3721 Boston Street
Baltimore, MD 21224Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.farmsteadgrill.com/
- Phone: (410) 762-2100
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: open at 11:00 a.m.
Sat - Sun: open at 10:30 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Galen Sampson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from Farmstead Grill
Relaxed, locally sourced, everyday affordable and delicious, whether for a Monday night supper, a Thursday evening cocktail or a Saturday night celebration...that's the way it should be! Chef Galen Sampson serves a farm-to-table menu for lunch, dinner and snacks, seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farmstead Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (52)great for outdoor dining (41)good for groups (39)great for lunch (21)special occasion (20)notable wine list (20)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (15)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (8)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Always Great!MarylDined on 11/17/2014Restaurant was very empty for lunch. Not enough people know how wonderful it is! I had BLT with garlic aoili and my friend had the openface heirloom tomato and avocado melt. Both were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTastyDined on 11/15/2014This has been the best place we have ate since moving to the area a couple months ago. The food was excellent. My wife and I had the squash and onion soup, eggplant strata and brussel sprouts, and the vegetarian curry dish and a steak. We sat next to a group that was annoying, so other than that it was perfect. Definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night at the Farmstead GrillbmorefoodieDined on 11/15/2014Great table upstairs, little more private but still able to take in the ambience. Crab stuffed oysters and the duck confit rolls were a tasty appetizer before we both decided we wouldn't live without the BBQ Short Ribs, which just melted when cut, accompanied by slaw, cornbread and swiss chard. Too full for dessert, servers efficient and friendly, 4/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Live a few blocks way, had heard about the new restaurant opening up and was excited to check it out. Looked at the menu online beforehand and was very impressed/excited. Ambiance is fantastic - the build out is beautiful. Made a reservation for 7:45pm on a Saturday night. Waited for a while for a server, told him we were in a of a rush, he said it would likely take a while as they were completely full and the kitchen was slammed. Looking around there were a number of open tables. Drinks took absolutely forever - around 25 minutes. Food took around 80 minutes, much of it was missing ingredients or was screwed up. Most of it tasted good but took so long we could barely enjoy it. Felt as if we had ordered right as the kitchen was closing.Special Features:
- Slow service and overwhelmed staffdiningfansDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I went to the Farmstead Grill to celebrate our birthdays and we were disappointed. The service was very slow. Or first waiter took a long time to greet us and then left stating he had "family emergency". Our second waiter was a bit more attentive and he was apologetic about the slowness of the service. We had to ask for bread. When the food did arrive, it was mediocre. I had the salmon and my husband had the rockfish. When they brought the bill, it had full charges for everything. The manager then came up and offered to take off the drinks and offered to give us dessert. She apologized and explained that the kitchen got very backed up. Overall, the experience was just OK.Special Features:
- MontgomeryVIPDined on 11/8/2014Awful - lit like an operating room, felt like a Panera. Towson Univ. students were waiters and were completely unable to answer questions about foot or wine. Service was the worst and we waited for drinks, water, wine, appetizers, food, check WAY too long. Dreadful. Risotto was good, salads were good. Otherwise a total bust. Would never go back.
- Good food slow serviceMissyDined on 11/7/2014Service was slow but they made up for it by bit charging us for drinks or desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharappleVIPDined on 11/7/2014Although we had made a reservation, for some reason we were seated in the bar area. We didn't mind that, except for the fact that our waitress was also helping out at the bar... So our service was pretty bad. Took a long time for her to even come over to take a drink order. And it took a really long time for the food to get delivered. And when it did, it came out on phases...so I was waiting for awhile for my dinner while my husbands was served..not good. The food was okay... I can't say anything was horrible but none of it was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!BobMcKayVIPDined on 11/6/2014Terrific ingredients make terrific dishes, and these guys have nailed it. Menu is accessible but still very interesting. Had a good lunch, will return for dinner and bar.Special Features:
- Food subpar, service good.HankDined on 11/5/2014One of our entree's had to be turned back but the other was fair. Service was good and liked the 1/2 price wine on Wednesday.
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/31/2014We celebrated a special birthday dinner and had a wonderful experience. The restaurant is attractive, the service was attentive, and the food was exceptionally good. Chef Galen Sampson is at the top of his craft. The smoked oysters are my new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disorganizedBillVIPDined on 10/31/2014Interesting menu emphasizing vegetables at a Friday lunch, but they were out of the first two things we ordered. As an opener I ordered a tri-color carrot dish. It wasn't tricolor, just orange, but it was delicious. Overall the food was quite good. Our wait lady seemed new and apologized several times; pleasant enough. We'll go back in hopes that they have their act together next time.
- Never disappointeddisappointedVIPDined on 10/26/2014Galen Sampson continues to have a kitchen that can take everyday foods and transform them into gourmet delights. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Not something you would expect.....kMR929VIPDined on 10/25/2014in downtown Baltimore. The place looks like a big modern barn and the interior design is awesome. We sat at the bar which is a great focus point and the bartenders were super friendly and helpful. Menu is fun- the people sitting next to us said they come in once a week for the pan seared chicken with mashed potatoes and roasted turnips. It looked ammmazing but we opted for the steak and frites and the pork bbq sandwich- both were really really good. At first I thought the steak lacked flavor, but then I realized- it has plenty of flavor, it just wasn't being overwhelmed with salt or seasoning. All the food is from local Baltimore county farms which I really like.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentInnovativeDined on 10/22/2014Innovative, flavorful, and really really good. Have now been at Farmstead about 5 times, lunch dinners . Galen really succeeds.Special Features:
- Good but not great farm to tablekatie03VIPDined on 10/22/2014Fun new spot in Canton Crossing that has farm to table food. Salad, seafood, soup, chicken, lamb, beef... this place has it all..... but it all is just ok. We tried multiple items -- squash soup, a couple of salads, scallops and a fish and nothing was amazing. They were out of brussel sprouts too (how can you run out of a basic veggie side on a Wednesday night??) Half price wine was a nice feature though and the location is hard to beat with tons of shopping around the restaurant.Special Features:
- Always GreatMarylDined on 10/22/2014By the time we left, the restaurant was full; but, we got there early and had our spectacular server, Jackie, all to ourselves. I wasn't sure which chard to choose so she brought me samples. As usual, the food was interesting and wonderful. The team of chef, manager, servers are all working to make this place great and it shows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed UP!CookieVIPDined on 10/22/2014Friends had mixed reviews on this place, some said great, some said mediocre. So I decided to try for myself. Well, it was both! Service, mediocre. We were the first customers for our waiter who seemed to have just woken up from his nap and wasn't focused at all. Food, both. Short ribs, amazing. Pork, mediocre. Sweet potato cornbread, mediocre. Kale, amazing. French onion soup, amazing. Butternut squash soup, mediocre. There were 3 items on the menu that we tried to order, but all were not available despite it being a Wed. night at 5 PM! So sad. I will try again, perhaps for a lunch.
- yumyumDined on 10/19/2014This is my second time going. The first time I really enjoyed the food but this second time the coffee and soup both came out luke warm. The server didnt introduce himself or tell us specials. Just was not a positive experience.
- Great Concept - Potential StarNapmanDined on 10/11/2014. We ordered the stuffed oyster starter, the risotto with mushrooms the trout main course and pumpkin bread pudding for desert. Each was well prepared. The oysters were especially good. The risotto was delicious but not the classical preparation. More loose grained than creamy. We would have preferred the grilled trout to be more simple but was flavorful and moist. I liked the bread pudding even though my wife doesn't like pumpkin desserts.The service was cordial and efficient. We found the time passed quickly as each course was brought in a timely manner. I think the idea of farm to table with fresh ingredients is a wonderful concept and more mid-level restaurants need to be concerned about quality. Now focus on taking the next step.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentChrisVIPDined on 10/9/2014It is a decent place to go and the prices are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soGoodFoodHonVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was quite good but the wine pour was stingy. I suggest they either use a smaller wine glass or pour more then 3 ounces in a in the wine glasses they are currently using. I had a onion soup to start which was average but the fried eggplant dish that I had as an entree was excellent and my friend's beef and green bean dish was also well prepared. Our waiter was just ok, not great. I may or may not go back, was not overly impressed.Special Features:
- trying to turn the cornerGoOriolesDined on 10/3/2014Visiting mom, we decided to try this restaurant.Should have read the reviews, which confirmed my experience. Great concept with farm to table. Appetizer came out quickly and was good (stuffed oysters). Downhill from there. Waiter was very attentive, however there were problems in the kitchen and it wasn't waiters fault. 45 min wait for the 2 meals, rockfish was served raw on the inside, and noone who understands the restaurant business was running the front of the house. We were apologized to several times and had our appetizer credited to us, and ultimately had our desserts credited to us after the bread pudding came out cold (the dish was heated, wonder if it was microwaved).Needs Leadership but could be great. Won't return any time soon.
- Has potential!ArenaVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is a beauty of a restaurant! Our fish entree was yummy, nicely done! The appetizer autumn tart had an unexpected thick crust and was served cold, straight from the frig. Room temp or warm would have been tastier.Special Features:
- Nice, but nothing specialAlwayshungry4moreVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was good, but nothing outstanding. I didn't see anything particularly unique on the menu and the salmon I ate was fine, yet other area restaurants offer menu items with more flair and interesting flavors. Plus, I ordered a glass of red wine and I think it was the smallest amount of wine I had ever received. While I don't think you will have a poor experience at Farmstead Grill, I won't seek it out and will go elsewhere on the Canton area.Special Features:
- A Great Addition to CantonddesalezVIPDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant has only been open a couple of months, but it's quickly becoming one of our Canton favorites. There were a few glitches at the start, but now that they've worked them out, we can't say enough good things about this place. The vibe is warm and friendly. They really aim to please. The menu is creative and fresh without veering into pretentious territory. The wine list has something for everyone. Salads are generous and tasty. On our most recent visit the fish was cooked perfectly. The short ribs and steaks are just yummy. Canton has a lot of great restaurants, but Farmstead Grill fills a niche that previously we had to leave the neighborhood to experience. Not any more! We'll be back, and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galen Sampson does it AGAINdisappointedVIPDined on 9/20/2014We have followed Galen from Hamden Court at Baltimore's premiere hotel at the Inner Harbor, to Dogwood in funky Hampden (where we live), and now to Farmstead Grill. We were demolished when Dogwood closed. It was the star in the sky of our neighborhood. But now Canton has a star. The food is wonderful, perhaps better than Dogwood, but much the same, farm-to-table. Best of all is the open atmosphere in the restaurant and the possibility of dining al fresco, neither of which was possible in Dogwood. We will be back often, you can be sure. Bon chance, Galen!Special Features:
- CheeseburgerCaryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Grilfriend compained that her $14 cheesebergerr was dry and bland. Otherwise, I was happy with my crab cake appetizer, salad and fries.
- Hit a bad service nightElectrobufDined on 9/13/2014After being told that there was a 45-60 minute wait without a reservation, I walked outside, accessed Open Table and had a reservation for 15 minutes later. The service was polite but it was obvious that either the kitchen or wait staff was severely under-staffed. My partner and I waited 45 minutes with just water being served. Our dinner was finally serviced over 1 hour and 45 minutes after our arrival. We would have to snag our waiter from time and time as we watched him race around the dinning room. Hoping that service improves, I might take a chance on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2d visit, still great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014We loved the food at Farmstead Grill, so we went back again, in part to see if we could determine why the Baltimore Sun's reviewer didn't like it. Once again, we're puzzled -- the food and the menu choices are outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant without reservation, and I would advise our local paper to get a new food critic.Special Features:
- AK86Dined on 9/5/2014It's new, so they get the benefit of the doubt, but the food entirely missed the mark. The main course took 45 minutes, the fish was overcooked and dry. (I had the Rockfish, my girlfriend had the trout, and they were both overdone) The drinks were good and so were the scallops - Thank goodness.Special Features:
- Best farm to table in Canton!FarmytotableatitsbestDined on 9/5/2014Great fresh food, outstanding presentation. Delicious! We had a party of 7 and all were awed by the selections. Desserts were scrumptious too! Superior service. This will be our place of choice for employee gatherings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food well doneEatingWellDined on 9/4/2014The kitchen know how to take quality ingredients , and come out with a higher level of taste. The chesapeake chowder is one example of a great soup, rich, and flavorful and just the right seasonings. The mains that we had fish to meats- had excellent veggie accompaniments and we all became members of the clean plate club. A great addition to Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014Fabulous Food, Superb Service, Delicious Desserts Made For A Wonderful Dining Experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entirely enjoyableExcellentVIPDined on 9/2/2014Somewhat unexpected to find such good food in the middle of a shopping center. The unattached building is beautiful and airy and the menu is interesting. Food is well prepared, and wine list is good. It is so nice to be able to park easily at a good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent farm-to-tableSarahDined on 9/1/2014I could probably live on the bacon popcorn/peanuts and mac and smoked bleu cheese. I had a spectacular apple cocktail and the garnacha was delicious. I think our waiter may have just been having a bad day, but the somewhat strange service certainly didn't tarnish our experience or the delicious food! I appreciate that many menu items include the farm from which the ingredients were sourced. Will definitely be returning, can't wait to see what you'll have in the fall!Special Features:
- Highly recommend trying!Quel0217Dined on 9/1/2014Amazingly yummy&healthy lunch with the hubby :) Tried the shack on Satuday morning and was a little disiponted though...online menu was NOT what they had, and prices were much higher then the online menu as well. Had orded the B.C.T. Biscuit & tomato was missing as well as paying $9 instead of the $5 menu price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanieDined on 8/31/2014Dinner selections are interesting and delicious. Easy and free parking. Excellent happy hour food and wine.Special Features:
- FarmFreshPaPaVIPDined on 8/29/2014First try was a hit...interesting food...all extremely fresh and well prepared...the waitstaff was well trained...the bartender was outstanding (going out of his way to make my drink the way I liked it. Prices are fair...soft crabs were some of the best we had this season...the other choices were enough to have us trying to decide when to return.
- highs and lowspesceXtarianDined on 8/29/2014The food was alright; my boyfriend got a fish dish that was terribly bland and gave him a stomach ache later in the evening, but my dish was pleasant. A friend with us got the summer curry, which was delicious. There was a local band playing outside that was pretty stellar for the Friday night mood, but a little loud for conversation -- though we could've sat inside if necessarySpecial Features: