Fat Belly's Grill and Bar
2 Bow St.
Portsmouth, NH 03842Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fat Belly's Grill and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fatbellysgrillandbar.com/
- Phone: 6036104227
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Andrew Witney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Fat Belly's Grill and Bar
Fat Belly's is located in the heart of Historic Downtown Portsmouth. We feature two floors, with two unique atmosphere's. The Upstairs Lounge is a contemporary cocktail lounge featuring New Hampshire's only Ice Bar. Downstairs is a casual dining atmosphere with bar. Our menu is served to patrons on both floors. The Grill features the best burger in town, sweet potato fries, and other delicious American food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fat Belly's Grill and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We went to Portsmouth with three teenagers. Food options and affordability was a key. We found it in Fat Belly's. The service and the quality of food was great. We would certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterDined on 6/8/2014Lobster roll way too much pepper. Fries way over done.Special Features:
- horribleSaltDined on 6/7/2014Do not go here. it is dirty, loud and the food is not very good. Me and my boyfriend were on a weekend vacation and choose this place based on good reviews. It is a small hole in the wall, which would be fine but it is not clean the service is confusing to say the least and when the food did come it was not good. I ordered a burger which was over cooked and greasy and the fries were limp and tasted like old oil. There appeared to be a club upstairs which was loud and distracting.
- Greasy (dirty) spoonjewelatdinnerDined on 5/31/2014Knowing Portsmouth to be a foodie's paradise, we looked up a yummy place to eat on Open Table. Boy were we disappointed by Fat Belly's. The ambience was loud and the place dirty and reminded me of a run-down Applebees. The chicken sandwich I ordered, while edible, was nothing special. My husband's pulled pork sandwich was just okay. Both my sweet potato fries and his regular fries were greasy, limp and cold -- and had the taste of old oil. Nothing worse! Next time we'll just walk around until we find a good place on our own!
- Good EatsRaider65Dined on 5/2/2014We went on a Friday night and got a table right away. Awesome service great food and friendly staff. I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Fat Belly's Grill and Bar reviews archive.
- Great pub!KarenDined on 4/5/2014Fat Belly's has a great location, really good pub food, and friendly bartenders. It is crowded but cozy. We had pretty poor service on this visit but that is not the norm.Special Features:
- Good burger jointAnnODined on 3/30/2014The burgers were fine, lots of options and cooked to order, no one complained, but when you enter the restaurant you are greated with cleaning supplies stacked up on the side. Floors weren't exactly spotless but you kind of got the feeling they intended to create that "atmosphere". Regular fries are skinny, sweet potato fries an option - both actually crispy - hard to do. I'd say there are better places but we had a group and they took reservations on this system, so that was what we needed.
- Great comfort food!KimberleyTVIPDined on 3/1/2014The potato skins and macaroni and cheese with kielbasa were amazing!
- FoodSrmCDined on 2/28/2014I ordered the local grass fed burger and it was delicious. The beers were good too. We also enjoy the music. And best of all we were able to reserve a table online a little before getting there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backKitKDined on 12/6/2013The food was very good and it will definitely go back. I LOVE that they take reservations for small groups, but it is a mystery as to why they do not recognize the Open Table reserv so that proper credit is given. Make sure they acknowledge it when you go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and food. VeryOcDinerDined on 10/26/2013Great location and food. Very busy and friendly staff. Perfect rest stop while exploring Portsmouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible burgers and beersjaimieoDined on 10/19/2013They seems to specialize in burgers and cajun seasoning on the burgers. And they are amazing. I had he honey glaze cajun burger and it was perfect! Also great seasonal beer selection!! If going on a popular night like Fri or Sat I do recommend making a reservation because event though it is not super fancy, we never would have gotten in! Overall great food, drink, and price! Also, the fried pickles are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Belly's lives up to their name!BottomfeederDined on 10/6/2013The food was delicious and the portions were huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, energentic, fantasticTimothyDined on 8/3/2013Fun, energentic, fantastic food, great location, friendly and accomodating staff! Our family of four, including an infant sat next to a bachelorette party and both tables had a great time!Special Features:
- Great Ambiance and AffordableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013In a town where there are many dining options, Fat Belly's offers a reasonably priced menu, great ambiance and plenty of fun. Just the ticket when not looking for white tablecloths and haute elegance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat Bellies = Stuffed BelliesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2013I was a little concerned when the place was empty a little after noon on a Tuesday. I definitely got that, "this is a bar, not a grill" feeling. However, the selection was better than standard bar fare and everything was very good. My only complaint was that my burger was well done instead of medium. Fortunately it was still moist. Also, business was bustling by the time we left.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Times!MommaDined on 6/8/2013We had a group of 7. Everyone found something to eat, even the picky 11 year old! Will definitely go again when I'm back in Maine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a pre-gameOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013Great place for a pre-game dinner or to watch a game. Good app and burger selections and the pulled pork is really really good!
- The service was excellent!CcapozziDined on 12/1/2012The service was excellent! We enjoyed it soo much for dinner on Saturday night that we went back for a late lunch Sunday afternoon!Special Features:
- A great find for first-timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012A great find for first-time dining. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- not my favorite place....maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012not my favorite place....maybe if I had ordered a burger it would have been better. My sandwich bun was so soggy I couldn't eat it- and ruined my appetite.
- This is a fun place and theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2012This is a fun place and the burgers are great!!!!! A little loud, but not unbearable. A great place to get together with friends for a good night out.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I go thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012My boyfriend and I go there for the fried green beans and I love the french-dip, but this time the sandwich was VERY dry and lacked flavor. Haven't given up on Fat Belly's just yet, but was disappointed this time around.Special Features:
- Love that grilled cheese!JANDKVIPDined on 6/15/2012Try the grilled cheese with lobster and tomato. Yummy!Special Features:
- Great bar food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Great bar food and drinks list. Had big screen TVs on the walls of the dining room, the only problem was there were poles in the way and it was difficult to see around them.Special Features:
- Makin' "fat bellies" at Fat Belly'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012Got the boneless chicken with Chernobyl Sauce and loaded nachos for apps. Chicken was FANTASTIC!! Hot as heck, but VERY tasty too if you stick with it for more than a bite. Not a fan of full hot - no flavor. This choice was right on the money!! And the nachos - wait...did I say "loaded"? I meant LOADED!! I also got the Black and Blue burger. It was really pretty simple, but the burger itself was very tasty & cooked perfectly. I added my own little twist by cutting back on some of the bleu cheese and slapping on the leftover Chernobyl sauce. Whamma-jamma!! I can't remember what the rest of my party had for their main courses, but I know we were all in agreement that we picked a great place to eat.Special Features:
- NO Candlelight Dinner?!DougDined on 2/14/2012Fat Belly's is convienently located in downtown Portsmouth. Finding it on Open Table and not being from the area I mistakenly thought it would have more of a "classy"setting. It was a typical sports bar type place. Fine for lunch but not a Valentines day setting. Nothing wrong with the experience there just not restaurant setting. It is just a sports bar.Special Features:
- It was good, a lot on theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/10/2011It was good, a lot on the menu. Very loud. It was in the middle of Portsmouth and you could watch the people go by, but... don't think we'd go back. It was just okay.Special Features:
- With five of us visiting ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/2011With five of us visiting our college daughter, we were looking for good, inexpensive food and found it. We were happy to fine a friendly staff, broad menu and good drinks. Having walked past it a few times on previous trips we were not surprised to find it loud and crowed - and that was just fine with us. The only disapointing note - we had hoped to find more seafood options in a port city. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The food was good, the serviceRaider65Dined on 11/25/2011The food was good, the service was good. We did not wait long for our food. Wehad great time and would go againSpecial Features:
- Restaurant was okay. UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2011Restaurant was okay. Unhappy overall due to the fact that I did not get credit from them for eating there. Classified me as a no show when I specifically stated I had Open Table reservations. Burger was okay.
- At first service was not thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2011At first service was not that great. They would not let me get a baked potato because there was no "button" for it on the computer when ordering a sandwich. Waitress made it seem impossible. Ridiculous in this day and age when there are so many retaurants to choose from you should make sure customer gets what they want. i even said i'd pay extra. they finally made it work after i said it was the reason i came because I was running a marathon the next day. Waitress ultimately turned out to be very nice after a rocky start and was very attentive afterwards. Food was just ok.
- The restaurant was very smallFoodieHBVIPDined on 8/12/2011The restaurant was very small and more of a bar than a restaurant. Our service was very slow with the two adult meals coming out before the 2 kids meals by about 10 minutes. The server apologized and ended up covering our drink round which was nice, this represents the reason why I gave the service 2 stars instead of one. The burgers were great, but after walking around the area, I am not sure this would be my first choice for dinner.
- Went there on a Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2011Went there on a Saturday night and the place was packed, but was still able to get a great table and had prompt service the entire time. The food was fairly basic, nothing exotic, but nevertheless it all looked/tasted great, with good portions. Definately will be back in the future.Special Features:
- Always go to fat belly's whenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2011Always go to fat belly's when I am in portsmouth. Great food. Great wait staff, and truly a good place to sit and enjoy your beer.Special Features:
- Best BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/29/2011We had to get past the name of the restaurant. Once we did that, we were delighted to have decided to dine there. The wait staff was friendly and efficient and fun. The food was excellent. It was a family night with burgers and fries for all - something we don't do too often in our health-conscious style, but when we do, we want a place like Fat Belly's. Everyone was well fed and we all enjoyed our burgers.Special Features:
- I was amazed how fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2011I was amazed how fantastic the service was. I had to change my number from 8 to 11 at the last minute and they made it happen quickly and painlessly. Dara and Stefany were simply fantastic. I would highly recomend Fat Bellys to anyoneSpecial Features:
- It did not matter, but I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2011It did not matter, but I had made a reservation on-line, received a confirmation #, but when we arrived, they did not have it. Lucky the bar wasn't as busy as they might have been on Cinco de Mayo and had the table space for us. You should check your on-line table reservation option.Special Features:
- ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2011I had a reservation for 7:00 PM, did not get seated until 7:35 PM.Special Features:
- Excellent food. WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2011Excellent food. Wonderful atmosphere. Even though I made reservations, the tables still had to be set up while I waited.Special Features: