331 Bloomfield Ave.
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fascinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9732330350x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ryan DePersio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Fascino
Fascino, the brainchild of celebrity Chef Ryan DePersio and his family, is a study in modern Italian food, coined "Italian without borders." Ryan's unique approach is apparent, showcasing his years with world renowned chefs Jean Georges Vongrichten and David Bouley. Achieving a Zagat food rating of 26, it states, a "consistent" "favorite" for its "elegant", "innovative" interpretations of "traditional" dishes (and his mom's "alluring" desserts). Eleven years and going strong, Fascino has been renovated, completely redecorated with a fresh new look, and has a newly expanded menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Fascino - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Fascino reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)special occasion (44)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (12)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Still don't understand all the hypeSandyBVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is my third time dining at Fascino and I still don't understand all the hype for this restaurant. The ambiance is definitely upscale and the service was attentive without being overwhelming. BUT, I still don't understand all the accolades for the food. We enjoyed the polenta fries, an unusual take on the old fav. But the entrees were just so-so. My gnocchi arrived cool; not hot, not cold. The cavatelli was hard; not al dente, hard. The bronzino was good but the greens upon which it was plated were so salty that they were inedible. The halibut was the hit of the entrees. We live in an area in which great even extraordinary Italian food is everywhere, even the local "mom & pop" places. I gave Fascino three tries.Special Features:
- UnimpressedUnimpressedDined on 8/22/2014this place gets too many accolades. have no idea why as my fish lacked salt salt salt. it was so bland (and for a 39 dollar entree, it should have some seasoning). the waiter seemed in a rush and annoyed that we did not order any appetizers. i have no idea why anyone raves about this place. i'm just hoping i went on a completely off day.
- Great find in MontclairPrincipessaDined on 8/22/2014I googled restaurants in Montclair near the Wellmont Theater since we were seeing a show there and found Fascino. The restaurant is beautifully decorated. Even though we didn't realize it was a BYOB, our waiter told us if we selected a wine from their wine list, the liquor store nearby would deliver it to our table. What a nice amenity that was! We all had appetizers which were delicious and two of us had the gnocchi which was light and very tasty. My husband had ordered an appetizer portion of the cavatelli which was so good, he ordered a second. For dessert we all ordered a gelato and I appreciated being able to order one scoop at a reasonable $2. We will definitely be back. Thank you Google!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly a standoutSUPERIORDined on 8/21/2014inventive but without being pretentiously so and without being weird. food is cooked to perfection. the best prepared halibut I have had in my life. Wonderful and varied vegetarian options _ not just pasta but a full tasting menu with lots of options i am looking forward to my next visitSpecial Features:
- Great Food. Definitely will go backDinerRCDined on 8/20/2014I went here with my girlfriend for her birthday. Its BYOB and they have an affiliation with a local liquor store that will deliver right to your table. We had oysters, ravioli appetizer, and different fish entrees (she had halibut and I had some Australian fish filet), and blueberry pudding cake. We both thought everything was delicious. To be super critical, I probably wouldn't get the Australian fish again, not that it wasn't good, but it was a little bland and too herb like for me. The blueberry pudding cake was so good. Definitely will go backSpecial Features:
- Always a Pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014A BYOB with a twist: A nearby liquor store's menu of wines, including half-bottles, is offered -- and, lickety-split, the wine you've ordered arrives at your table! Everything is wonderful here: the food, most especially. The halibut was perfection, as was a blueberry bread pudding for dessert. Yummy! Service, in the person of Sandra, was friendly and professional. She and her colleagues attended to all our needs. Why do I go into the City, battling traffic, when Montclair's Fascino is just a heartbeat away?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise in Montclair's rjerseyicecreamDined on 8/13/2014Celebrated our anniversary with a lovely dinner here. Dishes were unusual, absolutely delicious, and beautifully presented. Portion were ample. It's a BYOB, which is just fine since it allows me to drink whatever I chose to bring. Service was very good. Dining room is small and intimate. Look forward to dining here again,Special Features:
- Yummy yummy in the tummyMirDear1028Dined on 8/13/2014The best pasta I've ever had outside of Italy! Great service and lovely atmosphere. I'm going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Consistent OfferingsKathyVIPDined on 8/12/2014The Romaine Wedge is the best, but frankly, everything we try here is excellent. Homemade pasta with superb sauces, esp papperdelle with lamb ragout. The Peach Crostata is outstanding.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service!Bess8VIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I discovered Fascino recently and have gone back as often as we can, often bringing friends. Everyone loves it! The only problem is choosing what to order because everything is so delicious I always want to order everything on the menu! When you add to the delicious food the wonderfully friendly and gracious staff it adds up to one of our all-time favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sing it's praises again??? okmaestromuffinVIPDined on 8/8/2014i love this restaurant - great food, great space. you can get your wine delivered to your table from the nearby liquor store. i love the gnocchi, and I love the pork chop. did I mention I love this place?Special Features:
- Disappointedleonardo68Dined on 8/7/2014It's been years since my last visit here. Just read the recent NJ monthly article which had Fascino as one of the best restaurants in the state. My friend and I shared the oysters and the cheese plate. The oysters were great. The cheeses were delicious but needed honey and/or chutney. The polenta fries had no flavor. My friend had the ricotta gnocchi which were surprisingly light but lacked flavor. My lamb shank was just ok. The desserts were incredibly good! We had the blueberry bread pudding and the zeppoles. We had a super nice waiter but he was waiting on every table in the entire restaurant. Runners and bussers lacked confidence. This in not what I expect at one of the best restaurants in the state.Special Features:
- sgh12Dined on 8/6/2014Fascino has absolutely wonderful food. The ambiance is relaxing and upscale. The service is excellent. I would highly recommend Fascino.Special Features:
- NorthJerseyFoodieDined on 8/4/2014Great restaurant, great service, very comfortable. Food choices were varied and everything we had was excellently prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014We had dinner here for the first time and found the food to be fantastic. But the level of service was very disappointing. Entrees took forever to come out, we spent the entire meal pouring our own wine because he service was so slow. And we we arrived for our reservation, we we're told quite abruptly that our table wasn't yet ready. Despite the fantastic food, I don't think we'll be dining there again. Too many other great options in Montclair to choose from.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Everything from the moment we sat down to the moment we left was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JennVIPDined on 7/25/2014While it is a bit pricey for a BYOB, the service and the food are so good, that it is worth every penny! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wine Pairing TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Went for the wine-pairing tasting held July 24th. All courses were sooo good. The last course was the cheese course and I'm a huge cheese lover especially with food tastings. The cheeses that were selected were the best grouping I ever had. The gentleman speaking about the various wines was interesting and the wines themselves delicious. All staff were cordial. The chef as usual did a great job as he did for their 11th Anniversary tasting held last month. Thanks again for a great and memorable dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, fantastic serviceMontclaireaterDined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic. All pasta was handmade, the staff was very attentive. I had the lamb shank, which practically fell off the bone. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014hate to nitpick, but it was very slow receiving the entrees. We lost a bit of our appetite in between the appetizer and the entree because the wait seemed interminably long. Otherwise, it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Celebrating husband birthdayBobbiedDined on 7/19/2014From appetizer to dessert the food was very good. Noise level good, Our waiter new the menu, we were able to ask questions about the different entreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant!DoreeDined on 7/15/2014My husband and I went to Fascino's last night for our 42nd Anniversary dinner. It was way beyond what we expected. The service, the food, everything about this restaurant was FANTASTIC. We loved the Foie Gras, the Rigatoni with the forest mushrooms and truffle flavor. My husband had the marrow crusted filet mignon - very delicious and I had the halibut which I loved. We could just about fit dessert but had to the gelato was perfect and they added a special touch writing in chocolate happy anniversary. We highly recommend this restaurant!!!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnersteveDined on 7/12/2014EXCELLENT RESTAURANT....food great, ambiance great, service great...couldn't ask for a better experience to celebrate my wedding anniversary!!!Special Features:
- A Dining ExperienceTonyDined on 7/12/2014Fascino offers a special dining experience. We enjoyed a wonderful 5 course tasting that was a unique and wonderful dining experience. Chef Ryan is experienced and skilled at orchestrating unique combinations a flavor that makes the dining experience memorable. The filet mignonette was more than satisfying and the Australian fish was excellent. The desert tasting presentation included spearmint flavored ice cream, fresh cherries and brandy and a chocolate cocoa pastry was a fantastic capstone. The service staff was courteous and attentive making the dining experience first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lynnDined on 7/5/2014Service was great. Food was delicious except for the chicken. Lovely atmosphere and a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/3/2014Came to celebrate our anniversary. Staff and management very attentative and friendly. Put a candle on our desert and gave us an anniversary card. Food was very tastySpecial Features:
- BYO Wine and appetiteabnrgrfoodieVIPDined on 7/1/2014All dishes were fantastic...octopus, pasta, fish and of course the pork chop! Service was great to include the handling of the wines.Special Features:
- Great dinner!!JessBDined on 6/30/2014We had our 2nd anniversary dinner at Fascino the other night and the food and service were amazing. They even brought us a complimentary dessert with "Happy 2nd Anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate. Love it here!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodchackieDined on 6/30/2014We have always loved the food which is wonderfully prepared and full of intense flavors. We started with fresh oysters on the shell (Wellfleet) and a foie gras that aromatic and melt in your mouth. For primo, we shared the beef and taleggio home made ravioli, nothing better than home made ravioli with this delectable gravy. My husband had the barramundi and I had the scallops -- both perfectly prepared and with wonderful intense flavor. There are many dishes on the menu that I/we are dying to try. We will return soon.Special Features:
- A wonderful date nightmontclairfoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014My husband and I celebrated our 7th anniversary with a wonderful dinner at Fascino's. Crab cake on roasted beet and celery root salad was delicious although the "super lump" description was a bit of a misnomer (it's hard to impress my Eastern Shore MD native husband). I had the Ramp crusted halibut on baby carrot and English pea risotto which was perfectly cooked. My husband's filet mignon was also just the right doneness but a bit underseasoned. We shared a yummy warm blueberry bread pudding with a special request side of chocolate sauce for dessert. They surprised us with anniversary wishes decorated on the plate and a thoughtful handwritten note from the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual food choicesFrequentdinersDined on 6/25/2014Fascino's menu has different selections than other restaurants. The dishes we choose had interesting presentations along with delicious flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and servicejaxysmomDined on 6/7/2014Presentation of all courses was only surpassed by the wonderful taste of the food. The service impeccable. Make Fascino a destination!Special Features:
- Pamy453VIPDined on 5/31/2014All around very nice dinning experience! One of the top restaurants in New Jersey!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic spotSherryLPDined on 5/30/2014Fascinios was a wonderful experience - from the amazingly fresh oysters to the decadent dessert. The ambiance and decor was romantic and the wait staff was very professional without being obnoxious. I would highly recommend it for a special occasion as the cost was on the high side for a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spoileddinersDined on 5/24/2014This is our second time dining here and it was just as wonderful as the first time. The food was fabulous and the service was impeccable. We will be going back as this has become one of our favorite locations for dining.Special Features:
- DisappointingkandjVIPDined on 5/15/2014Fascino was one of the original "very good" restaurants in Montclair, and the retooled menu sounds amazing. It just isn't that great in reality. Duck foie gras ravioli was tough, a beet salad had an incredibly bitter taste, octopus too chewy. Over labored service, too much explanation, too many references to Chef Ryan ... and I'm not going to instagram the food with custom hashtags. If you've had seriously good food, this does not measure up at all. Sad, truly wanted to be wowed.
- FabulousFabulousDined on 5/13/2014My first experience at Fascino recommended by a friend was wonderful. It was my boyfriend birthday and I wanted to take him someplace special. I picked the perfect place. We had a fabulous meal and the service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best flavors around.billDined on 5/11/2014My favorite restaurant because they usually have the best tasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!Wildstar32Dined on 5/10/2014Fascino's is as good as (if not better) any high end Italian in NYC. The food is always superb, the ingredients fresh, presentation is fantastic. Incredible desserts and always a very attentive staff to serve your every need! My wife and I have been coming for years and will continue to do so. :)Special Features:
- Authentic and well-presentedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014The Polenta Frites and Arancini were a bit over-cooked. Ricotta Gnocchi melted in your mouth! Rigatoni with mushrooms was delicious. Sea bass and branzino were scrumptious with unusual yet delicious accompaniments. Desserts were equally good - seasonal spin on typical favorites. Service was extremely good and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.