3140 Maybank Hwy
Johns Island, SC 29455Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefathen.com/
- Phone: 8435599090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday - 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu - 4:00pm - till
Sunday Brunch - 10:00am - 3:00pm (starting September 7th)
Reservations accepted, Take Out Available, Closed: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Neuville
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Fat Hen has a beautiful glassed in patio facing the front of the restaurant and overlooking the grand oak trees and azaleas.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Creed and Sarah Stech 8435599090x
A word from Fat Hen
Chef Fred Neuville is excited to embark on his first solo venture. “With Fat Hen, I am striving to create a neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and signature French-inspired Southern cuisine,” he says. “Johns Island is a fast-growing area and I believe island residents – along with others from around Charleston – will appreciate what we have to offer.” Fat Hen’s main dishes center around innovative French classics with Low country cuisine. The Braised Chicken features locally raised free-range chicken braised in red wine with rich bacon lardons, pearl onions & mushrooms. Fat Hen’s Short Ribs, a favorite signature dish among family and friends, is braised for hours in a rich veal broth. We also deal with local farmers to provide a great source of fresh farm vegetables to enhance your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Fat Hen - Best Restaurants in Johns Island ›
Fat Hen reviews from OpenTable diners
355 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (250)neighborhood gem (206)special occasion (113)great for brunch (100)good for groups (99)kid-friendly (80)great for outdoor dining (75)hot spot (65)notable wine list (49)romantic (46)great for lunch (33)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Mmmmmm good!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014A truly enjoyable evening of friends, food and beverage!! We own a second home on the Isle of Palms and have been wanting to eat at The Fat Hen for a while but thought it was a bit of a drive for dinner. However, it was worth every minute it took to get there and we will definitely return. I'm a big fan of roosters and hens so I loved the homey, French feel to the restaurant and the food was simply delicious. Our wait staff was professional and friendly without being overly attentive. Thanks to the entire staff for such a lovely evening of dining!Special Features:
- Best meal in Charleston WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014First and foremost excellent food! We had great service too. One of, if not, the best meal in Charleston and its surrounding areas! WOW! Great value in the meal as well. Proper portions to allow others at the table to try your meal. There was a wide variety of choices too! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!MelissaDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful food and a good drink and wine list. The noise level was however deafening, and as a couple we could not even have a pleasant conversation without shouting across the very small table for two. I realize the concrete floor and lack of walls and window treatments contribute to the noise level, but it really was almost unnerving. Despite that, the food was excellent, and I'd recommend the food thereSpecial Features:
- Ear Plugs or throat spray or bothLoudandproudDined on 10/19/2014The food is great, service is average, host on Sunday's is rude and pompous. Made reservations for 1 pm, was seated at 115 by host who did not speak but made eye contact and gestured that our table was ready. Places 3 menus down at table and before we can be seated is halfway back to hostess stand without saying a word. The space is way to small for the number of tables, ceiling is very low, and cramped. Can not have a normal conversation with your party at table and must talk too loud to be heard. They are known for their brunch on Sunday and that is the busiest day. Still too cramped for a nice dinner because of layout. Highly recommend to owner to expand. Always busy and need more room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch experienceErinlDined on 10/19/2014We ate here while visiting charleston and had a delicious brunch. It was a pretty drive to here from downtown charleston and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as it always is!Armstrong56VIPDined on 10/18/2014The Fat Hen never lets you down. I am a repeat customer over and over. Mussels are the favorite appetizer. All of the entrees are worthy of mention. This evening the crab cakes were phenomenal.Special Features:
- Dinner for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We arrived at the time of our reservation and they seated us right away, the food was great as always and the service was right on. This is great neighborhood restaurant with great service and the chief does a great job it's always consistent, if you are looking for a great place to eat dinner and have a few cocktails this place is a must, the dress is casual and it's a very good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The Fat Hen was recommended to me by a friend, and wow, am I glad we took her advice! The food was amazing, the staff were gracious and helpful, and overall, it was a wonderful experience. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just alrightJohnsokmDined on 10/18/2014It was okay. It's a pretty but small place. Food came out quickly even though we came in with a rush of people. We ordered a drink when we first got there. Bartender was rude and arrogant. Fries were a side for most of our dishes. They were over cooked and cold. Veggies were greasy and not very fresh. Device was slow towards the end. Took a while to get dessert and our check back. We were there for two hours. It was a long drive for a "just alright" meal. But, the dessert was the best part.Special Features:
- Good FoodKCaseyDined on 10/17/2014The waitress was beyond nice and attentive. She added to our experience. The food was good, not as good as we expected. However, we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in outskirts - CharlestonTinkchefDined on 10/17/2014Mastery of mussels, interesting take on Coq au Vin, great wine list and outstanding service by Joe. Were I a local I would be a regular. As a serious cook of French descent, they did both proud!Special Features:
- Delicious food, great service!AndieDDined on 10/16/2014This was our 5th trip to The Fat Hen. It just keeps getting better and better! Selecting one of the dishes is nearly impossible...you just have to go with friends and share...it is the only way. The wait staff has been consistent for years; all servers know the menu well and can answer detailed questions. Wonderful atmosphere and whimsical/rustic interior design. One of my favorite restaurants period!Special Features:
- MellDined on 10/16/2014Our favorite restaurant when we vacation at Kiawah Island.Special Features:
- DessertDessertDined on 10/14/2014OMG....the bread pudding was awesome :-) and it should be on the menu all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spot onBLackCldDined on 10/13/2014We always enjoy the consistently great food and service at the Hen. Mussels are the best in the area. Service was attentive and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dylan, extremely pleasantFathenforeverDined on 10/13/2014The food was awesome the employees were great and the memories everlasting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Hen, the bomb!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014The food and service were exceptionally good. A little pricy for that far away from King Street and Shem Creek but our party of four was seated on time after I made reservations around 5 on Saturday afternoon. The restaurant was packed when we sat down at 9. This was a very busy weekend in Charleston. We found almost all of the hotels were sold out at least a week prior to this weekend so the streets were crowded downtown, not sure why other than folks just love Charleston in the fall. I'd definitely recommend the Fat Hen to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It!LocalDined on 10/11/2014One of my favorite meals in Charleston. The "RIB" is wonderful as the boiled peanut salad. The service is very friendly and the prices are reasonable. Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan FriendlyVegansDined on 10/11/2014We are vegans and have always found the staff at the Fat Hen willing to provide an excellent dining experience for us. The meals are delicious, nutritional and beautifully presented. Their staff is exceptional.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodPhilDined on 10/8/2014You will not have a bad meal here. Good selection of regular and specials. We have been here 4 times over the last 3 years while visiting Kiawah and the value exceeds what the resort has to offer. That being said something was a little "off" this time. For example when we arrived on time the greeter and her companion seemed confused as to where we should be seated. After staring at each other they finally made the decision and seated us. Service and food were good. When we opted for the dessert special they came back that they were all out (at 8:15). So you will have a good but not great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just love Fat HenCorollaDined on 10/7/2014I very seldom give 5 stars to anything, but here is a place that deserves it. All six of us loved our meals and the service was professional yet fun. He was knowledgeable about the menu and the wines. I had the pasta and shrimp and it was amazing. Others had meatloaf, crab cakes, braised short ribs and duck. Everyone said it was one of the best meals they had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEaterDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by friends when we visited Charleston, but we were not as impressed. First, we had an extremely difficult time finding the restaurant. Do not follow GPS! We had to stop at a local gas station to get directions. The atmosphere was homey, friendly and energetic. Our waitress was friendly and casual, and she took time to explain the menu. The food was just okay. Our entrees were good, but did not "wow" us. On the night we dined, they were out of the fish special and the dessert special. While the waitress was honest about the substitutions, it is disappointing that a restaurant that takes reservations would run out of a dessert. All in all, we would go back, but there are better restaurants to try.
- Great food and gluten friendlyfarm2tableDined on 10/4/2014Great dinner! During our recent trip we were looking for good food with an inventive interpretation of southern cuisine. The Fat hen did not disappoint. Crab cake, fried green tomatoes, pimento cheese, flounder, and duck confit...all great dishes with great service and gluten friendly. While the food was excellent it was our waiter, Jason, who took the dining experience to an extra level. Thank you for making us feel so welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014Our dinner was delicious. It always is. Thank you for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good in all aspectsLocalDined on 9/30/2014Overall an excellent dining experience. Staff was helpful, courteous and friendly. Food was excellent - one dish was outstanding and the other very good. Completely satisfied with our meal.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysFabulousDined on 9/29/2014This place is so much fun the staff is incredible and fun and knowledgable and everyone there always makes sure you have a great time and the food is incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014Sothern Road house meets French Country. Can't make it up...but it sure works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food & serviceGManDined on 9/29/2014This was our first time here and it was a very good choice. It's billed as a french restaurant, but the menu seems more American and low country. We shared an arugula salad with fennel, and spiced pecans. It was a bit soggy but okay. The restaurant offered 3 different bottles of whites and 3 different reds for $20/ea. We opted for the South African Souvignon Blanc which was very good. We had the Mahi-Mahi special and the Flounder Nicoise over creamy, cheese & bacon grits. Both were very good choices. We passed on the desserts since we were both full from our meals. Our server, Joe, was friendly and very helpful in describing our dishes to us. Aside from the salad, our meal was first rate and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First BrunchBigD44Dined on 9/28/2014While we have been to the Fat Hen for dinner numerous times, this was our first "brunch" .... with the rain pouring down who would have thought everyone in the greater Charleston had the same idea. Despite the crowd, and the weather, it was a great meal with outstanding service from the front desk to the wait staff. We decided to try all new dishes as opposed to our favorites from the dinner menu. We've told numerous guests that you "can't miss" at the FH, and we validated that opinion with all of our choices. The crab cake, (no filler), peanut and corn salad, duck and apple sausage gratin...... all were excellent.....and the carafe of mimosas at $10., what a nice surprise. Just can't miss.Special Features:
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Great Food ! Glad I made a reservation, the place was packed for Sunday brunch. Shows the quality of the food and restaurant, when there are people waiting to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BrunchchsfoodieDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I tried this place for brunch and we had an amazing time! The food was delicious. Just don't forget to make a reservation! It would have been an hour wait if we wouldn't have reserved the night prior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2014Fat Hen's food is outstanding, but they would benefit from controlling the noise level in the dining room.Special Features:
- Love The Fat HenAmazingDined on 9/28/2014We recently discovered this delightful gem! It is wonderful.Special Features:
- Solid Food on the IslandshmaiDined on 9/26/2014not many options in Kiawah and this place is closer than going into Charleston and better than eating on the Kiawah resort. food is solid and large portions. menu is diverse. reasonably priced. nice servers.Special Features:
- Thursday 9/25Bluegrassgirl2Dined on 9/25/2014Our table was ready and the service was excellent. We were seated on the back porch and an air-cond. vent was blowing on us...it was freezing! We asked to move but the tables were booked. Other than that, our meal was good. I got the short ribs which are always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodcharcuteriepleaseDined on 9/25/2014One of our favorite restaurants ever. This time was very good, all of our food choices were delicious and perfectly prepared. The service was ok - we have been spoiled in the past and we think our server tonight was either new or distracted - either way he was not up to the standards set by his peers.Special Features:
- Our 40th wedding anniversaryChrisKonkDined on 9/23/2014We did lots of research as we were visiting this area on our 40th wedding anniversary. The host went our of his way to find us this special table I had noticed when we arrived. I had called in advance to mention this special occasion. We were given a small bottle of excellent champagne as a gift to this occasion. The service and food were outstanding. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!Special Features:
- Good, just...SjbrownpsuDined on 9/21/2014I found the Fat Hen from multiple recommendations on Urbanspoon, and it was good. I was disappointed that they were only serving brunch at 2:30 on a Sunday. I know, I know, that's kind of standard, but I had my heart set on "real" menu items, and they were limited. My wife had the onion soup, and it was fantastic, I wish I had gotten it instead of the charcuterie, which was billed as sausages but was mostly pate. My shrimp Cobb salad was delicious, as was my wife's chicken fried steak. I tried the root beer cake for dessert, on the server's suggestion but now wish I had tried the daily special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat HenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We thought food and service top notch but with the room being filled it was really loud. Would still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Amazing as always! Definitely one of my favorites in Charleston. Super friendly service and food that is to die for (especially the mussels in curry sauce, yum!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.