Feng Asian Bistro
93 Asylum Street
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Feng Asian Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fengrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8605493364x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: John Chen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Feng Asian Bistro
Feng Asian Bistro is definitely the place to be. The overall impression is stunning and the swirl of the crowd is exciting. The mix-match possibilities of a menu with sushi and sashimi, rolls, hand rolls, platters, main dishes and sides boggle the mind. Just reading the sushi bar menu makes your mouth water: "Foxy Lady" with calamari, papaya, avocado and salmon; "Italian Stallion," with shrimp tempura, cucumber, asparagus, spicy yellowtail and aoko and momiji sauce; and Feng's signature roll "Number 93," with deep-fried soft shell crab, Parmesan cheese, jalapeno, black caviar and flakes of real gold. With its sophisticated, upscale atmosphere, Feng seems more like the type of restaurant you would expect to find in New York or Boston. It is a refreshing change of pace for diners in the market for something a little more out of the ordinary.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Feng Asian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Feng Asian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)good for groups (18)special occasion (17)great for lunch (12)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (6)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014When we arrived for my son's birthday dinner, we were greeted outside by the manager and the executive chef/owner. We were coming in with a group of 15, including some friends who are in town for a conference. They were absolutely some of the friendliest staff in a restaurant, and with such a large group, our waitress nailed every single order from apps through dessert and cordials. The food was fantastic and they were able to accommodate mediators to vegetarians without breaking a sweat. We have been here before and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My server was not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I'm in Hartford once a year for a weekend conference and always stop in at Feng for great sushi. The catch: I have to eat gluten free. They've usually taken great care of me. This year, they even had a gluten-free menu to offer, which pleased me greatly. However, my server seemed less certain about how to take care of me than servers I'd had in previous visits, and I had quite a long wait for GF soy sauce to be provided. Finally had to ask a different server for help.Special Features:
- outstandingoutstandingVIPDined on 10/4/2014went out for a late night dinner last night...we just loved this place...food was outstanding, service fantastic...everything we had we just loved!! So taken care of and sushi is so fresh and innovativeSpecial Features:
- A bit unevenOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/3/2014The seafood scallion pancakes were outstanding, raising our optimism. The the spring rolls were dreary, and nothing else lived up to the pancakes. The Florida red snapper was well prepared, but it came with a dipping sauce that tasted as if it were full of that nasty chopped garlic you buy in a jar. Sushi was fine, but not remarkable. We may to there again, but we're not in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Previous experience has been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The restaurant was not very crowded for a Saturday night, yet the noise level was significant. Our server was very pleasant and appropriately attentive. It was a warmer night than usual for this time of year, and rather humid outside. The front door was left open, and I found the temperature in the room to be very uncomfortable although my fiancée did not. We ordered one appetizer to share, and only a few moments after it arrived, our entrees did, as well. I felt very rushed. This overall experience is much different from the excellent ones we have had in the past.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findTorontoVisitorDined on 9/16/2014Food and selection was great...moderate pricing, staff are great. Very nice setting, a little noisy is all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never going back!Lady06231Dined on 9/13/2014Awful from the first moment. Hostess stand confused. Waiter more appropriate for a diner. NO ONE came to our table without being flagged down with waving arms. Staff clueless. SCALES in my mushy tuna roll. Dirty plates, empty glasses. Check inaccurate. Abyssmal.
- FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Always great fresh sushi, sashimi and specialty rolls.Special Features:
- Never come here againNoparkingDined on 8/16/2014I specifically made a reservation at feng hartford because they advertise free parking for dinner on Saturday. When we arrived we were told the policy had changed but the website had not been updates. How convenient. This restaurant was very empty on a Saturday night and perhaps this is one reason. They are liars and swindled my husband and I. Please feng, be honorable and stand by your website.
- Another exceptional evening!GeorgemDined on 8/14/2014I get to Hartford on business a few times a year, and Feng is always 1st on my list. Menu, food quality, atmosphere and especially the service, make this restaurant one of my favorite sushi spots in the country. This trip was no exception. Fabulous! What I love most about this spot is that I can take anyone there....sushi novice or pro....and the servers are so knowledgable and professional that they put everyone at ease and guide people through the menu and menu choices. The fish is spectacular in both presentation and preparation, as well as quality. Great work Feng! Love it!Special Features:
- FENGGJMOREDined on 7/30/2014This restaurant did not disappoint me. It lived up to it's hype!! The food was very good. The service was outstanding. Very attentive which I appreciate. We had to sit in the bar area at a high top due to large parties in the main dining area. The ambience was lovely and we didn't mind the bar area. It was quieter than the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit, Won't Be LastcttwinDined on 7/30/2014Thanks to Hartford Restaurant Week my sister and I ventured out of our normal routine (dinning in West Hartford or Middletown) and headed to Feng Asian Bistro. Fantastic is all I can say, I am still thinking about the delicious cod.Special Features:
- dinnermrmuffin27Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent place for a nice dinner. So much more than just sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014I decided to try Feng because I wanted something a little upscale and loved the sister restaurant Ginza. The online menu looked creative and delicious and I was happy to see them offering free valet parking as parking in Hartford on a weekend evening can be challenging. I pulled up and not only was there no free valet, there was no valet parking at all. The experience went down hill from there. Numerous items on the menu were no longer being offered but they didn't tell us that until after we ordered and they brought out things that were completely different from what was on the menu. We sent back 2 appetizers, ate the sushi roll and left. The same sushi can be had at Ginza for a lot less money and non-sushi items were awful. Don't go.
- Never disappointsMattVIPDined on 7/17/2014Feng is one of the best restaurants in Hartford. Food is always fresh and prepared with style. It is a favorite.Special Features:
- One of Hartford's bestwanitaDined on 7/12/2014As always....a delicious meal - don't pass up the Miso Soup - good wine selection, attentive waitstaff and comfortably sophisticated ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lulu125VIPDined on 7/9/2014Feng's never disappoints. Try the shrimp tempura appetizer - yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 480 reviews are from the Feng Asian Bistro reviews archive.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I've visited Feng's several times and consider it the best sushi and sashimi in the Hartford area. However, this time I was blown away by the outstanding service. Our waiter - Harry - was great. He was attentive, helpful and very professional. Thanks Harry!Special Features:
- Decent food, terrible staffcakesplashDined on 6/14/2014I was excited to eat at Feng, as it has excellent reviews, though I will not be returning or recommending it to anyone. It's very nice inside, but my party of two was seated at a cramped table against the wall, and it took a while before anyone came to take care of us. The waiter began to ask if we were interested in cocktails, then started to say, "I didn't realize...", and when I asked what he was talking about, he changed the subject and asked if we would like appetizers. We both ordered appetizers, a large roll, and a basic roll. The basic rolls were never brought out, though we weren't charged. We were never asked how our meals were, and were pretty much ignored. No one ever refilled our water glasses. Not impressed.
- Horrible ServiceRushedDined on 6/13/2014We were looking forward to this restaurant as it was rated highly for sushi. We made a reservation for 6:00 pm and we were seated promptly. The restaurant was fairly empty at this early time with maybe 6-7 other tables occupied. The service was incredible slow for the number of customers in the restaurant. It took our waiter 25 minutes to get to our table. Other tables had better service so I got up and asked if I could move to another table, this prompted the manager to step in and the adjacent waiter to assist our waiter. The menus remained on our table for 40 minutes after we sat down. The food and service from Ginza is much better. We will not return to Feng.
- They triedRenatkaDined on 6/13/2014We asked for Tuna tartare that wasn't on the menu and it was prepared specially for us. Previously it was served just as chopped tuna and we could spice it up to our liking, this time it came with a lot soya sauce. Lamb pieces were just ok. Previously they didn't want to accept the Feng appreciation card, this time they did accept and they apologized for the the previous missunderstanding. Feng in Canton has more elaborate menu and better atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Asian FoodBRealDined on 5/23/2014Terrific food and being Gluten free - appreciated that they had a separate menu that wasn't just thrown together. Also really good cocktails! I'd recommend the Fengtini. Very nice expereince all around.Special Features:
- Good foodmmousDined on 5/11/2014Well thought out menu with diverse options. While the standard sushi and sashimi is present, numerous items displaying culinary range are also a fair portion of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent As AlwaysScooterDined on 5/11/2014Great Sushi; Dim Sum Brunch was great; I hope this becomes something you do more often!!!Special Features:
- Hit or miss experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014We dined as a large group for a birthday celebration. Overall some enjoyed their meal ( Peking duck, wood grilled sake, lobster roll, clam chowder) while others only liked a portion of their meal ( Chilean sea bass, pan seared scallops, tone halibut). The desserts were homemade and very good.
- MikeDined on 4/30/2014AS always great food and NUmber 93 roll was the special of the day...AWESOMESpecial Features:
- Amazing foodJandJDined on 4/19/2014The sushi and sashimi were amazing! The service was fantastic too. We had a wonderful evening at Feng, and look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but probably won't be backImpressedcustomerVIPDined on 4/5/2014The restaurant is well furnished & food is better than adequate, but frankly the place irritated me. I wasn't fond of any of the staff, they only have 2 full booths (which I find to be much more pleasant),& they charged me extra for having no fish & adding some vegetables to a szechuan dish. The manager removed the extra charge but was very clear that the next time I would be charged (I assure you, I muttered to myself that there would not be a next time). It all seems so petty but everything was difficult for them. For instance: The waiter told me tofu couldn't be stir fried, then later he made offensive personal comment, the Xtra charge, & the general attitude of doing us a favor, all made it a less than pleasant evening.
- Great sushi!MerHadDined on 4/2/2014My friends and I went to Feng for my birthday dinner. We were there on a Wednesday, so it was mostly business dinners around us. We commented on how attentive our waiter was. We were all impressed with the sushi options, and they even made a special order of Chicken Teriyaki for my friend who is a little less adventurous. It was a bit pricey, but worth it. I would definitely recommend Feng and I hope to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go againCeebeeDined on 3/29/2014The seafood was fresh and delicious! Presentation was on point. I would take the hour drive to Hartford just to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book of. NormanKornDined on 3/29/2014We went to fend prior to seeing a show at the bushnell having tickets for a 8:00 show. We informed the waiter when we were seated for our 6:00 reservations, admittedly early for dinner. He assured us he'd have us out in plenty of time without rushing us. You must get the Peking duck which they actually offer for one. Everything fr apps, d sum sampler shared to dinners were perfect. If a special occasion splurge on the Kobe beef app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this placeDinerFromHoCoDined on 3/26/2014Feng is one of the few restaurants I eat at when traveling as it's close to my company's Hartford office. Never had a bad experience there. The food is good and atmosphere is fine. The reason I am writing this review is the service. During our last visit, we had one of the best waiters that I've had in a very long time. He was polite and prompt, as one would hope. He stood out with his knowledge of sake' (explaing the different kinds and why they were different) and the food - really "selling" the menu without being overbearing . When I asked him to pick a sushi roll, he had the chef create one that wasn't on the menu. Having been in the restaurant business for many years, he was the waiter that every manager wants 100 of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodgasmFengfanaticDined on 3/21/2014Went before going to see a show at the Bushnell and it was perfect! The food was delicious, the service was friendly, and the atmosphere was great! The food wasn't heavy on my stomach as I sat through a musical wearing skinny pants on a date. A personal win was that there was no mayo in the shrimp tempura roll!!! Would return or recommend in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent,excellent!GeorgemDined on 3/18/2014The menu was excellent. Great variety of sushi items, fabulous presentation. Our server was extremely knowledgable and attentive. Everything about Feng was 5 star in our opinion. We were there for a dinner meeting and felt well served and never rushed or intruded on. I'll definitely return on any trip back to the Hartford area.Special Features:
- Great timeMikeDined on 3/18/2014I made reservations for my gf and I to eat here. I added a request for my girlfriend, nothing crazy, but something little that would make her smile. I noticed they couldn't do the request but did something almost as good, which still impressed her and made her smile. Good job Fengs! The food (simple salads and sushi hand rolls) were delicious and reasonably priced. The decor and lighting was very nice. Waiters and busboys were polite and attentive. Overall a great experience! I hope to go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2014Great fresh & imaginative sushi but they need to bring back the rice pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!T1025VIPDined on 3/13/2014Feng has been one of my favorite restaurants since it came to downtown Hartford. It has an amazing Happy Hour from 4-6pm and even a late night Happy Hour. Feng has the best sushi in CT by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed and OverchargedNomNomInHartfordDined on 3/7/2014Feng's has a contemporary Asian plush luxury, with two gracious dining rooms and a vibrant bar at the front. Convenient to downtown Hartford, and they seem to provide discounted/free valet parking. However, the pricing of both the food and the drink is expensive for the quality/quantity. The appetizers (we had miso soup & steamed edamame) were simplistic, but pricey and "impressively" plated. The sushi rolls, though fresh, were not worthy of the steep charge. In addition, our server kept trying to refill expensive sake orders without request, or permission, and strongly encouraged us to order more (especially the most expensive menu items). Pushy. Good for impressive dates or business dinners. Not so good for casual sushi lovers.Special Features:
- ANOTHER GREAT TIMELennyVIPDined on 2/22/2014This time we brought friends who were visiting from out-of-town and are known for critical reviews of any place they've found first. To our surprise they were sincerely impressed with every fact of our dinner - from the welcome at the door to the the final good bye after enjoying 4 fantastic dinners with all the extras. We knew Feng is fantastic, but we were pleased the have that feeling shared by others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My recent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/21/2014My recent dining experience left me feeling a bit unhappy. I ordered the General Tso's Chicken, which I have had in the past, but this time the chicken was not fully cooked... The waitress was very apologetic and offered me something else, I declined. This in no way changes love for Feng! But I won't order that dish again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.