3140 Maybank Hwy
Johns Island, SC 29455Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefathen.com/
- Phone: 8435599090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday - 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu - 4:00pm - till
Sunday Brunch - 10:00am - 3:00pm (starting September 7th)
Reservations accepted, Take Out Available, Closed: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Neuville
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Fat Hen has a beautiful glassed in patio facing the front of the restaurant and overlooking the grand oak trees and azaleas.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Creed and Sarah Stech 8435599090x
A word from Fat Hen
Chef Fred Neuville is excited to embark on his first solo venture. “With Fat Hen, I am striving to create a neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and signature French-inspired Southern cuisine,” he says. “Johns Island is a fast-growing area and I believe island residents – along with others from around Charleston – will appreciate what we have to offer.” Fat Hen’s main dishes center around innovative French classics with Low country cuisine. The Braised Chicken features locally raised free-range chicken braised in red wine with rich bacon lardons, pearl onions & mushrooms. Fat Hen’s Short Ribs, a favorite signature dish among family and friends, is braised for hours in a rich veal broth. We also deal with local farmers to provide a great source of fresh farm vegetables to enhance your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Fat Hen - Best Restaurants in Johns Island ›
Fat Hen reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (263)neighborhood gem (233)great for brunch (139)special occasion (123)kid-friendly (105)good for groups (91)hot spot (87)great for outdoor dining (87)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (44)romantic (43)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (14)scenic view (3)Show More
- Romantic/ Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Awesome fried green tomatoes (with goat cheese pimento), salmon, flounder and shrimp and grits were fabulous! The she crab soup was the best I've ever had! Fresh cream and the sherry wasn't too overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We try to go to Fat Hen every time we are in town from VA. The food is extraordinary, drinks are creative and the service is outstanding. We always get the cheese board, duck confit, and definitely save room for dessert. Loved the Blackberry Pot de Creme!Special Features:
- Excellent gf/dairy free choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Super yummy! Coq au vin was as good as if we were in France. We will be going back for sure :)Special Features:
- RussellSalleyDined on 8/28/2014Food is always excellent as is the service. Very loud but fun loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousNaptownDined on 8/27/2014Four of us had wonderful dinners. Coq au Vin (very rich), Grouper and Short Rib. Fried green tomato appetizer was perfect. Smoked beet salad awesome. Loved everything including the Low Country Lemonade cocktail. Only complaint is that it is very noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent Excellent Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Main room too noisy. Porch area perfect for visiting at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Hen FailOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014This visit to Fat Hen was at 7:30pm and we had reservations for my girlfriend's birthday. We were seated in the "add-on" enclosed patio right next to the storm door leading outside. And that door was quite busy all night. Really? I tell you this is for a birthday and you sit us on the porch by the door? Noise level ratings are "Quite, Moderate, and Energetic". When did Energetic replace Loud? This place is loud...along with most restaurants in the South that feel the need to cram as many tables and chairs next to one another as possible, with no sound dampening decor. Not happy, and not going back for a while.
- Why go into CharlestonSpmyDined on 8/25/2014The food here is as good as many of the well known downtown spots, but in a more casual setting and at better prices. Servers really know the food and can help steer you to choices that fit your preferences while hitting the chef's high points Entree portions are very generous, so split appetizers Shrimp and crab, lamb shank, and braised rib were top notch. Beef tartare was made from an off-cut and was too chewySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014noise level was so bad that we could not have a conversation without yelling and even though the food may have been good with the exception of the sides, which were really quite like a mom & pops type. I would not return because of the noise level. It was quite unsettling , when our expectations were of a nice quite dinner with a french flair. It was very much like the neighborhood steakhouse. I left with a headache and slightly upset stomach the noise was really irritating. and this was on a Monday night.Special Features:
- 2.50 per shrimp?FoodygirlDined on 8/24/2014I have always had great experiences at the fat hen. This time, however, I asked the waiter if I could add grilled shrimp to a salad. He responded, " how many shrimp would you like?" I was perplexed by this question and he quickly explained that they charge $2.50 per individual shrimp.... ??....Needless to say, I revised my order and got the salad that already came wth shrimp. After I observed the size of the shrimp that were on that salad, I was even more confused, as they were medium sized shrimp at best. Fat Hen will always be one of my favorite restaurants with great food and service.. I just found this large shrimp fee very strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibletarheelgirlDined on 8/24/2014The food is so tasty & unique!! One of the best restaurants we have ever eaten at.Special Features:
- Country French Great FindVeroDebDined on 8/23/2014Found the restaurant online to take my sister for her birthday...What a treat to drive out in the country to this address and find a full thriving, welcoming, eatery.....With really good food. Thanks for making her birthday a success. Even to her food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FABulous Fat Hen!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We continue to be impressed by the Fat Hen. We consider the food to be the best-prepared, the freshest farm-to-table, and most aesthetically-presented dishes in the greater Charleston area. The Grouper with field beans, Coq au Vin, the Mussels (do get the large, they are perfectly done), and even the burger for a quickbuger...soooo delicious!!! The very dedicated staff provide knowlegeable suggestions on pairing wines with meals. We make a point to eat there 1-2 times a month. But for lots of travel away, we would eat at the Fat Hen even more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoneyDined on 8/21/2014The food was good. I think the waiter must have been new. He wasnot very familiar with the wine list. The noise level was so high that you could hardly carry on a conversation. Way too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, noisy dining.beourguestDined on 8/20/2014This was my 2nd visit. Seated immediately with reservations. Served quickly. Food delicious. Curried mussels were excellent. It was crowded and very noisy. Hummingbird pie for dessert was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining at Fat HenGburgfoodieDined on 8/20/2014This was our first visit and we had a great dining experience. Very laid back homey atmosphere with terrific friendly service, great cocktails, and wonderful food. I loved the oyster appetizer with Benton ham. The sheephead fish special was delicious, as were the shrimp and grits. We will definitely be back next time in Kiawah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every timefriendoffoodDined on 8/19/2014We have been to the Fat Hen every time we vacation in the Charleston area and we have never been disappointed. They have great creativity for their meals and their staff is always well informed. I can't remember any portion of any meal where the food was exceptional. As long as their standards remain at this level we will also returnSpecial Features:
- A mixed reviewdonworVIPDined on 8/19/2014Excellent food, very but disappointing service. For my third meal at Fat Hen (I'm a seasonal visitor), my grouper was perfectly cooked and delicious. Our nervously courteous server, clearly new, and making allowances for this, it was apparent that he lacked training. We never got bread; our appetizer order was put in and brought out before we had even confirmed that we wanted it. We assumed that our wine would come before the meal, but we had to remind him about it after our meal arrived. To his credit, he was very helpful in finding an entree which my friend (with a serious food allergy) could eat. The noise level with 2 families with children nearby made conversation difficult, and as a parent & former teacher, I'm tolerant of kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!JohnsIslandGalDined on 8/18/2014The title says it all: quite possibly the best meal I have ever had! Fat Hen is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular AgainArmstrong56Dined on 8/18/2014Had a wonderful experience at Fat Hen. My spouse has an allergy and the waitstaff could not have been more attentive to her needs. The kitchen modified her entree and she loved it. The mussels as an appetizer are always a standing order for us when dining at the Fat Hen.Special Features:
- ajaxDined on 8/17/2014perfect. just absolutely perfect......we live in charleston and this was our first visit. We WILL be back!!Special Features:
- LOVED it!mb25Dined on 8/16/2014The food at Fat Hen was excellent!! One of my favorite dining experiences for both food and ambiance. We sat outside, which had music playing and felt pretty private. For our appetizer, we got the pistou steamed mussels, which were incredible and probably my favorite part of the meal. We got the duck and coq au vin for dinner and they were both great. The wine we ordered was also delicious and the service was great. :)Special Features:
- Top notch in all respectschsdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've had Fat Hen on our must try list for quite some time and I wished we had tried it sooner! There were so many things on the menu we wanted we've already made plans to go back.Special Features:
- Another fantastic meal at Fat HenSDAZDined on 8/15/2014This was my second time at Fat Hen and I was not disappointed. I had family visiting from New Orleans and they were very impressed with the food, service, and cocktails.Special Features:
- barbandkenbarbandkenDined on 8/15/2014took my husband for a belated b'day dinner. he thoroughly enjoyed it and so did I. the food was great. loved the atmosphere. highly recommend it and I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wvfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Well worth the drive from kiawah - great southern food especially loved the shrimp and crab and thw fried green tomatoes where the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good m_VERY LOUDlibbyDined on 8/13/2014food good -VERY LOUD- made ii not as enjoyable - due to talking so loud to have a conversationSpecial Features:
- Fat HenLRkrVIPDined on 8/12/2014Had a great meal at Fat Hen. The pork chop was great with collard greens wow! Service was attentive and we gad a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem on Johns IslandcperrydineDined on 8/11/2014Delicious meals start with fresh food and attention to detail, like the food served at the Fat Hen. In addition to an interesting menu, our server was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. When one of the guests in our group asked to substitute a side on the entree. our server offered several good choices as well as discouraged other options. "That just doesn't work together," she offered. The Fat Hen menu has something for everyone, including those that want to explore their food fantasies as well as those that want a "skinny chicken" treat. I highly recommend this restaurant. If you want to have a timely dinner, make sure that you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful Sunday Brunch at Fat Hen. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- MickyP3VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great brunch with interesting choices on the menu. Fat Hen Burrito and Open Faced Brisket Sandwich w/Mac & cheese are both great. They had our table waiting for our reservation even though the restaurant was crowded a practice we greatly appreciate. We really enjoyed our meal and the attentive service. We'll be going back for brunch again.Special Features:
- Love the Fat HenanimalloverlovesFatHenDined on 8/10/2014The Fat Hen is one of our favorite restaurants that we visit often. Our favorite time is to invite a few friends and come for Sunday brunch. The only negative thing I could say is that it is a bit noisy, but everything else is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, I appreciate the Fat Hen's support for animal groups such as the Charleston Animal Society and Lowcountry Lab Rescue. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomeJJJJx5VIPDined on 8/9/2014We have gone every year while on vacation for past 5 years and it is great each and every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SeafoodFishmanDined on 8/9/2014As always the food was wonderful. The Fat Hen never under cooks or over cooks seafood - Always perfect. Friendly and attentive staff and outstanding food.Special Features:
- Fat Hen CommentsFFanDined on 8/8/2014When we travel to Folly Beach on vacation each year, dinner at Fat Hen is always a highlight (sometimes we go twice in the week). Fat Hen serves incredible entrées. The service is also great. The weak spot is the side dishes. For example, the duck I ordered was wonderful, but the side of garlic spinach was only fair and the side of roasted diced sweet potato was poor. My daughter really enjoys the creamed corn, but it is basically just corn with some cream and a lot of butter. Overall, they do a great job but I would enjoy it more with more focus on the side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must be goodReg2ChucktownDined on 8/7/2014It's apparent that Fat Hen is a restaurant to try and visit as frequently as possible. We always try to eat there when visiting Charleston, but without a reservation, it's either too early or too late to eat there. I would not suggest a late night dinner unless you work the graveyard shift and tend to be on your feet all night long. The food is varied and delicious and ample. One comment for improvement would be for a menu item of a vegetable plate to take advantage of all the great vegetables. It appears all the meals are selected items but substitution is available. I would suggest a visit to the Fat Hen when in Charleston. The food is great and the price moderate. Give it a try and then you'll become a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014One of the best meals we had in charleston. Off the beaten path, but worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is probably better.ironchefmattDined on 8/4/2014Our expectations were higher than what was delivered by this establishment. We tried both the French onion and she crab as well as the escargot. While the she crab was good the French onion and escargot were not. Soggy bread and rushed gratine' as well as over salted escargot grit didn't make for good start to our experience. Mains were rib, pork chop, Coq au vin, and snapper. We overheard the waitstaff tell another table that the bbq rib was the best in the state...it was not. The sauce for the rib way too sweet "pom frittes" soggy. The snapper good, beurre blanc good but the rest was thrown together. (Bean medley) Chop was excellent and coq au vin was very good. In my opinion restaurant is overrated. Host "we don't sit partial parties".Special Features:
- Delicious!Lapeche1Dined on 8/3/2014Way to loud. It was like eating in a cafeteria! But the food and service were great. I may go back if less crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch after churchplanters71Dined on 8/3/2014Not our first time at Fat Hen, but the first for brunch and we were definitely not disappointed. Not your run-of-the-mill brunch food either. All very well prepared with superb service from Nicki.Special Features: