71 Union Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farmsteadtable.com/
- Phone: 6179286000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served Tuesday-Friday, 11-3
Brunch on Saturday, 11-3
Brunch on Sunday, 10-3
Dinner Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5-9
open until 10 on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Burns
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
- Special Events: please contact Ericka Curley, firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Farmstead Table
Opened in 2012, Farmstead Table blends French technique and new world innovation in a classic American country kitchen. Inspired by local farmers, our culinary team believes that fresh and pure ingredients don’t need too much tinkering and can speak for themselves. The innovative food is complemented by lively cocktails, domestic craft brews, and finely curated wines. A soothing design and intimate dining area provide a relaxed feel, while our staff delivers polished, yet approachable service. We are dedicated to being actively involved our community, contributing sustainable, responsibly sourced product and knowledge, and in doing so, establishing ourselves as a place for its members to gather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Farmstead Table - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Farmstead Table reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (115)fit for foodies (111)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (34)special occasion (33)romantic (22)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Best brunch in NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent service lovely interior food was well presented and fresh and delicious using seasonal ingredientsSpecial Features:
- Take the time visit Farmstead TableElkArcherVIPDined on 8/30/2014Had a great evening. All of the food was prepared with much care and the ingredients were highlighted by simple and balanced seasoning. Appetizers really showcased local ingredients. Yellow Watermelon, Fried Green Tomatoes and Oysters were shared and we were all members of the "Clean Plate Club!" The quality of the ingredients was impeccable. Both seafood and vegetables were fresh and had vibrant flavors and texture. The fish was grilled perfectly and arrived juicy and done exactly as requested-New England Swordfish done Medium, just a faint bit of pink in the core. Deserts didn't disappoint either. Again, simple but expertly done Peach Tart and Berry Cobbler were awesome. Make a trip here, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Service IssueschloebuttsVIPDined on 8/24/2014A very nice man started out as our waiter, he was pleasant, attentive and helpful. But, the woman who was actually our waitress was talking about other guests, texting, disappearing into the back kitchen for minutes at a time and somehow had a hard time picking up her feet as she walked. The restaurant was not busy so that was not the issue. She was also overheard telling some guests in rough tone that if they had shown up earlier in the dining hours they would have more options to choose from the menu since they run out of things. Cute place food was ok, but not going to run back anytime soon with that service I am wondering if others are feeling the same way. Too bad.
- "We're out of that"travelrestaurantloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our server was a very nice and very efficient person who had the unfortunate task of telling us repeatedly, about both menu and drink requests, that "we are out of ..." Everything else was really very good though.Special Features:
- Fresh & DeliciousMAH7Dined on 8/16/2014Local farm offerings prepared with simplicity and flavor. The buttermilk fried green tomatoes were quirky and delicious, tart tomatoes in the thinnest ever batter topped with fresh corn and basil. The game hen was lovely, and my vegetarian wife enjoyed the corn ravioli with chanterelles. Topped it all off with creme brûlée and a luscious berry cobbler with lemon verbena ice cream. All served with expert advice and warmth by Michelle. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesome, service was weirdOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014We had a table of 6 and the food was amazing, but the service was very strange. The waiter was impatient, rude, and just plain awkward. Otherwise, we have been there a couple times and NEVER been disappointed by the food. :o) It's delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Special now.LuvBostonDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed the Farmstead Table many times in the past, but sadly the food and service have really declined. Nothing special now and I would not return.
- great food, relaxed atmosphereAnthonyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've now been several times to Farmstead Table and always had a great experience. The menu changes but we've never been disappointed. Recent favorites were the green salad, the raviolo (entree), and the blueberry/blackberry crumble. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious food; balanced flavorsvbBostonDined on 8/8/2014Cozy little neighborhood gem with few tables and great service. Good variety on menu with options for all palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, odd servicesavoryeaterVIPDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant has a small menu, but I found the raviolo that I ordered delicious and my tomato salad was excellent, too. The service was a little odd. We weren't given menus at first, then they appeared, then while we were pondering what to order, our waiter "borrowed" my menu to give to the woman at the next table so she could select her dessert. Not enough menus? Too inconvenient for the waiter to get another one? We ordered three popovers (which weren't worth $3 a piece) but only got two. All in all, nice food with peculiar service.Special Features:
- yummy brunchBrooklineNeighborDined on 8/3/20143 for brunch. Pancakes with blueberries, quiche of the day, roasted salmon special and tomatoes with cheese. Use of basil was great. We look forward to dinner there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really deliciousDebbyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is great here and the stuff really tries hard to do a wonderful job It gets better and better Love the scallops, the dessertsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Restaurant!ETPhillipsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Farmstead continues to be my favorite restaurant. The food is delicious and always prepared fresh, hot, beautiful and wonderful. the staff is outstanding and make you feel so great about being there. The wine is exceptional and I always find an interesting white that compliments my meal. The bread and popovers are delicious and are a nice way to start the meal. This time I had the green salad with pickled cherries! Have you ever had a pickled cherry? Wow, it was wonderful. This is a great place and the owners chef is terrific- get your reservation in now. I can't waitt o go back again!Special Features:
- disappointedfoodie1965VIPDined on 7/22/2014Overall disappointing. ...especially when dinner for two was $125 I expected better. I don't eat cheese, and I did inform the waiter. ..for non cheese eaters the small menu down right tiny. The only cheese free ap ..fried clams w bib lettuce...a single wilted leaf. My companion loved their corn fritter soup..parm cheese. The fish special was described by the waiter with no mention of the pesto it was swimming in. The cheese was overwhelming and all my scraping couldn't get rid of it. Cheese on fish is not something one expects especially when I made it clear. And the fish was underdone and still clear gelatin in the center. The poppers were cold. They had no cappuccino. .they had no black tea...had to settle for jasmin green tea...
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We hadn't been there since they first opened. Remarkably improved. Much better menu and delightful execution. We'll definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- frogloverDined on 7/20/2014The food is tastefully and thoughtfully prepared with fresh ingredients. Everything was delicious and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A satisfying visit!MarKevVIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband & I started our meal by sharing the fried clams appetizer. It was simply delicious! This dish would be perfect on top of any salad! Then for entree I had the grilled trout, while my husband had their Day-Boat fish, which was halibut. We both enjoyed our entrees very much! I actually needed a little help finishing my trout because it was a huge portion! HOWEVER, I still left a little room for dessert to share, which I believe was peach cobbler with a scoop of ice cream if I remember correctly. I do remember enjoying it! Great wine list too! Service was most excellent!! We look forward to coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpTabVIPVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had a very nice dinner with Beth serving us. Enjoyed the cheddar burger and clams. Popovers were nice, but $3 each is a joke! Should be a basket of them! Won't order that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies neighborhood gemJBtableVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great dinner spot without having to drive into town. Small restaurant (hard wkend reservations) with tasty fresh local food, creative meals. Veggies & salads are always great. Attentive service. Tables spacing is tight. Would love to see espresso on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful summer mealpbcheeseVIPDined on 7/11/2014Fried clams excellent; basil soup excellent; veggies in gnocchi dish excellent; delicious salad w/apricots; great popovers; perfectly done trout; nice finish with the strawberry rhubarb cobbler. Courteous service. Nice, simple decor / ambiance. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- So goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014My first time here and it was right on the Mark. Great service, great food and it doesn't break the bank.Special Features:
- Farmstead Table TopsTomKDined on 7/9/2014Myh wife and I had dinner this week at Farmstead Table, our first visit to the restaurant. Very pleasant decor, warmly greeted at the door for our early (5:30) seating, and Beth was our server. I enjoyed a very good Ale from Martha's Vineyard and enjoyed the crispy clams, while my wife savored the fresh, hot popover. We ordered fish entrees, mine was the Halibut, Kathleen the rainbow trout. Both dishes were tasty, fresh and delicious. Beth provided excellent service, and we will return.!Special Features:
- A great findA2C2Dined on 7/6/2014We loved the decor, service and food! Always happy to discover a fantastic restaurant in such a convenient location. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM.ciaofpkDined on 7/2/2014i've loved Farmstead Table since they've opened. the food is consistently top notch and we enjoy our rapport with friendly owner and chefs Chad and Sharon. kid friendly too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service, location.Foodie007Dined on 7/1/2014This is my favorite restaurant in newton, and a fabulous excuse to stay local. Food is superb, service is always excellent, and I'm always seated on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmstead TableSusaninNewtonDined on 6/29/2014The service was very good and the restaurant is very pleasant with a summer feel. The fried clam appetizer and soft shell crab appetizer were fabulous. The rib eye not so much. It appeared to be barely broiled and not grilled. Very disappointing. The half portion of the pasta entrée was ridiculously small. A mixed review.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was impeccable. The way that all the flavors subtly played off each other was simply great. I must say the food was probably one of the best that I have ever eaten. Plus it's a rotating menu based on what is in season.Special Features:
- Great niteDarlaDined on 6/28/2014Great spot. Limited menu, but done beautifully. I had the pork tenderloin and it was delicious, my date had the fish special. Portions are on the smaller side, so plenty of room left for dessert.Special Features:
- Great Food/Great ServiceChuckDined on 6/28/2014The food was terrific and service friendly and proficient. The rib eye was outstanding and anyone who is a fan of strawberry rhubarb should check pout their dessert menu - just like grandma used to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmstead Table Newton CenteradmissionlotteryDined on 6/28/2014We ate early on a Saturday evening. By the time we were done, many tables were occupied. The menu is small but the choices we made to share: fish of the day (hake), gnocchi and an appetizer of scallops along with a glass of white wine were all excellent. The dessert menu was appealing even though we did not choose to have dessert that night. Cost with tip was around $80.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite new spot close to homeTornado33VIPDined on 6/27/2014Numerous new local restaurants have been such a disappointment - have dined here on three occasions recently- ambience, cuisine and service all stellar! Our new local ( Chestnut Hill residents) go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014very interesting menu, delicious food, lovely atmosphere - highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Fresh, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014The food was delicious and it felt like we were eating a gourmet, home-cooked meal fresh from the garden. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- DeliciousOhewettDined on 6/15/2014We had a delicious brunch here. Everything was very fresh and the chocolate croissants were amazing.Special Features:
- Amazingly fresh and delicious foodsfoodiesVIPDined on 6/14/2014Amazingly fresh and delicious foods prepared and served with love. Outstanding place to dine !Special Features:
- zoefromNHDined on 6/14/2014Fantastic blend of ingredients for an unusual and fabulous dinner. Popovers were delish, but I wish they would have offered complimentary bread as well. Everything was prepared with thought and care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LetsEatOutDined on 6/14/2014Excellent Saturday brunch with farm to table fresh presentations. Make time to find parking. Or better yet the T stop is just across the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dinner at Farmstead!EllenDined on 6/12/2014Service was exceptional. Food and wine excellent. Have been there before and think it is a gem of a place. Highly recommend Farmstead Table!Special Features:
- Pretty GoodtruthtellerVIPDined on 6/12/2014Meets expectations. Good, not great. Like the local. But I'm a fussy criticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/12/2014It was expensive for a small portion and accompaniments. THere was no more chocolate tart which was disappointing since we were eating pretty early.