71 Union Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farmsteadtable.com/
- Phone: 6179286000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served Tuesday-Friday, 11-3
Brunch on Saturday, 11-3
Brunch on Sunday, 10-3
Dinner Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5-9
open until 10 on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Burns
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
- Special Events: please contact Ericka Curley, email@example.com
A word from Farmstead Table
Opened in 2012, Farmstead Table blends French technique and new world innovation in a classic American country kitchen. Inspired by local farmers, our culinary team believes that fresh and pure ingredients don’t need too much tinkering and can speak for themselves. The innovative food is complemented by lively cocktails, domestic craft brews, and finely curated wines. A soothing design and intimate dining area provide a relaxed feel, while our staff delivers polished, yet approachable service. We are dedicated to being actively involved our community, contributing sustainable, responsibly sourced product and knowledge, and in doing so, establishing ourselves as a place for its members to gather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Farmstead Table - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Farmstead Table reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (119)fit for foodies (112)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (36)special occasion (31)romantic (20)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Best restaurant!ETPhillipsVIPDined on 9/26/2014We love this restaurant! The food is wonderful, the staff is great, the owner/chef will come out to say hello. We go there often and each time the food is amazing. We always get the popovers, the baked bread is fabulous and the wine is interesting and delicious. I had the kale salad, fried brussel sprouts, and the hen. Really wonderful. I am looking forward to my next meal there. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014Farmstead Table was a great find. We were looking for a restaurant in Newton on Open Table and this came up. Would definitely recommend. Great food (appetizers to dessert) and great service. Our waiter was very personable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014The food at Farmstead Table is consistently delicious. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Addition to Newton CenterBKapDined on 9/21/2014Very pleasant semi-farmhouse type atmosphere. The broccoli appetizer was incredible, and our steaks and fish were very good as well. The service was outstanding. Our waiter was very attentive without being intrusive, and just very pleasant.Special Features:
- Good but did not meet expectationsZtaKEDVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a party of 6 that included one vegetarian and 2 dedicated carnivores so we had a reasonable spectrum of selections from the menu. First, the service was very good. Attentive and not overbearing. Wait staff very pleasant. No problems there. The food was good but not to a level that would have met my expectations. Nothing wrong but just not quite there. The only issue was the generous serving of salt with the french fries but that was rapidly corrected to our satisfaction without question or issue. The group was polled the next day and the consensus was an overall '4.' Try it, you may like it. As we live out of state, we will probably move along.
- Soup excellent; grilled cheese OKBusyWorkMom40sDined on 9/19/2014Soup outstanding. Grilled cheese was oily bread and did not notice any cheese, just pesto. High quality green tea but cup was sosmall cup, had to ask for hot water 2more times.Special Features:
- You won't be disappointed!Foodie007Dined on 9/18/2014Top-notch food, service, decor. Can't be beat. Farmstead Table is always reliably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fresh foodsNellVIPDined on 9/17/2014I like being able to order either half or full portions for some dishes. Half portion sizes are entirely adeSpecial Features:
- Simple simply amazing foodJollieduckDined on 9/14/2014I ordered a brioche french toast that was garnished with figs that I drizzled real Vermont maple syrup over, and it was so simple yet perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Very fresh food from farm to table type - nice presentation and very relaxed atmosphere. A fabulous burgerSpecial Features:
- Great ladies' lunch spotAddelaneDined on 9/12/2014I came here with coworkers and it was just what we needed to indulge on a subtantial healthy meal And glass of wine before heading back to the office. Food was excellent and service prompt. Very happy with this choice. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No showOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014I made a reservation and traveled with a client only to find out that they're closed on Monday. I hope they coordinate better with OpenTable and other reservation services in the futureSpecial Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/7/2014Farmstead Table is a charming neighborhood restaurant. The food is very fresh and locally sourced. I had a wonderful heirloom tomato salad for an appetizer. I ordered the hen for my entree, and it was incredibly flavorful! My husband thoroughly enjoyed his pork chop, too. We can't wait to go back to this restaurant!Special Features:
- Exception LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food at Farmstead was uniformly excellent. Each dish that we enjoyed was cooked to perfection and an exciting experience. The service was knowledgeable and responsive. The menu items were original and exciting. One could not have a better lunch.Special Features:
- sword fish steak was rareNewtondinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants---but not this time. We ordered three main courses--one was perfect, the soup came out half full with not all the ingredients. The waitress realized there was an error after eating the soup and then corrected the mistake. However, the sword fish had to be recooked, it took about 15 minutes and by then we were finished with our dishes. The chef/owner was sitting in the restaurant and didn't even come by to apologize for 60% of the MEALS being done incorrectly. A very disappointing meal. I even wrote an email to the restaurant and never heard back from them.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/3/2014Farmstead Table has delicious, fresh food. I ordered a cup of tomato soup, and it was flavorful and not too salty. I licked the cup when I was done! I also got the salad with roasted chicken on top. The chicken was just roasted there, and I could really tell the difference! It was outstanding! The only issue I had was that the peaches were hard and should have been ripe. They offered me some berries and fresh yellow watermelon instead, which satisfied me. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Appreciated the knowledge of the menu by our waitress. One guest had a severe lactose intolerance problem and we found the waitstaff wonderful Limited menu kept me from giving restaurant an overall 5Special Features:
- Best brunch in NewtonsashaDined on 8/31/2014Excellent service lovely interior food was well presented and fresh and delicious using seasonal ingredientsSpecial Features:
- Take the time visit Farmstead TableElkArcherVIPDined on 8/30/2014Had a great evening. All of the food was prepared with much care and the ingredients were highlighted by simple and balanced seasoning. Appetizers really showcased local ingredients. Yellow Watermelon, Fried Green Tomatoes and Oysters were shared and we were all members of the "Clean Plate Club!" The quality of the ingredients was impeccable. Both seafood and vegetables were fresh and had vibrant flavors and texture. The fish was grilled perfectly and arrived juicy and done exactly as requested-New England Swordfish done Medium, just a faint bit of pink in the core. Deserts didn't disappoint either. Again, simple but expertly done Peach Tart and Berry Cobbler were awesome. Make a trip here, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Service IssueschloebuttsVIPDined on 8/24/2014A very nice man started out as our waiter, he was pleasant, attentive and helpful. But, the woman who was actually our waitress was talking about other guests, texting, disappearing into the back kitchen for minutes at a time and somehow had a hard time picking up her feet as she walked. The restaurant was not busy so that was not the issue. She was also overheard telling some guests in rough tone that if they had shown up earlier in the dining hours they would have more options to choose from the menu since they run out of things. Cute place food was ok, but not going to run back anytime soon with that service I am wondering if others are feeling the same way. Too bad.
- "We're out of that"travelrestaurantloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our server was a very nice and very efficient person who had the unfortunate task of telling us repeatedly, about both menu and drink requests, that "we are out of ..." Everything else was really very good though.Special Features:
- Fresh & DeliciousMAH7Dined on 8/16/2014Local farm offerings prepared with simplicity and flavor. The buttermilk fried green tomatoes were quirky and delicious, tart tomatoes in the thinnest ever batter topped with fresh corn and basil. The game hen was lovely, and my vegetarian wife enjoyed the corn ravioli with chanterelles. Topped it all off with creme brûlée and a luscious berry cobbler with lemon verbena ice cream. All served with expert advice and warmth by Michelle. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesome, service was weirdOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014We had a table of 6 and the food was amazing, but the service was very strange. The waiter was impatient, rude, and just plain awkward. Otherwise, we have been there a couple times and NEVER been disappointed by the food. :o) It's delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Special now.LuvBostonDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed the Farmstead Table many times in the past, but sadly the food and service have really declined. Nothing special now and I would not return.
- great food, relaxed atmosphereAnthonyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've now been several times to Farmstead Table and always had a great experience. The menu changes but we've never been disappointed. Recent favorites were the green salad, the raviolo (entree), and the blueberry/blackberry crumble. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious food; balanced flavorsvbBostonDined on 8/8/2014Cozy little neighborhood gem with few tables and great service. Good variety on menu with options for all palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, odd servicesavoryeaterVIPDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant has a small menu, but I found the raviolo that I ordered delicious and my tomato salad was excellent, too. The service was a little odd. We weren't given menus at first, then they appeared, then while we were pondering what to order, our waiter "borrowed" my menu to give to the woman at the next table so she could select her dessert. Not enough menus? Too inconvenient for the waiter to get another one? We ordered three popovers (which weren't worth $3 a piece) but only got two. All in all, nice food with peculiar service.Special Features:
- yummy brunchBrooklineNeighborDined on 8/3/20143 for brunch. Pancakes with blueberries, quiche of the day, roasted salmon special and tomatoes with cheese. Use of basil was great. We look forward to dinner there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really deliciousDebbyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is great here and the stuff really tries hard to do a wonderful job It gets better and better Love the scallops, the dessertsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Restaurant!ETPhillipsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Farmstead continues to be my favorite restaurant. The food is delicious and always prepared fresh, hot, beautiful and wonderful. the staff is outstanding and make you feel so great about being there. The wine is exceptional and I always find an interesting white that compliments my meal. The bread and popovers are delicious and are a nice way to start the meal. This time I had the green salad with pickled cherries! Have you ever had a pickled cherry? Wow, it was wonderful. This is a great place and the owners chef is terrific- get your reservation in now. I can't waitt o go back again!Special Features:
- disappointedfoodie1965VIPDined on 7/22/2014Overall disappointing. ...especially when dinner for two was $125 I expected better. I don't eat cheese, and I did inform the waiter. ..for non cheese eaters the small menu down right tiny. The only cheese free ap ..fried clams w bib lettuce...a single wilted leaf. My companion loved their corn fritter soup..parm cheese. The fish special was described by the waiter with no mention of the pesto it was swimming in. The cheese was overwhelming and all my scraping couldn't get rid of it. Cheese on fish is not something one expects especially when I made it clear. And the fish was underdone and still clear gelatin in the center. The poppers were cold. They had no cappuccino. .they had no black tea...had to settle for jasmin green tea...
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We hadn't been there since they first opened. Remarkably improved. Much better menu and delightful execution. We'll definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- frogloverVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food is tastefully and thoughtfully prepared with fresh ingredients. Everything was delicious and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A satisfying visit!MarKevVIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband & I started our meal by sharing the fried clams appetizer. It was simply delicious! This dish would be perfect on top of any salad! Then for entree I had the grilled trout, while my husband had their Day-Boat fish, which was halibut. We both enjoyed our entrees very much! I actually needed a little help finishing my trout because it was a huge portion! HOWEVER, I still left a little room for dessert to share, which I believe was peach cobbler with a scoop of ice cream if I remember correctly. I do remember enjoying it! Great wine list too! Service was most excellent!! We look forward to coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpTabVIPVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had a very nice dinner with Beth serving us. Enjoyed the cheddar burger and clams. Popovers were nice, but $3 each is a joke! Should be a basket of them! Won't order that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies neighborhood gemJBtableVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great dinner spot without having to drive into town. Small restaurant (hard wkend reservations) with tasty fresh local food, creative meals. Veggies & salads are always great. Attentive service. Tables spacing is tight. Would love to see espresso on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful summer mealpbcheeseVIPDined on 7/11/2014Fried clams excellent; basil soup excellent; veggies in gnocchi dish excellent; delicious salad w/apricots; great popovers; perfectly done trout; nice finish with the strawberry rhubarb cobbler. Courteous service. Nice, simple decor / ambiance. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- So goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014My first time here and it was right on the Mark. Great service, great food and it doesn't break the bank.Special Features:
- Farmstead Table TopsTomKDined on 7/9/2014Myh wife and I had dinner this week at Farmstead Table, our first visit to the restaurant. Very pleasant decor, warmly greeted at the door for our early (5:30) seating, and Beth was our server. I enjoyed a very good Ale from Martha's Vineyard and enjoyed the crispy clams, while my wife savored the fresh, hot popover. We ordered fish entrees, mine was the Halibut, Kathleen the rainbow trout. Both dishes were tasty, fresh and delicious. Beth provided excellent service, and we will return.!Special Features:
- A great findA2C2VIPDined on 7/6/2014We loved the decor, service and food! Always happy to discover a fantastic restaurant in such a convenient location. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.