Fearrington House Restaurant
2000 Fearrington Village
Pittsboro, NC 27312Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Fearrington House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fearrington.com/
- Phone: (919) 542-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Colin Bedford
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Fearrington's beautifully appointed dining rooms, banquet halls, and expansive grounds offer a variety of venues for weddings, private parties, and special occasions. Our dedicated event planners will custom design, coordinate and execute every last detail guaranteeing an event that will dazzle your guests. There are several private dining rooms that will accommodate parties from 8 to 50 and our Garden Terrace will accommodate parties of up to 120.
The Barn at Fearrington offers an exceptional venue for large gatherings including weddings, holiday parties, and company events such as barbeques and team building and celebrations. The climate controlled Barn's rustic appeal always greets guests as an unexpected pleasure. The cobblestone entrance way, expansive dining and dancing space, magical twig chandeliers make the Barn one of the most desirable locations in the Triangle. The Barn at Fearrington accommodates groups from 125 to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Kast 919 542 2121
- Special Events: http://www.fearrington.com/wedding/
A word from Fearrington House Restaurant
This romantic farmhouse restaurant, a member of Relais & Chateaux, is "exquisite from start to finish...indeed sublime...at once cleverly original and intelligently conceived, with a nod to tradition," wrote critic Greg Cox of the News & Observer. Chef Colin Bedford's menu is a symphony of the seasonal, local and exotic, carefully sourced and marvelous to taste. Select from an award-winning wine cellar or let Sommelier Max Kast expertly pair wines for each course. Arrive early for an aperitif in the bar, on the front porch of the white-columned farmhouse, in the chairs overlooking the pastures, or while touring extensive gardens. Intimate rooms with fireplaces and exquisite regional art join with the 2011 Gold Medalist menu (N&O) for an exceptional experience. North Carolina’s only AAA Five Diamond restaurant is just a short drive in the countryside, near to Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh or Durham.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Fearrington House Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
Fearrington House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (69)fit for foodies (59)romantic (59)notable wine list (57)scenic view (27)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- WonderfulWCSRDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant met all expectations for a wonderful anniversary dinner, and is as perfectly done as any restaurant you will find anywhere in the Country.Special Features:
- PillrollerVIPDined on 10/23/2014We had an absolutely wonderful dining experience here. Four courses and each course was perfect. Especially loved the squash and parmesan soup and the NC flounder. Everything was prepared and served beautifully. The old house is very tastefully decorated and the fireplaces made it especially welcoming. The host, wine steward and servers were knowledgeable and very attentive. It was my birthday and they made it special and memorable.Special Features:
- WonderfulSkrazDined on 10/22/2014Great ambiance and the food was amazing. I loved it all.Special Features:
- 5 Star5StarFearringtonDined on 10/19/20145 Star Experience. Service was professional, food was top quality, and our dining was personalized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I have been dining at The Fearington House Restaurant since moving to the area seven years ago. We just celebrated our anniversary by having diner there. The food and service were the best I can remember. Absolutely fabulous. This experience will not disappoint.Special Features:
- very specialncnwiDined on 10/12/2014The fireplaces were such a cozy, welcoming surprise on an unexpectedly cool night, especially as we had looked forward to a cocktail on the rocking chair porch. We were so happy to share our neighborhood restaurant with Bay area friends who compared it favorably with their French Laundry experience. In addition to our world class meal everyone enjoyed the carefully chosen wine pairings. Of course the service was perfect.Special Features:
- Wonderful DiningSkiFamilyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Fearrington House was a great find. It is a short drive from Chapel Hill, NC and well worth the trip. The food was creative, flavorful, and visually pleasing. We will return for a special occasion when we visit in the area again. Caution though, it can be hard to find… Google Maps took us close but not to our destination. A quick phone call got us on our way again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXTREMELY DisappointedAnneDined on 9/27/2014We have been so looking forward to this dinner and left feeling like we had spent a fortune on one of the worst meals we had ever had. Maybe because it was SO expensive we expected a divine dining experience. Some courses were inedible like the first course of lamb. My soup was a ridiculous, barely enough liquid to cover the bottom of the bowl. The steak entre' was a strange cut of meat but it was at least somewhat edible.The dessert soufflets were undercook.Even the breads were a poor example of what a high end restaurant should be serving. The server was very kind but she knew we were unhappy because much of our food was uneaten. We couldn't shake the sad feeling of spending so much and getting nothing good in return.
- Perfect eveningNCPelicanDined on 9/20/2014I took my wife to The Fearrington House to celebrate her birthday. The whole experience was above reproach - top notch staff, and even better food. The Chef's Tasting Menu along with the Wine Pairing made it easily the best dinning experience we have ever had. Bravo, Fearrington House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!tootsDined on 9/19/2014Celebrating a very special anniversary. "Happy Anniversary" and our names were specially printed on the front of one of our menus. We had mentioned the bar where my husband and I met 40 years ago in Chapel Hill when we made our reservation. They went to the bar, got one of their special drink cups and had a flower arrangement in it on our table when we arrived--NICE TOUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Magnificent service, but not stuffy hoity-toity. Derrick and Xavier stand out. Beautiful, good atmosphere, unique food, a great special occasion place. Prices high, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectMayberryAttitudeDined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere excellent, our server excellent, food excellent, pricey but worth it for the outstanding food. Only downside was that one of the couples being waited on in the same room were loud and rather than the their waiter use a quiet voice, to tactfully hint that they needed to keep their voices a little lower, he got loud with them. So the night wasn't perfect, but it was good.Special Features:
- food for godsoccasionDined on 9/18/2014Save room for the most delicate, flavorful chocolate souffle imaginable. With the many interim extra offerings, each tastier than the last, and the fascinating flavors of the menu courses, it's important to eat slowly and savor each dish. Chef Colin Bedford combines delicate flavors in exciting ways. This is a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellenceverycriticalDined on 9/18/2014the food at fearrington house never disappoints. the food is thoughtful and delicious, enhanced further by the outstanding, professional and welcoming service. we are grateful to have a restaurant of this calibre in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1foodloverDined on 9/14/2014excellent food and service made it a special night. one of my finest dining evenings everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014The Fearrington Hotel and Restaurant is an incredible retreat. Service is superior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once-in-a-lifetimequeenforadayDined on 9/12/2014The entire evening was an exceptional experience. I felt like royalty. The presentations were incredibly artistic and the tastes were very complex. The service was first class. We felt completely comfortable and stayed for three hours! The whole restaurant was charming and completely lived up to its reputation.Special Features:
- FabulousLindaDined on 9/6/2014The evening was filled with little dining surprise treats. We loved every minute of this dining experience. Daniel was a wonderful waiter who patiently answered all of our questions about the menu and beyond. A meal at the Fearrington House Restaurant will be the perfect gift for our foodie son.Special Features:
- Reasonable splurgeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding gourmet experience. Great service, with intelligent and thoughtful expertise. GREAT place to make a memory.Special Features:
- Bad StartsattimasterDined on 9/5/2014Opentable's note from the restaurant invites you to come as early as 5 pm for appetizers and drinks. That was a mistake. The front of the house was still being prepped. We had to find someone when walked in to help us and the bartender....geez. He literally threw two drink menus at me, my father and mother who was there to celebrate her 65th birthday. Threw them. Let them just slide across the bar. Then was clearly unhappy and when we tried to make friendly conversation, he was just rude. After this poor start, the rest of the evening was excellent. Our server was incredible. The food was amazing. Just don't show up before 6 or you'll get the wrath of the rude bartender.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/3/2014We couldn't have asked for more. Service was impeccable, food was amazing, well worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal EVER -- EVERY time we go!lunchproVIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I celebrate our wedding anniversary at Fearrington every year and we are never disappointed. The service is spectacular and the experience is top notch. We eat at fine restaurants all around the country and Fearrington is still our favorite. Max is a genius with wine and Colin is a genius in the kitchen. Our server Melanie was attentive and made us feel very special. Love it every time and every time we say "this time was the best ever" I don't think a restaurant could hope for anything better!Special Features:
- Wow. Fearrington House RestaurantLAFoodieDcSfRtpChicago2Dined on 8/28/2014Saw a few other parties there. Most were celebrating 20 year or more reunions. Others were here for a wedding. We were celebrating a birthday. Incredible service. Great other personalized service and items that I won't mention, so you can be surprised. Overall, incredible.Special Features:
- orpinotfanVIPDined on 8/24/2014Overall, we were very pleased with our meal at the Fearrington House Restaurant. We had the 4-course dinner with each course paired with a wine from the impressive wine list. Each course was expertly prepared and beautifully presented. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Fab find for Foodieskat1Dined on 8/21/2014This place has been around 40 years, and we've only just visited! The service was impeccable: attentive, knowledgeable but also warm and inviting. Our server, Derrick, attended to us for both afternoon tea and dinner. He was delightful. The food was exquisite. Each portion was meticulously prepared to entice the senses of sight and smell, and then the palate! Afternoon tea was a wonderful repast. Dinner was exceptional, from the amuse bouche to the handmade chocolates offered at the end. Everything here at Fearrington House is directed to the diner. Finely cooked and prepared dishes were heavenly.Special Features:
- What a treatncnwiDined on 8/21/2014My birthday friend declared it "The Best Birthday EVER!" It was such a delightful treat to revisit this longtime gem. The service is professional. The combinations and layers of flavor were awesome. A walk in the garden after dinner is perfect.Special Features:
- Not your everyday experienceAnhonestreviewDined on 8/20/2014I booked Fearrington for our anniversary dinner, and was not disappointed. The service and atmosphere were amazing, and the food did not disappoint. We chose the three course dinner for $95 per person, and a very nice South African red wine for $50. The portions are small, but each dish should be consumed slowly anyhow to enjoy the variety of complex flavors and textures within. If I had one negative comment, it would be that we couldn't help overhearing some of the very pretentious conversations of some of the other diners. This, however, does not reflect poorly on my view of the establishment, it's just a fact you may want to be aware of when booking your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!chrisncDined on 8/16/2014What an amazing dining experience! The service was superb and the food was exquisite. The whole experience was nothing like I had before. The prices are high but it is a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:
- PicapauDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been to your restaurant many times. Each time it seems to be getting better in all aspects. We are happy we live at a driving distance from you facility so that we can enjoy it from time to time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestEricDined on 8/2/2014I have been dining at The Fearrington House for 20 years. This is one of the best restaurants you will ever visit no matter where you may travel. The wait staff and sommelier are attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The food is without peer. With each dish comes several different sauces and complements to the main selection, all meant to offset each other in a delightful way. This type of inventiveness is why this restaurant and chef have received numerous awards. The maitre d' is delightful and stopped by our table to ensure that we enjoyed our experience. The Fearrington is expensive but, in my opinion, well worth it; it is a gem and receives my highest recommendation.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth it!Hard2pleaseDined on 8/1/2014The perfect place for a special event! A true five star restaurant, food and service were spectacular. Started our evening with a drink at the bar and walk through the beautiful gardens. Bartender, Rob, was professional and congenial. Our server, Derek, was as smooth as you would expect in a venue of this distinction, his recommendations were all perfect. Though tempted by the tasting menu, our party of four all went with the four course meal, and nobody was less than completely sated. Chef Colin Bedford's reputation for excellence is well deserved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal I've Ever HadadamandevesmithDined on 7/26/2014Fresh. Subtle. Pops of flavor. Beautiful presentation. Excellent wine pairings. Magnificent staff. We have had meals in some fine restaurants, but agree that this was the best. There was a farm to table feel with the freshness of the ingredients. Flavor enhancers were expertly used, truly bringing out the best of what we ordered - not overpowering it. Every course was eye-catching. Our sommelier was knowledgeable and friendly. His pairings with our food choices were perfect. All of this occurred in a lovely country setting with extraordinary ambience. Service began with staff in the parking lot professionally directing us according to our needs, and didn't stop until we left with our gift bag. It is worth traveling a distance to reach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 809 reviews are from the Fearrington House Restaurant reviews archive.
- FlawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014I dine out dozens of times a year. This was among the best meals I've had in a long time. All three of us had a fantastic time. My compliments to the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacegeneDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful original dishes and great service. It is expensive but worth it for special dining occasions.Special Features:
- outstanding&RaredostadogDined on 7/17/2014A very warm & fun reception at the bar looking out on a perfect setting followed by an outstanding four course dinner with service to match.We will be looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally overratedcocciVIPDined on 7/13/2014I am a native Fremch and gourmet palate . I found this restaurant Pretentious, stuffy, trying too hard with too Many things Decor is depressing. I had tp try it, checked if off the list but way overpriced and unlikely I will returnSpecial Features:
- Fine dinningbrg22brgDined on 7/5/2014Frearrington House is farirly expensive but is well worth the price. The food is excellent and the service was exceptional. It is truly fine dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FearringtonSPfoodieDined on 7/5/2014Superb and complex menu with complexity of tastes. Excellent wine list. This was a special occasion, and the staff went above and beyond yo make it memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after 30 yearsPSS57Dined on 6/27/2014I first visited the restaurant 30 years ago. I went back for my honeymoon after an 18 year absence. I was as pleased with the restaurant as in any of my previous visits. If you have a special occation to celebrate, do not hesitate. you will not be dissapointed!Special Features:
- Excellent fine dining experienceGreekFoodCriticDined on 6/26/2014My out of town friend wanted to try this place. I think it was featured in a magazine of some sort. We went on a weeknight. The food is amazing. I don't know how chefs come up with such creative dishes and ingredient combinations. I have never tried foie gras before; it was delicious. The salmon and chocolate soufflé equally so. Definitely try it if you want a unique experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014My friend and I get together once a year for a weekend and choose an upscale restaurant for dinner. This was a excellent choice. The grounds are beautiful and the setting is in an old home. It is a very expensive restaurant but worth the experience. The menu is inspiring with multiple choices for diffent palates. Our waiter was helpful and extremely good at his job. I would highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features: