New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fattycrab.com/home/
- Phone: 2123523592x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Zakary Pelaccio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Fatty Crab
Fatty Crab serves Malaysian inspired cuisine, pulling from the fares of other Southeast Asian countries while using western style techniques. The locally sourced menu items are rotated seasonally and all the condiments and pastes are made fresh, from scratch. Classic dishes such as the Beef Short Rib Rendang, Pork and Watermelon Salad, Fatty Duck and Chili Crab are year-round staples. The highly received wine list is designed to pair with the robust and spicy flavors of Malaysian cuisine, while the cocktail list includes selections suited for the most demanding cocktail aficionado. Fatty Crab has locations in New York’s West Village and St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. For more information and hours of operation, please call 212-352-3592 or visit www.FattyCrab.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Fatty Crab - Best Restaurants in Meatpacking District ›
Fatty Crab reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Had looked forward to eating here for sometime and was extremely dissapointed. Some of the dishes were good, none amazing, but the signature crab was terrible. The legs were so small that it wasn't worth trying to eat. For over $100 per person I expect better!
- Delicious MalaysianmsbnyVIPDined on 8/24/2014We went for brunch and had a great time. Sat outside at one of the sidewalk tables. We had pork belly tea sandwiches which were absolutely fantastic. Also had the rendang beef, vegetable buns and the fatty duck all of which were perfectly flavorful and had very satisfying flavor. Our servers were very nice, very friendly. Great for a laid back summer afternoon.Special Features:
- jnvaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Went with a gilt city coupon. Was able to try a lot of different items. Service was very friendly and accomodating. Chicken wings had good flavor. Sliders were ok, had an unique sauce which was good. Char Kwey Tweow as a tad bit too salty. Short ribs lacked flavor. Chili crab was ok, not much meat and was so messy that it was hard to enjoy. All in all medicore food, nothing to go back for.
- PennyVIPDined on 8/20/2014I liked the ambience, the music was cool and it was a cute spot. But for a place called fatty crab, I had high expectation for the crab. My expectations were not met, I was very disappointed with their specialty crab dish
- DeliciousFoodLoverDined on 8/6/2014Had a bunch of dishes on the menu. Everything was incredible. The Fatty Duck was off the chain.
- Food with Oomph!BleeckerbabeDined on 8/3/2014We went to Fatty Crab with foodie friends for brunch and all of us loved it. It's probably not for folks who don't go for unusual, exotic fare, but we all thought the menu was fabulous. We especially enjoyed the quail shooters and the crab. The service was friendly and helpful, the atmosphere casual and comfortable. We will definitely make a repeat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent favoritekeikeiGDined on 7/25/2014Fatty Crab is one of my favorite restaurants ever. I recently moved across country but go back frequently to NYC for work and I try to go there each trip, if possible. Do yourself a favor and always get the Chili Crab. It is very messy but trance inducing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeGramercygirlVIPDined on 7/19/2014I went with a friends and every single dish was outstanding. Our "worst" dish, the chicken wings, was still better then almost any wings we've had elsewhere. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- TastyGennyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Small portions of spicy and really flavorful food served family style. Try the pork buns, fatty sliders and the Char Kwey Teow.Special Features:
- What's up with this place?WorldDinerVIPDined on 7/4/2014I'm not sure if this was just an "off night" for them or what? We dined on July 4th and wanted something different in the Meat Packing District and we got it. I booked through Open Table and received a notice from O.T. that we were a No-Show the next day. Our server rang our bill through twice, for two different amounts so now I need to dispute with Visa. It wasn't a busy night, but the entire staff seemed to be having a great time singing and playing very loud old-school rap music Tupac Shakur, etc. I don't mind the music, but we couldn't have a conversation it was that loud. The food was good, our server was good, but I'm not sure what was going on there that night. I might not hip enough to know. It was bad.Special Features:
- WowzersbigbellyDined on 6/25/2014Fatty Crab is amazing. The interior was dark and rich, but modest. I liked the rough wood tables. I went with 9 co-workers and everyone enjoyed the experience. One after another, the dishes came out and we were oohing and aahing the flavors, colors, spices, displays, and meats. Do not leave without getting a pork bun or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RocketDined on 6/23/2014Great dinner outdoors on a beautiful summer evening. It doesn't get any better than this; great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouscpddddDined on 6/14/2014Found Fatty Crab last minute in Meatpacking District. Excellent service, picked us a great wine and made recommendations that we enjoyed. Food very fresh and flavorful. Would eat there again.Special Features:
- Excellent!tgaonkVIPDined on 6/7/2014Really great food with a fun vibe and great service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is this a Malaysian restaurant?BrianVIPDined on 6/7/2014The nasi lemak is awful. The crab is ok while the gravy it came with is actually not bad at all.
- Favorite near the High Linefoodie4lifeDined on 5/29/2014The Fatty Crab experience is one not to be missed if you like a lively dining experience full of energy and flavorful food. The craft cocktails from the bar are excellent and don't miss the chili crab. Mix and Match small plates or build a meal of courses. You WON'T be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpusThreeVIPDined on 5/27/2014I thought the food was inventive and delicious, but I was disappointed with my overall experience. My party of 3 was crammed into a table that was meant for 2 (and would have been tight even for 2), despite the fact that the restaurant was empty when we arrived and still had a table or two empty when we left. The service was very rushed, and we felt pressured to eat quickly and leave quickly. The moment we finished our main courses, the bill was presented; we were not offered coffee or dessert. Also, for a restaurant with such high quality food and high prices, I thought the decor seemed a bit dingy and cheap.Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Fatty Crab reviews archive.
- awesome staff & delicious crabselkieinkspellDined on 5/11/2014I had dinner here with some friends the other night to celebrate a birthday and it was amazing. The wine list is excellent and the chilli crab was really fun to share. The staff is friendly and attentive. The toasted rice cakes at the end of the meal were even more delicious than the cake we brought in from Paris Baguette.Special Features:
- Good food, hyperspeed servingHunterVDined on 4/26/2014Original asian cuisine in a down to earth setting. Fatty crab buns are delightful, large shrimps tasteful, including the fried heads that could be eaten as a whole (quite an experience). The negative on this place is the hyperspeed serving.. what is this? A speed eating contest? Next course was put on the table, before finishing the other. I mean, why does any restaurant want to do that? So in whole, I like the cuisine and style of cooking, it's not haute cuisine, but authentic and tasty. But please please please, slow down the speed!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseAustravesDined on 4/20/2014Fatty Crab was a great find. Our meal was tasty and plentiful. Our waiter couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Everything was delicious. Particularly the pork & watermelon. The signature dish 'chilly crab' was delicious but hard to eat. So many other great options on the menu. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crabless Fatty Crab?ChrisDined on 4/8/2014We went specifically to the Fatty Crab to try their chili crab, but they didn't have any that night. They offered lobster in the same sauce. instead. It was more meaty but it didn't taste as fresh as it could have been. The sauce was savory and delicious, but on the heavy side, like a curry. It went well with the toast, but I would recommend getting a bowl of rice, too. The watermelon pickle and crispy pork, nasi lemak (curry chicken), and short rib rendang were all scrumptious. We had four dishes for the three of us. I think I would have enjoyed the meal more with a larger group and more dishes - six dishes split between four people would vary the flavors more widely, and I think would have enjoying sampling more dishes.Special Features:
- Fatty Who?TommyChardonnayVIPDined on 4/4/2014Overall, tastey treats on the pricier side. Tables are quite close together to the point where it is uncomfortable. For the money, I prefer the sister restaurant Fatty Cue- different feel for sure- but I left raving about the Cue. I can't say the same for the Crab.Special Features:
- hot, hot, hot!dydraVIPDined on 3/29/2014This place was rockin' - even on a rainy night it was packed! The food was great but I was unprepared for how spicy it was. We had the Steamed pork buns, Malay fish fry and Char Kwey Teow and they were all delicious. Service was great and but we missed out on the crab, they didn't have it that night. We'll definitely come back but will have to ask for mild...their spice level is way too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy!Bine72Dined on 3/29/2014I was very pleased with the Service and that they were able to accommodate us an hour earlier then our reservation was for. The food is great if you like VERY spicy food! I however do not enjoy too spicy and without any notice anywhere on the menu, all 3 dishes we ordered left my lips burning! They need to ease up on the spicy or at least make it known in bold letters that all items are very spicy. As a side note, we also overheard a customer sitting next to us comment on how spicy everything was. Otherwise, if not for that (I actually left the restaurant a little hungry!) it was a really cool restaurant with very attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- asian fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014The fusion was not in the menu but in Kurt Cobain's voice ringing throughout the night as well as drinking rum out of a coconut.Special Features:
- Uniquely DeliciousBeantownAlumnasDined on 3/10/2014I love the Chili Crab from Singapore, so I wanted to find a place that satiated my cravings. Though the sauce was sweeter and thicker, kind of like the sweet chili sauce used in a condiment, it was still something tasty and not offered around the city. I would go back for the Pepper Lobster (usually served as Pepper Crab in Singapore). Pepper Lobster prices ($22-28) change from time to time, as does the Chili Crab prices (because it's based on market price, we paid $54). Chicken rice ($3) is always a taste of SE Asian delicacy, but I despised the high prices for Char Kway Teow ($18) and Nasi Lemak ($19) when it's usually a dish no more than $5. The veggie buns were not the best, but I would definitely go back just for the crab/lobster.Special Features:
- Good food, slow servicekstaDined on 3/9/2014The tea sandwich appetizer was underwhelming but the fatty duck and the chilly crab were great. At 54 for one chilly crab feels overpriced. The service was quite slow took 25 min for appetizer and an hour for mainI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for CrabOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/8/2014We weren't in the mood for the Crab and the other choices were just as good and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/6/2014The food was great. The service a little spotty but overall good. A great place to make friends and have a fun eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, uniqueDisappointingDined on 3/3/2014Fatty crab serves very unique food you aren't going to find in a lot of your typical Asian restaurants in the city. All of the pork dishes were excellent - don't miss them. The space is a little cozy, but we were still comfortable. Service was on point. Would definitely return and recommend for people looking for something delicious and a bit different.Special Features:
- Urban pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014With a rock'n roll attitude, great food is served in an ambiance that makes you belong. Would return anytime!Special Features:
- Nice spicy dishes. The porkBWishDined on 2/18/2014Nice spicy dishes. The pork dumplings are great. The short ribs are juicy as well but the meat was very fatty. I was underwhelmed by the Chili Crab - do not order if you're on a first date....very messy!Special Features:
- Love Everything FattyFooddawgDined on 2/14/2014Yes it's small and feels like you are dining at a communal table with barely an inch between tables but it's the food you came here for. Depending on the day of the week I will take fatty crab or fatty cue any night of the weekSpecial Features:
- Good food, very accommodatingDannyJDined on 2/11/2014Good food, very accommodating for our group - food is meant to share and the place has a nice energy to itSpecial Features:
- Fun timeLoveFoodDined on 2/9/2014Food was very good and staff was knowledgable and friendly. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- very priceypickerDined on 2/7/2014Food was ok, not great. I am sure that some will go and think WOW, but to me that is just because this is a known place, but truthfully I found the food medicore and way overpriced
- Exceptional Food and ServiceNoviDan121VIPDined on 2/6/2014This restaurant was worth the trip! The food was so flavorful and different. We enjoyed every dish and were happily surprised by the different tastes that each plate gave us. We talked about the eggplant for days. The service was friendly and helpful. This is one of those places you will return to again and again. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Crab Crab Crab!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/18/2014I had THE CHILI CRAB. Amazingly good even if a little pricey. The atmosphere was very friendly, and all my people enjoyed it a lot.. Deserves a try! I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positively surprisedLiz12345Dined on 1/18/2014Amazing food, amazing drinks, great ambiance. Went with my boyfriend and it was a great spot. Would be great for a first date as long as you both eat meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork belly and pickled water melonElaineDined on 1/18/2014Pork belly and pickled water melon was the best. Fatty duck was 50% fat so was still a bit hungry afterwards..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.