Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
545 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.favalorosbignightbistro.com/
- Phone: 831-373-8523
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Nino and Marie Favaloro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for planning your menu.
A word from Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
This inviting and exciting bistro serves the best Italian and seafood fare in the area. Participants of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program serving all sustainable foods. All is prepared when ordered and desserts and bread are made daily. A real mom and pop restaurant! Family run and operated where a husband and wife team do all the cooking and baking daily. Nino was also a commercial fisherman and has knowledge on fresh fish and shellfish. You have to try the Monterey Bay Spot Prawns and the Cioppino. Menu items include an array of appetizers, salads along with a fresh soup of the day and many pasta selections. Our Meats selections include milk fed veal and steaks. We also serve a large selection of fresh fish and shellfish and raw oysters. Nice evening specials nightly. Whether out for a romantic dinner for two or family and friends...we will make it a special night here at the Big Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)romantic (23)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (18)notable wine list (12)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- very disappointing Italian foodMarviDined on 10/22/2014Hoped for a wonderful, traditional Italian dinner, and instead got dry, "store bought" bread, watery Caesar salads with mushy bits of anchovy scattered throughout, and one poor eggplant pasta. Only one entree, prawns with a creamy tomato sauce, was worth the visit.
- ExcellentAMKMDined on 10/21/2014We have lived in the Monterey area all of our lives and just now discovered this great place. We were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful food, the great service and the lovely ambiance. From the appetizers all the way through to dessert was wonderful. Their spumoni is worth the trip just for itself. We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Frgy22Dined on 10/18/2014We just visited for our first time and had a great dinner. The baked oysters were incredible, and caprese salad was unique (with lettuce & capers). The Steak frites and the pasta with spicy vodka cream sauce and shrimp were all very good. Everything was flavorful and cooked perfectly. The atmosphere of the place is very nice but casual. Service was very friendly and always on top of things. One down side was the bread. In a nice Italian restaurant we'd expect good bread to come out, especially when served with a great olive dip, olive oil, etc. We ordered zabaglione with berries and the canolli for dessert. Both were good. It was nice that they had half bottles of wine, but even better - we now know we can bring our own next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent favorite.RustyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Favaloro's is wonderfully consistent. As a long time regular, I have never noticed a drop in either the food or the service. I only note this location appears to have gained the notice of others, so reservations are recommended. While I am confident that other starter courses may be worthy, I can never bring myself to order anything other than the crab-stuffed deep fried avocado. One bite and once again congratulate myself on making the right choice! We split two orders of gnocchi to serve the 6 of us as a primo plate. I had a perfect halibut from the menu. (Oh, and the wine's continue to be value priced.)Special Features:
- Pacific Grove's Best ItalianwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 10/15/2014Just a short walk from our fav PG B&B, we found this delightful Italian Bistro. Casual with a quaint elegance, the staff welcoming and more than efficient. Our salads were crisp, dressing flavorful, not heavily dressed-perfect! Pasta is homemade, very very good - the cream sauces are exceptional. The cannelloni was a hearty serving, yet tasted light and flavorful. Only wish they offered "freshly grated" cheese. The tiramisu was served in a glass, flavor was a bit disappointing. The pistachio cannoli lacked pistachio flavor, yet wasn't sugary and the shell had crunch. Wines are reasonably priced, served w/crystal glasses. We would return, perhaps a salad, gorgonzola gnocchi and the Saltimbocca - skip dessert.Special Features:
- PGfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Excellent authentic Italian food. Great service. We've been there often for a romantic dinner for 2, and we took 20 for our pre-wedding dinner. They made it a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/10/2014Charming restaurant with great restaurant and food.Special Features:
- Seafood dishesMobyDined on 10/9/2014The shrimp and crab cannelloni was excellent and we enjoyed it (she shared a little with me). My steamed clams were good but overly salty for my taste (I'm on a salt restricted diet). I could not eat all of them and would not order them again. The waiter was very helpful in finding us a table that was out of the cool draft from the door and we were comfortable. We were not in the mood for wine that evening but the waiter had a hard time taking no for an answer. The same with dessert.Special Features:
- Pacific Grove GemBabalouDined on 9/20/2014Favaloro's is one of my favorite places to dine on the Monterey Peninsula. The food is never disappointing; the staff is extremely accommodating (substitutions are never discouraged, but enthusiastically embraced), the ambiance of the restaurant is uplifting and happy, although the noise level can be a bit much at times. If it's not on the menu, ask--they may be able to fulfill your request and will do so without making you feel like you are asking for something that is out of line. The ingredients are fresh and meals are attractively served. We have gone to this restaurant for special occasions, as well as just a quiet night out. I highly recommend this family owned and operated restaurant, and plan to return often.Special Features:
- Pacific GrovezorroVIPDined on 9/19/2014excellent restaurant in pacific grove, we visited before the Monterey Jazz Festival.
- Friendly serviceMcFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Nick our waiter was friendly & efficient. Food was good authentic Italian. A bit pricey since it's a la carte. Could use more choices for wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place to Eat in PGDmoellerDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful dinner on our weekend in Pacific Grove. Nice than Monterey touristy stuff. Great food, great service. No surprises.Special Features:
- Great ItalianAnnazevDined on 9/12/2014Must go to restaurant in PG. Food is delicious. Well presented, plentiful, hot and tasty. Would definitely recommend this downtown PG restaurant!Special Features:
- Great find in MontereyWilsonAUSVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were in Monterey for the first time, looking for a good Italian. We were delighted to discover Favaloro's. Our waiter was welcoming, the restaurant decor pleasant, wine was good, and the food, particularly the rib-eye steak was excellent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Great service and great food! A true family run restaurant. Highly recommend this restaurant for a anniversary or a special date!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalvinhayCalvinhayDined on 8/23/2014I loved Favaloro's! The food and service were excellent! My wife and I were dressed casually, felt "at home and welcomed. I might consider a sports coat when I return. Located in Pacific Grove, Favaloro's as a comfortable neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- FredDined on 8/22/2014Tried Favaloro's for the first time, and found a new favorite Pacific Grove/Monterey Restaurant. It was great. My wife and I brought three guests and we all agreed that we would return.Special Features:
- Charming and Delicioso!justforthehalibutDined on 8/16/2014What a charming, charming restaurant! I am soooo glad we booked this wonderful restaurant when we were in Monterey for Concours week. The food was absolutely delicious--beautifully prepared. And the service was the best service we had anywhere in the area (which is saying a lot). Do NOT overlook this lovely restaurant--its reviews and its photos do NOT do it justice: It is romantic and charming and everyone on site takes incredible pride in their work and in their chef's work. The restaurant is small, so RESERVE; people were lining up at the door outside while we were eating (but NO one rushed us one little bit). We shall return!Special Features:
- Glad to Have Discovered Favaloro's!WaiterVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were in search of a good restaurant somewhat away from the tourist spots. What a discovery in Favaloro's! We had a wonderful dinner, with excellent and friendly service by Jesse. Menu prices are very reasonable. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJGaltDined on 8/15/2014Family run Italian restaurant, service very good, food very disappointing. Could have been my dish, pasta and meatballs, flavor ok, red sauce watery and bland.
- Nice local gem in Pacific GroveagrimmittDined on 8/15/2014This time I took six of my friends to dinner during the Monterey Historics. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServicePhilVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. We had two of the specials for dinner - sea bass cooked in paper and seafood over pene pasta in a fennel tomato cream sauce. Both were outstanding. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Molto Bene!musickmakerDined on 8/2/2014Friends of ours had recommended this restaurant to us and we weren't disappointed. This is not your typical Italian restaurant. The ambiance inside is like being in a lovely dinning room in someone's home. I ordered the special (short ribs braised in a wine reduction served over polenta con funghi) and my husband had cioppiono. Both were wonderfully prepared and presented. The wait staff was knowledgeable and engaging making the experience that much more fun. This is a place that we will return to. I would recommend reservations as it seems the restaurant fills up fast. We also found out that the can accomodate gluten free diners also. This is a plus for us.Special Features:
- Fantastic menuTraveldivaDined on 7/25/2014I needed a restaurant that could accommodate several peoples tastes and Favaloro's was the perfect choice with a wide range of seafood, Italian and meat dishes. I had the halibut and it was cooked perfectly. My husband had their seafood pasta medley special and it had a nice spicy sauce that didn't overwhelm the seafood flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Favaloro's Big Night Bistro reviews archive.
- Great with my parentsanonymousDined on 6/28/2014This was our 3rd visit. The special truffle gnocchi & seafood pasta were amazing. Salads are always great. Wait staff & hostess really know their stuff. Def'ly going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, nuff saidOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/26/2014We were vacationing on the Monterey Peninsula and we wanted something good but not major expensive or difficult to dealmwith (like manynof the restaurants on cannery row). I found this restaurant online and it sounded perfect. It was. Wines were priced right by the bottle, their menu had a good selection of Itslian Foods and fish. They had several daily specials that added to the menu. It was a nice, quiet small restaurant. The service was great, the ambience was not stuffy but was very comfortable. We will be back the next time we are in Monterey/Pacific Grove. A plus....parking was easy too.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceScottDined on 6/20/2014Our server Nick was great - friendly and knowledgable. The food was outstanding Gnocci melted in your mouth veal was tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Pacific Grove TripNickioVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food was delicious and the service was excellent! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood gem2travelersDined on 6/7/2014This latest incarnation of Favoloro's, after a move across Lighthouse Avenue and a major kitchen fire, is cozy and classic Italian. Service is prompt and polite, with recommendations gently offered and water refilled without asking. The food is unpretentiously delicious and served in large portions; Caprese salad could easily feed two as an appetizer. The pastas are made fresh and supported by excellent sauces. Even the stereotypical "red sauce" had a homemade richness, and nicely balanced meat tortellini with mushrooms. Desserts run the gamut from cheesecake and chocolate cake to spumoni ice cream, the latter served in a large sundae glass and studded with juicy candied fruit. A lovely end to a relaxed, delightful meal. Buon gusto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary TreasureDaisyDined on 5/20/2014We hosted our wedding rehearsal dinner with the Favaloro's at their initial Pacific Grove location. This is a restaurant that we like to bring out of town friends and always a treasured place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff and owners are always welcoming. The restaurant is family owned and operated and couldn't be more inviting. The menu is extensive and perfectly prepared; wine selection is very good and the service is excellent. Five Star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Delicious Food!Dani2ItalianDined on 5/11/2014We are italians and local too. This was one of the very best italian restaurant. We ordered appetizers, main meals and desserts and everything here was very good. Yes, it's pricey! We were 6 and paid a little over $300.00, but was for a special occasion so it was worth it. You could order just the main meal if your on a budget, but it's definitely great food here. The service was good too. We had a toddler boy here with us, and one of the customer screamed at me saying " can you stop him", that was the worse experience, but I had to calm myself and tried to ignore him, because my son is only 2 and is autistic. Nothing to defend my son here but he just screamed once when my daughter tried to sit in my lap. So who was not a kid once ?Special Features:
- The best.YummytummyDined on 5/10/2014Favaloros never disappoints. Huge menu, great family owned restaurant, and you always leave satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Gem Consistently PerformsRustyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Not only does Big Night offer friendly local ambiance with great service, the food easily competes with the much more highly priced "premiere" venues in Pebble Beach. Wines are excellent and modestly priced. A glass of Riesling at $6, and a bottle of Super Tuscan Chianti for $30. Along with other reviewers, we are smitten with the avocado stuffed with crab salad. Also, the gnocchi in Gorgonzola cream sauce heavenly. We have dined here many times over the years, and the food is consistently good, and the wait staff never changes... which is itself remarkable.Special Features:
- Not sure it's worthy of the hypeLuvGreatFoodVIPDined on 4/25/2014We were a bit underwhelmed with our meal, after reading the numerous, glowing reviews. We found our meals to be good, but not exceptional. And after a weekend of dining at excellent restaurants in Pacific Grove, we found that our highest tab was at Favaloro's (by about 30%)...which we wouldn't have minded, if it had been a "wow" meal, but it wasn't. The server was very knowledgable and they were able to accommodate our need for a gluten free meal. A good spot, but considering the multitude of outstanding restaurants in the area, not sure we'll return.
- 2retiredtravelersDined on 4/22/2014It was a lovely dinner. Very quiet as it was a Tuesday evening just following the Easter weekend. But our host/waiter was extremely cordial and delightful to chat with. His suggestions were the best and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. My husband thought the seafood past dish especially wonderful. Excellent sauce! We will return whenever we are again in Pacific Grove.
- a special dinnerArielDined on 4/19/2014my husband and I ate the last dinner of our honeymoon a Favaloro's. I indicated as much on the reservation and the manager (?) brought us a delicious lemon sorbet, on the house. yay! our food was exceptional and very unique. I was expecting a more standard menu and boisterous atmosphere (you know, a Big Night!!) but was delighted to by the cozy, warm, yet not at all cramped house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration Successtzep202Dined on 4/17/2014Enjoyed our dinner with our daughter on her birthday. Favaloro's is perfect for anyone looking for a nice dining experience. Being a weeknight, there were only a few tables full so the place was pretty quiet. The service was excellent. The best meal was one of the specials, a truffle gnocchi. It was delicious! The other meals were good but next time we'll opt to ordering the specials of the day. Our shared dessert, mascarpone with fresh berries was excellent. The prices were reasonable compared to other fine restaurants. We'll definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian foodRoDDDined on 4/12/2014Food was great, but waiter preoccupied with a large groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingcbozoDined on 4/12/2014The staff is friendly and accommodated our party of 12. They were patient with us and service was prompt and friendly. I had the flat iron steak was cooked to perfection. The starter of panko fried avocado with crab filling was delicious and serving size was plentiful. Thank you.Special Features:
- Fried avocados? Really? Yes indeed!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/12/2014It's a must-have: the panko-breaded fried avocado with crab salad as an appetizer to split. Or a couple of them for dinner. ;) Our green and caesar salads were good sized. The caesar dressing had just enough bite, and there were several anchovies draped over the salad -- yum! Seabass is one of my favorite fin-fish, moist & flavorful. They did a nice job pairing it with several prawns in a scampi. Cannelloni was rich and filling. Salmon main didn't turn out as expected, but was still good. I'd say FBNB is a reliable Italian resto with a few interesting twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.