Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
279 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.federaltandk.com/
- Phone: (401) 454-8881
- Hours of Operation:
Open Lunch & Dinner - Kitchen Hours
Sunday 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Monday - Closed For Lunch / Dinner 3:00pm - 10pm
Tuesday - Thursday 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 11:00pm
Appy Hour: Monday-Sunday 3:00pm-6:00pm
Bar Open Later Nightly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Vargas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Monday- Every Monday is "Appy Hour Day"
Tuesday- "TNT" Taco & Tequila Tuesday
$3 Tacos and $5 Tequila Specialty Drinks
Wednesday- Wine Down Wednesday,
30% Off all Wine Menu Bottles of Wine
A word from Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
Federal Taphouse & Kitchen. With a Creatively constructed menu and Over 50 Craft Beers on draft and Bottles, The Federal Taphouse & Kitchen has become an Urban Comfort Food "A must go to dining spot", Located on Historic Federal Hill, Its casual atmosphere invites you to come in and enjoy a Hand Crafted Cocktail, glass of Wine or one of our Locally sourced Craft Beers, while feasting on small plate appetizers, flatbreads and Salumeria boards that are all meant to be shared. We believe in using locally sourced ingredients. Using our Sister Company The Spring House Hotel is a major provider of most of our vegetables during the growing season. From potatoes, Garlic, Swiss Chard and Varietal Greens as well as from many of Rhode Islands local farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Federal Taphouse and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (18)good for groups (15)special occasion (14)romantic (11)late-night find (10)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great new placePHS2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great food and service. Try the Chicken soup, the scallops, the chicken and the pasta dishes. Actually, I would recommend you try it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much better than Prime!AmyBVIPDined on 11/8/2014I live in walking distance to the Hill...never ate at Prime...overpriced meat...but this place has reopened under same owner as a super cool craft beer/fun cocktail spot that happens to also have really good food!! The autum salad was delicious and really different. The cod was cooked perfectly and my friends raved about the scallops and said the carrots were roasted to be so sweet they would come back just for them! I cannot wait to come back and try some of the flatbreads too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Kid on the BlockNYVan66VIPDined on 11/8/2014Made reservations, but came early for the Happy Hour drink list and menu...awesome. This was a find. Then seated for dinner. Another great time. Wonderful server, interesting gastro-pub menu and atmosphere. We were not disappointed in either our bar experience or the dining experience. HIGHLY Recommended. Dine early...it does fill up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal Taphouse and Kitchen shinesAlexVIPDined on 11/1/2014We dined at the new Federal Taphouse and Kitchen and were not disappointed. The food was excellent, The appetizers, especially the calamari and nachos were delicious. I had the ribs and they literally fell off the bone. My wife had the rigatoni bolognaise and found it delicious with the portion too much to finish. Our server Liz and the wait staff was very attentive to our table. While we were there both the dining area and bar were full with great atmosphere We will definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not greatLabba19Dined on 10/31/2014my fiance and i were excited to try the new Federal Taphouse. we had seen the reviews and had loved Prime. my fiance had a glass of red wine, while i had a beer tasting. all the of our drinks were good. they have a reasonable amount of good beer on tap. the problem is with execution of the food. i had the short rib dish. while it was good there was only one piece of short rib with mashed potatoes and some veggies. for $26 i feel that the portion was extirely too small considering we were at a bistro pub. my fiance got the burger for $17 (grass fed beef) it was overcooked and dry with no condiments. if you are going to charge that much it better be great. it wasnt. overall a great place but prices are high for a "bistro pub". fell short IMOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in progressSTEVEDined on 10/25/2014Given time they may work the kinks out of the kitchen and service. Some servers doing a good job. Manager seems very involved and concerned.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Visited for parents dinner over parents weekend and hosted my daughter and wife. Food ranged from excellent to not so much! Brown sugar Bacon Flatbread was terrific, Osso Bucco was outstanding, Tenderloin Tips Diane was good and Salmon was a dissapointment.Special Features:
- Worst Restaurant on Federal HilcranstongourmandVIPDined on 10/25/2014Truly awful -- from lukewarm martinis to mussels with no meat to hard as rock calamari to paper thin burgers. Service was poor. The waiter laughed at every comment we had. He was deaf or couldn't understand English. It calls itself a taphouse yet the beer selection was awful -- brands that couldn't be sold in real taphouses.
- First dateFoodie1977Dined on 10/24/2014I went on Friday night and was on a first date. I consider myself a big foodie, and enjoy the farm fresh to table concept. The food was amazing, the beer was great, and they were able to honor my request of a table in the back corner. The one drawback though was that the music was incredibly loud......felt like I was screaming through the whole date.....made us want the check so we could leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great barrifoodloverDined on 10/24/2014The food was terrific, but it was very loud. Creative salads, a great scallop dish, and great dessert (apple peach crips). Good for a fun night out.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!NPdinerDined on 10/22/2014Not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting typical pub food but I was wrong. The food was AMAZING!!! Calamari and sticky ribs were awesome and the grass fed burger and steak tips followed suit. Great beer list, great bar scene, great atmosphere. Finally a relaxed place on the hill. Definitely worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok...NEgalDined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere is nice for a late night beer, but was not impressed with the food. The menu looks/sounds great and diverse, but quality of food does not meet expectations.Special Features:
- Love it!kaf518Dined on 10/17/2014Had dinner there on a Friday night with some friends. The food and atmosphere are awesome. Love the fried chicken and waffles and the sticky Thai ribs as an appetizer. The food is really exceptional. Will definitely be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexVIPDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant was formerly know as Prime, The restaurant made some menu changes with less emphasis on steaks. The casual atmosphere was a nice change. There are many choices of craft beers, the appetizers were outstanding, especially the calamari and the Thai ribs that just melted off the bone. For dinner, we had the scallops that were done perfectly, not overdone. Service was excellent. We will definitely be back to try the ribs and rotisserie chicken on the next visit.Special Features:
- Great Menu, Great AtmosphereEatoLiveDined on 10/8/2014Went for lunch on Tuesday and enjoyed the menu and service, decided to try dinner and was not disappointed, we had the Thai Ribs as and appetizer and my wife had the Rotisserie Chicken was "to die for" her words! Great bar and beer selection. Thais may be our new hangout...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome new place!!NPdinerDined on 10/8/2014What a great find! It's nice to have a more casual place on the hill that still gives that fine dealing feel. The beer list was impressive for a smaller restaurant and the food was absolutely phenomenal!!! I was expecting "ok" food but i was totally wrong. Everyone's food was amazing. The staff really goes out of their way to make sure you feel at home. Overall it was an excellent experience and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFederalHillLoversVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our server was the best! Good food,good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Not the original PrimeFnkyDined on 9/6/2014Mixed review. 1st of all, if you are looking for the upscale Prime stake house--this is no longer the case. New ownership, much more casual; we were celebrating a birthday and expecting a fancier place. Food still good but menu limited. It was hot and the AC was broken in the entire restaurant somehow. The service was sub par---brought out the salads with the appetizer (pet peeve) and managed to cook the wrong type of steak for someone in party; that being said they did let us keep the wrong steak, the correct steak and dessert were on the house for their bad service so they at least tried to make right
- YummmmoYummoDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Providence Prime twice now and I keep getting blown away by the food! The first visit we tried the boar chops - wow was that good! This time we tried the shrimp and grits - that was amazing. Our entrees were delicious and plentiful portions. For dessert we had the tiramisu, which is the best that we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningNPdinerDined on 8/21/2014Started off with appy hour at the bar. $1 oysters and $6 filet sliders can't be beat! We had dinner and Kandace was our server. She was awesome! The food was excellent and the service was top notch. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tea4twoDined on 8/8/2014Food was amazing...the quality, the preparation, and the presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beRIFoodie9VIPDined on 8/8/2014This place used to be our go-to place to meet up with friends, take out of town guests or just go out for a nice meal. I was sad to see that they changed their style and menu. Our favorite apps had been removed from the menu and several dishes had also been removed. The steaks we ordered were delicious and thankfully they still offered the amazing sweet potato hash which is our favorite side dish. I do liked the new layout which makes the restaurant seem more open but wish the old menu would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night outDee1Dined on 7/26/2014Prime is an excellent spot on the hill! They've made some great changes to the overall feel and concept of the place and now it's somewhere you want to go not just for a special occasion but on a regular basis too. They recently updated their menu and now offer tapas and some amazing new entrees. Everything we had was fantastic and the staff and service was awesome. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 368 reviews are from the Federal Taphouse and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great night out.PrimedforPrimeDined on 7/19/2014We had requested a quiet table and were accomodated with a table for four in a niche by the window. The service was great and the food was phenomenal. My son-in-law had told us it had the best steak he had ever eaten and he was right. The petite filet mignon melted in my mouth. We were able to have a nice dress up date night thanks to Providence restaraunt week.Special Features:
- OutstandingTeachKDined on 7/18/2014Providence Prime is fantastic. From the Valet to the wait staff to the delicious food the experience its amazing!Special Features:
- Good foodAverageDined on 7/18/2014The food and service were both very good. However, due to restaurant week the portions were much smaller.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsWineandDineDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful restaurant week meals for only $29.99 - WOW!! From first courses - Caesar salad with shaved parm and white anchovies (requested) and the Thai calamari, main courses of 8 oz. filet and salmon Oscar (homemade Hollandaise sauce), to tiramisu and the best creme brulee I've ever had, everything was delicious. It was a pleasure to not have just an entree in the middle of the plate. Both meals came with sides of homemade mashed potato (1 was garlic mashed) and veggies (1 zucchini, 1 grilled asparagus). Tried Providence Prime for the first time. Will definitely return. Also, was pleased that valet parking was available. It can be crowded on Federal Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ContentDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I chose Prime for dinner during Restaurant Week. Immediately upon entering we knew we made a good decision. The restaurant is beautiful, service was so attentive and kind, and the food was absolutely fantastic! We had calamari and steak satay as our appetizers, both had perfect filet mignon as our main course, and finished with vanilla bean creme brûlée. Everything was wonderful! At regular price it is definitely a splurge, but they offer bar specials each day from 4-6:30PM. We are going to take advantage of those next visit! The only surprise was beer prices - more expensive than wine and majority of options were bottled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MRS11Dined on 7/16/2014We have been to Providence Prime many times and it's never a disappointment. Always a great dining event!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find!HeabouDined on 7/15/2014I really enjoyed Providence Prime! A friend and I were out on a girls night out and were lucky enough that it was Restraunt Week in Providence. The food was outstanding and the service was great. The prices were in line with "food on the Hill", the only reason this wasn't 5 stars is because I was disappointed that the drink portion of my bill was more than my food. The prices for the drinks were not on the menu that is provided with great discriptions and I was in a little shocked when my bill came.Special Features:
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014I'm sorry but the last time we were there last year we had more of a steak selection than just the 2 that you had. 3 of us had steaks that were overcooked and not as juicy. We didn't complain because we were hungry. For the price it wasn't worth it at all. We brought a friend who I raved about the place to and he wasn't impressed at all. It was really unfortunate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014we were there on our 30th anniversary the service was great the food was excellent .they had a great variety of drinks we were there during providence restraunt week everything was great portion size was good. they gave us a champagne toast. they gave us a very good cake for dessert on requested on line . first time there I would recommend to try you wont be disappointed I will return for dinner when were in town thanks for everything. bob an doreSpecial Features:
- First Time Dinercatcity2Dined on 7/12/2014Went to Providence Prime for Restaurant Week, greeted warmly by arrival and seated promptly. Very excellent food and great presentation. Waiter, Tyler, was great! I love the way they go out of their way to make sure every thing is perfect for you. The Maitre D was exceptional and the Valet guys were prompt and courteous. We will be sure to stop in again as food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucyDined on 7/9/2014My husband I dined at Prime to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. I can't say enough about the service and the quality of the food. We have never had a better meal anywhere. We left satisfied and happy.Special Features:
- SurprisedGoodnightout99VIPDined on 7/8/2014We have not been to Providence Prime in over a year and they have just changed their layout, decor and menue in the last month or so. The new layout is much more open and comfortable, the decor more casual and then menu is a huge upgrade and offered a great variety that all looked excellent. The meal did not disappoint, the service was ok and they were not busy at all on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Steaks!2foodiesDined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed another dinner at Providence Prime. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. Dinner was delicious, from appetizer of calamari to steak tips and filet mignon with mashed potatoes and asparagus. The only slight disapointment was the gelato for dessert. It's texture was off, not smooth creamy as it should be, but rather like ice milk, could have been a freezer thing. Our server was professional and notified the kitchen and manager, who brought us a take home replacement dessert, which we explained was not necessary. We will definitely continue to dine here, both the food and service shine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in progressNoCigarDined on 6/27/2014Overall, entree items were very tasty, attractive and fully met expectations for my wife and me. An appetizer, "Colossal" shrimp cocktail, as described in the menu, could be called medium, so be sure to ask for free extra pieces for that price. Server was not knowledgeable about the content of entrees - that needs to be fixed altho in (some) fairness, server was very new to the organization. We will likely go again because we have faith in the brand that includes Prov Oyster Bar and Springhouse on Block Island ...Special Features:
- Providence PrimecherobrienVIPDined on 6/26/20141st time in Providence and found this place on Open Table. We were not disappointed. Food was great, service too. Would return upon our next trip through the area.Special Features:
- Great for group celebrationsStephanieCDined on 5/23/2014This was all of our first times eating at Providence Prime. I had heard about it from a friend so we decided to check it out for a birthday party. We were not disappointed! The waitstaff was very attentive to our needs and offered some great food suggestions. The steak was nicely cooked (some pink in the middle), and those duck fat fries were awesome. i'd definitely come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The food @ service was excellent worth the drive from Boston.You help to make our anniversary even more specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.