of everything. Great experience.
- Dated but edibleMurphy09VIPDined on 8/31/2014I have a feeling that Filippo's was once a vibrant Italian restaurant but has fallen on hard times. The decor is in desperate need of updating, the wait staff needs some energy and the owner needs to be more open and friendly. The food was decent and a good value, however there needs to be a better flair to the presentation. All in all a good fall back should the better restaurants be full.
- CosmoVIPDined on 8/30/2014Very disappointed in the service and the food. Ridiculously priced for the portion and item. Really, pasta with sausage 30.00!!! Salad was wilted brown and not cold. Waitress was abrupt and rude. There are so many restaraunts in the north end to choose from. Choosing some place else the next time.
- A Go-To RestaurantRJR52Dined on 8/28/2014We do not get to Boston very often for dinner, but when the opportunity to hit the North End comes, we always go to Filippos. Food is quite good and ample servings, and the ambiance, especially from the hostess Lulu, makes me feel like I am welcomed by an old friend. We recently took my son, visiting from Colorado, there for the first time, and Lulu chatted with him like he was her own grandson...which made all three of us mist welcome. The menu is varied, and the food always tastes just right...after the complimentary breads and oils. Out of the main hubbub of the North End, and we like that!Special Features:
- nam58nam58Dined on 7/26/2014Food was delicious- staff warm and friendly- inviting. This was our first time - we would definitely go back. Had reservation and decided to go in early and sit at bar for a drink- table we were given was great tucked in a corner yet able to see the bridge and view passersby Waitress was great "lulu" she made wonderful recommendations regarding appetizers and entre and she was correct.... portions are big so order correctly.Special Features:
- Nothing specialkMartinDined on 7/26/2014No wonder you can find a Groupon, Restaurant.com, Living Social deal etc anywhere for this place. It was VERY quiet for a Saturday night, we really didn't need a reservation. The waiter thought he was charming but really he was rude. The food was okay. My lobster ravioli was good, but a little on the cold side. My husband had the Chicken Marsala and the chicken was rubbery and definitely cold. Don't waste your time, it wasn't worth saving $30 bucks.
- The following 192 reviews are from the Filippo Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great food, even better service!mamasnightoutDined on 7/19/2014I couldn't have imagined a better way to spend a night out with my husband and friends. The food was delicious but our server, Lulu was really something else. By the end of the night, she had us wishing we were related. She was hilarious, attentive and kind-hearted. We will be going back and making sure she is our server without a doubt. Everything was delicious! Definitely a gem in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousNewtoconcordVIPDined on 7/14/2014Great food with charismatic service! From wine and appetizers to dessert and coffee, everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EVERYTHINGVeryHappyDined on 6/30/2014Can't say enough about how wonderful everything was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with charmDCREM1Dined on 6/28/2014The owner Filippo Frattaroli, checked for our reservations and showed us to a beautiful area where the full window engulfed the booth and opened up the outside world. We started with the Calamari, which was perfectly cooked and very light. Served with the usual lemons and the house gravy, which was a joy that brought back memories of my Mom's Spaghetti Sauce. My wife enjoyed the Re Francesco II, Chicken Breast in a spicy marinara with prosciutto fresh mushrooms and black olives. I ordered Braciolettine di Vitello al Lemone, rolled veal with prosciutto, cheese in a lite lemon sauce, with a side of pasta. The wine we chose, was a Montepulciano d’Abruzzo. The whole room enjoyed an older gent singing Italian songs and taking requests.Special Features:
- Don't waste your money!love2travelDined on 6/21/2014Our meal started out fine with some delicious bread and olive oil with herbs to dip it in. Our entrees, however, were not good. The gnocchi d'abruzzo con pesto was awful. The gnocchi was complete mush and the pesto sauce absolutely flavorless. It was actually inedible. The pollo cacciatore was OK, but nothing special. The atmosphere was nice and service was good, but I will never eat here again. There are too many other restaurant choices in the North End for a delicious Italian meal.
- DisappointedAj2603VIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant had come highly recommended. The food was mediocre, the noise level thankfully was low, but that was because they weren't and I suspect aren't ever very busy. Most disappointing was the attitude of the waiter and the overall poor service. A wrong order was delivered and when it was pointed out to him he insisted that it was us that made the mistake, not him. It eventually was corrected but not before he made us feel guilty. Poor form! With all the terrific Italian restaurants in the North End, no need to bother with this one.Special Features:
- Fillipo's Date NightDinnerGardenDined on 6/20/2014The waitress was so charming and accommodating! I was pleased at their willingness to accommodate every aspect of my gluten free diet as well. I almost never finish a full restaurant meal but there was not a morsel on the plate when I left, nor was there a morsel on any plate at our table. This is a definite gem for before or after a Boston Garden event since it is such a short walk to the Garden from here!Special Features:
- Great Meal and ServicecoffeeisoneVIPDined on 6/18/2014We were a party of 7 (1 child included) and had great meals and service. The food is wonderful and the restaurant staff is very attentive. It was away from the hoopla of the Hanover Street crowd, which we found very refreshing. It is a short walk to Hanover Street if you want to visit the bakeries and other restaurants.Special Features:
- North End gemNRB1Dined on 6/7/2014Going out with a group and don't want to be cramped? Go to Filippo's where you won't be elbow to elbow with other diners like most NE restaurants. Nice view of Zakim bridge at night. Only con was no refills on soda at 2.50 each. Try the fried mozzarella app it's DELISH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Afternoon Dinner!LAP60Dined on 6/1/2014I had gotten a gift card from Restaurant.com which inspired me to go there. I did read previous reviews that were not favorable. We had a great time however and am glad to write this review so that others will be sure to go. We had the mozzarella carozza for an appetizer and it was perfectly cooked. The veal parmesan was also wonderful along with the gemelli pasta. Being Italian myself, this is the kind of Italian food I would expect to have, great basic Italian food. Prices and portions were great, the wine pour was very generous. Our waitress was very attentive. Our water glasses were filled timely. The atmosphere is what one would expect in the North End. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian placemeganDined on 5/16/2014First time in boston and this was the second place we had eaten in the North End, the first was The Daily Catch. We came here after My sister's graduation from Boston University. Just like that restaurant, this one did not disappoint. The food wad amazing, the service was great. There was 6 of us and we all loved our meal. A great taste of the amazing itialian food in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner beforw a gameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Great take before going to the Boston Garden for a sporting event. Great food and service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I Expected in Boston, MARosemaryDined on 5/10/2014Waited over 30 minutes to be served, even after being on time for our reservation. Server brought out 2 dinners we did not order, returned with what we ordered the Marinated Orange Stuffed Chicken Breast that were overly cooked and very dry.Special Features:
- Always fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This is my second time going to Filippo's and it was once again excellent. The food is great, the bread and dipping oil served is good, and they have an excellent wine selection.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014We loved Filippo's and would recommend it for anyone who wants good Italian food in a quieter location than Hanover Street. The food and wine were great, and Filippo's homage to his home in Abruzzo, Sulmona, is fun to see all around the restaurant. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Another good night at Filippo's!NRB1Dined on 4/25/2014It was a pretty quiet night here, but same excellent service and atmosphere we enjoy. Tried the Marsala which was very tasty. There are a few things on the menu that do not translate if ordered, such as the pasta dishes saying they come with salad and are served family style - (ala Maggianos) but these are individual portions for one person. We enjoy this restaurant and it has become one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Food was enjoyablebbqloverDined on 4/20/2014We visited the restaurant for Easter because the food is very good and we could make reservations. The food did not disappoint. The service however was a bit rushed. Our server seemed more interested in hustling us out despite the fact that the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Great lunch with family and friendshjlcmfunDined on 4/19/2014After being at a Red Sox game all day, we wanted a bit of the North End. The service with LuLu was great, she is a fun person. The food was good. The portions were plenty big, but for my husband noted not a big as some others in the north end. So if you are looking to take home lots of containers or split meals, probably not. If you are looking for good quality, great service and a fun atmosphere, this is a good choice. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014We had a party of 17 which included two toddlers and a newborn , Tweens and adults. Francine, ours reeve, was lovely, attentive and gracious....she made great suggestions for the kids. The food was excellent and the bill was very reasonable. Everyone had a great time......would definitely go back Thank you FrancineSpecial Features:
- Very Good and close to the GardenJayBeeDined on 4/12/2014The food was very good - Chicken Marsala and Veal Gnocchi. Food was good and the espresso was nice. Went here for my girlfriend's birthday. It was everything I expected. Good Italian food and friendly service. Check it out. JBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinner at FilippoNRB1Dined on 4/11/2014Our group arrived for our reservation before a Celtics game and were seated immediately. Our table for 8 was not too far from the entrance and was an aisle away from the wall of windows overlooking Causeway and the Zakim Bridge, a lovely view. From the first minute in, our server LuLu, made us feel welcome. We received excellent service from Lulu and also other staff who helped her out. Start to finish our meal was excellent with no complaints. Outstanding fried mozzarella appetizer with melted cheese and red sauce & fried calamari that gives Giacomo's a run for its money. Everyone enjoyed their entrees as well, not one complaint. They have the lemon sorbet in a real lemon shell for dessert that my kids love. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was delicious!mathildaDined on 4/5/2014We went to Filippo for a birthday dinner, and it was delicious. LouLou (sp?) was so sweet and made sure we were happy with the service and the food, and never made us feel rushed. The food came out really quickly, but was so good. I'd definitely go here again!Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeJimmyDined on 3/30/2014Group of 9 of us , manager was thrilled to have us, very attentive and couldn't believe the price for quality of food we had, fantastic!Special Features: