410 West Duke of Gloucester St
Williamsburg, VA 23185Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fatcanarywilliamsburg.com/
- Phone: (757) 229-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Fat Canary
This high-energy bistro took over as Williamsburg's best restaurant as soon as it opened in 2004. The sophisticated but relaxed dining room sports a long bar down one side -- a favorite local watering hole -- and an open kitchen which uses fresh local and other ingredients for its creative American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Fat Canary - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Fat Canary reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (187)special occasion (181)romantic (104)notable wine list (100)neighborhood gem (96)hot spot (49)great for outdoor dining (36)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (17)late-night find (9)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/17/2014We visit Fat Canary whenever our travels take us to Williamsburg, and it never disappoints. Great food, nicely prepared and presented, good sized portions. It can get loud as tables are close together, but tune out your neighbors and enjoy the fare. Good location in downtown near the historic district. Treat yourself to a meal here. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Have been to the Fat Canary at leat six (6) times and have enjoyed ourselves each time. They change the menu with the seasons which allows for diversification and variety. It is sometimes challanging to make a choice, although their menu in not that populated. Excellent Wine selection with respectable pricing. Will definately visit the Fat Canary in the future. Thank you for an enjoyable evening. MartyGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbDined on 11/13/2014great food and service, you will not be disapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This canary can really singmatineeDined on 11/11/2014We had heard Fat Canary was one of the best in Williamsburg. It is certainly one of the best I've been to. Wonderful ambiance--casual but elegant. Our server was conscientious and very warm. It seems this place caters more to locals than tourists and that just adds to the charm. I had excellent fried oysters with a tangy sauce and a crisp batter, followed by a lamb shank that was perfectly cooked. Two minor nibbles--the food came out a bit too hot (maybe under the warming lamps too long) and there was a bit too much sauce on the lamb for my taste. We are thinking of moving to Williamsburg for retirement and this will clearly be our local hangout if we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal of our triptravelqueenDined on 11/10/2014Our experience at fat canary was wonderful. The butternut squash soup was delicious, along with everything else. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. We sat at a cozy booth,which enhanced the experience. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2014Delicious food and great service! I would recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 11/9/2014Delightful dinner here on Sunday evening. The chef is one of the most creative in the area. Everything from the kitchen is delicious and offers a little creative twist involving food combinations, seasonings, etc. The dessert chef has created toasted marshmallow ice cream which is also unusual and delicious. I was a little reluctant to order it but after tasting it my only concern is that they willl not have it every time I return. This restaurant is truly a gem.
- Great Food, Great WinesternanDined on 11/4/2014Or favorite Williamsburg restaurant for special occasions and to entertain guests. Always dependably great food, service and wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in WilliamsburgprojectgoboyVIPDined on 11/4/2014My wife and I dine here 2-3 times a year. Because of that, price is not a factor. The only thing you need to think about while dining here is how perfectly produced each course will be, because they are. Their fish special/creation of the day on the chalk board is really all you need to order here to get a great experience, it's clockwork good and always prepared differently. This time it was Grouper with potatoes, brussels, sausage, shrimp and mushrooms. Their salads are great, as well as the appetizers - particularly the Rabbit and Lobster pasta choices. You can also purchase any wine from the wine cellar downstairs and have it with dinner for a corkage fee of $10. There are a few gems down there, so be sure to check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXcellent SeafoodLuluVIPDined on 11/2/2014Our table had the scallops, which were perfectly prepared, plus one diner took the halibut special--pricey but excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsTexasflyerDined on 11/2/2014My wife and friends have dined here a number of times and it has always been a great night out. Food, wine and cocktails are always super. On this occasion we hosted another couple from New Jersey who are foodies and wine lovers. The night started with the fabulous Lynn greeting and seating us. Our Server, Nick, was perfect; never rushing us but always there when we needed him. And ended with a visit from Tommy, the executive Chef. All the food was outstanding. We had a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerDiningWilsonsDined on 11/2/2014This was an absolute lovely dinner outing. The food was delicious; and the choices all sounded superb. Our waiter very attentive and all the staff made our anniversary dinner special, starting with our personalized menu. So nice...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat CanaryshangrilaDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit and the food was all and more than we expected in quality and taste. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu, Will definitely come back on our next stay in Williamsburg.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationJeanDined on 11/1/2014We were travelling in the area from England and needed a restaurant to celebrate my husbands 70th birthday. Booking ahead was easy and a reminder just before meant that I was assured a table. The food was excellent and all the staff very responsive. Our waiter was good - attentive when needed, but always in the background. Would certainly recommend this restaurant and would not consider it over expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014First trip was to bring my husband after a 9 month deployment. Best dinner choice we could have made! It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryHiSeeDined on 10/31/2014Thank you for always having great food and great service. Always, your restaurant is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or just to have a great dinner with friends.Special Features:
- little $$$johnnyboyDined on 10/31/2014Food was great service was great----pricing not so great. Pricing has always been a little over the top. We have been going to the Fat Canary since it has opened, but not as much as other restaurants in Williamsburg. It is because of the pricing. Still the food and service are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial Williamsburg proximitySaradeeDined on 10/31/2014This was a lovely restaurant within very close proximity of the Colonial Williamsburg historic area. The food was very good, but the wine list was not very good. The tables were a little close together for our liking. Our waiter was good, but not as attentive as we would have liked. Maybe they were a little short staffed? My soda was taken away for a refill but never returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Great restaurant, that's not in many of the guide books. Enjoyed the food, ambiance and service. Our waitress was attentive, humorous and efficient. The salads were very fresh, great presentation. Our group had scallops, salmon and duck, all were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Good food but quite pricey.60somethingDined on 10/29/2014Menu is limited so you have to check it out in advance to see if what is on the menu suits your taste. You're going to pay a lot, so you want something you will enjoy. Night we were there with another couple restaurant was pretty noisy. Hard to have quiet conversation. On the other hand, our server was polite, friendly, and quite attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Williamsburg BirthdaytripchairmanDined on 10/28/2014My Wife took me to the Fat Canary as the penultimate part of a 3 day birthday observance. They provided excellent reception, drinks and menu choices. I thought it was an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat CanarysimplebutexcitingDined on 10/27/2014Nice place, a little noisy and pricey. Definitely not romantic or cozy. Very upscale restaurant. I would suggest if you are not familiar with the dishes ask for a sample or a picture. If first time ask what they recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiancemontrealcanuckDined on 10/27/2014good restaurant and great atmosphere. my duck was pink,a little more cooked than I would have liked .it is cooked sous-vide and then seared so difficult to serve rare. also had a little bag made of something or other with dried out confit inside which was actually unnessary for the plate.the other accompaniments were good.my wife's acallops were excellent as were the openersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Place To BeDigiDinerDined on 10/27/2014Everything about our evening here was perfect, from the greeting at the door to the service to the wonderful food. While the tables were all filled, The noisiness just made it seem to be "where it was happening."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite destination restaurantronHDined on 10/27/2014Love to come here for a great dinner, and while I am in the area there is Williamsburg.Great location, Virginia wines, interesting menu without being too eclecticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Choice in WilliamstownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014We were visiting from Boston and were intrigued by the excellent reviews on both Open Table and Trip Advisor, all justified and more. The menu was a treat, so many interesting choices and flavor combinations, it was hard to choose. The meal was at such a high level, fresh and local ingredients, beautiful presentation, wonderful service, all in all a hard to beat experience, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!crabloverDined on 10/25/2014Food, drinks and service were superb! We had an excellent meal to celebrate a getaway weekend for two. Highly recommend the Fat Canary!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerGoodOleSteveDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I went here for our 26th wedding anniversary. It was cozy, romantic, and the service was outstanding. The best feature was, of course, the food. Prepared perfectly and served attractively, the meals were spot on and memorable.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysRobertDined on 10/24/2014Excellent food, wine, and service. Always a favorite of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in WilliamsburgCarolVIPDined on 10/23/2014Everything was outstanding even down to granting our request for a cozy table! We are used to gourmet restaurants in Washington DC and the Fat Canary tops them all! We live in Williamsburg now and this will become a regular for us! Than you to Darcy our server and all who make up your wonderful staff! A fantastic evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in WilliamsburgC1rayDined on 10/23/2014It was a memorable occasion, with excellent food, service and atmosphere. Not cheap, but no more expensive than restaurants of this caliber. Everyone was friendly and attentive. I couldn't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014I have dined here a few times and was able to bring my family and my grandson who just turned one years old. The staff were unbelievable and the foot was very very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live up to all the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014the two salads we had were beyond belief. Entrees were large portions, exquisitely prepared. The price was expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Superior service, excellent foodZoraDined on 10/20/2014Tried Fat Canary based on recommendations of friends. The online reservation process was easy and smooth. The restaurant called me within minutes to confirm. The restaurant decor was appealing, upscale and comfortable. The service was superior from the time we walked in the door. Used dinnerware and silverware were promptly removed and replaced with clean utensils. The cauliflower soup with scallops was superb, as was the chocolate cake to end the meal. Our server was knowledgeable and cheerfully answered our menu questions with a detailed understanding of the offerings. The only downside was the overly salted side dish. I know this has been a complaint of others. Diners can add salt, but we sure can't remove it. Will we return? No doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial CacheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014Wow! Coming from the greater New York area, we have our share of great places. But this was special! Simple, yet sophisticated. Cool, yet classy. Start to finish, incrediblely well orchestrated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very priceyDonnaSueDined on 10/19/2014The dishes I and my husband had were terrific (pork chop and garlic romaine salad). What I really wanted was the fish special (halibut), but at $40 I just could not justify it. The prices are VERY high, and although my meal was delicious, it's a big turn off for me and I don't expect to make another visit there due to that. Lots of great places in Williamsburg to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SPECIAL TREATHulsieDined on 10/18/2014We have returned to Fat Canary every time we are in Williamsburg for a William and Mary event or as we pass through Williamsburg on our way to OuterBanks. It never disappoints us. This time, our special waitress Tinkerbell aka Tink made it even more fun. As always, the food was fabulous. We were with 4 friends who live in Williamsburg and don't often get to the Fat Canary. We all loved our meals and had a wonderful time visiting and catching up. The staff was responsive and didn't rush us as we dawdled at the end, not really anxious to end the experience. Kudos! Many restaurants I have loved over the years lose their edge over time. The Fat Canary still has it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Really interesting menu selection. Our waitress was exceptionally pleasant. I would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Canary never disappoints.BobfromBethlehemDined on 10/15/2014We visit Williamsburg about once a year and we alway visit the Fat Canary. The staff is so friendly and helpful and the food is alway very good. I had the Pork Chop which was plentiful and full of flavor. My wife had seared scallops which were tender and tasty and a good size portion. I feel like Fat Canary is one of my "hometown" spots to dine. I recommend it to my circle of friends who also travel to Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat CanaryMazzDined on 10/15/2014My wife's pork chops and my lamb shanks were wonderfully done. The flourless chocolate mousse dessert was great.Special Features: