71 Union Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farmsteadtable.com/
- Phone: 6179286000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served Tuesday-Friday, 11-3
Brunch on Saturday, 11-3
Brunch on Sunday, 10-3
Dinner Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5-9
open until 10 on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Burns
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
- Special Events: please contact Ericka Curley, email@example.com
A word from Farmstead Table
Opened in 2012, Farmstead Table blends French technique and new world innovation in a classic American country kitchen. Inspired by local farmers, our culinary team believes that fresh and pure ingredients don’t need too much tinkering and can speak for themselves. The innovative food is complemented by lively cocktails, domestic craft brews, and finely curated wines. A soothing design and intimate dining area provide a relaxed feel, while our staff delivers polished, yet approachable service. We are dedicated to being actively involved our community, contributing sustainable, responsibly sourced product and knowledge, and in doing so, establishing ourselves as a place for its members to gather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Farmstead Table - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Farmstead Table reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (109)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (32)special occasion (31)romantic (17)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Farm in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/28/2014Wonderful lunch with great flavored food, serene atmosphere. They now serve afternoon tea also. Gracious dining!Special Features:
- FridaynightlightsVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was great. We all enjoyed dinner and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- DisappointingSRGKDined on 10/24/2014We've eaten at Farmstead before, and this was the first disappointing experience we've had. Our server was inattentive, but one of her colleagues noted it and came to our rescue. The cocktails were excellent, but things went downhill from there. It is a limited menu to start with, and they were out of the two entrees we wanted at 8:30 on a Friday night. The two we had--the game hen and the pork chop--were good, but nothing special. To top off our experience, we ordered the baked chocolate pudding, which the menu says must be ordered 20 minutes in advance, suggesting that it is made fresh. It arrived at the table dried out, perhaps because it had been cooked some time ago and then reheated. Here's hoping this was just a bad night.
- Excellent food and service...butLove2EatOutVIPDined on 10/24/2014Went for lunch recently. The food is amazing (specials + standard fare). The server was great however the space is very confined and the acoustics not greatSpecial Features:
- good lunch menushelleybellyDined on 10/24/2014Like the menu, the food was fresh and tasty, a little overpriced. Server did good job of attending to a very crowded room. Would try again.Special Features:
- GoodFoodMattersVIPDined on 10/23/2014What a find even with the challenge of finding a parking space! The food was awesome - flavors I didn't know existed in the butternut squash soup - heavenly. Although I am aghast at the portions typically served up at many American restaurants, Farmstead could err on the side of slightly increasing portions - mostly wanted to enjoy a few more bites of the delectable offerings! Service was very friendly and attentive ; the space is bright and cheery even on a very gray, rainy day.Special Features:
- A very good loal restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014Farmstead Table is consistently good with creative cuisine that is fairly priced. An excellent neighborhood venue.Special Features:
- great find in Newton CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014The basics: excellent food, I would have given 4.5 stars if possible (mushy spaghetti squash tasted good but texture was off putting) - beautiful vegetables, perfect rib eye steak, delicious pork. Brandade fritter and onion rings were 5 star plus. Service attentive, knowledgeable. It was a quiet night, so noise level was not a problem. Decor simple and soothing. They serve tea in the afternoons! Must try. Beyond the basics: Newton Center was always a puzzle - leaving aside diner food and pizza, every restaurant was mediocre. No more! This place is great.Special Features:
- A farmstead twist on comfortLisaJohnsonDined on 10/19/2014Good wine & beer list, the spelt bread they brought to the table was fantastic. We both had the pork chops which were cooked tender and juicy and loved the butternut squash as a side. The Apple tart had a touch of lemon which elevated the dish, fantastic all around. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Consistently greatpattidVIPDined on 10/19/2014Farmstead Table is probably our favorite restaurant in Newton. We're clearly not the only ones -- it's a hard reservation to get! We've had great dinners there several times, but this was our first brunch and it was outstanding. Creative, fresh, delicious. The only downside in our mind is how close the tables are together -- they certainly make the most of the space, but you're often practically rubbing elbows with your neighbors. The noise level, however, is somehow well-managed. The food keeps us going back, and the service is always friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Outstanding!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Always a very enjoyable dining experience. Very good food and a lovely, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectCriticMDined on 10/15/2014Good service and wine recommendation. Main courses are perfectly cooked - delicious and fresh with seasonal vegetables; nice texture and combination of ingredients - I will give a five stars to the main courses. The desert bread pudding is just a little dry -like muffin but the sweetness is just right not overly sweet. Really enjoy the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Reliable!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014Had dinner at Farmstead the other night and the food never disappoints. I had the poussin and my friend had the salmon. Both entrees were delicious. One of my favorite spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodlisadDined on 10/11/2014been here twice in the last few months. the food is very good. small menu but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty BLTsgrandmotherDined on 10/10/2014Three of our party of four had the BLTs with fries. The bacon was thick and crunchy, and the mayo a bit spicy, but delicious. The sandwiches were ample; if we'd known how large, two of us could have split one. Nevertheless, each of us managed to eat our entire sandwich. It was noisy at the beginning of our lunch, but we moved our heads closer to the table center and managed just fine to hear one another.Special Features:
- HookedDinewithfriendsDined on 10/9/2014My only hesitation in providing this review is I'd like to keep this place a secret....I've been here numerous times and have always had a great experience - .food, timing, friendliness of wait staff. Menu choice and updates with the season keep it fresh. My hats off to farmstead. I encourage you to visit - be careful you may become hooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummywinegeekVIPDined on 10/8/2014We at lunch here, and though it is a tad expensive, it was worth every penny.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsteveVIPDined on 10/7/2014My roasted vegetable dish was dry and tasteless. The kale salad was bad. We had a business client with us and her food was not good to her either. They did offer free dessert which we didn't really want since we were trying to eat healthy.
- delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014the food was so delicious and fresh. the ambience was just right for a quiet lunch...Special Features:
- Solid quality foodRICHVIPDined on 10/4/2014Service was odd; not sure who was doing the serving; bartender, waitress, host?? Similar comments as other diners and the service was very slow. Food was great as always. Wine list is far too limited.Special Features:
- A great place for brunch.richardtisingerDined on 10/4/2014I asked my granddaughter who is a freshman at Boston College to find a place for us to have brunch the morning we were to visit her on our trip to Boston. Happily she found Farmstead. The ambience is bright and cheerful. The service is attentive and knowledgable . I would describe the food as traditional brunch with an innovative twist. I had scrambled eggs with cheese and jalapenos. Plus the little village of Newton where it is locate is very charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Newton starKatrinkaDined on 10/1/2014We have always found Farmstead Table to be a warm, inviting, not-too- noisy restaurant. The vegetarian entrees are really creative and delicious. Service has always been very good, and the wines delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parking was difficult71LincolnDined on 10/1/2014Was frustrating and hard to find parking during the lunch hour in Newton Centre. Once we made it in, the initial welcoming was cool. Our waiter was kind attentive. I told him I had a lactose intolerance just incase I chose an item that had lactose that I wouldn't be aware of. We had a BLT with salad. The presentation was excellent as was the sandwhich and the salad. Unfortunatly, the bread was toasted with butter, so I had to send it back and get plain bread. We weren't pressured to leave and enjoyed the time we spent there.Special Features:
- Best restaurant!ETPhillipsVIPDined on 9/26/2014We love this restaurant! The food is wonderful, the staff is great, the owner/chef will come out to say hello. We go there often and each time the food is amazing. We always get the popovers, the baked bread is fabulous and the wine is interesting and delicious. I had the kale salad, fried brussel sprouts, and the hen. Really wonderful. I am looking forward to my next meal there. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.Ew327Dined on 9/26/2014Farmstead Table was a great find. We were looking for a restaurant in Newton on Open Table and this came up. Would definitely recommend. Great food (appetizers to dessert) and great service. Our waiter was very personable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014The food at Farmstead Table is consistently delicious. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Addition to Newton CenterBKapDined on 9/21/2014Very pleasant semi-farmhouse type atmosphere. The broccoli appetizer was incredible, and our steaks and fish were very good as well. The service was outstanding. Our waiter was very attentive without being intrusive, and just very pleasant.Special Features:
- Good but did not meet expectationsZtaKEDVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a party of 6 that included one vegetarian and 2 dedicated carnivores so we had a reasonable spectrum of selections from the menu. First, the service was very good. Attentive and not overbearing. Wait staff very pleasant. No problems there. The food was good but not to a level that would have met my expectations. Nothing wrong but just not quite there. The only issue was the generous serving of salt with the french fries but that was rapidly corrected to our satisfaction without question or issue. The group was polled the next day and the consensus was an overall '4.' Try it, you may like it. As we live out of state, we will probably move along.
- Soup excellent; grilled cheese OKBusyWorkMom40sDined on 9/19/2014Soup outstanding. Grilled cheese was oily bread and did not notice any cheese, just pesto. High quality green tea but cup was sosmall cup, had to ask for hot water 2more times.Special Features:
- You won't be disappointed!Foodie007Dined on 9/18/2014Top-notch food, service, decor. Can't be beat. Farmstead Table is always reliably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fresh foodsNellVIPDined on 9/17/2014I like being able to order either half or full portions for some dishes. Half portion sizes are entirely adeSpecial Features:
- Simple simply amazing foodJollieduckDined on 9/14/2014I ordered a brioche french toast that was garnished with figs that I drizzled real Vermont maple syrup over, and it was so simple yet perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Very fresh food from farm to table type - nice presentation and very relaxed atmosphere. A fabulous burgerSpecial Features:
- Great ladies' lunch spotAddelaneDined on 9/12/2014I came here with coworkers and it was just what we needed to indulge on a subtantial healthy meal And glass of wine before heading back to the office. Food was excellent and service prompt. Very happy with this choice. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No showOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014I made a reservation and traveled with a client only to find out that they're closed on Monday. I hope they coordinate better with OpenTable and other reservation services in the futureSpecial Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/7/2014Farmstead Table is a charming neighborhood restaurant. The food is very fresh and locally sourced. I had a wonderful heirloom tomato salad for an appetizer. I ordered the hen for my entree, and it was incredibly flavorful! My husband thoroughly enjoyed his pork chop, too. We can't wait to go back to this restaurant!Special Features:
- Exception LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food at Farmstead was uniformly excellent. Each dish that we enjoyed was cooked to perfection and an exciting experience. The service was knowledgeable and responsive. The menu items were original and exciting. One could not have a better lunch.Special Features:
- sword fish steak was rareNewtondinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants---but not this time. We ordered three main courses--one was perfect, the soup came out half full with not all the ingredients. The waitress realized there was an error after eating the soup and then corrected the mistake. However, the sword fish had to be recooked, it took about 15 minutes and by then we were finished with our dishes. The chef/owner was sitting in the restaurant and didn't even come by to apologize for 60% of the MEALS being done incorrectly. A very disappointing meal. I even wrote an email to the restaurant and never heard back from them.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/3/2014Farmstead Table has delicious, fresh food. I ordered a cup of tomato soup, and it was flavorful and not too salty. I licked the cup when I was done! I also got the salad with roasted chicken on top. The chicken was just roasted there, and I could really tell the difference! It was outstanding! The only issue I had was that the peaches were hard and should have been ripe. They offered me some berries and fresh yellow watermelon instead, which satisfied me. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Appreciated the knowledge of the menu by our waitress. One guest had a severe lactose intolerance problem and we found the waitstaff wonderful Limited menu kept me from giving restaurant an overall 5Special Features: