410 West Duke of Gloucester St
Williamsburg, VA 23185Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fatcanarywilliamsburg.com/
- Phone: 7572293333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Fat Canary
This high-energy bistro took over as Williamsburg's best restaurant as soon as it opened in 2004. The sophisticated but relaxed dining room sports a long bar down one side -- a favorite local watering hole -- and an open kitchen which uses fresh local and other ingredients for its creative American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Fat Canary - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Fat Canary reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (184)fit for foodies (163)romantic (104)notable wine list (91)neighborhood gem (88)hot spot (34)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (22)good for groups (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- SNC1Dined on 9/14/2014The food, decor and service are outstanding, always a memorable meal. From appetizer to dessert it's a wonderful experience. My only criticism is the noise level is high, a little too high for easy conversation.Special Features:
- Small quaint restaurantTravelgemsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Small quaint restaurant in the center of Williamsburg. Food was excellent though the restaurant was very noisy... Not that anything could be done to avoid this. A definite go to in the citySpecial Features:
- Special OccasiondiningoutDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our anniversary and birthdays there. This is the second time we have been to this restaurant since we live out of state. The food was outstanding. One of the best meals we have ever had anywhere in the USA. This restaurant will be on our "must do" list whenever we are in the area. It's a fabulous place and the chefs are magnificent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not as good as beforefoodieintheburgDined on 9/12/2014I had never had duck and thought this was the time to try it. It was too done, rubbery and the skin which I thought was to be crisy was chewy and not flavorful. The "beggars purse" of duck confit was the best part. My friend had lamb shank and all that went with it was tremendous. We had cocktails. I have never had a better green apple martini than at the Fat Canary. I have been other places and has weak or sweet, but the Fat Canary makes them sweet tart and always crisp and cold. Friend had a vodka tonic and asked for a specific vodka, the new waitress said she would ask but did not return so we are not sure what vodka he received. We barely got our wine ordered in time to accomany dinner. Lovely dinner but not as special as other times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvHawaiiDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant came highly recommended. We asked several different people (concierge, restaurant servers, store clerks, etc) to recommend a really really good restaurant & Fat Canary came up repeatedly. The Manakintowne Greens salad was delicious. The Grilled King Salmon was cooked perfectly. The Grilled Prime Beef Tenderloin was mouth watering & melted in my mouth. Delicious. For dessert, the crepes were delicious. Wine excellent. Our server, Patrick, made our experience a very pleasant one.Special Features:
- Would definitely recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014My husband and I planned a 4 day getaway without the kids in Williamsburg, Va. Dinner at the Fat Canary was one of the highlights. It was very nice! I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is happiness in my mouthEye4BeautyDined on 9/11/2014...is what my daughter had to say about her pork chop dinner, and those who had a taste had to agree. The rock fish special was not as remarkable, and so not a good value. The miso mushroom soup was Feast for eyes as well as tongue, and there was none leftover of the chocolate pyramid and macadamia nut pie with pineapple brûlée. Our server met our need to have our dessert quickly in order to attend another event on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood fit for foodieschitowngirlDined on 9/10/2014The service was wonderful and the food rivaled many fine dining restaurants I have been to. A little known secret is that the restaurant is willing to half portions of salads, so that you can enjoy a starter and your main without feeling stuffed. The Rockfish seafood special was phenomenal with the f l aver full broth, earthy mushrooms and romesco. Great dinner and friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014Food here is excellent. The presentations reflect excellent creativity. Service is very personable and also excellent. This occasion was a birthday celebration for my husband and we received a menu signed by all of the staff, wishing him a happy birthday. I had not seen this done in other restaurants but I thought it was a great idea for just a little personal touch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is where the crowd goes!MikeDined on 9/6/2014You want cool, you want hip, you want class and you want a non-tourist meal in the middle of tourist ground zero - then the Fat Canary is your place. Having been a long time visitor to Williamsburg as well as having gone to school there for several years, I can say that the Fat Canary is a definite must for anyone who takes their meal times serious. The food was prepared perfectly, great presentation, great bar, and fantastic wine list. The Fat Canary is now the place to eat and be seen in the historical downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffDined on 9/6/2014I have eaten here several times over the years and the food and service are always outstanding. I highly recommend the Fat Canary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014what a great surprise. service was great and food was better. even the deserts, which are very boring in this area, were tasty and original.Special Features:
- Fat Canary is a winner!silverDined on 9/5/2014My third dinner provided yet again an excellent meal and service. Reservations honored on very busy evening. I was immediately taken to my table; although my dinner companion was running late due to rain and unfamiliarity with parking. The restaurant is on a pedestrian only street and there is no option for valet parking. I have learned to ask for a table away from the open kitchen to avoid the noise and hubbub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Canary is "Best in Tidewater"RLCinVAVIPDined on 9/3/2014Dinner was superb, it always is. Love the appetizer/salad with mozzarella and ham, and the ribs. In the mains, the pork chop was divine. Tink is our favorite waitress because she knows the ropes and has always been sweet as can be. She put me onto the wonderful Macadamia Nut Pie. We are regulars even though we live 3 hours away in Northern VA. We have family down there so we try to stop in. You cannot miss with this place, we've been going there for a long time, it's "simply the best, better than all the rest" in the Hampton Roads and Tidewater area, and would still command our attention in the restaurant-rich Northern VA area.Special Features:
- Best thing I ever ateLookin4gr8foodDined on 9/1/2014The entire meal was outstanding but the Mozzarella, ham, tomato, pesto, & balsamic appetizer may have been the most delicious thing I ever ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the best!lovevaDined on 9/1/2014Our dinner was the best we have had in ages. It is definitely the best place to dine in Williamsburg. The lobster fettuccine appetizer was outstanding. I would love to have it everyday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resplendent Girl's Weekend DinnerSarahDined on 8/31/2014I have been to your restaurant serveral times for my Anniversary with my husband, but on this visit I came with my best friend, as we were in Williamsburg for a girl's weekend. We had an amazing time. The food was so delicious, the service was top notch. They were very attentive, but non abtrusive. We called them ninja's because your water glass would be full, but we didn't remember seeing them do it. The waiter we had was very knowledgeable in regard to the wine list, and recommended wine for each of us. We are both foodies, and we savored every bite, from the appetizer, to the salad, to the main course, and finally the dessert. I would highly recommend this restaurant, and it is one of my favorite splurges!Special Features:
- Perfect eveningtravelerDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday and had the best meal we have had in a year! Service was excellent and the meal was delicious. It is not inexpensive but if you want a terrific meal with fresh ingredients and perfect service, eat at The Fat Canary. TravelerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has to be the best in WilliamsburgGoodeater1Dined on 8/30/2014This was second visit and it did not disappoint. The food and service was fabulous. We will never visit Williamsburg again and not eat here. Yes, it is that good.y!!Special Features:
- Top notchJA14Dined on 8/28/2014Wonderful food and friendly, professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Fat CanaryFoodieDined on 8/28/2014Fantastic food, wonderful wine, super service. Paula helped pair a wonderful wine with our food. Everything was great and they were very helpful with a nut allergy, taking off nuts, serving on side or letting us know which dishes couldn't be change (dessert). Recommend for everyone that enjoys a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnerhjcook1Dined on 8/26/2014Great food and location for that special evening, one of our favorite spots in Williamsburg.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantwllsburgresDined on 8/26/2014Pork chop was one of the best I have ever eaten. The rest of the food was great, although one person in my party got steak and that was so so. The service was fantastic and it is in a great part of town. Prices are a little on the high side, ie: with salad you are at $50 a head. Probably the best fine dining restaurant in Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsGBphotoDined on 8/24/2014Second time going to the Fat Canary for a birthday. The staff signs your menu. The food is incredible. Cooked to perfection and uses more unique ingredients. I had rabbit and duck.Special Features:
- DelightfuldoodleDined on 8/24/2014We were so happy to find a restaurant of this caliber within a block of a tourist destination. Our server was exceptionally professional and friendly. The food was novel and delicious. We had the tomato mozzarella appetizer - divine, the duck breast - good (it came with a side of comfit in puffed pastry that was delectable), the pork chop -- good, the asparagus salad with duck prosciutto and duck egg was SPECTACULAR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best part of the day.Hokietom1Dined on 8/23/2014The food excellent! The service outstanding. My favorite Williamsburg restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Delicious food! Cooked to perfection. Wonderful, friendly, knowledgable staff.Special Features:
- Memorable DinnerUKFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014Unable to make our original reservation time, the staff were understanding and accommodating. They seated us at a table in an earlier time slot and did everything they could to ensure that we would be able to savour each course and still finish dinner in time without feeling rushed. Our waitress was friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and wine list, and very helpful in our selection. The dinner was excellent in every respect and much enjoyed by all including my daughter, a freshman at college, who had been anxious about missing out on orientation weekend events. The Fat Canary is certainly one of the local highlights. We look forward to having dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptionalmwagnerwoodshopDined on 8/22/2014We travel to Williamsburg about twice a year and this is always at the top of our list to visit. The food and service are always outstanding. I get the Salmon dish and my husband the Pork and we are never disappointed. The appetizers are all amazing but particularly the homemade mozzarella dish. If you travel to Williamsburg, make sure you have at least one meal here!Special Features:
- AmazingAJCNDined on 8/21/2014Rockfish special was perfectly prepared. Lobster app is a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysNannyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Fat Canary is on our must-do dining list when we visit Williamsburg. Our server was excellent...made a spot-on wine recommendation and was efficient and personable, without being intrusive. Notable dishes (ones that produced the most ahs of ecstasy at our table) were the mozzarella appetizer, ribs appetizer, cold cucumber soup, and chocolate mousse cake dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The corn soup special was truly remarkable. The rest of the evening was well worth all the effort. The staff did a superb job. Reserve early, they are in demand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant, perfect service!AlannaDined on 8/19/2014"Hands down" among the "best" in town this "no-holds-barred" New American creations served in portions "fit for a foodie"; "wonderful wines", "fantastic" service and a "sophisticated" setting make it "worth every penny for any occasion"! Tom LandSpecial Features:
- Fat CanaryGermangourmetDined on 8/15/2014We have eaten at Fat Canary a number of times, each time when I came to visit my son in Williamsburg. Each time the food has been superb and imaginative. I have always admired the three cooks in the open kitchen who turn out superlative food for a usually sold out restaurant. Incidentally this assessment comes from a European gourmet with a large Michelin star collection. The only drawback is that the restaurant is noisy and it is difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Williamsburg's Finest!!TSpazDined on 8/15/2014I have been coming to The Fat Canary for years... The food is excellent! Great atmosphere! Great customer service... Just love it! Best in Williamsburg!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrifically delicious!TheRingerDined on 8/12/2014We made a reservation for 9:30 on a Tuesday evening, and were pleased to see the restaurant still full of patrons when we arrived, since that's often an indicator of a great spot to eat. And we were not disappointed! The food is excellent; the small menu shows imagination, with some local and unusual ingredients. Our meals were expertly prepared, and we savored every bite. Our server was super friendly, knew the menu, and was perfectly attentive without ever being obtrusive. Having been a waiter, I appreciate good service, and was especially pleased when she checked to be sure our meals were ok after we'd tried our first bites, rather than 20 minutes later. Fat Canary is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives Up to It's Reputation.NaptownDinerDined on 8/12/2014The menu is relatively short and features creative dishes and fresh seasonal ingredients. Everything we ordered was delicious. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu. One of the diners in our party is vegetarian and while the menu did not offer a vegetarian entrée, the kitchen prepared a special dish for her. Just what one would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. The service is very attentive without being obtrusive. A delightful alternative to the traditional Colonial Williamsburg eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ckperaltaDined on 8/10/2014Food was really good. My wife and I enjoyed it. Would go back there again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Southern Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014I have been waiting for over 8 years to go to this restaurant and it was worth the wait. From the food, to the service, to the ambiance, everything was awesome. I hope that it will not be another 8 years before I go again!Special Features:
- Great food; beer is a mystery herelhmiVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food is creative, delicious, first rate. Super in every way! But the draft beer offerings are just plain confused: the bar does not seem to be able to distinguish high alpha acid brews from mash tuns or wort chillers. If you enjoy beer with food, stick to the bottled options and have the server bring the bottle to the table to be sure you get the style of beer that you really want.