410 West Duke of Gloucester St
Williamsburg, VA 23185Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fatcanarywilliamsburg.com/
- Phone: 7572293333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Fat Canary
This high-energy bistro took over as Williamsburg's best restaurant as soon as it opened in 2004. The sophisticated but relaxed dining room sports a long bar down one side -- a favorite local watering hole -- and an open kitchen which uses fresh local and other ingredients for its creative American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Fat Canary - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Fat Canary reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (185)fit for foodies (180)romantic (107)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (102)hot spot (43)great for outdoor dining (32)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (19)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Colonial CacheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014Wow! Coming from the greater New York area, we have our share of great places. But this was special! Simple, yet sophisticated. Cool, yet classy. Start to finish, incrediblely well orchestrated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/19/2014The dishes I and my husband had were terrific (pork chop and garlic romaine salad). What I really wanted was the fish special (halibut), but at $40 I just could not justify it. The prices are VERY high, and although my meal was delicious, it's a big turn off for me and I don't expect to make another visit there due to that. Lots of great places in Williamsburg to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SPECIAL TREATHulsieDined on 10/18/2014We have returned to Fat Canary every time we are in Williamsburg for a William and Mary event or as we pass through Williamsburg on our way to OuterBanks. It never disappoints us. This time, our special waitress Tinkerbell aka Tink made it even more fun. As always, the food was fabulous. We were with 4 friends who live in Williamsburg and don't often get to the Fat Canary. We all loved our meals and had a wonderful time visiting and catching up. The staff was responsive and didn't rush us as we dawdled at the end, not really anxious to end the experience. Kudos! Many restaurants I have loved over the years lose their edge over time. The Fat Canary still has it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Really interesting menu selection. Our waitress was exceptionally pleasant. I would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Canary never disappoints.BobfromBethlehemDined on 10/15/2014We visit Williamsburg about once a year and we alway visit the Fat Canary. The staff is so friendly and helpful and the food is alway very good. I had the Pork Chop which was plentiful and full of flavor. My wife had seared scallops which were tender and tasty and a good size portion. I feel like Fat Canary is one of my "hometown" spots to dine. I recommend it to my circle of friends who also travel to Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat CanaryMazzDined on 10/15/2014My wife's pork chops and my lamb shanks were wonderfully done. The flourless chocolate mousse dessert was great.Special Features:
- Incredible food and wineSuzanneVIPDined on 10/14/2014We dined at Fat Canary with a large party (6) -- all of us wine drinkers and self-proclaimed foodies. The entire dining experience was wonderful. Fun and friendly waiter (sadly, I cannot remember his name) did a wonderful job, made great suggestions and helped ensure we had an overall fabulous evening. Will definitely put Fat Canary on the schedule next time we are in Williamsburg!Special Features:
- Perfectcer24Dined on 10/13/2014My husband and I dined here for our mini-moon, when they called to confirm our reservation they asked if we were coming for a special occasion. They made a special menu with our a congratulations to us as newlyweds and had the entire staff sign it; they also gave it to us to keep after our meal. The food was absolutely amazing and the whole experience was excellent. I highly recommend the Fat Canary!!Special Features:
- Still the bestredzin99VIPDined on 10/13/2014Great food, interesting menu, intriguing presentation, dedicated service....Fat Canary consistently delivers a fine dining experience!Special Features:
- Amazing food!!!sdiglDined on 10/12/2014Not first time @ Fat Canary, but the quality of their food offering amazes each time. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014The Canary is always an outstanding experience. We visit Colonial Williamsburg once or twice every year. We always plan our visit around our Canary reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occasional Visitor to Fat CanarylikegoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014Whenever we make a weekend getaway trip to Williamsburg, we make sure we reserve a table at the Fat Canary for dinner. The food is always wonderful, the atmosphere is just right for a romantic dinner for two or conversation with a small group for dinner, and the service is impeccable. The prices are moderate but not exorbitant and worth every penny for a memorable dining experience. I always recommend the Fat Canary to people I meet while in Williamsburg or those I know making a trip to the area. Make reservations ahead of time because, well, with food and service this good, they book up fast. That in itself should be an indication of the quality of the Fat Canary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKlsudDined on 10/10/2014Food is cooked to perfection. I always look forward to my annual shopping trip and dinner at the Fat Canary. Best meal all year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, unfussy, friendlyFoodisloveDined on 10/10/2014What a treat! We were greeted by name upon arrival, and handed a menu that had been specially printed with anniversary wishes, and signed by all the restaurant staff. The waitress, Paula, was attentive without hovering; knowledgeable about the dishes and the wine list; friendly without gushing. The food was very good: layers of flavor, using the freshest ingredients and cooked to perfection, but not fussy. We were the youngest people eating there that evening, but if you're looking for a party scene, you're probably looking elsewhere for your celebration! My husband and I enjoyed the Fat Canary very much, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion. We're looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Special AttentionSkylarsMomVIPDined on 10/9/2014Made a reservation and got a phone call asking if we were celebrating a special occasion. EVERYONE wished me a happy birthday and my menu was printed with my name and EVERYONE personally signed it. I happened to mention on the phone that I had food allergies ... this was reviewed with the chef, they called me back to make sure they were handling it correctly, and I spoke with the chef on the phone. One could not have asked for more special attention!!! My husband LOVED his food. On the expensive side, but for a special occasion definitely worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in all regards!Legal1Dined on 10/9/2014Dinner could not have been better! Outstanding hospitality and gracious service from first moment thru the door. Evening dinner specials wer off the charts....Grouper with crab topping, better than any had locally in Florida! Not a large venue, and virtually all the patrons seemed to genuinely be enjoying the moment. Has been some time since I've dined in Williamsburg, but Fat Canary tops the list, bar-none!!!Special Features:
- Unusual bad nightJackVIPDined on 10/9/2014Even a great restaurant has an off night and that was the case this evening at Fat Canary. On a 3 night visit to Williamsburg we cancelled previous dinner reservations to have a second meal here. FC had a bad night. My wife's lobster appetizer was tough, salty and chewy and her scallop entre was so salty that she couldn't eat it. My pork chop was also very salty and tough. Our server, Nicholas, did what he could to salvage the situation (free coffee and a dessert), but, the damage was done as our last evening in town was ruined.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealDukeVIPDined on 10/9/2014Over the last 4 years, we have had the pleasure of eating at Fat Canary over 20 times. Each and every time the food, service, and ambiance are fantastic. Would not go to Williamsburg without a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the travelJackVIPDined on 10/7/2014We travel many hours to visit Williamsburg and key to our scheduling is our reservation at the Fat Canary. My wife's appetizer, a fresh green salad with fabulous figs was awesome. Her beef tenderloin was perfect. My lamb shank was extraordinary. The entire experience was fantastic especially coming at the end of a 7 hour drive. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every waypat451Dined on 10/6/2014This was probably one of our top all time meals. The Fat Canary is a terrific restaurant that shouldn't be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryColeteDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I came to Williamsburg for our 3rd Anniversary and went to Fat Canary because of the wonderful reviews we read online. It meet our expectations and then some. The staff was exceptionally courteous/ kind. They even sat us 15 minutes early because we had arrived earlier than expected. They also gave us copy of the menu inscribed with our names for us to keep to remember the occasion. The wait staff were also wonderful. The drinks of water and tea were always full, and anytime a plate was finished it was whisked away. The food we expected to be exceptional and it was. Fresh ingredients combined in unexpected ways made it one of the best meals I've had in my adult life. I would highly recommend Fat Canary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!GabiDined on 10/4/2014Amazing experience for those looking for fine food. World class dishes!Special Features:
- Great as alwaystoodlesDined on 10/3/2014We treated friends here for dinner as we have done previously when we visit Williamsburg. It lived up to expectations and more - always excellent. My husband had the duck which he said was great and the other three entrees were equally well prepared and delicious. Salads were wonderful.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014My wife and I went to Fat Canary for our anniversary dinner, on a recommendation from a friend. Everything was excellent; food, service and environment. I would highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulWilmFTDined on 10/2/2014The food was amazing - but a little expensive. The wine list might be good for wine aficionados but it was a little intimidating for casual drinkers and made it hard to fine a glass. Our server was Tink and she was honestly the best server we have had at any restaurant ever. The only real complaint is that the restaurant is a little noisy. Overall highly recommended.Special Features:
- Loved itLuluVIPDined on 10/2/2014We were celebratingy husbands birthday. From the minute we walked through the door and were greeted like old friends, he was given a personalized menu signed by all the staff, to the wonderful waitress who took our picture we were delighted. Thank you Fat Canary I hope we can go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014we try to get to the Fat Canary once a year in October, great food and staffSpecial Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceDenverDined on 10/1/2014We went for my wife's birthday while visiting Williamsburg and found a real gem. The food was outstanding and so was the service. We enjoyed the fish special and the duck breast and the wonderful wine selection. We plan to return on our next visit to Williamsburg.Special Features:
- Good food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014Reletively small restaurant with slightly crowded seating. Reservation made weeks in advance, worst table in the place, directly adjacent to the open kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never. Disappoints!ooftieDined on 9/28/2014Fourth dinner here in last few years. Celebrated 36 anniversary this time. Everything was unrushed. Service was perfect. Menu is not huge but there are some very unique dishes without being "arty" & trendy. From appetizers, salads, to entrees everything was delicious. But make sure to leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerJohnKVIPDined on 9/28/2014I took my wife to the Fat Canary for her birthday hoping it would be special - and it was. Food was great, and service was top notch. We are traveling so we won't have an opportunity to eat there again, but certainaly would if we lived in Williamsburg.Special Features:
- Loved it!ScooterDined on 9/28/2014Recommended by our hotel and we couldn't have been happier. Both the food and service was great - a local find!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Williamsburg VAfoodguruVIPDined on 9/27/2014We went here because of the amazing reviews they got and it was all well deserved. Partly because our waitress, Tinkerbell (yep that's her name!), gave us Michelin star service with our outstanding meal and made us feel like royalty on our anniversary. She's been with the restaurant since the beginning and it shows in the way she explains the dishes. We highly recommend this restaurant if you visit Williamsburg, VA and you must ask to sit in her section if you want the ultimate experience. You will be thanking us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSammyDined on 9/25/2014We have been to the Fat Canary a couple of times and the food and service has always been great. The staff has made our anniversary very special! The staff all congratulated us and were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of vacationWorldWanderersDined on 9/23/2014Best meal of our 3 week US vacation. Friendly & knowledgeable service. Superb food and the best chocolate dessert we've ever had. Handy for Colonial Williamsburg. Highly Recommended.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our very favorite dining experience. We live in the Washington, D.C. area but travel to Williamsburg to visit our daughter at college. We are always pleased with the food and service and can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning3xDined on 9/19/2014We have been here twice in last month. Both times for special occasions with our son. Food is great. The hostess very pleasant and happy to see us. Service quick and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experienceFatCanaryDined on 9/19/2014Appetizer fricassee of rabbit...Yummo!! My wife had the free-range guinea fowl & I had the duck breast. Both were absolutely wonderful. Our waitress was knowledgeable about the menu, pleasant, clean & professional. Darcy you are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oasis of ConstancyChipDined on 9/18/2014My choice of dining whenever in Williamsburg. Intelligent conversation with the bartenders while enjoying a nicely poured libation, pleasant and knowledgable waitstaff, and food that never disappoints- why look anywhere else? There are several other solid choices in town and they only come to mind if I can't get a table at The Fat Canary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectGailDined on 9/17/2014You will not be sorry you tried this excellent restaurant. It's pricey but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.