Farrago World Cuisine
318 Gray Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Farrago World Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farragohouston.com/
- Phone: 7135236404
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have many catering options including in house private dining or our party pan menu for delivery for groups of 5 and larger.
- Special Events: Check out our New Years even menu.
A word from Farrago World Cuisine
Named the best brunch by H-Texas Magazine for 2011, Farrago is nestled in the bustling Midtown district. The restaurant prides itself in making everything possible from scratch. During the week, it lives up to its name (Farrago means a mixture of things) servicing the hip young professionals in Midtown with a cornucopia of items from all over the world (Posole, Vietnamese Salad, Cioppino, Sushi Tuna Appetizer with seawead salad, Jerked Chicken Wings, Pulled Pork Sandwich, freshly made Pizzas and even Fried Oysters with teardrop tomatoes, arugula and a wasabi cream sauce). It also has a lively happy hour with over 70 bottles of wine by the glass and appetizers for either $3, $5 or $7.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farrago World Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
- first visit probably my lastKareemaDined on 7/14/2013It was my first visit to Farrago and I was quite disappointed. I wanted to order the Chicken and waffles and they were out of Chicken. I wasn't impressed with the bottomless brunch so I decided on the crab crakes. Because I am allergic to eggs I asked what could I replace instead of having the poached eggs. My waiter was very comical yet could not really give me an answer. After asking several times what were my options and getting no answer, I finally just said give me the breakfast potatoes. Upon bringing me my food, I was informed that the breakfast potatoes came with it, so it basically I got nothing in place of the eggs. It was just overall a very disappointing dining experience and I would not suggest this restaurant.Special Features:
- DisappointedAJthomasDined on 7/1/2013I hadn't been to this place in years and went online to check out the menu before visiting. My guest has something specific in mind but when we arrived we were told that they had revamped the menu and no longer had that item. We then ordered our other items but were told 15-20 minutes after ordering that they were out of one of them. The good was pretty good overall just disappointed that we couldn't get what we really wanted.Special Features:
- BrunchThinblulineDined on 6/23/2013Went early for brunch and only about 8 tables were seated when I arrived. The staff was fairly courteous but not highly attentive as I could see them congregate and chit chat while some patrons awaited refills, condiments, etc. Ordered the migas and the eggs were overcooked, the tortillas did not taste fresh, and the beans tasted as if they came from a fast food restaurant. Only the Tabasco sauce made it palatable but they ran out of that. Go for the social interaction but eat elsewhere. Food here is definitely not worth the cost.Special Features:
- not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2013Too bad about the lousy service...took much too long to get food and the restaurant serves no bread or crackers.
- Eh. Not a memorable experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2013I took my husband and daughter for Fathers Day this past Sunday. I've always heard great things about the brunch however I was under impressed for 24 bucks per person. The mimosas were always flat, no bubbles as its pre mixed and just sits there in pitchers waiting to be poured. Food was mediocre at best. Didn't like that I needed to ask the cook at the buffet what was under each lid since nothing was labeled. Felt like I was troubling him. No salt or pepper on tables to season. Quiche was inedible as it was highly dry and over cooked. Just not a memorable dining experience. I guess I should have opted for something other that the courtyard buffet.
- Great people-watching patio.MaggieGGDined on 6/7/2013We enjoyed the people-watching on Friday evening, but the service was not great. We sat outside with empty glasses on multiple occasions and had to stalk our waiter to order additional drinks. The food was great, but the waiter did not take our plates until waaay after we were done eating. The hostess, however, was great! It could use its own music in the patio, but that wasn't too bad because the bar across the street had music that reached our table. All-in-all, I'd go back sometime if I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2013Reservations for 6:00PM. Advised waitress that we had theatre reservations at 7:30. Ordered the "Special" of the evening. We were finally served an unexciting dish at 6:45.
- Great foodDLTBVIPDined on 5/20/2013When we walked in at 6pm Monday, the place was empty. That always make you wonder. But the food was great. Shrimp scampi outstanding. Seafood excellent. Desserts ok, but not spectacular. Waiter very friendly and attentive. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013The food is high quality but it took about 40 minuets from sitting down to received our entrees. There was hardly anyone in the restaurant so I'm not sure why caused it.Special Features:
- three restaurants in onenibblesVIPDined on 5/10/2013how to describe this restaurant? threis a front room that is a bar basically, a more formal dining room and then a patio surropunded by apartments-so pick the one you like-it is in a very hip neighborhood and for the young really --the food was quite good and the serive quite attentive--the lemonade with mint and vodka very tasty and the mac and cheese super--it is casual and hip--we were turned off by the front room but the patio was nice--drawback is parking-but there is a g arage next door--or a cvs pharmacy across the street that charge 10 to park--valet would be nice but not offered -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/20131. Waiters seemed uncertain, nice but not very good 2. brought the wrong wine 3. Asked for a cold mug, got the beer, cold glass about 20 + min. later 4. 4 people at table - 1 person got their main course almost an hour before we finally got ours 5. it took us 2 hours from start to end of main course, we took desert home with us, and we ordered shortly after arriving! 5. had to ask several times for various things, ended up getting our own pepper for the salads 6. manager came over once but that was it. 7. the bill was wrong 8, When i suggested the beer and 3 glasses of wine be comped because of the mess, the manager DIDN'T come over and told the waiter it was too much and they wouldn't comp it!
- I expected to have a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2013I expected to have a great experience at this restaurant but I was sadly disappointed. The reviews and star ratings seemed to be positive but my experience was not. One of the first things I noticed was that the restaurant never got busy yet the many of the surrounding places seemed to have more traffic. The service was barely there and the wait staff just didn't seem to care or follow up on anything. The food was nothing to write home about and in fact my chicken curry had small bones in the dish. About the only good thing about the night was the company I was with. I would not recommend this establishment to any of my friends or family.
- Farrago prix fixe dinnerrcubed415Dined on 5/1/2013We had an excellent experience at Farrago with their fixed price dinner. The food and service were excellent. Prices are reasonable. The night we were there business was a little slow, so it was very quiet, but we understand it is a tough ticket on weekends. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fallen restaurantthomasDined on 4/30/2013I was not impressed at all, food was awful, steak was cooked wrong and greasy, creme brulee not good and coffee burnt. waited over an hour for food and was told we could have happy hour and was charged full price for drinks. manager was non caring about our complaints. The only thing that saved us from walking out was the waitstaff, they were very attentive and our waiter was overworked and had alot of tables but never neglected our table. I will not be coming here again ,wasted time and money. The bartender even came to our table and added something to our drink he forgot to put in! You make another fresh drink and bring it to the customer. not impressed.
- Good place to sit outdoorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/27/2013Good place to sit outdoors and drink good coffee, but the brunch dishes were way overpriced in relation to food quality, especially since we were charged alot extra for bad salmon. Smoked salmon was poor quality and tasted spoiled, sauce was too heavy, & all was too salty. The waitress was attentive to our concerns and mentioned they had just changed suppliers for the salmon, so we suggest they return to their former supplier! Potatoes were good.Special Features:
- Been therenotatallpleasedDined on 4/13/2013The margaritas were so sour we couldn't hardly drink them. I was a little upset, mainly at myself, I added the tip on and did my addition wrong. I caught it after I left the restaurant, hoping they would be honest, however the waiter got an additional $10 tip making his tip $27 on a $23 tab.Special Features:
- Service was prompt and courteous.bmacVIPDined on 4/6/2013Service was prompt and courteous. We we on a time cruntch and our waiter made sure we got our food and got out at the right time. Dinner special, Redfish and shrimp over risotto was delicious, but the risotto could have used a little punch...maybe saffron. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- My boyfriend and i requestedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013My boyfriend and i requested the bones to be kept for our dog and the waiter had them wrapped in foil!Special Features:
- Could be some of the worstnew2foodDined on 3/26/2013Could be some of the worst service out there. Only one waitress and the bartender works as the host while talking on his cell phone. no visible manager, poorly run restaurant.
- I normally don't write reviews,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013I normally don't write reviews, but i just had to say, what an incredible restaurant! The food was amazing, the service was impeccable, and the ambience was surprisingly eclectic sheik, for being in mid-town. I celebrated my anniversary and had never been to the restaurant. The server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wines, was very attentive, without being intrusive, and extremely courteous. The food was flavorful, delicious and cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking to have great food, great service and a great time!Special Features:
- Appetizer and dessert wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013Appetizer and dessert were excellent. Ribeye left much to be desired. Typical thin, dry, and tough (ooked MED. Evenm with Groupon, still came to $90 with 1 drink each and tip. Could have gone to Redfish and gotten an awesome prime rib meal for the same or less....
- On old friend and I met forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2013On old friend and I met for brunch at Farrago's. It was the perfect place to sit and cathc up. Easy to get to even with construction on the street. Easy parking for $0-$2. Dyanna was a great waitress. She made recommendation for our meals with substitutions. Food was excellent, we had omletes with salmon!Special Features:
- I have been here for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013I have been here for brunch before and was very pleased. Last night I came in for dinner and I was so impressed. The food was amazing. I would recommend sitting outside! Great service.Special Features:
- We waited from 7:30 to 9:00FourchetteVIPDined on 2/16/2013We waited from 7:30 to 9:00 for our food. Never showed up despite repeated assurances it was on its way. Were missing the first three wines we had selected. Had to settle on a fourth one. At least 2 tables next to us were in the same no-food situation. A third couple left before ordering when they saw the mess. The restaurant not even crowded. So can't comment on the food...
- Do not come to this restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Do not come to this restaurant!!! We sat there for 2.5 hours!!!
- Needs ImprovementOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/14/2013Staff seemed inexperienced like it was their first day of operation. We had a Valintine's day reservation for a dinner for two and they asked us as we walked in the door and before we were seated if we wanted the Valintine's day special before we ever saw a menu. After a longer than expected wait given the number of wait staff in the restaurant and partially filled dining area we finally were waited on to take our initial drink order. They were out of the wine bottle that we selected and we ended up trying a recommended substitute of equal cost that was less than satisfying and had little flavor. On the positive side the redfish and shrimp over spinach risotto was very good but the fish tacos were underwhelming.
- Can't get much betterSandYDined on 2/1/2013We used a Groupon coupon for our dinner at Farrago's this time. That means there is a special menu, and every item on it was exceptional. Especially good were both dessert choices: chocolate mousse and creme brulee. Simply the best creme brulee I have ever had. We had dinner in their interior courtyard with birds chirping. Very peaceful and quiet. Perfect.Special Features:
- Farrago is located in a trendyHenryDVIPDined on 1/31/2013Farrago is located in a trendy complex in Midtown. Street parking is limited, but a convenient garage is available (90 minutes for $2). Service was very good & friendly. The food was delicious & prepared to perfection. I wasn't overly impressed with the selections on the lunch menu. I suppose I expected more depth & imagination at a restaurant billed "World Cuisine". I ordered a burger ($12) & my wife the lunch steak ($17), both with the Cajun fries. Very good, but in my opinion overpriced for lunch. If the German Chocolate cake is representative of other desserts, skip dessert. Nice looking bar area & great outdoor dining areas. After ordering we noticed a quick lunch menu for $8.99 or so, with decent options. Worth another try.Special Features:
- Not a good first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013Unfortunately this was my first time and it was not the best. Ordered crab cakes with poached eggs and potatoes. Crab cakes were lukewarm but I didn't say anything because I had already complained that potatoes were cold and they replaced them with hot ones. Requested eggs to be poached longer so the white of the egg was fully cooked. White was not fully cooked. Requested tartar sauce and they didn't have tartar sauce and the cook could not make any. I met a woman there for a meeting because she said it was her husband's favorite restaurant and he had a lot of meetings there. Because of that, I will give it another chance, but at this point cannot recommend. Sorry!
- I made a reservation for NewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012I made a reservation for New Years Eve for my lady friend and I. We looked online before hand to make sure they had some items we liked on the menu. When we arrived, they told us that they had a limited menu for New Years of which had nothing we were interested in eating. They stated "the kitchen was not prepared to cookmany other items" so we left. Will maybe try again sometime in the future. It was also very hot in the restaurant!Special Features:
- I used a prepaid coupon forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/29/2012I used a prepaid coupon for a 3 course dinner for two to try this establishment with my wife, but we ended up paying more for less than what was to be included in the offer. Although the food was very good, I will not return, as I feel that I was tricked into paying more for less, even though our waiter was pleasant and professional.
- Went to Farrago World CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Went to Farrago World Cuisine for a friends birthday dinner, the service was extremely slow had to wait for water and then again for wine. The wine was put in a wine cooler across the otherside of the restaurant and was not topped up during the meal so we had to go and get the bottle ourselves. The food was okay, nothing special.
- I was very pleased with thisPaddyDined on 12/7/2012I was very pleased with this restaurant. I thought it would be loud, but then we were escorted into a back dining room. It was a great experience. Good food, atmosphere, and service.Special Features:
- Our waiter (I think his nameOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012Our waiter (I think his name was Sammy) was wonderful. Friendly, knew his food, helpful with recommendations and chatty!Special Features:
- I will never eat here againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2012Had the worst experience ever at Farrgos on Saturday. Previously I made reservations and I was informed that the brunch would still be going on even after 4 pm. I'm a texans fan so I didn't want to miss the game that aired at 12. I got there at 315 and my table wasnt ready. It was my birthday so me and my large group of guests waited in the front of the restaurant unassisted for 20 minutes. Finally we were took to our table were it wasn't set for 20 people. We ended up having to add more tables ourselves. The waiter was so rude and was short with all of us. He never greeted us or made us feel welcome. He forced the brunch on us and didn't give us much options. He said the kitchen and brunch would be over in 30 min. I was confused because we
- SERIOUS BAD ALL AROUND!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012worst service I have ever received at any restaurant. I have had better customer service at mcdonalds!! Will never go back not recommend anyone else to go. Food was horrible and priced on the spot according to however the server wanted us to pay. DO NOT GO!! I hope this place closes fast!!
- Joyful Monday Night at Farrago'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2012I went to Farrago's on a Monday night with a friend, so there were only a few other people in the restaurant. I'm sure it's much more busy, loud, and upbeat on the weekennds. Our waiter was very friendly, polite, and really seemed to like his job, and he was familiar with the menu and could answer our questions easily. Farrago's offers different menus depending on the day of the week that you go. The menu online shows all of their options, but the day I went, there were only about half of the items to choose from on the mneu. This restaurant is for foodies, so don't bring a picky person here. They take traditional meals and spice them up with their own creativity and unique ingredients.Special Features:
- Perhaps the outside road constructiFrankSDined on 9/22/2012Perhaps the outside road construction has severely dampered a once vibrant and fun midtown location.
- Arrived with a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2012Arrived with a reservation but there was no table. Not a problem so we sat outside as it was a nice evening. It looked like 3 other couples had the same issue. 15 mins later no waiter had come to our table or any other table. We finally left and walked down the street to Majorcas where we had a nice Tapas dinner (with no reservation). 2 of the other 3 couples showed up there also. We never had any food or even a drink of water at Farragos, so we'll never go back and will warn our friends to stay away.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012We had reservations and even though the restaurant was empty (maybe six tables full) we had to wait 15 minutes for them to get the table ready. Our waiter was not very attentive (we watched as he sat outside talking on his cell phone for 15 minutes), we waited almost an hour for our food (everyone ordered steak), the steaks were not cooked to order and on top of it our waiter requested a cash tip because "the power went out a few days ago and we cannot add the tip on".