3140 Maybank Hwy
Johns Island, SC 29455Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefathen.com/
- Phone: (843) 559-9090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday - 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu - 4:00pm - till
Sunday Brunch - 10:00am - 3:00pm (starting September 7th)
Reservations accepted, Take Out Available, Closed: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Neuville
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Fat Hen has a beautiful glassed in patio facing the front of the restaurant and overlooking the grand oak trees and azaleas.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Creed and Sarah Stech 8435599090x
A word from Fat Hen
Chef Fred Neuville is excited to embark on his first solo venture. “With Fat Hen, I am striving to create a neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and signature French-inspired Southern cuisine,” he says. “Johns Island is a fast-growing area and I believe island residents – along with others from around Charleston – will appreciate what we have to offer.” Fat Hen’s main dishes center around innovative French classics with Low country cuisine. The Braised Chicken features locally raised free-range chicken braised in red wine with rich bacon lardons, pearl onions & mushrooms. Fat Hen’s Short Ribs, a favorite signature dish among family and friends, is braised for hours in a rich veal broth. We also deal with local farmers to provide a great source of fresh farm vegetables to enhance your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Fat Hen - Best Restaurants in Johns Island ›
Fat Hen reviews from OpenTable diners
338 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (240)neighborhood gem (201)good for groups (107)special occasion (102)great for brunch (99)hot spot (65)kid-friendly (65)great for outdoor dining (58)notable wine list (50)romantic (41)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Why did I wait so long?DoonesDined on 11/22/2014The Fat Hen has been on my list of restaurants to try forever. Within minutes of arriving, I couldn't believe I had not been there sooner. Charming is the first word that comes to mind to describe the setting and atmosphere. The menu selections were wonderful and very difficult to choose as one looked better than the next. Service was prompt, relaxed and friendly. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, one I will repeat far sooner than laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Ingredients = Heavenly FoodShannaeDined on 11/20/2014Amazing, there is literally no other word. From the French onion soup to the grilled pork chop that I just could not stop eating even when my stomach was about to burst, to the most delicious pumpkin creme brulie it was the most decedant meal I've had in a long time. The rustic decor gave a casual ambiance and our server was delightful. I can't wait to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackDined on 11/19/2014Great dining experience!!! I'm a local who lives close to the Fat Hen and highly recommend it to everyone, locals and Charleston visitors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- john's island stapledap1VIPDined on 11/19/2014We love the outstanding food and servkce. We miss this restaurant when we are away from the island and never miss an opportunity to return as soon as we're back. Consistently terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014Our group of six golfers thoroughly enjoyed the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in johns islandCharlestonNaativeVIPDined on 11/14/2014Service, atmosphere and food all excellent from appetizer thru dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can never go wrong at the Fat Hen.djr356Dined on 11/13/2014Great food..Great service. ..close to Seabrook. Moderate pricing. What more do you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely family brunchREricTDined on 11/9/2014Came for brunch with my family, including my brother's 1-year-old son. The staff was so friendly and accommodating! They held the table for us when we called to say we were running late, were so gracious to my nephew and were attentive to our whole party. The food was spectacular! I was visiting from Philadelphia, where we have a surfeit of fantastic brunch spots and the Fat Hen blew me away! I wish I could go back every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchlovefathenDined on 11/9/2014Our group, 4 people, had a wonderful time. Will go for dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!thestrawberryjamDined on 11/9/2014My family took me to Fat Hen for brunch on my birthday, and the experience was stellar, start to finish! From the carafes of mimosas to the thoughtfully prepared cheese plate (seriously, that Maytag blue is to.die.for.) to all of our entrees (which pretty much covered all of the highlights of the brunch menu), everybody left satisfied. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing the words "best bbq I've ever had" in reference to the open faced brisket sandwich+mac and cheese, and my boyfriend somehow miraculously found room for an entire breakfast burrito and what was left of my french toast and house-made sausage sandwich (a true feat of excellence). Fat Hen now tops our list of great dining experiences in Charleston - we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Enjoyed thoroughly!HighlandmikeVIPDined on 11/9/2014This was our second time for brunch at the Fat Hen and it was our second excellent experience there. Delicious food, energetic atmosphere and great cocktails. Go hungry and definitely make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal!BeazerDined on 11/8/2014Had a fantastic dinner here. After being a little disappointed by some highly rated restaurants in Charleston we were a little unsure of what we would find. Everything was delicious and beyond our expectations. If you are in the Kiawah area this is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we live close to restaurantluvtoeatDined on 11/7/2014Great food, atmosphere..casual and fun. Everything we had from appetizers to the desserts was wonderful. Brought family members who were real foodies and they loved it. Nice to go to such a great restaurant that doesn't require driving into downtown Charleston and looking for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceBeauDined on 11/7/2014First time visit for a group of eight. Although the restaurant was crowded, we were seated at once. the service was excellent. The pork chop was outstanding. Others had shrimp as well as crab cakes.. Our party of eight were happy with the choice of the Red Hen and they are a tough group to please. Hopefully, I can return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Food and service are always amazing - our favorite restaurant in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great mealreganomics18Dined on 11/6/2014We recently had dinner at Fat Hen and frequently have brunch there as well. The food is always delicious and the wait staff is friendly. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitLindaDined on 11/6/2014Another return visit, for the past several years, did not disappoint!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodjmclovesfoodDined on 11/6/2014We have been to the Fat Hen many times over the years. It is one of absolute favorites in the "Low Country". The seafood is awesome. One of us had mussels, which were excellent. The sauce/juice was fabulous - dippin' good!!! The other of us had scallops, which were succulent. The server was very professional and very friendly. We saw other staff members that we have had over the years and they were terrific. We strongly recommend The Fat Hen to family and friends when they come into Kiawah and Seabrook Islands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Everything was wonderful! Would go back again! The place is very cute and different to dine at!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealcddcharlestonDined on 11/2/2014I have had brunch at Fat Hen twice now, and both times were fun, delicious, and so enjoyable. The old farm house feel + great cocktails + perfect brunch food, it's one of a kind in the best way! Don't struggle too much with what dish to pick, they are all amazing! Although, the gravy is some of the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lowcountry charmFIneFoodFinaticDined on 11/2/2014Found this gem thru TripAdvisor....well off the beaten path outside of Charleston, obviously popular locally. Who would expect Creme' Brulee French Toast with marinated strawberries supporting a home fried egg and country sausage paired with mimosas on a slow country road? Food was excellent, ambience was perfect. Sunday brunch reservations honored within five minutes of arrival in a packed restaurant....outstanding!Special Features:
- BrunchloverDined on 11/2/2014We have been to fat hen several times and are never disappointed. The food is always perfect and the service is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply excellentCharlestonFoodieDined on 11/1/2014This casual bistro-style restaurant remains one of my favorites in Charleston. It's low-key and serves some of the best food around; farm to table and organic. Get reservations though!Special Features:
- Another good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014I try to make it to this great find everytime I am in the area. I love the location of this place because of it eclectic outside feel. The food and wine are always good. The first time I ate here was for brunch and that meal has kept me coming back again and again. This last visit I had the fish special which was perfectly prepared over a double order of veggies (also perfectly prepared)Special Features:
- Dining at Fat HenLightkeeperVIPDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I wanted to eat outside of Charleston without giving up any of the quality that has made the city famous for foodies. We selected Fat Hen and are glad we did. It was apparent that many of that evening's patrons were regulars. Reservations are strongly recommended as is the case for almost all restaurants in the Charleston area.Special Features:
- Mussels are fabulous!AlbertDined on 10/30/2014Just another wonderful experience the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Johns Island RestaurantDebbieNDined on 10/28/2014We had not been to the Fat Hen in a long time, but wanted to go back because we always enjoyed our meal. There were several in our group. Pasta and shrimp was good. Shrimp and scallops and the lamb were very good. Two people had the muscles and thought the we're some of the best they have ever had. Their bar does not carry all the regular liquors. They use Sea Island spiced rum and do not have Captain Morgan. Sea Island just doesn't match up. They have a round table which we love, but it is in a cubby-hole. Some may like it that way, but I think that particular size table needs more space. All in all, the meal and evening were enjoyable and our waiter was excellent. We would recommend it to other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Food good, but portions too big. Would be better is portions 1/3 less & prices 20% lessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable all AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014We have been here numerous times and have never been disappointed! Each meal has been great and the service is always attentive. The staff works together to ensure you are not ever needing anything. This particular time we were seated promptly, waiter came within a few moments after water was poured, food was delicious and prompt. Outside of the extremely loud guest at the other end of the porch we couldn't have asked for a nicer brunch experience!Special Features:
- French Comfort FoodDocTorVIPDined on 10/24/2014Really excellent service by Chris, food came out quick and pipping hot. Salmon special was quite good... classic Southern comfort food with a French twist. If that is what you are looking for, than drive no further. A bit of a sojourn from downtown Charleston but well worth the drive if for nothing but the ease of parking on a busy Fri or Sat night. You can make a meal with some of the small plate items if you wish to try a few things and keep it interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissyDined on 10/24/2014Been there for years....excellent food...good dining experienceSpecial Features:
- BoomboomDined on 10/23/2014We loved it and our waitress was an absolute sweetheart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Hen RestaurantMagnoliasDined on 10/23/2014The waiter was very friendly and helpful. The food tasted so fresh and was very visually appealing. Bread was delicious. Dessert was incredible. May specials to choose from. A must eat when visiting Kiawah. We will definitely return here to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 10/23/2014We go there often, food is great. Service great. We always enjoy the bar area and try to sit there even with a reservation. Wife ALWAYS HAS MUSSELS but had duck this time and loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, great dinnerClairedeluneDined on 10/23/2014We were arriving Charleston on a Sunday and looked for a nice place for brunch. Tripadvisor mentioned Fat Hen and we decided to try. We thou roughly enjoyed brunch. Service and food was wonderful. It was so nice we returned for dinner. At dinner we had shrimp and grits and the fish of the day. Food preparation and presentation was very nice. We would go back again if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmmm good!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014A truly enjoyable evening of friends, food and beverage!! We own a second home on the Isle of Palms and have been wanting to eat at The Fat Hen for a while but thought it was a bit of a drive for dinner. However, it was worth every minute it took to get there and we will definitely return. I'm a big fan of roosters and hens so I loved the homey, French feel to the restaurant and the food was simply delicious. Our wait staff was professional and friendly without being overly attentive. Thanks to the entire staff for such a lovely evening of dining!Special Features:
- Best meal in Charleston WOW!YumchsDined on 10/21/2014First and foremost excellent food! We had great service too. One of, if not, the best meal in Charleston and its surrounding areas! WOW! Great value in the meal as well. Proper portions to allow others at the table to try your meal. There was a wide variety of choices too! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!MelissaDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful food and a good drink and wine list. The noise level was however deafening, and as a couple we could not even have a pleasant conversation without shouting across the very small table for two. I realize the concrete floor and lack of walls and window treatments contribute to the noise level, but it really was almost unnerving. Despite that, the food was excellent, and I'd recommend the food thereSpecial Features:
- Ear Plugs or throat spray or bothLoudandproudDined on 10/19/2014The food is great, service is average, host on Sunday's is rude and pompous. Made reservations for 1 pm, was seated at 115 by host who did not speak but made eye contact and gestured that our table was ready. Places 3 menus down at table and before we can be seated is halfway back to hostess stand without saying a word. The space is way to small for the number of tables, ceiling is very low, and cramped. Can not have a normal conversation with your party at table and must talk too loud to be heard. They are known for their brunch on Sunday and that is the busiest day. Still too cramped for a nice dinner because of layout. Highly recommend to owner to expand. Always busy and need more room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch experienceErinlDined on 10/19/2014We ate here while visiting charleston and had a delicious brunch. It was a pretty drive to here from downtown charleston and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.