Faz - Oakland
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Faz - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fazrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (510) 272-1111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 9:00pm ; Saturday & Sunday: Closed ; Happy Hour: Monday through Friday 4pm -7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Faz - Oakland
At Faz food is about freshness and flavor. This is the inspiration behind cooking. Our culinary style incorporates the cultural diversity of American Cuisine emphasizing Mediterranean flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Faz - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- rtleon101Dined on 10/7/2014Faz happens to be a great restaurant and a fine location for a productive business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was it an off night?TomsfDined on 9/23/2014I've eaten here many times for lunch and several times for dinner. It's a go-to place for a quieter, more upscale dining spot in downtown Oakland. The food, especially the kabobs are consistently good. This night things seemed to be off. The menu was shortened and my kabob was actually tough and overcooked. It was a disappointment as in all previous times everything was quite good.Special Features:
- disappointingcaliforniaflyingpigVIPDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant has a pleasant ambiance (except the live music was too loud) and we were hoping for a good meal. However, our steak kebobs were overcooked and dry. We would not go back
- The following 89 reviews are from the Faz - Oakland reviews archive.
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/14/2014I needed a quiet spot for a downtown Oakland business meeting, so booked a table at Faz. It was disappointing on most accounts. Waiting at the front for several minutes waiting for a waiter/host to realize I was there. "Would you like something to drink?", "can we get some menus first?". I had pasta that was drowning in salty cream sauce. Perhaps this place just specializes in catering events? I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone I know.
- Hidden TreasureHideaway578Dined on 4/23/2014I loved how I was immediately taken care because I reserved my date in advance.... I was greeted well my guest were comfortable & very pleased with the food & service.... We are All looking to come back for various events...... We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moveablefeastVIPDined on 4/15/2014I remember loving the original FAZ on Bush Street. This was a huge disappointment: limited menu, grossly overcooked chicken, worst Cobb salad ever. - No wonder the restaurant was empty at lunch in a business district.
- Too salty!colttoDined on 4/8/2014I like the decor, and the people are very friendly, but my lamb shanks were so salty I almost sent it back.
- Our office team had been atsilkDined on 2/26/2014Our office team had been at this restaurant before, but it seems that things have changed for the worse since we were there last time (maybe 1 year ago). Waiter got 3 out of 5 orders slightly incorrect. Pita bread of the gyros plate/sandwich on 2 orders was burned to the point you couldn't eat it. Disappointed. Salad & Pasta was great, though.
- They were not aware of ourmb1429Dined on 2/18/2014They were not aware of our reservation and so we had to sit in the "atrium" - basically the building lobby. Service was slow,food was ok.
- Distracted waiter?EmilyDined on 2/14/2014I have really liked Faz in the past, but not this time. Our waiter seemed either distracted, inexperienced, or incompetent when he took our order. We waited an unreasonably long time for our food--two cold dishes that did not require cooking--and when it came, one of the salads was wrong. He took it away and then brought the identical salad back! We finally had to pick up the menu and point out what we actually wanted, as telling him verbally wasn't getting through. We also witnessed another diner approach the staff at the kitchen, which was near where we were sitting, and point out a foreign object in her dessert, which one of the waiters pulled out and inspected. Couldn't tell what it was, but all in all, not a good day at Faz.
- great chicken kaboboaklandeaterVIPDined on 2/12/2014i now always order a salad and add chicken because the chicken, same as that served as kabobs, is so tender and juicy. i only wish the portions all around were a bit larger. i always leave feeling hungry after paying over $20 for lunch.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedReenersVIPDined on 1/9/2014Had dinner in Danville location several times and it was busy, fun, good menu selection, but that was several years ago. Saw the Oakland location and chose it for dinner with colleagues. There was a HUGE business firm party going on, and they did a lot of singing, talking on the mic etc., which was unfortunate for our 4 some who wanted to talk. No other tables were occupied at 8:00 on a Thursday evening which was... odd? Service was OK. Not many smiles among the staff (?) maybe because of the large, loud party going on? Menu was very limited which surprised me. Restaurant is beautiful and very nice. The parking was difficult due to the huge party(!) so I had to park in garage @ Mariott which was actually fine. Overall, experience was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing mealSusieVIPDined on 12/10/2013Was very excited to try their house made ravioli, and it was terrible! Flavorless, the ravioli was flat and had almost no filling. I would NOT recommend. The sauce was sad, sort of tomato, but there was some cream in it and giant hunks of sun-dried tomatoes. Not good. My dining mate said her chicken sandwich was fine but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- not like Faz in DanvilleGeminiDined on 12/3/2013I have been to the Danville location and rate it very high, so when I had to meet a friend in Oakland, I saw Faz Oakland was very close to Bart. The place was empty, but very nice looking, the service was a bit overbearing, but we were the only people in the place!! The menu is much smaller than the Danville location, but was adequate My friends food arrived absolutely cold to the touch and mine was just warm. I ordered the pomegranate chicken, and maybe it had been stored in the refrigerator next to a pomegranate but absolutely none of the wonderful sauce they put on the same dish in Danville. I most likely will not ever go back to the Oakland location.
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2013Call and left message to add one more person to reservation but never received a return call. Service was very slow. It took a while for someone to greet us upon arrival and took over an hour to get our food once we've place our order.
- Not RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013We were very disappointed in the menu selections and there were minimal choices. There were no red meat choices. The food we had was spotty and nothing was outstanding.
- Faz-tasticMikaelVIPDined on 10/22/2013I have never had a bad experience at this beautiful downtown Oakland restaurant. Looking forward to his new site in Santa Clara.Special Features:
- Lunch meetingLucyDined on 8/5/2013We had our lunch meeting at Faz because my experience at their place in SF several years ago was positive. However, I found the food pretty average, the Greek salad without much flavor and not super fresh. The chicken was hard and overcooked and tasted like processed meat. The bread and mesas were good. I would not go there again, despite the nice atmosphere because Oakland now has better places to eat.
- Good food but not exceptionalGlcorbettDined on 8/2/2013Perfectly decent option for a nice lunch with good ambience. Good salad options as well as fish, meat, and daily pasta options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is empty at night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2013Guess this is a lunch place! On a Friday night, I think they close at 8PM!!!
- Our ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2013I think that for me the food is always number one when I judge a restaurant. However, This time I was blown away by our server. He was so attentive, checked with the manager on a question that we had and just seemed to go above and beyond for us without hesitation. I wish that I remembered his name because he was awesome. It may show on my receipt but I don't have it with me right now. And yes, the food was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time to Faz. I likeLeftcoasterVIPDined on 6/5/2013Second time to Faz. I like this restaurant for lunch as it is a convenient place to have a business lunch. The food is quite good and you can carry on a conversation. We will try dinner soon.Special Features:
- First time for me - I haveLeftcoasterVIPDined on 5/23/2013First time for me - I have always liked this location and Faz has done a nice job of using the space. Since this was only lunch and my first time I will wait to give a better review after we do dinner there. This is a good place to do a business lunch since you can carry on a conversation and the food is varied enough and quite good. Friends have tried it for dinner and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Service, service, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/2/2013Food is good but service is subpar, especially the front desk.Special Features:
- Faz OaklandTylerHofingaVIPDined on 3/29/2013The menu was not accurate. I went twice in a month and both times had fava beans on the menu and both times when I ordered they said they were out of fava beans. The second trip, I ordered the avocado salad and they told me they were out of avocados. Thirdly, I ordered the pasta ravioli on the menu and they said they did not have that ravioli, but offered another kind of ravioli. Very disappointing experience. Not up to the Faz I know and like. Also, I thought the bread of was dry and tasteless.
- The service was awfully slow.RahaDined on 3/22/2013The service was awfully slow. It took a long time for the waitress to come and get our orders...
- Faz OaklandTylerHofingaVIPDined on 3/21/2013Excellent food. Fresh, clean, beautiful. Did not like their bread, dry and flavorless.Special Features:
- Our server was marvelous--justvelocjoDined on 3/20/2013Our server was marvelous--just the right amount of attentiveness without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch--sandwiches--andTastingTomDined on 2/28/2013Excellent lunch--sandwiches--and I appreciated a free platter of delicious appetizers. Exceptionally pleasant service. Excellent location.Special Features:
- With all the competition inOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/30/2013With all the competition in town, this restaurant will have to get a lot better for me to recommend and return. The setting in the old Verbana spot should work better.
- Not very crowded when we wentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2013Not very crowded when we went for dinner on a Friday night. Food was fabulous, salmon kabobs cooked perfectly and generous portions. They handled my gluten-free meal no problem.Special Features:
- Excellent place for a quietOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2013Excellent place for a quiet business lunch. Staff was attentive and the food was excellent. Accomodated a special dietary need very well. I'll be back.Special Features:
- I was really disappointed,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/16/2013I was really disappointed, I made a special request because it was our 20th Wedding Anniversary that day but instead they gave us a table next to the door....food was ok though!!!
- Food was disappointing, barCaymanmama43VIPDined on 1/8/2013Food was disappointing, bar noise was loud, service was sketchy. Not the kind of experience that we have ever had in the Danville restaurant.
- the hostess was not friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/18/2012the hostess was not friendly and unprofessional. Our waiter was late to the table, forgot drinks, mixed up orders, and then hovered when it was time to pay the bill/sign the check. I was with a client and was embarassed that I chose this restaurant for the quality of service that we received. I will not go back to this restaurant.
- Generous portions, decentYiaYiaDined on 12/17/2012Generous portions, decent quality, good place to go in downtown Oakland for a business lunch. Not exciting, but I'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot drink was cold and sentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2012Hot drink was cold and sent back. Sandwich was cold and thought it would be hot. Should have been told ahead of time.Special Features:
- I often come to Faz for businessOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/6/2012I often come to Faz for business lunches since my office is in the same building. Food overall is very good, especially the kabobs. Service can get inconsistent, especially during the lunch rush hour. If I were to recommend a change, it would be the hostess.Special Features:
- nice spot for MediteraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/28/2012nice spot for Mediteranean food, very good kabob choices, large portions at lunchtime.Special Features:
- Did not have my reservationJaredDined on 11/19/2012Did not have my reservation time correct. Somehow pushed it back but made it work anyhow.