25 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.farmerbrownsf.com/
- Phone: 4154093276x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Tuesday- Thursday 5:00pm - 10pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11 pm
Sunday - 5:00pm - 9pm
Brunch: Saturday - 10am - 2:30pm Sunday - 9:30am-2:30pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 5pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Soul food
- Executive Chef: Jay Foster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-Private room, adjacent to DJ booth. Seats 25 very comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Philly 4154093276x
- Entertainment: Live DJ’s and Jazz. HOT POCKET every Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: Whether its a small party or renting out the entire restaurant, we can work within your style and budget.
All-U-Can-Eat Brunch every Saturday & Sunday for only $21.95, and $16 in addition for the bottomless mimosas. The line includes Eggs, bacon, fresh biscuits, waffles, fried chicken, grits, granola, live music and so much more...
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Public Transit: Located on the cusp of Union Square and the Tenderloin, farmerbrown is convienent to reach by bus, BART (Powell Station is one block East on Market St.), and Muni.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Farmerbrown now offers secure paid parking directly adjacent to the restaurant. The rates for the lot are as posted and can fluctuate throughout the day.
A word from Farmer Brown
farmerbrown is about supporting local and African-American farmers, using organic, biodynamic, and/or sustainably raised foods, and beverages whenever possible. Our focus is Southern food, a gift that is often mis-represented. We love our food and want you to love it, too. Chef-owner Jay Foster (formerly of Emmy's Spaghetti Shack and BlueJay Cafe) is the creative force behind farmerbrown's unique take on soul food. Partner, Deanna Sison, a former cooking show producer, completes the team, bringing with her years of experience in the hospitality industry and a passion for food. Our philosophy revolves around providing the freshest possible organic ingredients for their wholesome southern American classics, presented lovingly to their local communities.This marriage of farm fresh southern cuisine with local Bay Area ingredients in a down home soulful atmosphere gives farmerbrown its unique vibe. From the entrees to the cocktails to the interior design, everything is hand-made!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farmer Brown reviews from OpenTable diners
- Last minute dinner Tuesday nightMackdaddyDined on 4/29/2014The jar cocktail I had was great and the snapper was absolutely brilliant. I was scraping the plate clean it was so good. I'll be back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Sunday BrunchUnclemabDined on 4/20/2014Great!!!!! Host welcomed us as if we had been there before, which he hadn't. The Jazz combo was great, you knew they wanted to be there. Server was spot on, friendly and very attentive. The food was such what we had expected, soulful souther and lots of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiters and WaitressesMaatDined on 4/13/2014The service was good overall but slow. They don't to your table after being seated in a timely matter. The takes a long time to come.Special Features:
- The best waffles I ever had!!!SheriKDined on 4/13/2014The Sunday brunch was amazing! The waffles were light, crispy and perfectly paired with the southern fried chicken. Hands down... The Best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very gooddoctorbDined on 4/13/2014Very good, especially for brunch, the buffet is very good with excellent fried chicken and bacon.Special Features:
- not what it appears to becam2eatDined on 4/6/2014fried chicken cooked well, no flavor, corn bread muffins size of a marble, greens were stems, mac n cheese was more pasta n cheese yams were dry, cup of gumbo, cat fish and baby backs were okay. Biscuit was the hi-lite wow! Overall just not impressive, surely wish it was!!
- Loved Farmer Brown!ElizabethVIPDined on 4/5/2014Excellent coacktails and great food in a hip, comfortable setting. Cool decor and art on the walls. Unexpected gem in the Tenderloin! Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soul food and funInkstopDined on 4/5/2014Delicious, well prepared food, ample portions and plenty of southern ambience. Staff is friendly and efficient and we will certainly go back for another excellent meal, and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but overpricedJohnDined on 4/3/2014I dined at dinner. For the purported quality of ingredients and what they charge for entrees I expected my cocktail and food to be more on-point. Elements of dishes were delicious but the overall impression was a lack of cohesion in both execution and service: my dining companion found a bit of foil in his pork chop and my steak did not reach the table warm. Also, my old fashioned was not properly mixed. Comparable higher-end Southern food can be found elsewhere in SF at around the same price but I don't have to worry about an uneven meal.Special Features:
- If only..EileenwestVIPDined on 3/30/2014the entrees were as good as the starters! Came here early before a show and ordered their angel biscuits and sweet potato steak fries as starters--we were both excellent--along with the virgin lemonade and iced tea (I want the recipes)! I ordered the pulled pork and my friend ordered the shrimp and grits. Waitress came and told me they were out of pulled pork. So, I changed to the fried chicken. It was good, but I'd just had better at another restaurant. My friends shrimp and grits was too much work--she knew the shrimp came with the heads on, but after fighting with two or three, she wished she'd ordered something else. Live and learn. I'll definitely go back for the biscuits, fries and drinks alone. Maybe they'll have pork back by then!Special Features:
- Great Brunch Great PriceJacatacDined on 3/30/2014Enjoyed really good fried chicken and other sides, Also purchased the bottomless mimosas, along w live music and a festive atmosphere. My friends and I really enjoyed Farmer Browns...Special Features:
- Updated soul foodlewwDined on 3/30/2014I love the brunch buffet - you can get a taste of lots of goodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the buffet for brunchstacieDined on 3/30/2014Enjoyed the buffet for brunch before going to see a show at the Orpheum. Relaxed place with good southern bent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the soulJanimarie78Dined on 3/29/2014We had 8:30 pm reservations for Saturday night and were seated promptly. This place was hopping! It took a while before our orders were taken, but after that service was fantastic. I had the catfish, which was delicious, though the yams were far too sweet and the hush puppies overdone. My man had the fried chicken and it was very good. N/A drinks are small and refills cost $$. The bourbon pecan pie was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before the WarfieldLynnDined on 3/27/2014We love to go to Farmer Brown's and most often do so before a show at the Warfield. It is just around the corner and is a delicious and fun restaurant in a neighborhood that is a bit dicy and hard to find truly great food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Soul food at its best!ManuteDined on 3/26/2014Met and exceeded expectations! The food was so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating too close to bandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014I enjoyed the food and the band was great, BUT we were seated at a table right in front of the band. We could not hear each other talk and left prematurely because we all started experiencing throbbing headaches. Not sure if we'll go back because the seating wasn't great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wanted to love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Bad table w reservation, no clear server, ok food ,very over cooked pork chop, ok hush puppies and no music which I heard was fun and funky...:-(
- Don't Bother Wasting Your TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 3/21/2014The staff are not capable of handling a busy night. We were ignored by bartenders and so it took 15 minutes just to get a drink. The host made us wait 20 minutes even though we had reservations. We then were seated at a table that was vacant when we arrived! After sitting down, we were ignored by the waiter for over 10 ten minutes. We finally got up and left the restaurant. We will never come here again and that makes me sad since I love their southern food!Special Features:
- not worth the hype.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2014went for the gilt city 6 course menu. Nothing on the main menu was on the special menu. The oysters were not tasty. They served a silken tofu gelee. when i asked what it was I got the response " i don't know, some kind of tofu". The pasta would have been good except it was smothered in a heavy bechemel sauce. The last course was good. It was seared scallops and beautifully prepared beef. When the bill came, I was shocked to see the tip and tax on the original price. I know to tip on the original price, but was shocked that they taxed the original price. When you buy something for sale, you don't get taxed on the original price. overall i will not be returning to this establishment.
- haven't missed yetlovemykidsDined on 3/18/2014each time i've been to Farmer Browns the food has been on point. Please don't change...love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePeterMDined on 3/15/2014We were looking for a casual experience with real good food and found it at Farmer Brown! Shrimp and Grits and Fried Chicken and Seafood gumbo were all "spot on". Good enthusiasm by all the employees there; it seemed like a tight knit group of people that enjoyed working with each other and didn't lose sight of what they were there to do (provide a nice environment for their customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good ChickenALauDined on 3/14/2014The food was pretty tasty overall, but I thought some of the dishes needed more seasoning. For example, the chicken was well battered and cooked perfectly, but I thought the chicken could have used a little more salt. I am definitely going to eat there regularly.Special Features:
- sunday brunchschmizzyDined on 3/9/2014the sunday brunch at farmerbrown is excellent. the sunday buffet has plenty of great options, the chicken and waffles are amazing and the catfish was so delicious. also they had a new jazz band playing that made the experience really great. awesome atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014Great food and even better knowing it supports local farmers!Special Features:
- Nothing specialKeepingitrealDined on 3/8/2014This place has a nice set up. Good food. Good service. Good. Good. Good. Not great or amazing. Unfortunately, I chose this place thinking it would be special but it really was not. In my opinion I did not get what I paid for. Would I come here again? Not any time soon but it was not a total downer so I will give it another chance. I am all for second chances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just average food. Bad service.AshleyDined on 3/4/2014I grew up in Charleston, South Carolina, so I know southern food. Farmer Brown's food was average and lacked a lot of flavor. The honey butter and cornbread muffins were amazing and the best part of the meal. The hush puppies were okay. Same for the fried chicken. The ribs tasted like they didn't have a rub that they marinated in. They just added sauce. The Carolina BBQ sauce was not BBQ sauce! It was honey mustard. The hostess was kind, the server never checked on us, and the bus boy was the best. I wish I could have given him the tip.
- Grown Out of Farmer Brown'sBreezyDined on 3/2/2014I've been going to Farmer Brown's for the past few years now especially for special occasions like my birthdays. The food, ambiance, and service has always been great. But just this past Sunday, that all sort of changed. Their food tasted a little different and way more salty than I remembered from the past few weekend brunches I've gone to. The price went up, which I know is usual every year for businesses. But overall, it was an okay experience. Maybe I've just grown out of the place. Always love the live music and hip atmosphere of the place, though! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graet BrunchDahairspotDined on 3/2/2014This was my second time here the first time I came with my daughter and grandson and it was cold drafty in all areas and not kid friendly. But on y second trip with friends it was excellent food was good waffles were way to hard but other then that it was good. The restaurant is still very cold and drafty so be sure to wear a sweater or long sleeves. They have great bar and the ambiance is cool they just need to make it more comfortable temperature wise for there guestSpecial Features:
- hot brunch in TenderloinSteveSFVIPDined on 3/2/2014Great brunch spot, loud and fun, at the edge of the Tenderloin off Market.Special Features:
- Disappointment for BreakfastFabulousNotFancyDined on 3/2/2014They called to confirm our reservation, but didn't say we'd get stuck outside in the rain with screaming, begging Tenderloin locals (we would have arrived later if told they are locked until 9:30 exactly). Ordered 2 English Breakfast teas, but she brings Earl Grey. We explain the difference to her. She is gone a long time looking, then comes back with 2 green & Early Grey. Have to ask for hot water refills. Have to ask staff to find her. There are only a few options other than the expensive brunch, so 2 of us decide on salmon. Out of that, too. We all order the skillet with different fixings. The eggs were good, biscuit was small & awful, home fries bland, & there wasn't much to it. Wouldn't go back for breakfast again.
- Will defintely return!MarieYFVIPDined on 3/1/2014I enjoyed the meal, the drinks and the scene - I'm looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, interesting decorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014Good food, interesting decor and ambiance. Be aware, it is quite LOUD by design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuff with one caveat...EastBayOldLadyDined on 3/1/2014We enjoyed the soul food....my husband had the fried chicken and raved about it. He was especially happy that they had nonalcoholic beer. I enjoyed the shrimp and crayfish jambalaya. They did one of those really nice little things....we were splitting a spinach salad (very good!) and they went ahead and put it onto two plates. My gimlet was ok, not great, but the Zin with dinner was good. The caveat: I know I am not the only person who has to have decaf coffee in the evening...they didn't have any. And, no, I didn't want tea. I'd still go back...but only if we were going to pass a coffee place on our way to wherever.Special Features:
- Ambiance✓ Good Service✓ Grub Food✓Angelgirl1133Dined on 2/28/2014Great dining experience! We will definitely be back. Nice, low lighting and cool ambiance. The music was loud enough to enjoy, but not so loud that we had to yell across the table (A rare find in SF these days). The staff was friendly & the service on point, esp. for a Friday night. There are many thing on the menu I have to try after loving the shrimp & grits. The seasoning was perfect, not overpowering and the shrimp were cooked perfectly. My date's only complaint was that he didn't have more chicken on his plate to devour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky BrunchDiva82Dined on 2/23/2014This place is amazing , the food is to die for, the energy is fabulous!!! and the Music....,.OMG The music is Great!, I have now been to the restaurant twice and I can't wait to go again with more of my friends, when my family comes to visit, this is where we are going for their Amazing Chicken & Waffles, Roscoe's better watch out, Farmer Brown's is where it is at!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice vibe!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014Near place for a hip brunch. The buffet was a good blend or healthy and typical southern fare. There was live music when we went.Special Features:
- Lost its sparkleJR322VIPDined on 2/21/2014We've been going to Farmer Brown for years. Though the food is still quite good, we both noticed smaller portion sizes and significantly higher prices. Not the meal value it once was. I mean $20 for 2 small pieces of chicken and sides is not worth it. And the Fried Okra appetizer seemed more batter than okra, with very little okra flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/16/2014This was our first time dining at Farmer Brown. Philly, the host, was the highlight of the dining experience. He is friendly & energetic. However our waitress lacked any enthusiasm or pep and was a low talker so it was really difficult to hear her in the noisy dining room. I watched as our entrees sat in the queue for at least 5 minutes until another server brought our food to us. Our waitress was too busy. The Mac and cheese lacked any flavor and the red velvet cake was extremely dry. I had high hopes, but would not go back nor recommend this restaurant.
- Not Wheelchair FriendlyblueDined on 2/16/2014Not friendly for wheelchair access especially the buffet line. The fried fish and the band were the best things of Sunday brunch, but overall a disappointing experience for a special occasion and for someone with special needs. Disappointing and tasteless the way we were asked to leave so they could accommodate a larger group, even though we were also paying customers celebrating a birthday... disheartening to be asked to leave especially after dropping over $75 for 2 people.Special Features: