3560 18th St
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.farina-foods.com/
- Phone: 4155650360x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am -3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm -10:00pm;
Friday, Saturday & Sunday 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo Auriana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Farina has its own sound system both in the main dining and in the private room.
- Special Events: Farina is available for Private Buy Out Events both for lunch & dinner.
A word from Farina
Farina brings to San Francisco the simplicity, elegance and style of the culinary tradition of Liguria, the Italian region that is home to Genova. Farina is housed in a 1951 wood-framed building remodeled with white tiles, old marble, custom steel fixtures and solid wood furniture with an 18 people community table. The main dining space is balanced by the free standing bar and focaccia preparation counters composed of antique hand-hewn Genoese marble sinks. Farina's careful research and passion for using the best of truly Italian ingredients mingled by executive chef Paolo Laboa, also from Genova, makes our menu offerings an authentic and pleasurable experience. At Farina you can admire the daily preparation of freshly homemade pastas, enjoying the tasteful “focaccia di Recco” while sipping a glass of Pigato wine or one of our specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farina reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (18)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- IndifferentMangiatanteVIPDined on 8/22/2014We were "greeted" by the hostess who's mind could have been in Italy, as she paid us little attention. Indifferently she showed us to our table, two tables from the front door, good thing we made a reservation. Then she walked away, did she say "have a nice meal" or smile, ahh, no. We did get bread and water, and then waited, and waited and waited. Our initial excitement about trying a new restaurant changed to a very uneasy, negative mood. We decided to leave, as we got up, our waiter showed up, finally. He was shocked that we would leave, we're shocked that he was so clueless. We've been to Liguria and the people there are very hospitable, not so at Farina. If you want great food in a friendly restaurant, go to Italy, not Farina.
- Italian yumminessweyrockDined on 8/22/2014First time walking to this neighborhood find. Our hostess showed us to a nice corner window two top with a great view of the restaurant. I had the gnocchi and my girlfriend had the papperdelle and both were lick your plate clean dishes. We shared the artichoke appetizer which was also very nicely prepared. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Mediocrity in abundance!OperaLoverVIPDined on 8/16/2014I had always avoided Farina because my foody friends had told me it had just average food and poor service. I was hoping that it would not live up to its reputation. Unfortunately, it was as bad as or worse than I had heard. We waited 15 minutes before a waiter even showed up at our table and the place was only 60% full. The waiter did the right thing and gave us 2 glasses of wine for free. If that was where it ended I would have been fine. However, exceedingly average out of box pasta dish we order was not inspiring and overpriced. Then we had to wait 30 minutes between the first entree and the second. It was a long and painful evening. How this place survives in a neighborhood with great Italian restaurants like Delfina is a mystery
- Big bucks for geat pastaeatwellDined on 8/10/2014The venue, the service is average, the menu is typical and classic Italian but limited and definitely doesn't have any creativity. I'll admit what they do is very good with excellent ingredients but at those prices there are plenty of better choices with great décor and outstanding service.
- fantasticgvirgiliDined on 8/9/2014Everything was delicious, but the mussels stood out the most. It's so hard to find mussels of good quality and are prepared well. These were perfect. We ordered a second helping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great home made pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Farina has great food, their hand made pasta is phenomenal. Service tends to be slow and takes time, not sure if it is intended. Wine list provides also a good selection opportunity. For a dinner where time is not critical it is a great restaruantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/5RealDined on 8/5/2014Appetizers were good. Service was unpolished, unprofessional and the entrees were very average. The dining room is very noisy. Many other restaurants in the mission that are much better.
- Worst SF restaurant experiencejenniferDined on 7/31/2014Unfortunately our visit to Farina was a bad experience. Food was less than average, the service was ignorant, lazy, distant. The waitress didn't know what ingredients the portions contained. A nightmare if you have a special diet. Farina – never again!
- The spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I've always love going to la farina love the food and restaurant will nv stop goingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long fall downSFDiningGuyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Farina was my favorite Italian restaurant in SF. The vibe was a great mix of locals, visitors, foodies, and people just out for a good night of quality food. The service was professional and friendly (if never warm or especially engaged). And the food was bliss: wonderful focaccia cheese melts, great appetizers, and sublime pasta. That has sadly changed. Last night will be my final time: surly and rude service, a white wine list that was half "we don't have that", a caprese salad I could have put together with fresher ingredients from Whole Foods, and a pasta that was uninspired. They were also out of a few desserts, so we got the cheese plate--with zero explanation of what we were served. Truly sad to see such a great spot fall so far.
- Unreasonably priceyPepperVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food is great, but quite frankly, you should never have to pay $25 for 5 ravioli. Party of 2: a shared focaccia, 2 pastas, tap water -> total bill $80+ before tip.Special Features:
- Good food-POOR ServiceGreggoDined on 7/11/2014It was a bad night for service at Farina - the food was good, but not outstanding. For the price you are paying it should be spectacular. Our waiter had no clue. For instance, we paid $66 for a bottle of red wine. The wine we chose needed to breathe - but the wine was never decanted for us, just brought to the table. During our meal, our wine glasses and water glasses were never refilled for us once by the waiter. Crazy! We had to ask for bread - every other table we saw got soon after they sat down. The food was good - but if I am paying $28 for a bowl of pasta it should be spectacular.Special Features:
- Could be so much betterRandallVIPDined on 7/11/2014The service was horrible and the food was delicious. Plate size for $28 pasta was absurd. I don't want Buca di Beppo size plates, but I'd at least like to be full when I leave the restaurant. The server was clueless, and took 15 minutes to come take our drink order. Then he came over and asked if he could take our menus and we hadn't even ordered yet. I will say the bust boy was working his butt off. This restaurant could be amazing with a few minor tweaks, but I doubt it will be around for much longer.
- Too priceyTamiVIPDined on 7/7/2014Unfortunately, I just don't think I'll come back to Farina. I love its ambience and pasta but the prices are really, really high. There are so many other options out there for great pasta!
- Over Priced and No ServiceDingoDined on 6/30/2014This was the second time I had eaten at this restaurant and was disappointed yet again. The food was nicely presented and the portion sizes were generous, but the food wasn't that special to justify such high prices. The service was awful despite the restaurant not being busy. The staff hung about at the back of restaurant talking to one another. There was no condiments on the table, or wine glasses, or bread plates. No grated cheese was offered with the pasta dishes ordered. There was no follow up from the waiter on water or drinks. We basically did not get any sort of service. There are plenty of other restaurants to choose from with better food and better service.
- Sophisticated ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2014Everything about this place screams sophistication. the music not so much. The exquisite attention to detail, the ambiance, the food, the wait staff, the wine list, is what makes this restaurant stand out in a crowd of other fine Italian eating places. But what doesn't seem to be in sync, and maybe I'm showing my age, was the choice of music. It would have been much more in keeping with the general gestalt of the place if perhaps the music was authentic Italian - even Italian pop ....or anything but American top 10. Maybe opera would be nice once in a while.Special Features:
- Way expensive for what it isSteveSFVIPDined on 6/22/2014I'm not getting the hype. Quality of food is excellent, but this place is wasaay overpriced for what it is. Limited wine list. Bare tables and chairs. But $38 for a fish entree? $16 for an appetizer? The spare smbience certainly doesn't justify Nob Hill prices.
- One word: Mandalini!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014The mandalini are out of this world! A must eat! We've been a few times just to eat them!
- I found Farina mediocreouttodineDined on 6/13/2014Farina's is that in the range that is above average SF restaurant prices. However, the food is average. Not bad, not great. I didn't find anything creative or outstanding to warrant the prices.Special Features:
- Pesto Pesto PestoBeberegaleDined on 6/10/2014The almond pesto won a world-class award ... and well deserved! I have never been a lover of pesto, but this is superb. The noise level warrants mention. If you want to have a nice conversation, take it somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over SaltedeatoutwhenucanVIPDined on 5/21/2014One person in our party ordered a beautiful veal chop but couldn't eat it because it was extremely over salted. Everything else was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/21/2014A little pricey, we came very early and it was nice and quiet...noisy at the height of the dinner hour. Excellent service. Pasta with shrimp outstanding, salads good but do not vary enough from one another, zucchini flowers very good, very filling.Special Features:
- Good but not to die forCityfareDined on 5/18/2014We saw these guys featured on check please and were so excited to give them a try. Foodies will love their labor of love as bread past, everything is made by hand right there for you to see. It was good but lacked flavor. I don't know if it's due to the area of Italy that they come from. Service was good and they remembered it was our anniversary so they gave us a complimentary dessert-Which was the best tiramisu I have ever had! Quiet quaint place in a bustling neighborhood. Parking is not easy to find, so leave time accordingly . Overall my expectations were high but it was a very simplistic, meal with great service.Special Features:
- No lunch menuFrenchieDined on 5/18/2014I called to make sure their website was right when not mentioning a brunch menu and that they had their regular menu on Sunday and they confirmed it. That was a lie, they only served a very limited and rather bad Brunch !!!
- A Splash of Italy in the MissionKristyVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went to Farina on Saturday night for special dinner and it was above our expectations which were already high. Our server was wonderful and the food was even better. We never felt rushed, enjoyed way too much food and had great conversation (in Italian) with our server. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- overpricedCandyVIPDined on 5/17/2014even tho mixed reviews preceded our dinner at farina, i had hoped for more. the service was fine, albeit with one very late entree, and the food was mixed at best. prices were very high - $28 for a plate of mediocre pasta - and i doubt we will return.
- dawgDined on 5/17/2014I would not recommend this restaurant. I dined at farina a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Dine again on Christmas Eve and was disappointed but decided to give it another chance. There are too many other good restaurants in the city to warrant a return visit by me.
- Menu IssuesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014The menu on the Open Table web site is nothing like the menu at the restaurant for dinner. The open table menu is pizza, which I was looking for. The dinner menu had not pizza and was very expensive. I suggest that they post a dinner menu in addition to the lunch menu (assuming this was the pizza menu). Pasta was very good.Special Features:
- Good food, bad service, expensiveLancerDined on 5/6/2014The homemade pasta is the reason to come here along with the hip interior design. Really expensive for what you get and not much service from any of the waitstaff.
- no hostess to seat guestsfdinerVIPDined on 5/2/2014The food was delicious, however when we first arrived there was no hostess to seat or greet us. A gentlemen came to answer the phone at the front desk and did not look at us our acknowledge we were standing there waiting for a table. Our waiter finally came over and sat our party. He was great and the food was too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1358 reviews are from the Farina reviews archive.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Way too noisy for my taste. Also in a small menu, they had run out of the fish dish by 9pm on a Sat. night. The hostess was very sweet, and apologizing that our table was not ready offered us prosecco drinks on the house. On the whole, it was more expensive, noisier and less delicious than we had hoped.
- Great food, but too expensive.nutsackVIPDined on 4/25/2014The title says it all. Farina is excellent, but you better be ready to pay and pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Excellent service, dynamic and interesting eats -- tough to go wrong. Pricey, but a value. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining service, great foodmtf419VIPDined on 4/19/2014While the food at Farina is still top notch, recent service issues have impacted the overall experience. Our party of six experienced empty water and cocktail glasses after the first round of drinks. When the credit card machine broke and resulted in a 30 minute delay, not accommodations were given (even a glass of wine or complimentary dessert would have been welcomed). If you do decide to risk it, anything with the almond or walnut pesto is a sure bet, as is the delicious foccacia de recco.
- Different menu than posted hereWinegirlDined on 4/16/2014The menu we read on OpenTable listed pizza, so we made our reservations and off we went. Unfortunately the pizza place is a completely separate restaurant on the corner of 18th & Valencia and doesn't take reservations. So to honor our reservation, we had some bread and some wine and then left to get the pizza we wanted in the first place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday dinner!AlexDined on 4/11/2014Been coming here for 5 years now to celebrate my birthday with a group of friends. Everyone is always thrilled and have turned newbies into loyal fans. Fantastic menu, service and a wonderful host -- thanks Emilio and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic failDicksonDined on 4/10/2014I had a friend infromout of town and thought Farina would be good.... I should have left at the first incident. Quite possibly THE WORST SERVICE I have ever experienced in a major (or minor) city. I was embarrassed.... from beginning to end, this establishment has no business being around.
- Major downward slideybrob24VIPDined on 4/6/2014We used to love this restaurant but something has gone wrong. It took over an hour after ordering for us to get our food, the food came at different times so many in our party had cold entrees as they waited for the rest of us to be served, the prices are ridiculous (especially the pasta and wine prices), and we got no apologies at all. There was an extremely loud party seated next to us which made it almost impossible for us to have any level of conversation - there were plenty of tables upstairs that they should have used for the incredibly loud group (about 10 of them). Overall a terrible (and very expensive) experience that will not be duplicated.
- Mission District delightEastBayAdventurerDined on 4/5/2014Farina has an excellent Mission District location, well-appointed restaurant with big windows, delicious and varied pastas, fish & veggie options. Reservation recommended, and it is loud because it's a full house. Staff can get less attentive because it gets so busy. 2 of 3 in the party found it a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleNhuvgifbjgxcVIPDined on 4/3/2014Salad was boring. Pasta was watery. Veal was bland. Massively overpriced. A terrible meal all around.