2028 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://farerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (267) 639-3063
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday, 11 am to 3 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday, 5 pm to 10 pm
Friday and Saturday, 5 pm to 11 pm
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday, 5 pm to 7 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 3:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Perry Katsapis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering for groups of any size.
A word from Fare Restaurant
Fare is a restaurant and wine bar located in the heart of the Art Museum area on Fairmount Avenue across from historic Eastern State Penitentiary and only a few blocks away from the Philadelphia Art Museum. Our cuisine can be described as clean, focusing on sustainable, local, organic, artisan ingredients with many seafood options. We also serve 10+ wines by the glass, as well as sustainable wines, 50+ craft beers and a novel cocktail menu. This restaurant was built with eco-friendly materials throughout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fare Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (23)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (12)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- PhillyfoodiePhillyfoodieDined on 11/15/2014Food was great for vegans vegetarians and carnivores! Server was attentive and mannerly. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visitPhillyJonesDined on 11/13/2014We had been eyeing Fare for a while in our neighborhood but hadn't tried it since the prices are a little steeper than our usual spots. We treated ourselves to dinner to celebrate a special occasion recently and were very pleased! Great service, cozy ambience on a cold night, and very good food. The menu has a variety of innovative, flavorful dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood vibe with great foodlexerdgDined on 11/9/2014The Crispy Tuna appetizer was delicious with great presentation. The flank steak was cooked to perfection with a generous portion and tasty potatoes and vegetables. The Chocolate Lava Cake with vanilla ice cream was perfection and ended an exceptional meal. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bananaDined on 11/7/2014Fare has a cozy restaurant vibe, the service was good; our waiter was very attentive and answered our questions. I was debating between the wild mushroom cakes and the seitan; the waiter suggested the cakes and they were very good. My friend ordered the salmon and I'll think I'll go with that dish next time I go back; looked really good!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Food was yummy but took forever even though restaurant wasn't crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSaraDined on 10/19/2014I had a date here a few weeks ago and it was fabulous! First, the service was great. My date was late and the waitstaff was very attentive while I waited. Once we ate, the food was delicious. I highly recommend the mushroom cakes. A definite must go restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fare is only fair... that's itEstroVIPDined on 10/18/2014I used to love this place. Gave it 5 ratings all the time. but what went wrong there? amateur service, ok food that is overpriced... small portions. went there with a group of 6 and service was not good. they made mistakes with the check and the card billing and it was a mess. the food was ok. the hummus is HORRIBLE! so some things were good and some things just bad. their drinks are still good. their bartenders need to get rid of their attitude though...Special Features:
- The Fare is a great restaurantRHL1066Dined on 10/18/2014Other than the noise level, which seems to be the norm nowadays, we loved everything about the Fare. Great food, excellent service, pleasant surroundings and well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very fine mealFairmountdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was our first visit to Fare, and we were very favorably impressed. The food was delicious, the service fine. Two of our party had the Caesar salad, which besides being delicious (you could taste the anchovies in the otherwise wonderfully light dressing), was surprisingly large; the calamari and shrimp appetizer was nicely sized, and the calamari tender, making it another fine dish. The seared tuna, grilled scallops and grilled salmon were all delicious, and the appropriately selected side dishes were nicely prepared as well. We were too full for dessert this time, but we'll definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient and delicious!junebug2020Dined on 10/11/2014Dined with a group of 6 people before going to the Terror Behind the Walls attraction at Eastern State Penitentiary. We had excellent service and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Very Nice MealKKScheidDined on 10/10/2014The only reason we gave this four and not five stars is because two people in our party had short ribs and butternut squash soup - OUTSTANDING. Really delicious (I tried several bites). The service was great... it was quite noisy, however... one member of our party sat across from two of us... he was unable to hear anything we said all night over the noise. My salmon was dry and overcooked... I'm used to wild caught coho or wild Alaskan... this fillet was pale and flavourless. The brussels with bacon that I ordered with it were incredible, however. Would return despite not enjoying the salmon.Special Features:
- A Great MenuQualityFirstVIPDined on 10/4/2014We really like Fare for its diverse menu offerings and vibrant neighborhood feel. The Blue Point oysters were spectacular - fresh, plump, cleanly shucked and properly chilled and served on ice. The Branzino was nicely prepared and delicious as were the scallops. Kudos for the crabcakes with avocado and kale salad. The pumpkin creme brulee was cakey but tasty and molten chocolate delicious. All in all, a very good meal at a reasonable price. Our server, Chuck, was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just a Neighborhood Find!MargieBVIPDined on 9/27/2014We visit Philadelphia on a regular basis and, although we are not located near Fare, it has become out go-to restaurant when in town. There is an extensive menu with vegetarian and vegan offerings as well as a variety of meat, fish and chicken dishes. All are well-prepared and reasonably priced. Tables are set far enough away from one another to afford privacy and the waitstaff is supportive. We look forward to returning and another terrific dining experience.Special Features:
- Second visit, won't go againAnodineVIPDined on 9/19/2014First time was at Saturday brunch -- grumpy and inattentive server; food was alright but nothing special to demand the price. Second time was at Friday dinner -- very slow service; nothing to nibble on while we were waiting; food was lacking in "love". The calamari were tired and cold, not crispy, the sauce had a thick skin. The crab cakes were a deep fried, flavorless mush served with stodgy rice. The octopus salad had little octopus flesh in comparison to octopus skin, and overall was way too salty. I have no idea why this has been rated so highly by other visitors. Sorry, but they need to do much, much better.
- Go to Place in FairmountDadmeisterVIPDined on 9/19/2014We moved to the Fairmount area in June. We have been to Fare four times. Anytime friends or family are in or a special occasion, we head to Fare. Service is great and the food is consistently good. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- NoiseFoodNotNoiseDined on 9/11/2014The restaurant itself, like so many, is too noisy for conversation. We lucked out in that they had just put up a tent outside that was unlighted, so no one else ate was eating there and we were able to enjoy our food without the stress of a noisy restaurant. The food was as good as it has been on prior visits and the service was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb eating experiencesimonpmDined on 9/7/2014Every dish the 5 of us had was excellent, well prepared and beautifully presented. The service was friendly, solicitous and efficient. The restaurant was nice and quiet making chatting possible without having to shout. We plan to return for more ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!cu4lunchDined on 8/27/2014Had a group go to Fare for lunch and had an excellent experience. Food was delicious and service was great. Would definitely recommend Fare and hope to dine there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Visit Did not DisappointDadmeisterVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were here for the first time for Brunch with friends about a month ago. We enjoyed it very much and returned for dinner. Food was excellent. We split two octopus salads among the three of us. Octopus was very tender and outstanding. My wife and I had crabcakes stuffed with avocado and my daughter enjoyed her scallops. We moved to the neighborhood in June and walked out of Fare realizing it will be our go to restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely outdoor areaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a great location for outdoor dining. Along the side of the restaurant, the space is decorated with vertical gardens on both sides. You are away from the traffic and the furniture is comfortable. The food is varied and tasty.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014I've been to Fare before, but this was my first time for brunch. The food was really good, as was the service. If I still lived in Fairmount, I would go there regularly for brunch -- much better than some of the popular brunch places in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Service was slow. Almost like the waitress forgot about us and the food came out cold
- The following 504 reviews are from the Fare Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great!AnniVIPDined on 7/16/2014I've been to this restaurant several times previous, but this time they had the patio and outdoor dining open. It was great! Ambience, Service, Food, Specials. Really had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Lunch/Dinner OptionMarjorieVIPDined on 7/16/2014All five of us enjoyed our lunch selections and the service was absolutely wonderful and accommodating! With many organic, farm-to-table choices prepared in an artistic fashion, we were very happy. Although the outdoor area was not being utilized at the time, it's landscaped beautifully with very attractive, vertical wall vegetation. I look forward to the opportunity to return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/14/2014The food was well-prepared; an excellent lunch. Also, it was very quiet, and just about the only restaurant open in the Museum area on Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchDadmeisterVIPDined on 7/13/2014We have recently moved to the Fairmount area of Philadelphia so are still exploring restaurants. We have never been to Fare and went there with friends from out of town. Excellent brunch. Service was great and food was outstanding. Plenty of options on the menu. Bloody Mary had a lot of horseradish which I consider a good thing. Vegetarian omelet was enjoyed by those who had it. I had the eggs Benedict which was very good. My wife and I left the restaurant convinced that we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY!merdealorsDined on 7/12/2014My bronzino was sublime! Very thin slices of lemon had been put inside the center of the fish, the flesh was then humid, not dry, and lightly flavored. I started with a perfect scallop ceviche. As a side, the spinach were some of the best I ever had, it tasted like good spinach, the produce flavor was not killed by too much of anything, like garlic for instance. I guarantee that you will love your food! BON APPETIT !Special Features:
- reviewerDined on 7/11/2014Great overall, but considering we made a reservation, we didn't get a very good table in a dining room that was half-empty when we got thereSpecial Features:
- My new favorite restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014We went to FARE to celebrate my birthday two nights ago and had a fabulous time! The food was out of this world (I highly recommend the gingered beet salad and avocado crabcakes), the wine was excellent and George's service was impeccable. We sat outside and were encouraged to relax and enjoy. George brought me a slice of the best blueberry pie I've ever tasted (with ice cream) for my special celebration. I would highly recommend this restaurant and plan on returning again and again, especially when we have out-of-town guests who want to have a true Philadelphia foody experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely outdoor brunchLuLuEatsDined on 7/6/2014Excellent menu with vegan options. Cocktail made with pineapple rum and coconut water was disappointing; I'll have to try a different drink next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty servicejillian0804Dined on 7/6/2014Have been here a few times for brunch. The food is good but the service has been spotty and inconsistent; we waited for almost an hour after ordering for our food the other day, while other tables who had arrived long after we did got theirs. Our waitress apologized and gave us a free hummus plate, which was appreciated (although their hummus isn't very good), but it was unclear what took so long. Don't come in expecting things to happen quickly.Special Features:
- Good octopusdm715VIPDined on 6/27/2014The drinks were not very good. I had one w gin and cucumber. The octopus salad was very good. Our server was friendly but busy and didn't come back too often and we had to wait awhile for the check. Lobster ravioli was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing outdoor seating!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014This is a great place for a night out with the girlfriends or even a romantic date. The outdoor seating is wedged between 2 brick buildings and is just very cozy. Perfect weather of course is a plus. Strip steak with chimmichurri and an Argentinian Malbec made for a perfect night! :)Special Features:
- The Right FitfdenthusiastVIPDined on 6/22/2014We needed a place for drinks and food in Fairmount and discovered the delightful staff and food of Fare. We were able to sit outside for hours in the area that borders the restaurant. My husband tests the bartenders everywhere he goes by asking for a Vesper and if they do know how to make it, how it rates. A+ for the bartender for the Vesper and for the Dirty Martini ordered by my friend. The Greek salad and the soft shelled crabs were wonderful. The soft shells were plump and plentiful, stacked 3 high and thoroughly enjoyed. We wanted to hang out even after finishing so I asked for a plate of cut up watermelon which wasn't on the menu and out it came, again, perfect and plentiful. The staff was terrific and so accommodating.Special Features:
- DeliciousjhebsDined on 6/22/2014They have a small menu but the food was very good. Everything we ordered had a great taste to it.
- Brunch with Heart-Healthy OptionsduckyDined on 6/22/2014This as our first brunch at Fare, although we'd enjoyed dinner there several times. Unlike much of the competition, Fare's brunch menu includes relatively heart-healthy brunch options - like the grilled chicken sandwich (where only the bacon adds a tinge of guilt). Our guests enjoyed the French toast, and the unusual apple ricotta pancakes. The cider selection was good, and the restaurant was unusually quiet on a slow Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceHungryHawaiinDined on 6/20/2014This was my first time eating at fare and the food was delicious. The service was friendly and we ate outside which was very nice.Special Features:
- phillyfoodnutDined on 6/17/2014We went to Fare on a Tuesday at 1:30. We were the only ones in the restaurant for the hour that we were there. The food all came out at once, but everything seemed fresh and made to order. There were complaints from our group that many items were too salty, but most of the dishes were flavorful and interesting. The flank steak wrap was to tough and the pieces were cut too thick for the delicate wrap. The scallop ceviche was delicious but could have used a few more scallops. The fish tacos were delish and the fries were to die!Special Features:
- JimboVIPDined on 6/15/2014Very nice. Will return. Great brunch spot. Outdoor seating was just rightSpecial Features:
- Father's Day BrunchkkatesDined on 6/15/2014We went to Fare for a father's day brunch. I chose Fare based on the menu options as we are gluten free and Paleo. Most brunches are heavy in breads, waffles, etc. Fare offered a number of omelettes and a grass fed burger with side salad. The turkey bacon and roasted sweet potatoes were delicious. They were busy (good for them) so there was a bit of a wait for food but well worth it. They compensated us for the wait with banana nut muffins (which my daughter could have).Special Features: