Fat Fish Cantina Grill
4474 Mission Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Fat Fish Cantina Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fatfishcantinagrill.com/
- Phone: 8584902877
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Christopher Bates
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater almost any event.
A word from Fat Fish Cantina Grill
A Southern California eatery motivated to be a leader in affordable dining at the beach area. Fat Fish is inspired by seasonal harvests from the freshest pacific seafood, and California farm lands, paired with prime aged beef, & fresh poultry combining Southern Californian cooking trends with the flavor driven culinary style of our neighbors to the South.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fat Fish Cantina Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fair choice for DinnerMcm2Dined on 7/31/2014Service uneven. One platter was wrong and had to be sent back. Food average at bestSpecial Features:
- Server ruined it.DineladyDined on 7/28/2014Food was awesome, our server just missed every chance at making it a good experience. Forgot to give us napkins until 5 mins after our food arrived, which took a very long time to arrive. Luckily the food was really good, which partly made up for the horrible service. Maybe he was having an off night, but it was not a good experience.Special Features:
- Delicious Pacific beach findLovePBDined on 7/8/2014Food was amazing! Many speciality dishes to choose from as well as standard Mexican dishes. The ribs and jicama slaw were amazing. Skirt steak and seafood entrees were equally amazing. Great chips and salsa. Would definetly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014I thought the food was really good, but the service not so good at all. Don't know if maybe they were short staffed the day i was there or something else. Our table was never bussed and i had to beg the server to bring my check. I almost walked out without paying!Special Features:
- Good Mexican FoodBuckVIPDined on 6/26/2014Good food with a varied menu and good ambiance. The outdoor patio is a great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite to visit when in SDeatoutalotDined on 5/31/2014We stay in Pacific Beach a couple of times a year and usually come here each time. We enjoy the outside patio as it is usually way too noisy inside. Food is very good and service good as well. This Saturday evening the only two concerns were that our waiter got a group of 10 toward the end of our visit so he was slow to get over to us to refill drinks and get us the check. Also there was a large group sitting in between the inside and patio that was quite loud with yelling that were disturbing some of the other groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeEdJoDined on 5/16/2014We dont understand what the issues were for the other reviews but we had wonderful food great service and good value for our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster TacosFlateezyVIPDined on 5/5/2014Are to die for and the service is always great! It's a great spot in Pacific Beach for fun dining that's not terribly to "bar scene-ish"Special Features:
- The following 50 reviews are from the Fat Fish Cantina Grill reviews archive.
- Bachelorette Party Weekend Kick-OffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014I met my girlfriends here to kickoff a weekend in San Diego and we had a blast! The fish tacos were so delicious, not to be outdone by the margaritas! The service was great. The prices were reasonable and the service was great. Overall, I had a great experience and will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They under sell a great desertDennisDined on 2/22/2014They under sell a great desert as Banana Cheesecake. It is really good and is really a combination of a banana, ice crean, and other stuff. Mis-labled but really good.Special Features:
- Reasonable prices , but tastelessFishloverDined on 2/19/2014Reasonable prices , but tasteless sea bass and frozen tuna; (part of the fish had freezer burn ) . Spend a little more and enjoy a nice meal somewhere else
- This is the 2nd time I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014This is the 2nd time I have eaten here. Both times the food and service were great. Being this was Valentine's Day, and that they had a great lobster and Filet Mignon combo for 2 deal, which was delicious, and adequate portions to boot, I was amazed at how I was able to get seating just a few days before. Apparently, the word has not gotten out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceCW19Dined on 12/27/2013We were pleased with our meal. I wouldn't say that the food was outstanding, but it was better than average. Reasonably priced for San Diego.
- Delicious!DWMWDined on 11/17/2013Great food, awesome house drinks! Went here with my husband on a quiet Sunday night. Great location, parking lot (which you don't always find in that area), cool outdoor area with firepits, nothing bad to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch or Lunch and FootballfunkyVIPDined on 10/20/2013A block from the beach, free parking in their own lot, Excellent Bloody Mary's or in our case Bloody Maria's (with Tequila) and excellent carnitas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an average experience.FlojingleDined on 10/2/2013This is an average experience. Eating outside is nice. If you can avoid the pigeons overhead. Fire pit and live music is nice. Doesn't really get lively until after 7. Basically, it's mexican food. Drinks were watered down. I have better places I can go for mexican and great drinks.Special Features:
- DeliciousGeorgiaDined on 9/24/2013Ate here while on vacation. Very fresh and tasty. Had the seafood sampler, kids had fish & chips from kids menu. A fun and attractive find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food wasn't bad. But itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2013The food wasn't bad. But it wasn't anything I'd order again. The blood orange rita was blah. I'm not a drinker, and I couldn't even taste the alcohol. The brie only came with four small pieces of bread. But there was a good amount of brie. The shrimp taco plate was pretty tasty tho. The waiter must've had alot of tables inside, cause getting our marg took forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostess but great foodFamilyof4Dined on 8/13/2013Good food but service was a little spotty. The hostess walked by us 3 times before she offered to seat us. The food was excellent and made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant close to the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013They had live music-jazz on the patio. Very nice. Get the Shrimp posole very good. Have their own parking lot a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2013Good spot for a social gathering; good food and drinks. Atmosphere is suitable for friend and family gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great last-minute findOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/19/2013We were looking for a nice place to get some good food for us and our kids for our last night in the San Diego area. Luckily we found some great reviews on Open Table and decided to try it. The seafood combo I had was excellent, while the grilled mahi was enjoyed by my wife. Overall, we were very happy with the Fat Fish. We'll definitely come back on our next visit to Pacific Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice ladies nightTalieDined on 7/12/2013Had a very nice ladies night out here! We enjoyed the food and the margaritas! Will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to FatmarcyDined on 7/11/2013My husband and I went to Fat Fish in Pacific Beach on a Thursday evening . They had 2 men playing music in the outside patio area. We really enjoyed the food, service and the music. We will go again. Everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is outstanding, theSeanDined on 6/16/2013The menu is outstanding, the food was prepared perfectly and all at a very reasonable price. They also have a nice outside patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!CharniDined on 5/28/2013The food was so good we went back for lunch the next day. Great food, great atmosphere, kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperiencecandyDined on 5/27/2013We had lobster stuffed mushrooms, sea bass, and the banana fritter with ice cream for lunch on Memorial Day and enjoyed every bite. The service was quick and the food was very good. The weather was beautiful for outdoor patio seating and although it is located by the beach, where there was a lot of hustle and bustle, we were able to have good conversation. We enjoyed our time at Fat Fish Cantina Grill!Special Features:
- Tacos and margeritasCharlieDined on 5/18/2013Tried both the lobster and fish tacos - great choice! Excellent margaritas - wish our waitress had been more attentive though, we had finished our drinks before the food was served and she did not come by our table so that we could order more. Very nice patio (but it was almost too hot due to the extensive use of gas heaters)Special Features:
- Not the best seat in the houseBabyHonuDined on 5/18/2013Food and ambiance were good for a basic Mexican restaurant, and I enjoyed my time there - but only because the group I was with made the best of a bad seating arrangement and had fun anyway. We had a group of six - not too big, and there were plenty of six tops - with our Open Table reservation, however, they would only seat us at the table in between the restroom and kitchen entrances. We were on time for our reservation, but were denied any change in seating. So, if getting bumped from both directions isn't your thing, make sure you request a certain area (their patio is nice). Otherwise, they'll probably stick you in the back somewhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bustling, friendly neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2013a bustling, friendly neighborhood venue with a sophisticated menu of south of the border favorites, with creative variations. a real fun evening. try the fish burrito and wrapped sea bass!Special Features:
- Friendly StaffPumpkinescobarDined on 4/30/2013The is really friendly and attentive. The decor is new and updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your usual Mexican fareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013Unusual menu items. Enjoyed our dinner so much, went back next day for lunch. Decent pricesSpecial Features:
- The Fat Fish Cantina Grill’sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2013The Fat Fish Cantina Grill’s own parking lot made it easy to park in an otherwise busy area. Walking through the front entrance we sensed an inviting atmosphere and were immediately seated. Our initial contact with our server was slow and getting our first drink order took about 15 minutes on what looked like a not to busy evening. When the food arrived, it was very good. We started with chips and guacamole which was good, but plain tasting. We should have opted for the one that you mix at the table and add your choice of ingredients. We then both had the Lobster Bisque and agreed it could be the best we ever had and the Carne Asada Caesar Salad was also very good. Overall it was a very pleasant dining experience and we'll return.Special Features:
- Best Mexican food for local beachOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2013Went there for Easter Brunch. Fat Fish food is great. Very affordable. We are always seeking great Mexican food as we eat it probably 3-4 times a week. This restaurant changed hands from a previous Mexican restaurant. The food is much improved with a more tasty food menu. The staff/manager was friendly and the food excellent. Even their chips/salsa were the best chips I have had anywhere. I will definitely go back for dinner and lunch and tell my friends about it. They have parking in their lot if you get there early.Special Features:
- We were very pleasantly surprised.tncookinDined on 3/30/2013We were very pleasantly surprised. Live nearby and hadn't heard anything (pro or con) regarding this place, so we had just dismissed it as a "tourist trap". Not so at all. Food was delicious and unique, service was excellent. We will definitely be back and will be bringing our friends!Special Features:
- SizzlingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013We very much enjoyed our meal. The sizzling fajitas are great.Special Features:
- The appetizers and entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2013The appetizers and entrees were amazing! A member of our party comments that the Lobster bisque was the best she’d ever had; a statement that could be said about all the appetizers. However the ambiance left something to be desired. The restaurant was dimly lit, cold, and the décor was tacky. Between the booths and miserably uncomfortable chairs the restaurant resembled a dated TGI Friday’s.Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/1/2013Very nice place and good food. The service was nothing specialSpecial Features:
- Great Food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/28/2013The food was excellent. I ordered the taco plate- features steak, chicken and pork and you can make each taco accordingly. The cheese dip is delish as well as the Skinny Margarita I was really let down by the service. We waited 10 minutes for our drinks from the bar. Granted, the server did let us knwo they were backed up. So we ordered a second round ahead of time and had to wait ANOTHER 15 minutes. My plate came out 5 minutes before my friends. So I waited until he got his. The server did not apologize by any means. Further more I asked for a fork and had to wait 5 more minutes because she forgot. She obviously could tell I was upset and instead of trying to fix the problem or apologize- she ignored us for the rest of the mealSpecial Features:
- I would not recommend this1birdrockfoodieVIPDined on 2/23/2013I would not recommend this place for a dinner date or any special occasion, but I would go back for lunch or maybe on an evening out with "the girls". We didn't go in the bar- but it looked busy and our drinks at dinner were good.Special Features: