3140 Maybank Hwy
Johns Island, SC 29455Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefathen.com/
- Phone: 8435599090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday - 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu - 4:00pm - till
Sunday Brunch - 10:00am - 3:00pm (starting September 7th)
Reservations accepted, Take Out Available, Closed: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Neuville
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Fat Hen has a beautiful glassed in patio facing the front of the restaurant and overlooking the grand oak trees and azaleas.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Creed and Sarah Stech 8435599090x
A word from Fat Hen
Chef Fred Neuville is excited to embark on his first solo venture. “With Fat Hen, I am striving to create a neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and signature French-inspired Southern cuisine,” he says. “Johns Island is a fast-growing area and I believe island residents – along with others from around Charleston – will appreciate what we have to offer.” Fat Hen’s main dishes center around innovative French classics with Low country cuisine. The Braised Chicken features locally raised free-range chicken braised in red wine with rich bacon lardons, pearl onions & mushrooms. Fat Hen’s Short Ribs, a favorite signature dish among family and friends, is braised for hours in a rich veal broth. We also deal with local farmers to provide a great source of fresh farm vegetables to enhance your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Fat Hen - Best Restaurants in Johns Island ›
Fat Hen reviews from OpenTable diners
382 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (263)neighborhood gem (223)great for brunch (122)special occasion (118)kid-friendly (103)good for groups (94)great for outdoor dining (84)hot spot (82)notable wine list (48)romantic (38)great for lunch (37)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great as alwaysFabulousDined on 9/29/2014This place is so much fun the staff is incredible and fun and knowledgable and everyone there always makes sure you have a great time and the food is incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014Sothern Road house meets French Country. Can't make it up...but it sure works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First BrunchBigD44Dined on 9/28/2014While we have been to the Fat Hen for dinner numerous times, this was our first "brunch" .... with the rain pouring down who would have thought everyone in the greater Charleston had the same idea. Despite the crowd, and the weather, it was a great meal with outstanding service from the front desk to the wait staff. We decided to try all new dishes as opposed to our favorites from the dinner menu. We've told numerous guests that you "can't miss" at the FH, and we validated that opinion with all of our choices. The crab cake, (no filler), peanut and corn salad, duck and apple sausage gratin...... all were excellent.....and the carafe of mimosas at $10., what a nice surprise. Just can't miss.Special Features:
- Perfect BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My husband and I tried this place for brunch and we had an amazing time! The food was delicious. Just don't forget to make a reservation! It would have been an hour wait if we wouldn't have reserved the night prior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2014Fat Hen's food is outstanding, but they would benefit from controlling the noise level in the dining room.Special Features:
- Love The Fat HenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We recently discovered this delightful gem! It is wonderful.Special Features:
- Solid Food on the IslandshmaiDined on 9/26/2014not many options in Kiawah and this place is closer than going into Charleston and better than eating on the Kiawah resort. food is solid and large portions. menu is diverse. reasonably priced. nice servers.Special Features:
- Thursday 9/25Bluegrassgirl2Dined on 9/25/2014Our table was ready and the service was excellent. We were seated on the back porch and an air-cond. vent was blowing on us...it was freezing! We asked to move but the tables were booked. Other than that, our meal was good. I got the short ribs which are always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodcharcuteriepleaseDined on 9/25/2014One of our favorite restaurants ever. This time was very good, all of our food choices were delicious and perfectly prepared. The service was ok - we have been spoiled in the past and we think our server tonight was either new or distracted - either way he was not up to the standards set by his peers.Special Features:
- Our 40th wedding anniversaryChrisKonkDined on 9/23/2014We did lots of research as we were visiting this area on our 40th wedding anniversary. The host went our of his way to find us this special table I had noticed when we arrived. I had called in advance to mention this special occasion. We were given a small bottle of excellent champagne as a gift to this occasion. The service and food were outstanding. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!Special Features:
- Good, just...SjbrownpsuDined on 9/21/2014I found the Fat Hen from multiple recommendations on Urbanspoon, and it was good. I was disappointed that they were only serving brunch at 2:30 on a Sunday. I know, I know, that's kind of standard, but I had my heart set on "real" menu items, and they were limited. My wife had the onion soup, and it was fantastic, I wish I had gotten it instead of the charcuterie, which was billed as sausages but was mostly pate. My shrimp Cobb salad was delicious, as was my wife's chicken fried steak. I tried the root beer cake for dessert, on the server's suggestion but now wish I had tried the daily special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat HenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We thought food and service top notch but with the room being filled it was really loud. Would still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Amazing as always! Definitely one of my favorites in Charleston. Super friendly service and food that is to die for (especially the mussels in curry sauce, yum!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night Out During Our Stay!6sistersdiningDined on 9/20/2014Our dining experience was terrific. The restaurant was charming and had a comfortable feel the moment we walked in. We were there to celebrate a 50th birthday and our waitor really made our night with his suggestions on food and wine, and due to his friendly attentive manner. The manager even stopped by and later sent a flight of champagne for the birthday girl! Will make it there again on our next visit to Charleston!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Great as usual but very disappointed in the change of the Shrimp and crab. It is fabulous with the pimento but I miss the old way. I guess I need to find a new favorite:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuddickDined on 9/19/2014I would highly recommend the Fat Hen. The food was superb, the service was excellent and the atmosphere was casual and comfortable. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and worth the driveAMCoffeeDined on 9/18/2014I haven't been to this restaurant in years and it was even better than I remembered. Nikki was our server and she was very attentive and personal. The cheese plate, Seared Grouper and Salmon were outstanding. This is well worth the trip to Johns Island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findCathyDined on 9/18/2014I always try to return to Fat Hen when in Charleston. Excellent menu with accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014After having read about the Fat Hen, we were not disappointed. THe food was great and the service was too. Will defintely return and will recommend to our friends.Special Features:
- Why haven't I been back sooner?SallllavationDined on 9/18/2014Years ago I had the opputunity to go yo the Fat Hen and really enjoyed it, but then just got very busy eating at the copious amount of fine dinning Charleston has to offer. This past Thursday had the chance to return for a birthday celebration of a friend! What a fabulous dinner had by the 4 if us. It's great to be among other foodies to share dishes. From the escargot to the mussels in curry appetizers and coqcoq vin... The Mahi and creamy shrimp and grits.. Wow.. And we eat lots of shrimp and grit in this area of the world. A shot above and reminded me to return soon.Special Features:
- Expectations met and exceededDiningwellDined on 9/15/2014We were visiting Charleston and it was our first time at the Fat Hen. I had the mahi mahi special, and others in our group had coq au vin, salmon bernaise, and the braised duck. We all were exceptionally pleased at our meals. Servers were personable, informed, and professional. The noise level was a little more than I hoped, but it fits into the convivial atmosphere. It was not a negative. Excellent choices for wines. And the desserts were a great finish to our meals. Best Key Lime pie I've had. As I said, expectations were met and exceeded. Of all the many fine restaurants in the area, this choice should be near the top. It is on ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great service.LisauncwDined on 9/15/2014Great food. Great service. Knowledgable staff. Some of out party was gluten free and there were plenty if options. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch but...Element07Dined on 9/14/2014We've been here several times and that is why we return. The service is typically very good as is the food. The ambiance is acceptable however the reastaurant is often crowded and therefore somewhat noisier than one might prefer. I had the duck BBQ sandwich and fries. It was very good. Well prepared. The fries are as good as any I've had anywhere. My wife had the chicken pot pie and while it presents nicely at the table it is not very good. She wished she had sent it back. An odd taste to it which may have been the spices or mushrooms. I tried it too and did not like it. Chicken included dark and light meat and was more pulled off the bone rather than chopped. One shouldn't need a knife to eat chicken pot pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKateDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant kindly accomodated our large party of 11 and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Always great foodNeildiamondDined on 9/13/2014We come for the mussels and we got the mussels! Unbelievable flavor and we keep coming back, making day trips from Hilton Head just so we can stop for dinner. The only downside was the waiter, Chris, who must have thought everyone was deaf as he yelled everything he said!Special Features:
- MaggietapsDined on 9/13/2014This was my husband's and my second time here. We decided to bring our parents to dine here when they came in town. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food, atmosphere, and specialty drinks!!! We WILL back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJillVIPDined on 9/11/2014VEry nice wait staff and amamzing food! The short ribs were perfect!Special Features:
- Very Goodpmears54Dined on 9/11/2014I enjoyed the service and food very much, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Excellent dining experience! We highly recommend Fat Hen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE WORDCheezeWhizDined on 9/9/2014"OUTSTANDING" Well I have to add characters and the words, great, tremendous, can be added to my outstanding!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!ChefmomDined on 9/7/2014Our friends came for a visit and brunch was on the agenda! My husband and I absolutely love The Fat Hen for dinner and have often thought of partaking of brunch, so I made a reservation and off we went. We arrived on time and were seated immediately, out on the enclosed porch. Our waitress was adorable and the meal spectacular! It's one of our favorite places to eat- Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchTeam4Dined on 9/7/2014Eaten at Fat Hen multiple times but this was our first brunch. The menu had so many items that were compelling that we could come back for a year of Sunday brunches. The food did not disappoint. However, there were delays in service this time that were a disappointment. It took 15 to 20 minutes to get our drink order...it was a carafe of the mimosas that are offered during brunch so should not be something that takes that long to get to the table. The table next to us had their food before their drinks as well so something awry in the beverage delivery process. We also ordered dessert and that took 15+ minutes. Our entrees were delivered timely and were excellent. Again, timing issues although server was good and food was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Although we always enjoy the Fat Hen, there was clearly not enough staff last Sunday to serve the patrons. The wait between placing our order and receiving our food was 45 minutes!
- Great Restaurant, Off NightAshton87Dined on 9/6/2014Let me start off by saying that I love Fat Hen. It is our favorite restaurant in Charleston, & as locals we eat here at least twice a month. We always receive great service, & the food is delicious. Unfortunately, this past Saturday, we had an usually bad experience with what seemed to be a new server. We came in for our reservation at 8:45 & after being seated, waited over 20 minutes for someone to take our drink order. We kept getting ignored & being told that we were being passed off to a different waiter, then our original waiter finally returned to take our food order. This was my mother's first time here & her water was never even refilled over the course of the meal. The whole situation was extremely off-putting and disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Hen - Good Neighborhood FoodGoodFatHenDined on 9/6/2014My recent visit to the Fat Hen on Johns Island, Charleston, SC was a surprise. I was expecting typical roadhouse food and was pleasantly surprised. My wife is a vegan and they were able to accommodate her food needs. The other party members are fairly health and nutrition conscious, but still love really good and tasty food. We were not disappointed. The heirloom tomato salad was outstanding! The fresh fish and short rib entres were delicious. Overall, a good neighborhood find. Good wine offerings and their draft beers were fine, but could be expanded to offer more (now I am knit picking)Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014One of my favorite places to eat. Food is ALWAYS great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lad14Dined on 9/3/2014Service and food were excellent as usual. Our friends (first time there) enjoyed the food and would love to go back. The noise level is high and there was a party with a young child who was screaming at the top of her lungs---very annoying.Special Features:
- AWESOME GOODKenLDined on 9/1/2014One of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at, and I live near NY City and have dined at some good places, the HEN is as good as any and better than most. I have had the pleasure of dining here before and never pass up a chance to go back. In fact, while there dining we reserved a table for the following week. DO NOT miss a chance to dine here if you are in the CHARLESTON, SC area.Special Features:
- Romantic/ Special occasionFoodie579Dined on 8/29/2014Awesome fried green tomatoes (with goat cheese pimento), salmon, flounder and shrimp and grits were fabulous! The she crab soup was the best I've ever had! Fresh cream and the sherry wasn't too overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous!Leafsfan927Dined on 8/29/2014We try to go to Fat Hen every time we are in town from VA. The food is extraordinary, drinks are creative and the service is outstanding. We always get the cheese board, duck confit, and definitely save room for dessert. Loved the Blackberry Pot de Creme!Special Features: