Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
545 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.favalorosbignightbistro.com/
- Phone: (831) 373-8523
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Nino and Marie Favaloro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for planning your menu.
A word from Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
This inviting and exciting bistro serves the best Italian and seafood fare in the area. Participants of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program serving all sustainable foods. All is prepared when ordered and desserts and bread are made daily. A real mom and pop restaurant! Family run and operated where a husband and wife team do all the cooking and baking daily. Nino was also a commercial fisherman and has knowledge on fresh fish and shellfish. You have to try the Monterey Bay Spot Prawns and the Cioppino. Menu items include an array of appetizers, salads along with a fresh soup of the day and many pasta selections. Our Meats selections include milk fed veal and steaks. We also serve a large selection of fresh fish and shellfish and raw oysters. Nice evening specials nightly. Whether out for a romantic dinner for two or family and friends...we will make it a special night here at the Big Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (28)romantic (25)special occasion (20)notable wine list (15)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A really nice evening of dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014We have been coming to Favolaro's since it opened (and re-opened.) We are never disappointed with the food, the service, and the ambiance. Last Saturday evening was no exception. We were greeted by their wonderful waitstaff who gave us just the romantic table we wanted. Our wine was a hard-to-find Italian white (at least of any quality) Orvieto from Antinori; perfect for our food. My wife had the fried avocados with crab salad as an appetizer (I don't much care for avocados) and one of the specials, Santa Barbara prawns done in scampi style, served over butternut squash raviolis. My dish was a regular of mine, gnocchi Gorgonzola. Both were done very well; I lapped up the last of the sauce with a slice of bread. For dessert, my wife went for her favorite, the marscapone custard with berries (hint: if this is your first time at Favolaro's, this is the dessert to go with.) Mine was chocolate covered mini-cannolis stuffed with chocolate chip and pistachio cream. Excellent! Reservations always are recommended here as it is a small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & a good time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014This was my first dining experience with Favaloro's & I was not disappointed! I initially made the reservation for 7, but two days before our dinner I had to add 2 more guests. I called the restaurant & changed the reservation without any problems. The night of the dinner we all enjoyed our food & had a great time. We ordered the garlic cheese bread, fried avocado, & oysters to start. All were good. The bread is very garlicky, the avocado was quite creamy & the oysters very fresh. Our entrees were the Linguine con frutto de mare (loved it!), chioppino, veal scalopini, halibut, steak frittes, & flat iron steak. Everyone was quite pleased. we also enjoyed a very large bottle of red wine. We rounded out our meal with desserts. The marscapone with berries was my favorite & we also tried the chocolate chip cake, pumpkin cheese cake, & the chocolate dipped cannelloni. Overall a great meal! Our waiter didn't make a fuss about splitting our bill amongst 2 credit cards & cash, which was nice. & the tip was calculated for us which I appreciated. I also liked that the waiter had adding the word "included" on the tip line of the credit slip so that we wouldn't accidentally tip twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieRunnerDined on 11/15/2014I went to Favaloro's with two friends, we each ordered something completely different, but everything tasted the same! Hardly any flavor on anything. I asked for my chicken piccata over pasta noodles rather than the pilaf it came with (it didn't seem like a too far fetched request), and after getting attitude from the server, my meal came with a side of fettuccini with marinara sauce. Surprisingly, both the marinara and picatta had pretty much the same flavor. Overall, very disappointed in the quality of food, wine selection and service, especially for the fine dining price! I will not be returning.
- The Wine List and AppetizersJohnVDined on 11/11/2014The service was attentive and efficient. Food was average but reasonable. The best idea is to go early for a bottle of wine and some starters which they seem to excel at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChadDined on 11/11/2014The spaghetti and meat balls is the best. Service was attentive. We visited two nights in a row. We especially liked the deep fried avocado with crab meat stuffing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious & attentiveMcFoodieDined on 11/9/2014Invited a friend to join me. This was my third time and I was pleased with thd attentive service, delish food & wine. I want the recipe for the white bean soup! Glad to have found this neighborhood gem!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian PlaceStefVIPDined on 11/8/2014There are a lot of good Italian restaurants, but this one is a good choice. There are a lot of good choices on the menu. I tried the pasta special which was good, but not as good as the cannelloni I had at Bistro Moulin the night before. My wife was happier with her fish. We loved the family owned atmosphere and service was good. Pumpkin soup was disappointing. I know this review sounds a little negative, but overall, we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot but goodLocalVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had s wonderful dinner. However. The temperature inside the restaurant bust have been near 80. That made it tough to sit there but the wood was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We have been enjoying Favaloro's for several years and it has always been an enjoyable night out for dinner. The menu is varied, the service very good and the atmosphere warm and inviting. Pasta is great but so are other selections. On the most recent visit my wife enjoyed ravioli stuffed with ricotta and I had the sand dabs (a very plentiful dish). We shared an appetizer of melanzane (eggplant in a tomato based sauce with cheese). We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointing Italian foodMarviDined on 10/22/2014Hoped for a wonderful, traditional Italian dinner, and instead got dry, "store bought" bread, watery Caesar salads with mushy bits of anchovy scattered throughout, and one poor eggplant pasta. Only one entree, prawns with a creamy tomato sauce, was worth the visit.
- ExcellentAMKMDined on 10/21/2014We have lived in the Monterey area all of our lives and just now discovered this great place. We were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful food, the great service and the lovely ambiance. From the appetizers all the way through to dessert was wonderful. Their spumoni is worth the trip just for itself. We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Frgy22Dined on 10/18/2014We just visited for our first time and had a great dinner. The baked oysters were incredible, and caprese salad was unique (with lettuce & capers). The Steak frites and the pasta with spicy vodka cream sauce and shrimp were all very good. Everything was flavorful and cooked perfectly. The atmosphere of the place is very nice but casual. Service was very friendly and always on top of things. One down side was the bread. In a nice Italian restaurant we'd expect good bread to come out, especially when served with a great olive dip, olive oil, etc. We ordered zabaglione with berries and the canolli for dessert. Both were good. It was nice that they had half bottles of wine, but even better - we now know we can bring our own next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent favorite.RustyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Favaloro's is wonderfully consistent. As a long time regular, I have never noticed a drop in either the food or the service. I only note this location appears to have gained the notice of others, so reservations are recommended. While I am confident that other starter courses may be worthy, I can never bring myself to order anything other than the crab-stuffed deep fried avocado. One bite and once again congratulate myself on making the right choice! We split two orders of gnocchi to serve the 6 of us as a primo plate. I had a perfect halibut from the menu. (Oh, and the wine's continue to be value priced.)Special Features:
- Pacific Grove's Best ItalianwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 10/15/2014Just a short walk from our fav PG B&B, we found this delightful Italian Bistro. Casual with a quaint elegance, the staff welcoming and more than efficient. Our salads were crisp, dressing flavorful, not heavily dressed-perfect! Pasta is homemade, very very good - the cream sauces are exceptional. The cannelloni was a hearty serving, yet tasted light and flavorful. Only wish they offered "freshly grated" cheese. The tiramisu was served in a glass, flavor was a bit disappointing. The pistachio cannoli lacked pistachio flavor, yet wasn't sugary and the shell had crunch. Wines are reasonably priced, served w/crystal glasses. We would return, perhaps a salad, gorgonzola gnocchi and the Saltimbocca - skip dessert.Special Features:
- PGfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Excellent authentic Italian food. Great service. We've been there often for a romantic dinner for 2, and we took 20 for our pre-wedding dinner. They made it a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/10/2014Charming restaurant with great restaurant and food.Special Features:
- Seafood dishesMobyDined on 10/9/2014The shrimp and crab cannelloni was excellent and we enjoyed it (she shared a little with me). My steamed clams were good but overly salty for my taste (I'm on a salt restricted diet). I could not eat all of them and would not order them again. The waiter was very helpful in finding us a table that was out of the cool draft from the door and we were comfortable. We were not in the mood for wine that evening but the waiter had a hard time taking no for an answer. The same with dessert.Special Features:
- Pacific Grove GemBabalouDined on 9/20/2014Favaloro's is one of my favorite places to dine on the Monterey Peninsula. The food is never disappointing; the staff is extremely accommodating (substitutions are never discouraged, but enthusiastically embraced), the ambiance of the restaurant is uplifting and happy, although the noise level can be a bit much at times. If it's not on the menu, ask--they may be able to fulfill your request and will do so without making you feel like you are asking for something that is out of line. The ingredients are fresh and meals are attractively served. We have gone to this restaurant for special occasions, as well as just a quiet night out. I highly recommend this family owned and operated restaurant, and plan to return often.Special Features:
- Pacific GrovezorroVIPDined on 9/19/2014excellent restaurant in pacific grove, we visited before the Monterey Jazz Festival.
- Friendly serviceMcFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Nick our waiter was friendly & efficient. Food was good authentic Italian. A bit pricey since it's a la carte. Could use more choices for wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place to Eat in PGDmoellerDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful dinner on our weekend in Pacific Grove. Nice than Monterey touristy stuff. Great food, great service. No surprises.Special Features:
- Great ItalianAnnazevDined on 9/12/2014Must go to restaurant in PG. Food is delicious. Well presented, plentiful, hot and tasty. Would definitely recommend this downtown PG restaurant!Special Features:
- Great find in MontereyWilsonAUSVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were in Monterey for the first time, looking for a good Italian. We were delighted to discover Favaloro's. Our waiter was welcoming, the restaurant decor pleasant, wine was good, and the food, particularly the rib-eye steak was excellent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Great service and great food! A true family run restaurant. Highly recommend this restaurant for a anniversary or a special date!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalvinhayCalvinhayDined on 8/23/2014I loved Favaloro's! The food and service were excellent! My wife and I were dressed casually, felt "at home and welcomed. I might consider a sports coat when I return. Located in Pacific Grove, Favaloro's as a comfortable neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- FredDined on 8/22/2014Tried Favaloro's for the first time, and found a new favorite Pacific Grove/Monterey Restaurant. It was great. My wife and I brought three guests and we all agreed that we would return.Special Features:
- Charming and Delicioso!justforthehalibutDined on 8/16/2014What a charming, charming restaurant! I am soooo glad we booked this wonderful restaurant when we were in Monterey for Concours week. The food was absolutely delicious--beautifully prepared. And the service was the best service we had anywhere in the area (which is saying a lot). Do NOT overlook this lovely restaurant--its reviews and its photos do NOT do it justice: It is romantic and charming and everyone on site takes incredible pride in their work and in their chef's work. The restaurant is small, so RESERVE; people were lining up at the door outside while we were eating (but NO one rushed us one little bit). We shall return!Special Features:
- Glad to Have Discovered Favaloro's!WaiterVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were in search of a good restaurant somewhat away from the tourist spots. What a discovery in Favaloro's! We had a wonderful dinner, with excellent and friendly service by Jesse. Menu prices are very reasonable. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJGaltDined on 8/15/2014Family run Italian restaurant, service very good, food very disappointing. Could have been my dish, pasta and meatballs, flavor ok, red sauce watery and bland.
- Nice local gem in Pacific GroveagrimmittDined on 8/15/2014This time I took six of my friends to dinner during the Monterey Historics. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServicePhilVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. We had two of the specials for dinner - sea bass cooked in paper and seafood over pene pasta in a fennel tomato cream sauce. Both were outstanding. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Molto Bene!musickmakerDined on 8/2/2014Friends of ours had recommended this restaurant to us and we weren't disappointed. This is not your typical Italian restaurant. The ambiance inside is like being in a lovely dinning room in someone's home. I ordered the special (short ribs braised in a wine reduction served over polenta con funghi) and my husband had cioppiono. Both were wonderfully prepared and presented. The wait staff was knowledgeable and engaging making the experience that much more fun. This is a place that we will return to. I would recommend reservations as it seems the restaurant fills up fast. We also found out that the can accomodate gluten free diners also. This is a plus for us.Special Features:
- The following 141 reviews are from the Favaloro's Big Night Bistro reviews archive.
- Fantastic menuTraveldivaDined on 7/25/2014I needed a restaurant that could accommodate several peoples tastes and Favaloro's was the perfect choice with a wide range of seafood, Italian and meat dishes. I had the halibut and it was cooked perfectly. My husband had their seafood pasta medley special and it had a nice spicy sauce that didn't overwhelm the seafood flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great with my parentsanonymousDined on 6/28/2014This was our 3rd visit. The special truffle gnocchi & seafood pasta were amazing. Salads are always great. Wait staff & hostess really know their stuff. Def'ly going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, nuff saidOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/26/2014We were vacationing on the Monterey Peninsula and we wanted something good but not major expensive or difficult to dealmwith (like manynof the restaurants on cannery row). I found this restaurant online and it sounded perfect. It was. Wines were priced right by the bottle, their menu had a good selection of Itslian Foods and fish. They had several daily specials that added to the menu. It was a nice, quiet small restaurant. The service was great, the ambience was not stuffy but was very comfortable. We will be back the next time we are in Monterey/Pacific Grove. A plus....parking was easy too.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceScottDined on 6/20/2014Our server Nick was great - friendly and knowledgable. The food was outstanding Gnocci melted in your mouth veal was tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Pacific Grove TripNickioVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food was delicious and the service was excellent! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood gem2travelersVIPDined on 6/7/2014This latest incarnation of Favoloro's, after a move across Lighthouse Avenue and a major kitchen fire, is cozy and classic Italian. Service is prompt and polite, with recommendations gently offered and water refilled without asking. The food is unpretentiously delicious and served in large portions; Caprese salad could easily feed two as an appetizer. The pastas are made fresh and supported by excellent sauces. Even the stereotypical "red sauce" had a homemade richness, and nicely balanced meat tortellini with mushrooms. Desserts run the gamut from cheesecake and chocolate cake to spumoni ice cream, the latter served in a large sundae glass and studded with juicy candied fruit. A lovely end to a relaxed, delightful meal. Buon gusto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary TreasureDaisyDined on 5/20/2014We hosted our wedding rehearsal dinner with the Favaloro's at their initial Pacific Grove location. This is a restaurant that we like to bring out of town friends and always a treasured place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff and owners are always welcoming. The restaurant is family owned and operated and couldn't be more inviting. The menu is extensive and perfectly prepared; wine selection is very good and the service is excellent. Five Star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Delicious Food!Dani2ItalianDined on 5/11/2014We are italians and local too. This was one of the very best italian restaurant. We ordered appetizers, main meals and desserts and everything here was very good. Yes, it's pricey! We were 6 and paid a little over $300.00, but was for a special occasion so it was worth it. You could order just the main meal if your on a budget, but it's definitely great food here. The service was good too. We had a toddler boy here with us, and one of the customer screamed at me saying " can you stop him", that was the worse experience, but I had to calm myself and tried to ignore him, because my son is only 2 and is autistic. Nothing to defend my son here but he just screamed once when my daughter tried to sit in my lap. So who was not a kid once ?Special Features: