Fig Tree Cafe - Hillcrest
416 University Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fig Tree Cafe - Hillcrest
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.figtreecafehillcrest.com/
- Phone: 6192982010
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00AM - 3:00PM.
Lunch: Daily: 8:00AM - 3:00PM.
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday, Sunday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM. Thursday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alberto Morreale
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Fig Tree Cafe Catering offers extensive menus perfect for any special event!
Allow us to perfect your next party, gathering event or wedding! Whether an event for 25 or 250, we can accommodate your needs.
For more info please email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 75 people for a private dinner at the restaurant!
- Private Party Contact: Johan Engman 6197872483
A word from Fig Tree Cafe - Hillcrest
Fig Tree Cafe first opened in Pacific Beach in 2008 and has now opened its second location in the heart of Hillcrest. Our menu changes with the seasons as we use in-season, locally grown products. Our PB location was voted best Brunch in San Diego 2010 and we"re excited to bring this award winning cuisine to Hillcrest. Our dinner menu features items such as Short Ribs, Fig and Prosciutto Pizza, Lobster Ravioli, rosemary, thyme and lemon marinated Jidori Chicken, along with a moderately priced, eclectic wine list. We take great pride in our friendly, inviting and unpretentious style of service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fig Tree Cafe - Hillcrest reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)romantic (4)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fig Tree CafeJojoDined on 8/15/2014The varied menu offered a great selection of delicious tasting entrees. We enjoyed rib eye steak and stuffed chicken with vegetable along with spinach and garlic mashed potatoes. The Arugula, wedge and beet salads were all perfectly prepared. We even enjoyed a fig bread pudding for dessert.. All diners enjoyed their meal and were impressed with the presentation and taste of their food.. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before show at the Old GlobeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014My wife and I wanted a nice, healthy, dinner prior to seeing a show at the Old Globe. Service was great and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Great Food!DinerGirlDined on 8/9/2014We just love this place - never overcrowded or noisy, excellent food, great menu, great service. We always go back!Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014The Fig Tree Cafe has amazing food in a wonderfully, casual and relaxed setting. The specials were very reasonable. We will come back again and again.Special Features:
- ExcellentEdwardVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was superb and the experience was enhanced by our waitperson, Micah. Well balanced menu, amazing prices, we highly recommend Fig Tree.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, so Many Great Choices!8outagainVIPDined on 6/2/2014Fig Tree has good food period. I have tried many of their menu choices and found them tasty. Last night I had their special which was homemade ravioli stuffed with lamb and a fresh tomato sauce and pecorino cheese. It was superb.Special Features:
- Glad I found this placeTmazzDined on 5/10/20144 of us went for dinner on a Sat night at 7:30. When we got there they had a table for us right away. The restaurant was about half full. We ordered a few appetizers: the prosciutto bruschetta (3 pieces), the bread with sundried tomato spread (they bring lots of bread for it), and the cheese board (it says for 2, but it was great for the 4 of us). That was PLENTY for the 4 of us- we were all almost full by the time we got our food! Two of us got the oxtail cavatelli, which reminded me of a stew- hearty and thick. I got the lobster raviolo- amazing! The chipotle cream sauce was soooo good. And one of us got the pork belly- it was good but not my favorite. Max our server was great, and the ambiance (we sat outside) was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fig Tree always satisfiesTheGoldenGeekDined on 5/4/2014We first discovered Fig Tree for its fabulous brunch, but have since enjoyed their dinners several times. Sunday evening, our attentive waiter told us about the specials, and we decided to bite. I started with a flight of reds--a merlot from Chile, a shiraz from Australia, and a malbec from Argentina--for the unheard-of happy hour price of $6, while my partner enjoyed a chardonnay. We started with a margherita pizza, deliciously garlicky. Then came our specials--my pork tenderloin with caramelized onions and apples in a wine reduction, accompanied by spinach mashed, and my partner's lovely scallops with an asparagus-sun-dried tomato risotto. I finished with a decaf cappuccino and my partner had a berry "taco." Another fabulous repast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for a late night biteyupitsmeDined on 5/3/2014we came here after an art opening - we weren't starving but wanted a bite - the fried eggplant salad appetizer was recommended and was delicious. even though not known for pizza we were in the mood for it, and they were good too. the worst part was finding parking. a bit of a mood killer in Hillcrest on a weekend.Special Features:
- Fabulous EveninglocalgalDined on 5/2/2014We go regularly to this intimate restaurant. He had spinach ravioli in a spectacular portobello mushroom cream sauce. I could have been jealous, but I had scallops in a lemon/onion sauce over asparagus/sun dried tomato risotto. Both were equally tasty. And the service is efficient and pleasant. This is why we keep coming back.Special Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the Fig Tree Cafe - Hillcrest reviews archive.
- Best cheese board everLuckPusherDined on 4/27/2014We had the best cheese board I've ever had here. Great variety!Special Features:
- pleasant mealiZenDiegoVIPDined on 4/24/2014We were looking for some comfort food and went away satisfied. As usual the staff was super friendly and the food tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love local foodsCharmingDined on 4/24/2014Great atmosphere with Italian or 'Provence' flair. They even have Nero d'Avola for those who love wines. It's a Sicilian wine from the Siracusa area. Very nice polite people are serving you. The beet salad and the crispy egg plant salad are fantastic. The rigatoni with duck would be much better without all the cream that masks the taste of the duck. Unless you are a cream fanatic and are not concerned about your waist, I would suggest you order it with the cream on the side. The pizza is excellent too. It's great that everything is locally sourced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I recently wentTurtle29Dined on 3/28/2014My wife and I recently went to The Fig Tree for our five year anniversary. What a wonderful meal! The food was delicious and the service was great. It made for a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual spotRMM1Dined on 3/21/2014The food at Fig Tree is very well done. The service of the waitstaff is impressive. The were very attentive and quick. Food was delicious. Very nice beer and wine list as well. Great place for a quiet, casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have eaten at Fig TreeKMACDined on 3/16/2014We have eaten at Fig Tree about 10 times- both for breakfast and dinner and it's always excellent. Well prepared, slightly unusual California cuisine at its best. Friendly and well informed staff, good wine selection. We like too try new places but often can't resist returning to this really excellent restaurant. Try the Jidori chicken-yum!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceCulinarianDined on 3/7/2014I went with a coupon the first night. I was so impressed, I took another friend there for brunch two days later. Small and cosy - I asked the waiter for his recommendations as well as researching on Yelp. I recommended it to a group of three who loved it.Special Features:
- GREAT FIG TREESamosaLoverDined on 2/21/2014Amazing ambience. good varied menu, decent prices, good service. never felt rushed! First time patrom, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingChicaVIPDined on 2/15/2014Wasn't awful but wouldn't go back with all of the other fab options available in San Diego. Food was pretty underwhelming. Wet soggy unseasoned spinach, boxed-type pasta with sauce that tasted like it came in a package with the dried pasta. My husband ordered meatballs which were two tiny blobs of meat in broth with beans. Eck. Won't return!
- What a GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2014We love the relaxed feel of this place and will definitely return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous portionsHungry1SDVIPDined on 1/3/2014We made open table reservations for a Friday evening. I was surprised to see only two tables with guests. The waitress was a bit slow but the portions were large. We started with 2 spreads-- both were tastes and they came with plenty of bread. The lamb was ordered medium rare-- it came out medium, but it was still good. We took home leftovers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, so...gardengalVIPDined on 12/29/2013Third time dining at Fig Tree and again find the food adequate but nothing to rave about. The sauce on the salmon was very good but the fish was completely overcooked. The mashed potatoes held together but flavorless--tasted watered down. Hubby's pork chop topped with a delicious sauce of apples and onions BUT meat was so overdone that it was tough. Our server was very nice and even brought us a free dessert to compensate for a long wait time for food (no bread or any other pre-meal offering to tide us over). That was a very nice gesture but he can't make up for lackluster entrees.Special Features:
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/7/2013Our waitress was exceptional and tried to make up for the disappointments about the food. Quantities were huge and unnecessary, but not even presented in an appealing way. The Seared ahi looked grey in color and very unappetizing. Would not recommend or return to this restaurant.
- Great little placeBryanWVIPDined on 11/21/2013Always excellent food, extremely friendly staff, always a table! One of our favorite spots for a good, comfortable meal! A steak was overcooked and they were extremely apologetic, replaced it quickly, kept the other dish warm while we waited and gave us dessert for the inconvenience. A lot of respect for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newver disappoints!katsjamDined on 11/9/2013This has become my new "find" and everyone I bring there loves it, too. The service is as great as the food.Special Features:
- Creative and tastySuzyCreamCheeseDined on 11/5/2013Fig Tree prides itself on local, natural and/or organic fare. And they do great stuff with it. The food was creative - avocado and artichoke tapenade, for one. Good sized portions - like the ravioli! And plenty of choices. The service was also great, and the bill did not require a second mortgage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and great atmosphereaurelielDined on 9/27/2013Food was great, service was great too. Will definitely go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took too longSlowserviceDined on 9/18/2013The place is nice, food was good, but the service took too long. Staff was friendly but it took 3 hours to get through the meal. The food was good but not good enough to go back and wait 3 hrs. They need more staff to keep up with a full restaurant, especially since it was restaurant week!
- The Fig Tree First ExperienceMgkernDined on 9/15/2013Went here to utilize Restaurant Week's great opportunity to try new places. The service was lovely. The ambiance was good though a bit noisy. Only complaint was that the short ribs were just so-so. Lobster ravioli were excellent. Desserts were excellent. We'll try this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time!JandKandCanadiansDined on 9/12/2013Waitress made every attempt to ensure a great dining experience, including amending an appetizer prep for my diet! Fresh yellowtail was amazingly prepared and I would go back just for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great ServiceLVFElPASODined on 8/30/2013We are visiting from out of town so trying new places to eat is part of our travel agenda. We found the Fig Tree Cafe. I had the Jidori Chicken, kind of reminded me of my favorite "chicken under a brick" from Macaroni Grill. The flavor and juiciness was perfect, a sauce that complimented it well. Excellent! My partner had the special for the evening, scallops, they served about five and they were large, excellent as well. The sauce again was great. Our dinner was really tasty and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for vegetarians and meat loversTheGoldenGeekDined on 8/24/2013We took our vegetarian friends here for dinner, and they and we (meat eaters) both came away happy. Two of us started with the happy-hour-special-price flights of wine -- a fun way to enjoy different grapes. My reds included a Chilean merlot, a Spanish shiraz, and an Argentinian malbec (natch). We chose two bruschettas--a mushroom-and-gorgonzola and a roasted tomato--as appetizers. For dinner, both vegetarians and meat eaters enjoyed the parmesan-and-panko-crusted baked asparagus. Mine was accompanied by the yummy short ribs and mashed potatoes, theirs by the margherita pizza. We shared a tiramisu with a latte or capuccino, and a good time was had by all. The service was impeccable, the ambience gayborhood-friendly. A gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazing!mcdanielCU03Dined on 8/23/2013Thank you Fig Tree for helping me celebrate my birthday. Had a party of 12 and service, food and staff were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!robinVIPDined on 7/27/2013Delicious food, reasonable price, surprisingly large portions!Special Features:
- Great beet salad. Good pizza,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2013Great beet salad. Good pizza, as long as you are not expecting anything vaguely like New York style. Everything was very bright and fresh tasting. Only complaint was that the fish in the fish special of the evening was a bit overcooked. Two of us ordered it and both our pieces had the same problem. Person who had the frozen key lime pie for dessert said it was "excellent". Server friendly, patient and pleasant. Very good coffee and nice wine choices.Special Features:
- awesome foodGlutenfreeliveDined on 7/6/2013great local place lots of regulars come back again and again food and staff Brilliant! EXCELLENT GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS Lobster mac and Cheese outstanding!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGmellDined on 6/28/2013The food is excellent consistently - Gia's service is superior time and time again. We love Fig Tree!!
- Gluten free options!Jay13Dined on 6/13/2013Took my niece and with a variety of choice for gluten free meals she was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2013From the moment we got there, the service was attentive, the food was amazing and the food portions were ample. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little neighborhood restaurantSoCalEaterVIPDined on 4/29/2013Nice little neighborhood restaurant, good for before show, movie, etc. as it is quiet when having an early dinner. Good food, reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.