3560 18th St
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.farina-foods.com/
- Phone: 4155650360x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am -3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm -10:00pm;
Friday, Saturday & Sunday 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo Auriana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Farina has its own sound system both in the main dining and in the private room.
- Special Events: Farina is available for Private Buy Out Events both for lunch & dinner.
A word from Farina
Farina brings to San Francisco the simplicity, elegance and style of the culinary tradition of Liguria, the Italian region that is home to Genova. Farina is housed in a 1951 wood-framed building remodeled with white tiles, old marble, custom steel fixtures and solid wood furniture with an 18 people community table. The main dining space is balanced by the free standing bar and focaccia preparation counters composed of antique hand-hewn Genoese marble sinks. Farina's careful research and passion for using the best of truly Italian ingredients mingled by executive chef Paolo Laboa, also from Genova, makes our menu offerings an authentic and pleasurable experience. At Farina you can admire the daily preparation of freshly homemade pastas, enjoying the tasteful “focaccia di Recco” while sipping a glass of Pigato wine or one of our specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farina reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (15)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (11)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Asked for the check three times!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Food was really good. Noise level was too much for me. Had to ask for check three times before there was any reaction; tip suffered accordingly.
- Not a fine dining experiencedonteatoutenoughDined on 10/10/2014The food was good although the service wasn't. For what we paid, you'd expect to receive the correct drinks on time. My friend's cocktail arrived after a long wait and was not what she ordered. The correct order then again came after a long wait. My glass of wine just never came at all... The food overall was good, but when you're paying $90 per person, they can at least make it a fine dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Italian restaurant in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/8/2014I love Farina, and I come back often. I am Italian, and I have not found another Italian restaurant in the Bay Area that is as authentic as Farina. It is pricey, but if you like Italian food the way it is made in Italy, it is worth.Special Features:
- Good food, service was just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014Ambiance and food were good. The waiter never came to check in on us after delivering salad. If he had he would have found out he gave us the wrong salad and we were out of water. It was an especially hot night for the City. Our entrees came about an hour after that. Waiter never came back to check in. The food was really good.Special Features:
- BAD! RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED!!!!!!!HorribleDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was closed but still accepted our reservation and published brunch hours. The fact they were closed ruined a ruinion of 12 friends.
- Great food, service needs workputigersVIPDined on 9/27/2014I've gone a few times, and my experience has been consistent - great food but sometimes uncomfortably long bar wait times. The level of service doesn't seem to match up with its pricing. I think their waitstaff may be inexperienced (not really knowing the menu and ingredients, etc, not too confident) and probably stretched too thin. Not a disaster by any means, and our servers have always been gracious and professional and enjoyable, just not too on top of things and the bar is realllllly slow. I would go back despite the difficulties getting drinks etc., because the food is really great. If they work out the service kinks and drop prices a tad, I think it could be really great.
- OverpriceddustyroseDined on 9/17/2014If Farina's menu prices were cut in half, I'd give it an outstanding review, but at the prices they've set, I expect far higher quality. The caprese salad tomatoes were mealy, the fried calamari was bland, the bread basked served dry with no butter or olive oil, the entrees were greasy and lacked the delicate flavor and subtlety I'd expect when paying these prices.Special Features:
- Still wonderfulSB18VIPDined on 9/16/2014Restaurant was surprisingly empty. Food was solid and service good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKfwfoodVIPDined on 9/12/2014Attractive restaurant with ok service and food. An acceptable option if you can't get in to any of the neighboring restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite!EnchiladaDined on 9/12/2014You must try the handkerchief pasta-- it is one of the best tasting foods I have ever eaten. Ever. The texture, the pesto, the lightness. And it's filling. Absolutely divine. If I ever have to choose a last meal, it will be this from Farina. <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pastaHauteCuisineVIPDined on 9/7/2014The homemade pasta (as in, the noodles are made here daily) is truly epic in texture and flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!2dine4Dined on 9/3/2014We went to this restaurant two years ago & remembered it being good.It was empty when we arrived at 6:00 & continued to be empty except for two other parties the entire time we were there.The food was so bad.The salmon vodka dish arrived looking like salmon out of a can w/ a runny sauce w/ no flavor.The gnocchi actually were pan seared on one side & had no brown butter sauce as it promised off the menu. There were 2 pcs of sage.Our waiter was pleasant enough.The manager was more interested in sauntering around the restaurant than connecting with his guests.The kitchen staff spent more time leaning on the counter outside of the kitchen that cooking.We will never go there again.Perhaps they are staying in biz by charging way too much $$$!
- Great experienceSanchDined on 8/30/2014Hi! We went for dinner at Farina. The service wAs excellent and the food was amazing. The portion are small but it is all worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceLDeMarDined on 8/30/2014Food was ok but not great. Including a bottle of wine, it was over $300 for 4 adults. I ordered lobster bisque and got lobster over pasta. Wait staff said the chef sometimes didn't understand English. Out of my first two choices in wine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I went here to celebrate our 7 year anniversary. We love this place! It's so delicious, the service is always great and the restaurant is beautiful. Highly recommend for a nice date night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisymootaroDined on 8/28/2014It was too noisy, couldn't converse and both of us had a headache when leaving the restaurant. Table setting is bad. Too dark in the restaurant so that we couldn't see the food in the dish to appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IndifferentMangiatanteVIPDined on 8/22/2014We were "greeted" by the hostess who's mind could have been in Italy, as she paid us little attention. Indifferently she showed us to our table, two tables from the front door, good thing we made a reservation. Then she walked away, did she say "have a nice meal" or smile, ahh, no. We did get bread and water, and then waited, and waited and waited. Our initial excitement about trying a new restaurant changed to a very uneasy, negative mood. We decided to leave, as we got up, our waiter showed up, finally. He was shocked that we would leave, we're shocked that he was so clueless. We've been to Liguria and the people there are very hospitable, not so at Farina. If you want great food in a friendly restaurant, go to Italy, not Farina.
- Italian yumminessweyrockDined on 8/22/2014First time walking to this neighborhood find. Our hostess showed us to a nice corner window two top with a great view of the restaurant. I had the gnocchi and my girlfriend had the papperdelle and both were lick your plate clean dishes. We shared the artichoke appetizer which was also very nicely prepared. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Mediocrity in abundance!OperaLoverVIPDined on 8/16/2014I had always avoided Farina because my foody friends had told me it had just average food and poor service. I was hoping that it would not live up to its reputation. Unfortunately, it was as bad as or worse than I had heard. We waited 15 minutes before a waiter even showed up at our table and the place was only 60% full. The waiter did the right thing and gave us 2 glasses of wine for free. If that was where it ended I would have been fine. However, exceedingly average out of box pasta dish we order was not inspiring and overpriced. Then we had to wait 30 minutes between the first entree and the second. It was a long and painful evening. How this place survives in a neighborhood with great Italian restaurants like Delfina is a mystery
- Big bucks for geat pastaeatwellDined on 8/10/2014The venue, the service is average, the menu is typical and classic Italian but limited and definitely doesn't have any creativity. I'll admit what they do is very good with excellent ingredients but at those prices there are plenty of better choices with great décor and outstanding service.
- fantasticgvirgiliDined on 8/9/2014Everything was delicious, but the mussels stood out the most. It's so hard to find mussels of good quality and are prepared well. These were perfect. We ordered a second helping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great home made pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Farina has great food, their hand made pasta is phenomenal. Service tends to be slow and takes time, not sure if it is intended. Wine list provides also a good selection opportunity. For a dinner where time is not critical it is a great restaruantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/5RealDined on 8/5/2014Appetizers were good. Service was unpolished, unprofessional and the entrees were very average. The dining room is very noisy. Many other restaurants in the mission that are much better.
- Worst SF restaurant experiencejenniferDined on 7/31/2014Unfortunately our visit to Farina was a bad experience. Food was less than average, the service was ignorant, lazy, distant. The waitress didn't know what ingredients the portions contained. A nightmare if you have a special diet. Farina – never again!
- The spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I've always love going to la farina love the food and restaurant will nv stop goingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long fall downSFDiningGuyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Farina was my favorite Italian restaurant in SF. The vibe was a great mix of locals, visitors, foodies, and people just out for a good night of quality food. The service was professional and friendly (if never warm or especially engaged). And the food was bliss: wonderful focaccia cheese melts, great appetizers, and sublime pasta. That has sadly changed. Last night will be my final time: surly and rude service, a white wine list that was half "we don't have that", a caprese salad I could have put together with fresher ingredients from Whole Foods, and a pasta that was uninspired. They were also out of a few desserts, so we got the cheese plate--with zero explanation of what we were served. Truly sad to see such a great spot fall so far.
- Unreasonably priceyPepperVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food is great, but quite frankly, you should never have to pay $25 for 5 ravioli. Party of 2: a shared focaccia, 2 pastas, tap water -> total bill $80+ before tip.Special Features:
- Good food-POOR ServiceGreggoDined on 7/11/2014It was a bad night for service at Farina - the food was good, but not outstanding. For the price you are paying it should be spectacular. Our waiter had no clue. For instance, we paid $66 for a bottle of red wine. The wine we chose needed to breathe - but the wine was never decanted for us, just brought to the table. During our meal, our wine glasses and water glasses were never refilled for us once by the waiter. Crazy! We had to ask for bread - every other table we saw got soon after they sat down. The food was good - but if I am paying $28 for a bowl of pasta it should be spectacular.Special Features:
- Could be so much betterRandallVIPDined on 7/11/2014The service was horrible and the food was delicious. Plate size for $28 pasta was absurd. I don't want Buca di Beppo size plates, but I'd at least like to be full when I leave the restaurant. The server was clueless, and took 15 minutes to come take our drink order. Then he came over and asked if he could take our menus and we hadn't even ordered yet. I will say the bust boy was working his butt off. This restaurant could be amazing with a few minor tweaks, but I doubt it will be around for much longer.
- Too priceyTamiVIPDined on 7/7/2014Unfortunately, I just don't think I'll come back to Farina. I love its ambience and pasta but the prices are really, really high. There are so many other options out there for great pasta!
- The following 1374 reviews are from the Farina reviews archive.
- Over Priced and No ServiceDingoDined on 6/30/2014This was the second time I had eaten at this restaurant and was disappointed yet again. The food was nicely presented and the portion sizes were generous, but the food wasn't that special to justify such high prices. The service was awful despite the restaurant not being busy. The staff hung about at the back of restaurant talking to one another. There was no condiments on the table, or wine glasses, or bread plates. No grated cheese was offered with the pasta dishes ordered. There was no follow up from the waiter on water or drinks. We basically did not get any sort of service. There are plenty of other restaurants to choose from with better food and better service.
- Sophisticated ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2014Everything about this place screams sophistication. the music not so much. The exquisite attention to detail, the ambiance, the food, the wait staff, the wine list, is what makes this restaurant stand out in a crowd of other fine Italian eating places. But what doesn't seem to be in sync, and maybe I'm showing my age, was the choice of music. It would have been much more in keeping with the general gestalt of the place if perhaps the music was authentic Italian - even Italian pop ....or anything but American top 10. Maybe opera would be nice once in a while.Special Features:
- Way expensive for what it isSteveSFVIPDined on 6/22/2014I'm not getting the hype. Quality of food is excellent, but this place is wasaay overpriced for what it is. Limited wine list. Bare tables and chairs. But $38 for a fish entree? $16 for an appetizer? The spare smbience certainly doesn't justify Nob Hill prices.
- One word: Mandalini!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014The mandalini are out of this world! A must eat! We've been a few times just to eat them!
- I found Farina mediocreouttodineDined on 6/13/2014Farina's is that in the range that is above average SF restaurant prices. However, the food is average. Not bad, not great. I didn't find anything creative or outstanding to warrant the prices.Special Features:
- Pesto Pesto PestoBeberegaleDined on 6/10/2014The almond pesto won a world-class award ... and well deserved! I have never been a lover of pesto, but this is superb. The noise level warrants mention. If you want to have a nice conversation, take it somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over SaltedeatoutwhenucanVIPDined on 5/21/2014One person in our party ordered a beautiful veal chop but couldn't eat it because it was extremely over salted. Everything else was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/21/2014A little pricey, we came very early and it was nice and quiet...noisy at the height of the dinner hour. Excellent service. Pasta with shrimp outstanding, salads good but do not vary enough from one another, zucchini flowers very good, very filling.Special Features:
- Good but not to die forCityfareDined on 5/18/2014We saw these guys featured on check please and were so excited to give them a try. Foodies will love their labor of love as bread past, everything is made by hand right there for you to see. It was good but lacked flavor. I don't know if it's due to the area of Italy that they come from. Service was good and they remembered it was our anniversary so they gave us a complimentary dessert-Which was the best tiramisu I have ever had! Quiet quaint place in a bustling neighborhood. Parking is not easy to find, so leave time accordingly . Overall my expectations were high but it was a very simplistic, meal with great service.Special Features:
- No lunch menuFrenchieDined on 5/18/2014I called to make sure their website was right when not mentioning a brunch menu and that they had their regular menu on Sunday and they confirmed it. That was a lie, they only served a very limited and rather bad Brunch !!!