Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
7871 River Rd
Forestville, CA 95436Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farmhouseinn.com/restaurant-0/
- Phone: 7078873300x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Thursday - Monday: open 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Steve Litke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
Nestled in the heart of the Russian River Valley wine region, the "country-chic" Farmhouse is a Michelin One Star (*) restaurant, a top Zagat reviewed restaurant for the entire San Francisco Bay Area and has been a San Francisco Chronicle's Top 100 Restaurant four years running. Chef Steve Litke offers "sublime" seasonal California-French cuisine showcasing local, artisan ingredients. Maitre d', Christopher Fohner ensures Farmhouse's signature "pampering", "knowledgeable" service, as well as overseeing the ever-changing array of local and international artisan cheeses, served tableside. Wine Director, Geoff Kruth has assembled a "top-notch" wine list, of world-class wines, emphasizing the finest gems of Sonoma County. The Farmhouse also offers luxury accommodations for those who feel inclined to extend the experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Forestville ›
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (64)romantic (62)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (10)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- ImpeccableSteveoDined on 8/24/2014Fantastic service, wonderful food. All the ingredients for a special eveningSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experienceFoodAuntDined on 8/11/2014Either three or four course prix fix with wine pairings. Absolutely wonderful food, knowledgeable wait staff in a pleasant setting. The five of us shared and tasted a number of plates and there was not a disappointing item on the table. Bravo to the Inn and their staff. A special thanks to Charles and Allyson.Special Features:
- skipdesertDined on 8/10/2014The dinner was superb, the desert was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014Another wonderful experience at the Farmhouse. We decided last minute to try for a spot at our favorite wine country restaurant. The dining room was full but Christopher graciously accommodated our foursome in the lobby area and took excellent care of our table himself. The food, as usual, was sublime but it is the warm and professional service that keeps us coming back. One is left feeling like a treasured friend rather than a guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmhouse InnWeEatWellDined on 8/8/2014We had a fabulous meal. The service & ambiance are excellent. The food is fabulous! My sister has eaten in all the finest restaurants in San Francisco, Washington DC & Europe where she lived for many years & The Farmhouse Inn is one of her favorites!Special Features:
- Another great mealDonfVIPDined on 8/7/2014Farmhouse Inn gets it all right. Food, ambience and service are excellent. However this is definitely not a place for kids. No matter how well (or not) behaved their parents think they are, it is a mistake that has consequences for the rest of the diners. Adult dining at its best, so leave the kids at home with a babysitter.Special Features:
- Top Choice for DiningfuzzcheeksVIPDined on 8/4/2014We've eaten at a number of Michelin-starred restaurants in the area, and the Farmhouse is one of the best. It offers really delicious food in an unpretentious atmosphere, and the portions are more than ample.
- sonoma starneofoodieDined on 8/3/2014A tempting menu of delectable selections made the ordering process difficult. the very knowledgeable wait staff helped us out and his enthusiasm for each of the dishes infected us anticipation. it was a casual setting but presentation was spot on - elegant, tasty, and true to their theme, all of the food seemed fresh out of the ground or water. we knew salmon were running in the bay and ordered it -- WOW! the chef did it justice. ditto on the pork - one of us felt it was the best pork he'd ever had. thumbs up to the chef and crew at farmouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 7/31/2014FABULOUS in all respects!!! There were 3 of us for dinner but I will only give you my choices: The Farmhouse BLT salad, Halibut and the Apricot soufflé. Portions are small but when the food is great one does not need large portions and you feel very satisfied not stuffed. Of course with vineyards all around the area, the wine was superb. Would we go again, YOU BET!! Remember that this is not one of your low priced eateries. My dining companions loved their meals as well as I did.Special Features:
- Top 5phoodieDined on 7/28/2014It's going into my "top five meals" list; bumping off a big Vegas name. Ask for Charles to serve you. He's great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAnushaDined on 7/26/2014I'm not sure who gives the Michelin start rating, but for my husband and myself this wasn't it. We were seated promptly--took about 10 mins. for our server to acknowledge us. The best part about dinner was the dessert - we both ordered the apricot souffle-- absolutely wonderful! My husband had the four course with wine paring--I had the three course with wine paring. We both decided we have had more exciting meals at half the cost in other restaurants.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2014We were disappointed in our meal at The Farmhouse Inn. The food was quite good, although no options for vegetarians - my husband does occasionally eat fish and he had no choice here but to eat fish. Our main complaint was the service. We were seated promptly and our orders were taken, but a full 50 minutes passed before the amuse bouche arrived, followed by the first course. The rest of the meal came out at a good pace, but it is disappointing to finish your wine before any food arrives! The temperature in the room was stiflingly hot - warm day and ineffective air conditioning. In all, felt we paid a high price for a forgettable experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014This was the second time dining there and every bit of the high expectations were met. All choices of food and wine for my wife and I were really great; service was highly attentive...a perfect dining out evening!Special Features:
- Impeccable.Some1ntkchnwdinerDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food. Supreme service. Attentive staff who absolutely did not rush us, but who materialized when anything was needed. Interesting food, beautifully prepared.Special Features:
- Delicious!!BEbeDined on 7/18/2014If you're into amazing food paired with great wine, this will be your new favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- RossiDined on 7/11/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner here. I am sorry that we had not come to the Farmhouse earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place for Special FriendspetergDined on 7/11/2014This is a perfect place to have a special dinner with that special friend. The menu has both a few perpetual favorites and seasonal specials. The next time, I'm going to ask Charles to pick my four-course dinner. The wine selection is excellent which includes some of our favorite locals. I suggest asking the sommelier for guidance.Special Features:
- An evening to rememberIRunToEatDined on 7/10/2014We celebrated our 33rd Anniversary at the Farmhouse Inn. The service was top notch and the food was superb. They even had menus printed for us that said Happy Anniversary at the top. Perfect place to celebrate any special occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely place on River RoadJoseph1Dined on 7/7/2014A lovely dining experience capturing the Russian River ambience and using local wines, cheeses, vegetables and seafoods and meats in a creative and wonderful waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Farmhouse InnJanessDined on 7/3/2014I think it's not an exaggeration to say that dinner at the Farmhouse Inn rivals the best restaurants anywhere in the world. The setting is beautiful, the food is spectacular, and the service is attentive without being overbearing. My husband and I have our birthday dinners there each year, and the evening begins with a menu printed personally for us (our name at the top). From appetizer to dessert, the tastes and presentations are exceptional. I can't recommend it highly enough.Special Features:
- Some dishes were greatbayarearesVIPDined on 6/28/2014I took my husband there for his birthday dinner. We both ordered the 4 course prix fix, he had the wine pairing. The first couple of courses were good, the pairing was fine, mind you, almost all French and Italian. Thought we're in Sonoma! About 1/2 way through dinner, the restaurant started getting busy, and things started deteriorating. The wine pairing started lagging in timing, coming considerably after the dishes were served. Then my sea bass came, it was overcooked and chewy. I told the waitress, and she said she can have the kitchen prepare another piece, but not before she educated me that sea bass is a chewy fish. Really? Finally the bill came, they charged us 2 wine pairing! They did fix the bill after I pointed it out.Special Features:
- Near perfectioncrowsneststerDined on 6/22/2014I recommend the wine paring, four course meal at the Farmhouse. All courses were delicious and well-paced. They had me especially with the summertime green Gazpacho with crab tower. Prices? No more expensive than a fine meal anywhere. $300 for two.Special Features:
- Michelin Star Well-DeservedRepolloLindoDined on 6/21/2014Went looking with a friend for something special, found a delightful dinner. Exterior is unassuming, but signage is helpful. Interior is tastefully appointed and quiet with very friendly staff and spacious seating. Temperature was fine, overall ambiance pleasant. Had a 4-course meal with sommelier's pairings. Food was positively exquisite - particularly the Rabbit and the Blenheim Apricot Souffle. Pairings complimented well. Our waiter (Dylan) did a fabulous job and was very knowledgeable and passionate about the food. Expect to pay as one would for a Michelin-star restaurant, but, in my humble opinion, expect to be utterly without regret. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Beautiful and Delicious FoodCeeceeVIPDined on 6/20/2014I love how they use such seasonal and delicious food and don't overfuss with it. They let it be so the natural flavors come out. Thanks for putting lots of vegetables on the plate.Special Features:
- MediocreTexasTravellerDined on 6/19/2014I am all for a leisurely evening meal, but there was a 20 minute wait from the time we finished our first course to the main course. Since there was only 2 of us, this was an excessive amount of time to wait. Service between all courses was slow. We also ordered coffee, but we ran out of cream after the first cup and no one came near us in order to ask for more. The restaurant did not appear very busy and we were the only ones in the dining room the last half hour. Staff was very nice, but could have been more attentive. Didn't get to taste our wine first even though we went on the waiter's recommendation and no one asked if my steak was cooked properly or if we needed anything else, just dropped the food and walked away.Special Features:
- Farmhouse Romantic MealFranklinDined on 6/16/2014After getting married at San Francisco City Hall earlier in day, we ate dinner at Farmhouse Inn and enjoyed a tasting menu with wine pairings. Staff were competent, knowledgeable and professional. Food and wine were excellent! A wonderful, romantic way to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transproted to Franceopentabler7VIPDined on 6/16/2014I thought I was at an exclusive country inn in France-Absolutely the finest dining experience-service was perfect and friendly and the dishes and wine pairing just superb. I was unprepared for the level of each detail throughout the meal. That this place is just north of Santa Rosa-truly unique and beautiful dining room. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable EveningDeniseDined on 6/13/2014We dined here for our five year anniversary. Charles, our waiter, was fun, informative and very professional. Allison, the sommelier, was outstanding. She paired wines for each course and was right on each time. She was a joy to talk with and recommended a great winery, Wind Gap, which was also outstanding. The food was superb and the whole evening was magical. We will definitely be back for another anniversary celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art as FoodFoodandWine26Dined on 6/9/2014We brought our own bottle of wine, but I suspect, given its location, that the Farmhouse has an extraordinary wine list. The service was impeccable. The ambiance was subdued, lovely and charming. The food was in modest proportion and included clever, unexpected pairings of flavors. I was particularly pleased with the variety of dairy-free and/or gluten free options which were absolutely delicious. Presentation was superb.Special Features:
- MotikVIPDined on 6/7/2014Exceptional appetizers and deserts, solid main coursesSpecial Features:
- Beautiful restaurant in lovely spotFooooDDined on 6/5/2014Took my husband here for his 40th birthday. Upon arrival they had a menu with "Happy Birthday" printed on it. Nice touch! We both had the 3 course dinner. He had the ahi tuna starter, I had the scallop crudo. Both were ok, needed a little acid in both in my opinion. Second course husband had the steak- it was perfect. I had the rabbit 3 ways. Was good but I thought the loin part was tough, still tasted good though. The tiny rabbit racks were amazing. Last course he had chocolate/cherry dessert which he enjoyed. I had the apricot soufflé- we both thought the soufflé was better. The service was impeccable and the wine suggested by sommelier for me was a nice match. No cab's by the glass for husbands steak.. He ended up having Syrah instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyMarilynDined on 6/2/2014The food was excellent, well presented, and expertly served. This was a perfect celebration of our 52 years of marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!BHaleDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I stayed at the Farmhouse, while touring the Russian River Valley, and fortunately, got to eat dinner there twice. The food was wonderful. Our waiters, Jen on Saturday night, and Charles on Sunday night, were phenomenal. Each enhanced the dining experience with their extensive knowledge and enjoyment of serving great food. We had the wine pairings, too, and each of the sommeliers' recommendations were spot on. We also thoroughly enjoyed their gourmet breakfasts. Again, the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food but Missing SomethinMarinEaterDined on 5/31/2014This is a hard review to write. The food was generally very good (though I have to be honest and say the cherry fiz part of the cherry dessert was very odd and should probably be taken out.) I think in general the courses felt small and it was served a bit too quickly. With Prix Fixed menus, it's important that the meal last awhile and yet, because the prix fixe option was one appetizer, one entree, and a dessert and it was small and came out quickly, the place did not lend itself to a relaxing, lingering meal. We were out in about an hour. This is a hard review to write because I don't know how they can improve except to perhaps offer more courses (even if the price has to go up) so the meal actually feels worth the experience.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2014The service, delectable food, and ambiance all add up deserving a 5 star rating. Very personable servers! Michael Caine look -alike, not only knowledgeable ...but entertaining! A must for anyone visiting Sonoma County!Special Features:
- Great ImprovementGrandmaJaneDined on 5/24/2014We were regulars at Farm House until about two years ago when we had two unfortunate experiences with overcooked food and rude service. We decided to give it another try and were pleasantly surprised. The food was great and the service excellent. As always, the wine list is spectacular. We'll be dining there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceMarkieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Our second time at the Farmhouse and we were not disappointed. Fabulous cuisine and great service. The 'Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit', rabbit prepared three ways was terrific and is highly recommended. We went for the four courses with wine pairing and it was a wonderful dining experience. While not inexpensive, it is definitely worth it for a special occasion or if you have discretionary income.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulousFabulousDined on 5/19/2014This restaurant offers the highest level of food and service that I have ever found. The chef is imaginative, the wine pairings are well done, and the service is outstanding. What a womderful evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration678hulaDined on 5/12/2014My daughter, husband and I enjoyed the dinner we had at the Farmhouse Inn and Restaurant. This certainly a place that I will return for occasions and to bring our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good food, bit overpricedFranDined on 5/12/2014My first course was an avocado soup with bay shrimp. It sounded good together, but didn't quite meld. My entree, a potato crusted veal with a light Bernaise sauce, roasted asparagus, and Dungeness crab was quite good, very flavorful, and not too heavy, as you might think from these ingredients. My dessert, an apricot soufflé, was good, but not particularly inventive. We did not do the wine pairings, and I think we will go back and try the wine pairings, which I understand are excellent. I would have been much happier if the price had been $50-55 per person without wine, than the $70 price per person we paid. I'm willing to try again to see if they come a little closer to a bulls-eye.Special Features: