Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
7871 River Rd
Forestville, CA 95436Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farmhouseinn.com/restaurant-0/
- Phone: (707) 887-3300
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Thursday - Monday: open 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Steve Litke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
Nestled in the heart of the Russian River Valley wine region, the "country-chic" Farmhouse is a Michelin One Star (*) restaurant, a top Zagat reviewed restaurant for the entire San Francisco Bay Area and has been a San Francisco Chronicle's Top 100 Restaurant four years running. Chef Steve Litke offers "sublime" seasonal California-French cuisine showcasing local, artisan ingredients. Maitre d', Christopher Fohner ensures Farmhouse's signature "pampering", "knowledgeable" service, as well as overseeing the ever-changing array of local and international artisan cheeses, served tableside. Wine Director, Geoff Kruth has assembled a "top-notch" wine list, of world-class wines, emphasizing the finest gems of Sonoma County. The Farmhouse also offers luxury accommodations for those who feel inclined to extend the experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Forestville ›
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (83)special occasion (76)romantic (75)notable wine list (56)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- MEMORABLEMARGEDined on 4/21/2014From the minute we walked in we felt welcome. I was my birthday, they had the menu printed with my name at the top. What a delightful surprise. This is a top notch restaurant in every respect. Food was beautiful and tasty, The Chefs are out stand, the Service was over the top and at our beckon call, Beverages, wonderful wine list, sparkling water, what every you want. Loved the french bread and butter. 3 or 4 course dinner, your choice. I've driven past this darling place a ga-zillion times and it's been on my "Bucket List" for a long time. I will definitely will be back for another special occasion, as soon as I can create one. It was pricey, but that comes with all of the above.Special Features:
- Fine dining in an elegant settingMarieAntoineCaremeDined on 4/20/2014For our Easter dinner this year we chose the Farmhouse Inn Restaurant. Having just arrived from Paris we were weary and ravenous for a satiating meal. Each course was superbly prepared and poetically presented, savory, aromatic, featuring blends of textures and flavors that soared well above our expectations. The wine was wonderful. The service was prompt, courteous, friendly yet formal. We intend to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed farmhouse diningStickyriceDined on 4/20/2014Very intimate, homey restaurant with a view of the gardens. Service and food were impeccable in all ways. We particularly enjoyed the roasted quail, scallops crudo, and burrata salad as starters. Veal oscar and lamb with cumin carrots were hits for the entrees, but every dish received rave reviews. The apricot souffle was a light and original dessert. The menu includes many original choices. We enjoyed the thoughtful presentationsand unique flavor combinations. Kudos to the chef and staff for a memorable, unhurried dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding eveningwineBobDined on 4/18/2014Made reservations for a Good Friday special dinner. Was in the area for a special wine tasting at Martinelli. The restaurant was recommended and more than lived up to it's reputation. Inventive, tasty food combined with outstanding, friendly service made for a memorable occasion. The wine service via the sommelier was especially helpful and made the dinner extra special. I heartily endorse the restaurant and will make it a point to return next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super, but saltyFilippoVIPDined on 4/17/2014We had a very good three course dinner at the Farmhouse. My only complaint was the the quail was incredibly salty and I should have sent it back. The mushrooms with the steak were also too salty. The ahi, rabbit-rabbit-rabbit and the apricot souffle were extraordinary. I was also surprised that there were so many ingredients from far, far away. Tasmanian sea trout for example as the amuse. There is a very good wine list and the som is excellent. The wines are 3 to 3 1/2 times wholesale so that puts a bit of a damper on the experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerDMRamzDined on 4/13/2014We went here on Sunday night to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary and it was great. We were presented with menus that read 'Happy Anniversary' printed at the top. Very thoughtful. The restaurant is small, quiet and very cute. More of a cottage feel. Our server was a little short with us but he was attentive overall. The rest of the staff was very nice and helpful as well. We did the 3 course dinner with wine pairings. The only thing we weren't falling out of our chairs over was the dessert. They were definitely good but just not something we would have gone out of our way to order. All the wines we had were lovely. The octopus from the second course selection was absolutely to die for! Highly recommend that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dining eveningJorjiePDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I celebrated our 39th anniversary at the Farmhouse Inn Restaurant. It was special because my wife used to visit this property as a young girl when her aunt resided in the main house. Our visit brought back fond memories for her. The evening was better than we could have expected. The food was excellent and the entire staff very professional and quite friendly. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in SonomalifeisacabernetDined on 4/12/2014Three or four course P F meal, spectacular preparation and presentation. The rabbit x 3 is great, loin, rack and leg a house/chef specialty. This visit included an Easter egg radish cold soup and an asparagus over meyer lemon mousse for firsts. Allyson came up with some choice wine selections, an older for wine country, Sonoma Pinot complemented the entrees. Farmhouse is a worthy stop and slow dining experience. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-priced excellenceKarlDined on 4/11/2014We were pleased with every detail of our eating experience - the food and service was excellent - but the prices for food and wine were just too high. We can find an equivalently lovely, delicious and memorable dining experience at 10 different places in Sonoma County for half the price.Special Features:
- Perfect Anaversary DinnerJackoMcFoodieDined on 4/6/2014What a wonderful dining experience! - Food was amazing! - Beautiful plating with perfect portions. - The staff was polite, well educated on the menu and wines, and very efficient. - The atmosphere topped it all off with great floral aromas and garden views. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmhouse DiningBallerinaDined on 4/5/2014The cuisine was scrumptious with many unusual, experimental touches, the service impeccable and caring and the ambience Wine Country lovely. This is a perfect spot for special occasion and romantic dining. For my birthday we decided to try a place we had not previously experienced and were richly rewarded. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars for FarmhouseElizabethDined on 4/5/2014Fabulous evening! Incredible service and a truly amazing dinner. It is always a special treat to dine at Farmhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Quality FoodYobaltoDined on 4/4/2014Since we both like to cook, we seldom go out to eat. However, at the end of a day of hiking and wine tasting, it seemed like a good idea. We are glad we did. The food at Farmhouse was exceptional. The wine pairing was dead on. The service was just right, attentive but not intrusive. I highly recommend this experience.Special Features:
- Destintion Diningtravel2dineVIPDined on 4/4/2014The Farmhouse is one of favorite dinner destinations when in Sonoma/Napa for wine buying. The meals are beautifully prepared and presented with elegance. The ingredients are first class as well. We.ve had the same server and maître d' on each visit although the sommelier was new and not familiar with the wine book. We'll be back maybe two times next visit to wine country.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsRobERDined on 3/30/2014I was looking for Michelin starred restaurants in Northern California when I made the booking. I wanted to find out what one star means compared with one star in Europe. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not meet the expectations that I had - especially after the great restaurants that I had visited in San Francisco before. In a very traditional and formal setting, all of the courses that I was given, seemed to be rather "boring" to me - from composition and textures to presentation! The wine pairing was very good though and the service was attendative. For me, this is a good restaurant - but not a great restaurant!Special Features:
- wowed once againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2014Another wonderful dining experience at the Farmhouse Inn! The spring menu is an inspiration and the service, as always, was warm and professional without feeling intrusive. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014It was our first time here - and we were also staying at the Inn. The meal was outstanding from the food, to the service to the wine pairings suggested by the sommelier. My wife had the Rabbit and I had the lamb. If you haven't been - go. It's as simple as that.Special Features:
- Outstanding all roundIBsommVIPDined on 3/23/2014Seriously never had a more incredibly delicious succession of dishes served with such warmth and professionalism. Ive been here for dinner 3 or 4 times before, and it's getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect place in Sonoma CountyCleanyourplateVIPDined on 3/22/2014Farmhouse Inn just gets better and better. The food has always been great, and the wine list remains wonderful. In more recent times, the level of service has been raised -- there are more servers and the timing and choreography of the meal are better as a result. Standout dishes were the 23 hour pork belly starter and the loin of lamb entree. Octopus starter was also nice, as was the cured ahi (a very good-sized portion for a starter). The only thing I might change is adding to the menu the wines which will be paired with each course if the wine pairing option is selected. For one or two courses where the choice was tough to make, knowing the wine to be served might have helped with the decision.Special Features:
- Intimate food settingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014Excellent food and perfect wine pairings. Small intimate room perfect for conversations with your dining companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, what an awesome dinner!SteveDined on 2/28/2014Wife and I went for our anniversary. Our waiter was super, very knowledgeable about the entire menu and very helpful in deciding what to order. We decided on the four course dinner. Starters of ravioli and octopus were outstanding, and crab leg and scallop starters also wonderful. We had mains of squab and rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. The squab was outstanding, the rabbit delectable. The wine pairings were matched perfectly and at a very reasonable price. I wanted to go back the next day and try the rest of the menu! A little bit out of the way, but well worth the drive. Will definitely be back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place for special occasioExcellentVIPDined on 2/27/2014a so nice placeto have the dinner for our 30th Anniversary; the place is same old fashionned, but so charming, soft moment to have a break. soft cook, marvelous wine list with decent prices. maybe we will try a room next time. thanks, excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- One of the best dining experiencesPrudenceDined on 2/22/2014Not since we ate at Modern in New York have we had a dining experience to compare yet, this is it. It was my birthday and spin the reservation placed via open table I mentioned such. I was greeted by the host with HappyBirthday! Off to a great start, followd by every other sever that served our table with the same greeting, and Happy Birthday printed on my menu :). We both did the 4course with wine pairing and it was exceptional. The sommelier nailed every dish. The food itself was outstanding from each course to the next. Simply prepared, freshest ingredients, beautiful plates. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening!AnnieDined on 2/21/2014We celebrated my birthday at the Farmhouse Inn restaurant and had a perfect evening. The wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without ever being overbearing. The food was extraordinary and the wine pairings were perfectly matched. We loved it!Special Features:
- Good but not greatMattyDined on 2/16/2014We didn't dislike any of the food at this restaurant, but there was nothing that we loved either. There were some odd combinations like lobster and pork belly that just did not seem balanced or well thought out. The service was outstanding and the setting is absolutely amazing, but the food just did not live up to our expectations. Again nothing was bad, but nothing was great either.Special Features:
- Second chance...two4foodDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed the evening however...1) the noise is unacceptable for such a nice setting and turn the lights down a bit...other than that we enjoyed the evening together.Special Features:
- CelebrationJkoppelDined on 2/10/2014Our daughter was celebrating her 40th birthday with a trip to Sonoma County. This Farmhouse topped off the celebration. Service was impeccable. We brought our own local wine and enjoyed with. 3 course dinner. Amazing lamb shank for the main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unforgettable experienceSparrow57VIPDined on 2/8/2014This Michelin-starred restaurant/inn is located In a beautifully restored farmhouse, surrounded by forests, vineyards and gardens. The staff was friendly and the whole place was inviting. There was a 3 or 4 course seasonal prix fixe menu with a good number of choices per course. My husband and I ordered different things and tasted each other's dishes. Everything was superb with the black garlic fettuccine and rabbit as standouts. An optional wine pairing made it easier to sample from the extensive, reasonably-priced wine list. The sommelier was informative and willing to chat as much as we cared to. The restaurant is only open for dinner but if you stay at the inn, breakfast is included - another amazing treat. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experiencediner711VIPDined on 1/31/2014The food was wonderful and our wait staff were attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionRobbnJohnDined on 1/30/2014The Food, beyond perfection, The Service, attentive, but not fussy, Overall a Wonderful Experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The charming Farmhouse wasviewseekerDined on 1/27/2014The charming Farmhouse was an experience I had looked forward to for years, and after a friend had recently raved, I knew I had to take my husband there for a special birthday celebration. Unfortunately being a vegetarian meant that there were only 2 courses on the menu to choose from, both of minuscule proportions and flavor. My husband had a better experience, thankfully, and felt every coarse was quite good but not exceptional. What were exceptional were the wine parings, and although pricey, were the best part of the meal. Even better than the chocolate soufflé. Overall. . .overpriced and not memorable. No need to go back.Special Features:
- Gem along the Russian RiverSueDVIPDined on 1/25/2014Fascinating, delicious offerings presented with quiet elegance by warm, welcoming, thoughtful staff. Absolutely loved octopus (not calamari), monkfish, Valrhona chocolate soufflé. Interesting and not overwhelming wine list.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoritePennDined on 1/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Wine Country. The food and service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll eat here as often asmdr10281956Dined on 1/25/2014I'll eat here as often as I can afford it! Its great!Special Features:
- big city service in rural beautybluzgalDined on 1/20/2014absolutely one of the best meals I have had in the Russian River wine country. This restaurant, like many, has a seasonally changing menu, but this one does it better, with unique combinations of tastes and textures. Really a "fit for foodies" place! Very nice wine list, including some of the local region's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant RestaurantdininglizDined on 1/17/2014This is a great place for a special dinner. The Venison was delicious. I had marrow bones for the first time and enjoyed them very much.Special Features:
- Holiday dinner for twoRemeDined on 1/6/2014My friend and I celebrated a post Christmas holiday dinner on a Monday evening and it was a unique,wonderful experience. The three course dinner was outstanding. The main course my friend had was the eye of round and mine was the duck; both were delicious. The complimentary appetizer was a work of art . I highly recommend the lemon cake for a dessert. The dining room has a warm, comfortable ambience and the wait staff is friendly, professional and knowledgeable regarding the menu and wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantuser7367053Dined on 1/4/2014The food was excellent, the service impeccable, the ambiance - very pleasant and quiet. But I I found the menu to be a bit limiting and a game-y theme. I don't eat shellfish or game, so there were only a few things I could choose from. The waiter and chef were of course very accommodating. Because this is a top 100 restaurant in the US, I had very high expectations. Perhaps this is partly due to their wine list or pairing capabilities. The thing is that I don't drink wine with my meal and have dined in better restaurants, so, I would not call this a top-100 restaurant. Overall, the food was delicious and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of theTop Spot in Sonoma CountyOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/30/2013No question this place is right at the top of the list of the top dining spots in Sonoma. Everything about the place is great. The food is exquisitely prepared and each dish is accompanied by perfectly paired and interesting sides. Excellent service and a well chosen wine list, with excellent guidance from the attentive and knowledgeable sommelier make dining here a pleasure. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDSpecial Features:
- great way to end the yearAnneDined on 12/30/2013I have lived in Sonoma County for over 20 years but never had the opportunity to dine at Farmhouse Inn. We took advantage of their Price Fixed dinner for "locals" on Monday nights and it surpassed all my expectations. The food, service and ambiance were excellent.We would definitely come back on another night to experience all the choices on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.