Ferrara's Kitchen and Bar (fka Caffe Nuovo)
76 Salem St
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ferrara's Kitchen and Bar (fka Caffe Nuovo)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caffenuovoboston.com/
- Phone: 8577534615
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Tuesdays-Sundays 7:00am-2:00pm Dinner: Tuesdays-Sundays 5:00pm-11:00pm Also open on holiday Mondays for brunch.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Ciulla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Roberta Pavei 8577534615
- Entertainment: We have TVs and ambient music.
- Special Events: Please contact us at (857)753-4615
- Cross Street: Stillman St
- Public Transit: Close to the green line at Government Center or the orange line at Haymarket.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is right down the street from Caffe Nuovo at the corner of Cooper Street and North Margin Street on Cooper Street Parking Lot. Another option is the "Parcel 7 Garage" at Haymarket.
A word from Ferrara's Kitchen and Bar (fka Caffe Nuovo)
Ferrara's Kitchen and Bar (fka Caffe Nuovo) is a traditional Italian Cuisine restaurant located in the heart of historical North End on the way to the "Freedom Trail". Serving brunch and dinner from Tuesdays through Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ferrara's Kitchen and Bar (fka Caffe Nuovo) reviews from OpenTable diners
- A hidden gem in the northOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2012A hidden gem in the north end, Ferrara's boasts a lively ambiance and more inventive food than I've found elsewhere on Salem St. The service was typical for north end restaurants - nothing noteworthy, but good enough. This place somehow seems to avoid the North End "Slam" on the weekends, we could actually get a seat at 6:30 on saturday night without planning weeks in advance or standing around for an hour (a welcome change of pace in this neighborhood). To me, this defies logic because Ferrara's is one of the better restaurants in the area! The food should also be recognized for being better and more interesting than most of the North End restaurants with a similar price point.
- Had dinner here with someOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2012Had dinner here with some girlfriends on a weeknight. The food was fine but nothing spectacular and I thought my dish was too salty. Also presentation was kind of strange...the orecchiete with the broccoli rabe and sausage came out in the skillet I guess it was cooked in. I liked Cafe Nuovo for brunch and they've kept that menu too if you feel like breakfast. I think I'll stick to coming here for brunch on the weekends in the future.Special Features:
- Food was good, service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2012Food was good, service was excellent, but the prices are a little high ($50 total bill for a breakfast for two).Special Features:
- Terrible - don't go!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2012Our first clue should've been that it was rather empty on a Friday night in the North End. The staff was friendly enough until we decided to leave after appetizers and the waitress scoffed at us "being too full" as we politely tried to decline ordering entrees. To add to the experience, we were served the wrong bottle of wine - a Syrah instead of Shiraz which we just drank to get out of there and the calamari was the worst I've ever had. I had heard great things about this place but it appears it's changed ownership and this was by far my worst North End experience ever.
- The food was delicious andimendoza884Dined on 5/4/2012The food was delicious and I loved the ambiance of the restaurant. Its small and very quiet. Great for getting together with your friends and talking for hours on end. The only thing is that even though it is a small restaurant, the service was only fair. Our server would not come back to our table for awhile and it seems like she is "newer" to working as a server.The other thing is some of the appetizers are a little expensive for what comes with it, like the crab cakes.Special Features:
- The food was good, but a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2012The food was good, but a little on the expensive side. The staff was incredibly courteous and helpful!Special Features:
- Had a great hamburger andJojoVIPDined on 4/18/2012Had a great hamburger and an excellent Martini before the Celtics game. Really enjoyed this place!Special Features:
- Delicious Food, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012These guys really took care of us. We were late for our reservation and they were kind to hold our table for us. The wait staff was attentive and kind. They did tell me that I would have gluten free choices and when I got there the only thing they offered me was a side dish of polenta. While it was the best polenta I've ever had, it was TINY and not nearly enough to eat. Next time I will go to a place that has a gluten free menu. Everyone's portion sizes seemed a little on the small size, actually.Special Features:
- Freezing dining room and no garlicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/15/2012Ambiance... Freezing cold in restaurant, and the dining area overlooks kitchen. Quiet and handwork g back there, but it's not my preference to o serve how the kitchen runs. A cold temperature restaurant ruins my experience... It immediately takes "warm and cozy" out of date night. As an appetizer we got the stuffed artichoke. Not cooked enough, and It was smothered in unflavored bread crumbs... I never had unseasoned, unflavored bread crumbs before. I am like the next person in loving the bread crumbs, but there was an overabundance that was too overwhelming to enjoy. The cook doesn't seem to like garlic... Our meals lacked that as well. I ordered the homemade fusilli and meatballs. Meatballs were dense and were only ok. Pasta ok
- Made a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Made a last minute reservation for 4 @ 8:30 through Open Table. Seated promptly upon arrival. Prix Fixe menu as well as regular menu avaiable. Ordered Calamari appetizer for the table- excellent. Eveyone ordered off the Prix fixe menu. 3 course meal including 2 glasses of wine for $50 per person. Rib eye steak with garlic mashed potatoes, roast chicken breast, Atlantic Salmon and Lobster Fra Diavlo were all delicious. Appetizers and desserts were also excellent.Service was very good. Entrees were a little slow coming out, but we didn't mind as we were enjoying the atmosphere and the appetizers had kept us satisfied. The hostess did apologize for the delay. Owner also sent a round of drinks, Nice touch. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great service and great apps!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Great service and great apps! Very fair prices especially for the location.Special Features:
- This truly is a hidden neighborhoodWendyEVIPDined on 12/23/2011This truly is a hidden neighborhood gem... don't let the tourists in on the secret! Amazing chicken & waffles for brunch, giant pans of pasta at dinner. Enjoy!Special Features:
- If your looking for real ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2011If your looking for real Italian food, this is not the place, I just returned from a week in Tuscany and thought the North End would bring back all the great memories. Not to be. The mussels where good . we had 8 people and no one was overly impressed. Meatballs where good also. When I commented that our stuffed artichoke had no capers (listed in menu) a free order of mussels appeared. Also they were out of some of the wines on their list. Some of the comments at our table were "I've had better and I've had worse"
- Exceptional food! Waiter wasScituateFoodieDined on 11/25/2011Exceptional food! Waiter was slow even though it wasnt that busy. Waiter didn't refill water, made us wait for the last two main courses to arrive for 10 minutes. He dropped the check without asking about coffee or dessert. But the food was worth dealing with the waiter. Exceptional veal. Gnocchi was great. Pasta with homemade meatballs was very tasty. Stuffed artichoke was a highlight. Highly recommend but hope they train the waiters better.Special Features:
- Quiet weeknight ItalianMmmgoodDined on 11/22/2011We had a nice quiet dinner here on a Tuesday night. My vegetarian daughter and husband were happy that there were several vegetarian choices on the menu, and I was happy that there were meatballs. My husband's creamy polenta with mushrooms was well worth snagging bites of. At the end of the meal, my daughter ordered gelato for dessert, and we were surprised when it arrived--it was easily the equivalent of three full servings, and very very tasty to boot. Our waitress was quite pleasant and attentive. I wouldn't call this a romantic place, because you have a full view of the kitchen, but it's a relaxing place to have dinner on a weeknight.
- Great find! We had a 6:45OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2011Great find! We had a 6:45 Sat. night reservation for four and were taken to our table the moment we walked in--cozy, modern space with an open kitchen. The service was excellent but leisurely (perfect for a Saturday night out with friends) and the prices were reasonable. The caesar salad was more than enough to split (which the kitchen did for us). Our table had three different pasta entries as well as the salmon over polenta--all were excellent. All in all it was a most pleasant dining experience and we look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Salem St has the Best RestaurantsGreatDined on 11/13/2011We went there on a Sunday, so it was a bit more quiet then it would be on a Friday or Saturday night. We each had a great meal - oh, and the bread with the garlic olive oil was outstanding. We had the stuffed pepper for an appetizer and the fusilli with meatballs and orchietto with sausages and broccoli rabe for our entrees. The orchietto was fabulous! I couldn't finish it it was so big and took the rest home - it was the best left over lunch I ever had. We had a great waiter, Boyd, who was very friendly and informative. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Enjoyable, simple food. GreatmoosemenancyDined on 11/11/2011Enjoyable, simple food. Great specials. Something for everyone, to include our resident foodie. Beautiful new atmosphere. Brand new wait staff did a reasonable job. Wine list was a little small, but they did bring a full bottle of Prosecco to the table when we asked. Very nice evening and we will be back!Special Features:
- We had a weird waiter, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011We had a weird waiter, but the rest of the experience was pleasant and the food was yummy!
- We were visiting our son forcartersm99VIPDined on 10/22/2011We were visiting our son for the weekend and looking to take him and a few of his college friends for something nice to eat in an interesting part of town. This one is not on Hanover St, but it is in the area and probably is less expensive as a result. The outside of the restaurant is not impressive but once inside we were led down to a pleasant dining room. Food was very good, Octopus salad, fried Kalamari, lobster bisque, Prosciutto and Salami all great starters. We had veal milanese, and veal 'parm' along with a fish dish and all were good. Wine list is average but not overpriced. We had no room for deserts so no comment. We would go back for sure .
- We had a wonderful meal. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2011We had a wonderful meal. I had mentioned on open table when making the reservation that we were celebrating our son's 21st birthday. They called me and asked what they could do special for dessert. They went out of their way to go to a favorite pastry shop close by to get his favorite cannoli's! A memorable meal made special by the staff!Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2011Delicious brunch, the lobster Benedict was phenomenal and so are the truffle eggs. Went there for dinner as well and had a fantastic meal. Am dying to go back.Special Features:
- Love that place.In North endOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2011Love that place.In North end is hard to find something nice modern and good food like thatSpecial Features:
- Dinners as good as the brunches!WendyEVIPDined on 9/14/2011First time eating the new dinner menu here after multiple delicious brunches. My friend and I split a salad and each ordered a pasta. We had the beet and arugula salad - although split, was still really big. Salad was fresh, not limp, and the dressing was delicious. The pasta portions are huge - served in a 12" pan - and perfectly al dente, flavorful, and hot. Highly recommending.Special Features:
- Great food, good price.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2011Food as good as Hanover Street, but the prices are lower because it's not on Hanover! They catered for our group of 10 with no problem. Food was excellent - home made fresh pasta was delicious- and a great range of fresh specials. All very reasonably priced and the wine list had some real bargains.Special Features:
- good food, horribly slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2011good food, horribly slow service. We had reservations for 8:30 pm, got seated promptly, and did not get our dinners until 10:25 pm. It's really too bad, because the menu is excellent, and the servers seemed to be working hard. But a note to the owners- if the service does not improve, this place will not do well. And believe me, I really want it to do well!
- Poorly runSeasonedTravellerDined on 9/3/2011Reservation for 4 at 9pm on Sat night. Walked through the North End, passing many restaurants with waiting lines. As we got to Caffe Nuovo there was no line and it was less than 3/4 full. But I digress. We arrived at 9; were promptly seated. We got wine quickly but too long a delay before ordering. I ordered the stacked eggplant appetizer and mushroom tagliatelle. It tasted wonderful but was ice cold in the middle. Back it went. It returned much later and was at least pleasantly lukewarm (I eat food much colder than most people so my lukewarm is your cold). Oh well, things happen and it's a beautiful evening. 'Promptly' at 10:20 our dinners arrived and my dinner was-wait for it-cold. Manager explained they were busy. Find another business.
- They did a wonderful job hostingLynneDined on 9/3/2011They did a wonderful job hosting my father's 70th birthday dinner on Saturday night. It was a large group and we all had a wonderful time. We loved the food and the staff was very attentive to us. We will definitely recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Seems to be known for breakfast/bruOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2011Seems to be known for breakfast/brunch, but we thought it was a great dinner choice. Delicious and fresh food, friendly staff, well-priced. While the menu is pasta heavy, there was a very good variety of choices. It could be suitable for kids, but really could use a kids menu or 1/2 orders for the younger set. Be aware they do not have a full bar, good wine selection and some cocktails. We eat in the North End every couple of months and would go back.Special Features:
- This place was nice but theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2011This place was nice but the service was awful. I came here because i heard the food was delicious. I almost couldnt enjoy it because the service was so terrible. Unfortunate.