Fifty West Restaurant & Bar
50 Stone Road West
Guelph, ON N1G 0A9Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Fifty West Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fiftywestrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5197803727
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cameron Bryce
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private dining available which will accommodate from 10 to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Simpson/Danielle Miller 5197803721
A word from Fifty West Restaurant & Bar
Join us at Fifty West Restaurant and Bar for a truly memorable experience. Let our talented brigade of cooks prepare a deliciously unique meal, created with an emphasis on local sustainable agriculture. Try one of our signature steaks cut from only the best Wellington County beef. As an accompaniment, choose from our exquisite wine list which is sure to satisfy any taste and compliments our menu perfectly. Whether it is for business or pleasure, relax in our elegant yet comfortable dining room or enjoy a cocktail on Guelph"s largest patio. Come to Fifty West Restaurant and Bar where "Our Kitchen is your Kitchen."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fifty West Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (8)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Thanksgiving Dinner to DryTooDry2EnjoyDined on 10/12/2014Had the family out for a traditional turkey meal. Everyone was served what seemed to be dry, day old Turkey Loaf vs a fresh tasty carved Turkey. Very disappointing with the food when the meal average $50 per person.Special Features:
- Won't go backMelindaDined on 10/10/2014We arrived at the front, and was told by two passing workers, to hold a moment. We finally had someone come and get us and asked where we would like to be seated. Firstly, we have never been there, how are we to know and after telling him it was our anniversary that we would like something quiet, he told me "honey, it's friday and we are busy, it won't be quiet"...how rude. The server came, took our starters and drinks, after coming back and telling my husband that the red wine he chose wasn't available, he told him to choose for him, he came back with a white. Dinner was horrible, the only thing good was the steak was done but ruined in maple syrup, and who puts pecans in mashed potatoes? My chicken was dry as was the entire meal.
- very goodbelle1TsiDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed the food very much. We had mussels, calamari, soup, duck, pickerel & steak., great selection we had a difficult time deciding. The portion size was reasonable and the food delicious. The staff was very accommodating to someone in our group with Celiac, and most things could be done gluten free. The service started out wonderful, then just dropped off after we got our mains. A different server eventually came and asked if we cared for dessert and coffee, all but 2 desserts were sold out, and even then it showed up long after we were done our coffee's. A long wait again for the bill, then our original server was back? We waited at the front desk for quite some time, and eventually I just went behind and grabbed my own coat.Special Features:
- nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food was very good and our waitress was wonderful we seemed to get a lot better service then other people. Had a good dinner wish they would have done something special or at least a nicer table when told it was our 5th Anniversary. Was kind of disappointed in that. But all and all nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 or 4 star?ListowelDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant has the potential to be a 4 star property. It was our first time on August 30th and we would drive from Listowel to eat there again and enjoy their Executive Club membership.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tenderloin overcookeddinerinedenDined on 8/8/2014All our other dishes were outstanding and my overcooked meat was cheerfully replaced, but a steakhouse should do better. We enjoyed the patio. which was away from the road, and featured retro music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuelphiteDined on 8/4/2014Good quality food, service on a weekend lunch time was a bit slow although restaurant was very empty.Special Features:
- Great Food - Amazing SteaksTwoTurtlesDined on 7/26/2014Went there with my wife on a Saturday evening in July. Not overly busy but well attended. Nice atmosphere, great service and amazing food. The appetizers were very good and well presented (shrimp cocktail and ploughmans platter). The mussels at the table next to us looked and smelled amazing - and though an app were meal sized. My wife and I both ordered steak (steak frites and ribeye) and they were both amazing, tasty and cooked to perfection. True steakhouse quality, some of the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 44 reviews are from the Fifty West Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Just okEvM2304VIPDined on 5/10/2014The food was ok, the service a bit pushy, overall just a so-so experience. I'm sure Guelph has better spots, it's convenient if you're staying at the Delta but otherwise will go somewhere else next time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014A wonderful spot for an office lunch celibration. The service is great and the food is always wonderful.Special Features:
- sunday brunch delightpappy14Dined on 3/2/2014My wife and I went for the first time to enjoy the Sunday brunch for our anniversary. Great food, service and atmosphere. Recommend the place and will be looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took friends for brunch,brunchbunchDined on 2/16/2014We took friends for brunch, and perhaps our disappointment came from having high expectations...in any case, it failed to live up. I think the food could have been outstanding (it certainly had the appearance a cut above the usual buffet fare), but some of the dishes had not been kept hot enough, and that took away from what would have been an excellent dining experience.
- Inconsistency Outweighs EffortsTravellingDinerDined on 2/14/2014I've eaten at Fifty West ~5 times, and the staff is extremely pleasant. However, there is a notable level of inconsistency from course to course and visit to visit, and at times a bit lacking in attention to detail. While one course could be a contender for one of the best I've ever eaten, the proceeding menu item could leave one wondering if they're still in the same restaurant. I have had a lobster appetizer arrive frozen in the center with surprise it wasn't fresh, but have spend days raving about the proceeding chicken entree. I've fallen head over heels with perfectly cooked scallops, only to be let down when followed by bland, dry, pre-made and reheated halibut. The gamble could pay off well, but risk is certainly still present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but forgettableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014The soups were excellent and the best part of the meal. We both ordered Wellington steak with frites. Both were cooked exactly as ordered. The cut of meat was really fatty and the knives were more like butter knives than steak knives. The steaks came just with the fries, no other vegetables which was very disappointing. Service was great despite being very busy. They were very knowledgable about the menu when we asked about certain items. It was good but there are many other places I'd go to first. We're not from Guelph but if we loved close this would be a nice spot to drop into. Otherwise there's lots of other places in the same price range with superior food.
- Slow start, good finishluvmyfoodDined on 2/14/2014Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were greeted quickly, and or coats were take, hung up, and we were seated quickly. Our server was slow to come back, but have excellent service when he did come back. The antipasto had a good selection of cheeses and cured meats, but the bread was a little crusty for my liking. The appetizer of prosciutto wrapped scallops were to due for. The main course of lobster tail and beef tenderloin medallions was cooked to perfection, and the mashed potatoes were ridiculously rich. I'll probably be going back for our next special occasion.Special Features:
- Great timeMsw1Dined on 2/11/2014Took my girlfriend for an early valentines day dinner as we both have to work the day of. Great service, steaks were exactly as we ordered. Would love to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant seem disorganizedtalexVIPDined on 1/27/2014Restaurant seem disorganized when we got there and took a while to be seated. Service at the start was very slow, it took quite a while for waitress to initially come over. After that she was very attentive and very helpful. Was disappointed in the size of the portions for the food. I had salmon, good taste very nicely prepared for the size would consider it a lunch size portion. It was served with three small pieces of potatoes and one and a half Brussels sprouts (3 pieces) and some sprouts for garnish. Another guest had the steak and frites and found the meat quite touch and had quite a bit of fat on the edges of it. Last person had pickerel and it was over cooked, quite dry.
- I expected way better for the costOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013I had booked reservations for a birthday celebration for my husband and our four teenage children. The restaurant was not busy and adequate staff was on hand from what we could see. I have one 11 year old son who ordered a Caesar salad with steak...I had specifically asked for the steak to be served separately from the salad but it came on the same plate. He was only given a butter knife to cut it with and since our server was absent for quite long time frames, I had to actually track her down in the kitchen to get one. We had ordered appetizers and our empty dishes sat on our table for at least 1/2 an hour before she came back to collect them...and our dinner still wasn't ready. We were there for 2.5 hrs. Food was good however.
- GoodKealderDined on 11/1/2013We would try it again. The scallops were cooked perfectly, as was the duck. The waiter was friendly and prompt with service. The dining room was almost empty, but the lounge side was busy. We were one of 2 tables in the dining room, next time we will take a table in the lounge since we like to be around other people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rekindling friendshipjoyjoyDined on 10/30/2013my 2 friends and I had a great time and the pasta we ordered was the best ever! The salad mix was out of this world - really yummy, and the custard was to die for! The servers were prompt and Nathan who took care of us was very pleasant, professional and inspite of very busy crowd that night, he ensures we were taken care of and he didn't make us miss that dessert to finish off the night. WE will definitely go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whole lot of wow!DynamicDuoDined on 9/25/2013Our visit to Fifty West was as good as always. We select it for our most special occasions. Our appetizer was a lovely tease, our main courses were creatively presented and desserts were inspired. The flavours were sometimes unexpected and really delicious. We enjoyed a custom mixed drink by the bartender that was a magical creation. This was a perfect way to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerMichelleDined on 9/21/2013My husband and I were celebrating our 19th wedding Anniversary. When we were first seated, we found that the table was very wide. The hostess offered for us to sit in the lounge/bar area which was nice. The food was excellent and well as the service. When it came to dessert there was nothing chocolate on the menu so our waitress went to ask the chef and she came back with a complementary chocolate dessert :). We would definalty go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningDenverDined on 9/21/2013The waitress we had was very pleasant, not over the top annoying with kindness. Just perfect. The food was excellent. We had the scallop dish and the salmon both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely go backIzziesDined on 7/30/2013Food on par with any higher end restaurant. Probably the best vegetable/feta salad I've ever had. Main courses were perfect portions, great presentation. Very good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had Brunch here on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013We had Brunch here on a Saturday and found when we arrived that there was a buffet breakfast option, which we opted for. The quality of food was very good and the selection was adequate. We would go back.Special Features:
- Lily our waitress was a sweetheart,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2013Lily our waitress was a sweetheart, made lots of wonderful recommendations. Service was amazing, adjusted my wife's drink to suit her wants without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made the mistake of notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2013I made the mistake of not going with our waiter's suggestions and my shrimp and lobster pasta, while tasty, had shrimp made out of cardboard. They were overcooked and inedible. The waiter offered to take the dish off the bill (always a nice gesture) but as were were there for a fund raiser (Taste for Life) I declined his offer. The salads, drinks and my co-diners' meals were excellent and the service was fantastic. I would recommend it. Their portions are surprisingly large which definitely gives the diner more bang for his/her buck. I highly recommend the lollipop lamb or the goat cheese/cranberry salad as an appetizer. Wow!Special Features:
- 3 people returned their meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/20133 people returned their meals. Mine and my wifes were ok, not great. People that had steak said it was very good. Had to ask 3 times for water, ask for ground pepper, didn't ask anyone else except me. We had a party of 15 and the guy at the bar was our server. I had booked 2 weeks in advance for my wifes 50th birthday. VERY dissapointing
- I had a very nice meal andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2013I had a very nice meal and all of my guests seemed to enjoy theirs too. Excellent and enthusiastic service made for a great first experience. The food was interesting and tasty, and the wine list was short but interesting and not crazy prices. What I really liked as a frequent traveler is that the restaurant while located at the Delta Hotel, had its own entrance away from the main hotel and didn't feel at all like a "hotel restaurant " I will definitely recommend 50 West and will keep it in mind for a return visit.Special Features:
- Very nice servers and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Very nice servers and excellent food. Would reccommend to othersSpecial Features:
- I have been there severalMauriceVIPDined on 2/4/2013I have been there several times, but this was an off night. It was not busy, but the food arrived cold. Appetizer was a total miss, had some gloppy sweet sauce that was a mystery to me. Wine selection good.
- The service was great, theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The service was great, the food was yummy. .. we both had Taste of the County..a nice selection of reasonably priced wines as well!Special Features:
- This is what happens to aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013This is what happens to a restaurant after the honeymoon period is over. First - lacklustre service - the wine came AFTER the app arrived at the table. Second - mediocre execution of what appear to be reasonable food concepts - the Butcher's Block shared app was missing elements promised on the menu and poorly assembled - a few desultory shards of bread, some hacked up cheeses that seemed suspiciously like the ends that should have gone into the fondue. Salt does not equal 'flavour' in the main courses - my cappelli d'angeli with lobster and shrimp was almost too salty to eat, same with the bernaise on my dinner partner's steak. Over-salting is the sign of a slightly lazy kitchen. The espresso was good though.
- First time there....and wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2012First time there....and wasn't sure if it was the right place for the occasion....the ambience was great, the service excellent, and the foot outstanding. I had the rack of lamb and others had steak......everyone thought the food was great...lamb was one of the best I have had. Definitely the best restaurant in Guelph for upscale evening dining in Guelph.Special Features:
- Dinner excellent, brunch not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Soup and entrees where excellent. Wrong dessert was brought to table, but was also excellent. Although dinner was very good the brunch leaves something to be desired for the cost.Nice place for a special night out, fantastic staff, great beer and wine selection, and excellent food.Special Features:
- i could not finish my sirloinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012i could not finish my sirloin due to the amount of salt it had. my friend's steak was very tough and fibrous. the table next to us was obnoxiously loud. not worth the money spent.
- Great food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Great food and great service. We were a large group and ended up being a bit rushed, but the staff were excellent as was the foodSpecial Features:
- Upscale restaurant with boring menuFurbyVIPDined on 7/27/2012Fifty west is in Delta Hotel which is part of a business park near the University of Guelph. It advertises itself as upscale and unique however lunch menu selections are less than inspiring. Food was tasty and well prepared but fish and chips or soup and salad selections were not particularly different or uniquely presented- especially for the $13-14 price tags. Dinner menu may be more interesting but most of lunch selections can be found in any family restaurant. Ambiance is good although a little dark. Service was excellent although there were very few patrons there for a late lunchSpecial Features:
- Decided to try the summerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2012Decided to try the summer burger menu. All the selections sounded delicious. Went with the Jeff Teeter Totter burger and was not disappointed. Great combination of flavours. The service was once again very good. Very attentive staff. Very friendly. Will definitely be going again to try the other burgers.Special Features:
- Great job by staff and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/26/2012Great job by staff and wonderful dining experience again.Special Features: