Fifty Seven LA
712 South Sante Fe Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90021Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Fifty Seven LA
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fiftysevenla.com/
- Phone: 2138168157
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Nayfeld
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For private dining and special events, please contact Jessica Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: Reflecting the vitality of the downtown Los Angeles Arts District, Downstairs @ Fifty Seven will showcase a diverse calendar ranging from artist residencies and musical performances to lectures, Salons and events by arts and culture luminaries, from here and abroad.
A word from Fifty Seven LA
Located on the old Heinz '57 loading dock in the Arts District in Downtown LA, Fifty Seven is a restaurant designed to showcase the talents of a rotating roster of chefs from around the country. Each chef will have the opportunity to feature his or her original concept for a season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Fifty Seven LA - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Fifty Seven LA reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (34)special occasion (33)hot spot (27)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)scenic view (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Triple birthday celebration!dan91024Dined on 9/5/2014A wonderful night of food, friends and celebration was topped off by their desserts. The fruit crostata was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night out!LisaPDined on 9/3/2014Enjoyed eating outdoors on a beautiful September evening. The french rose wine was delightful and paired well with some of the food items. This is my second time at Fifty-Seven and I will return for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new placecatmomDined on 9/3/2014This is a new place in the warehouse district in downtown LA. The new chef comes in every 3 months. The food is inventive and fun. The setting is terrific, one of the old warehouses with brick walls and floors. The alleyway outside, lined in brick is used for seating. Very, very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014THE FOOD WAS SPECTACULAR!!!! APPETIZERS WERE ESPECIALLY GOOD, NOT TO SPICY BUT THE WINGS HAD A KICK TO THEM. THE PARKER HOUSE ROLLS WERE A SURPRISE AND DELICIOUS. MY WIFE HAD THE CHICKEN DISH WHILE I HAD THE VERY THICK PORK CHOP. WILL GO BACK FOR MORE.Special Features:
- 57!cvoodooDined on 8/31/2014Great new spot just getting started with some really dynamic yet comfortable flavors and feelings. Cool open kitchen design, and before you go into the restaurant make sure to look thru the outside "chef window". It's a beautiful view of what the kitchen refers to as "the pass". A place where every dish that is served to a guest is touched, tasted or adjusted. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful find downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had a great dinner here with friends for my husband's birthday. Attentive server and wine director, delicious and creative cooking, beautiful interior. We had a series of shared plates, each delicious. Added plus: not hard to get a reservation. The criticisms of other diners had me concerned before we went, but I didn't find them to hold true in our experience. Seemed no more expensive than other similar restaurants, and unlike many other restaurants of similar calibre, the noise level wasn't too high to have a conversation. As a birthday treat, we were brought a plate of small sweets at the very end of the meal with "Happy Birthday' written on the plate in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquidCoreatsDined on 8/23/2014The squid was so rich yet the largest portion served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fifty SevenFirstbiteDined on 8/22/2014The food was inventive but not jaw dropping, the service was good, the noise level was rather high but not unlike other new cool eateries, the feel and look of the place was very inviting and yet I was missing that extra magic I experienced at Bestia the first time I went there. Maybe the next chef will change that. We are experiencing a wonderful renaissance of new upscale restaurants so it is so hard to have what I think was an average food adventure. I want these places to dazzle and survive for a long time.Special Features:
- each dish was amazingvalleyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014interesting combination of flavors...presentation excellent...and just plain old delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Food was fantastic, and service was great, the general ambience was nice but the one major con was the noise level, I had a really hard time hearing the servers and the people I was eating with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not deliver.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were very excited to go to 57, even with our early reservation. (asked for 7:30 - 6:30 was the closest). Strangely the place was empty &stayed so until 8:00. (table next to us was never seated) Since they boasted live music at 9:00 we thought we would make an evening of it. Our server was in a state of perpetual fog& had a way of making everything on the menu seem less then appetizing. ("It's like a fancy tuna salad" Pass.). Maybe because she tried the food, which, had very little flavor. Nothing was bad but nothing was good. At least an unattentive server meant we could dine slowly and we did, finishing about time the band was due on at 9. By 10:15 the soundcheck continued. We cut bait& called it a night. Fair food - no music.
- Outstanding!DowntownerDined on 8/14/2014This is my new favorite place. The food was creative and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good concept needs better executionjohnatDined on 8/10/2014The old warehouse district by the LA river is turning over rapidly with new restaurants, bars, residential & design lofts. Fifty Seven fits right into the entrepreneurial spirit that the area's new denizens bring. It operates a bit like a restaurant incubator with new chefs rotating in every 4 months -- an awesome growth concept. The outdoor setting is marvelous as were the small bites: roasted peppers, whole roasted prawns, ahi & summer peas, uni on parker rolls, but the steak entree poorly prepared. More troubling: Inconsistent pacing & service. If Fifty Seven was part of Johnson & Wales or the Culinary Institute of America, such inconsistency might be acceptable. But the restaurant charges market prices, so expectations are higher.Special Features:
- Creative dinnerhappytummyDined on 8/5/2014Good, fresh food laid out in creative combinations. Steep on the price but I guess it comes with the territory of being touted as one of the hottest restaurants in dtla. Excellent service, very industrial chic venue, will be back for the downstairs bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, food, and food!AmirDined on 7/29/2014We went back late July and the food was exceptional. High quality, nicely done, and fresh. The service was very good too. Desserts were great too. Love this place!Special Features:
- Not as expectedbarhopper30Dined on 7/26/2014i was looking for some great food and romantic setting. didn't get that here. would be fun if i was with a group and talk really loud. had to yell for my date to hear me and she was two feet awaySpecial Features:
- Best dinner I've had in a long timeKED123Dined on 7/26/2014The place is super cool, the food is amazing and the staff is incredibly friendly. Downstairs is a live music venue so don't miss it after you eat. And don't miss out on the squid, the grilled provolone and the crostada dessert.Special Features:
- bday treatdaisy444Dined on 7/26/2014went to celebrate my partners birthday. staff was very welcoming, ambience was lovely, service was attentive when it needed to be, but they never rushed our experience, and the food was amazing! the kitchen appeared to run smooth, and we will definitely search out chef josh drew in his other endeavors... we thoroughly enjoyed his take on everything from appetizers to dessert. that said, we also love the idea of rotating chefs & look forward to our return visit:) highly recommended!Special Features:
- CaseyBDined on 7/25/2014Fifty-Seven was really interesting because the concept behind it (a rotating head chef-in-residence who does his/her own menu over the three months or so at the restaurant) means that it will constantly feel like a new, just-opened space. The service were very put together, though, and helpful, and the food was fantastic. I'd be happy to come back for the next chef and see how it changes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Great dining experience service was fantastic and dishes were great. Wonderful spot downtown especially for a romantic evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DudeDined on 7/17/2014Menu did not quite make it. Harrisa on burrata? Sweet and sour eggplant was al dente. And I did not expect the "crispy" part of the pork belly to be bread crumbs. Tasted like a cutlet from a cheap Midwest diner. Decor was cheap and uncomfortable. Wine pours were skimpy. Waiter seemed like he would rather be someplace else, and after a while so did I. So near to, and yet so far from, Bestia.
- DELISHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014GREAT FOOD, SERVICE AND ROTATING CHEFS IS A GREAT IDEA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hot Spotdw61Dined on 7/11/2014This restaurant has incredibly creative, tasty and artful creations. Fabulous night, albeit very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Aside from the visually delicious interior design, the atmosphere here is great. There's room for improvement when it comes to service, but where it mattered (our server) it was great. Hostess and bar need more attentiveness to their guests or making them feel like they're being taken care of. Food on the other hand lived up to the hype. Chef Josh Drew produced some inspiring delicacies, my personal favourite was the salted pork with caviar snap peas and fresh herbs, my adventurousness got the best of me.we ordered the snails on grilled provoleta. if there's any way i hoped to try snails for the first time - this is it. it was a great experience. We skipped downstairs; wasn't sure if it was that night's event but it didn't look appealing.Special Features:
- a pre-theatrer findfogiesnightoutDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant has been open since March and the staff is trying its best to make customers feel welcome. They are doing a good job. My wife and I decided to try 57LA because we were going to the Music Center and enjoy the new restaurants opening in downtown Los Angeles. The interior is subdued and pleasant with a nicely moderate sound level. This may be the result of our early dinner hour. We shared a light dinner of appetizers which were all very good with the exception of the abalone crudo, which neither of us enjoyed. The suggestion of a sparkling wine to accompany the meal was a good one and the dessert, a delicious peach cobbler, was perfect to share. We even made it to the Music Center with time to spare.Special Features:
- Experience 57CinziaDined on 6/28/2014I went there with my Boyfriend, great restaurant, great food, great service. Amazing spot! + Music Downstairs. I will go again soon. CinziaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is so-sograymatterDined on 6/27/2014Drinks and apps are tasty but underwhelmed by all three of our entres - halibut, salmon and chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good Aps, Good WineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Party of 4, we had 2 sea trouts, duck and chicken and dumplings. All very good. Aps were also very good. You can easily come and nosh on aps. Max the wine director is awesome, gave us a taste of very cool orange wine. Mixed drinks also A+.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014The food is still good but not what it was. Chef David's menu was still there (5/30), but he was not, and we thought it made a difference. The staff seems to have been reduced too, although the service is still fine, just not outstanding. Wine list is somewhat overpriced in some cases at least. Wondering how things will unfold under the next chef starting in June . . .Special Features:
- Welcome addition to Downtown LAGaryDined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful experience at 57. From the service to the qualify of food to the presentation, it would have hard to do better. The plates, both small and large, were inventive and prepared wonderfully. My one small complaint is that it I would have preferred had the restaurant not used the recorded music. It wasn't loud or intrusive, but just present enough to be annoying. That aside, we had a great evening.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Fifty Seven LA reviews archive.
- Best Carrot EverAcesDined on 5/21/2014We had the house cab, a mezcal cocktail, the halibut, "carrot" and deviled eggs. All were superior in taste. We love Bestia around the corner but Fifty Seven will give it a run for it's money with the nice, spacious atmosphere and delish cocktails and veggies done like you will not forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointingWorldDinerDined on 5/17/2014We had high hopes for 57 based on friends recommendations, but cannot do the same. It was a sloppy experience from the beginning, with some of the worst-trained servers in Los Angeles. Food was good, but nothing special. Took over 30 min to take an order, and that was after requesting to order twice. Wine ordered took about as long again, meaning that after being seated for an hour we had nothing on the table. More tellingly, at no point did a waiter or manager notice or even ask. Food came out awkwardly and basically under temperature. Second bottle of wine took 25 min to bring, and was wrong bottle. Another 10 for replacement... and so on. Deserts were simply disgusting. One of the few places that I would avoid.
- Probably not againHardtoswallowDined on 5/17/2014I was impressed when I walked in had a few minutes wait before seated and a much longer wait for service after I was seated. Our glasses remained empty for long periods of time and a long wait between my app and my entree. I think the place may be new. Lots of staff in bluebirds going back and forth but just not stopping at my tableSpecial Features:
- Trendy. Industrial.LuvwineDined on 5/9/2014Loved the exposed look. Very industrial and modern. They also charge $2 water bottle service a donate those proceeds to the LA food bank. Awesome!! Enjoyed the good. A little on the German side for us. They invite new chefs seasonally. We will definitely keep in the news with this restaurant. We enjoyed the great service. Opened just under a couple of months. Took our own wine. They do have a sommelier in the restaurant. Always props.Special Features:
- Good food and better serviceradmanDined on 5/1/2014And no attitude! Inventive preparations, especially the vegetables and herbs, all fresh in season. And did I mention friendly service and no attitude!Special Features:
- Better restaurants in neighborhoodTrvlzooExperienceDined on 5/1/2014Had the chicken and bratwurst. Bratwurst wax tasty with side pretzel but, was not very filling and service was not that great. I feel you can get better value for your money at some of the other neighboring restaurants. Bestia for example would bring small plates over compliments of the chef so you could taste other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Great concept. Rotating Mich* chefsMsIrmaVepDined on 4/29/2014Love the concept. The staff is congenial. Offered us champagne to celebrate our anniversary. Menu, despite from Chef David of EMP fame, was rather lack-luster in options for a tuesday night. The dish with the morels were delicious, but everything else we ordered was not memorable. We should've done the duck, considering EMP is famous for it. Noisy inside with the music, and sitting outside in the alley was perfectly romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014we celebrated our anniversary at 57 recently and our server, chris, was excellent. he went above and way beyond to make sure our experience was enjoyable. we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- CoolTJGourmetDined on 4/26/201457 is a gem. Love the old building and how it was refurbished into the restaurant. The service was terrific and the food delicious. A surprising find and one we will frequent again. The menu had a good selection and even a dish for my vegan wife who loved her carrot entree and compared it favorably to Blue Hill in NYC.Special Features:
- Vibrant and ExcitingLuvDiningOutDined on 4/17/2014A great experience. A mix of entrees and shared plates, all wonderful culinary and sensory discoveries. Vibrant and handsome decor and vibe; very cool and trendy. The service was friendly and well-meaning, but a bit sluggish. But irs only been open a few weeks. Really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.