450 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 956-6969
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Saturday in the Jellyfish Lounge and Oyster Bar 4:30pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mark Franz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/riesling_week.html
A word from Farallon
At Farallon, Chef Mark Franz serves coastal cuisine with French influence. The menu changes daily depending on what's fresh. Expect exciting combinations and show-stopping execution.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Farallon reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (222)fit for foodies (202)romantic (171)notable wine list (148)good for groups (52)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (36)vibrant bar scene (28)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Last Friday I had two dozen different oysters for dinner, each opened perfectly, served at exactly the right temperature, and labeled so that i knew what i was enjoying. The best oyster dinner by far that i have ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- first rategeorge36VIPDined on 11/20/2014our dinner was excellent in every regard - food service winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farallon was excellent!DianeGDined on 11/20/2014Fantastic dinner, excellent service from our server, George, unbelievable decor and ambiance, and within walking distance of Union Square and the theaters on Geary. Farallon is a true gem!Special Features:
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/16/2014you cannot help but returning. great decor and service befitting a five star restaurant, wonderful food as always. from the amuse bouche to the sweets that come with the check: everything is flawless. many times, as this time also, a course neither ordered nor on the menu is given, compliments of the chef: last night it was a white truffle risotto, creamy and with shaved truffles (not truffle oil). simply greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/16/2014It took 3 tries to get good table when our reservation was at 6:00 on Sunday and restaurant was very empty. First we were seated under the stairs then by the open kitchen where we can feel the heat from grill. Mussel appetizer was over cooked and soup was salty. "Trio of Shellfish" entree was overpriced of small lobster and one scallop instead of dungeness crab. Sturgeon fish was very salty.
- Farallon Past Its PrimeblancegDined on 11/16/2014This USED to be one of our favorite SF spots. No more -- our visit was beset with issues and problems (emanating from the kitchen). Despite, at 5pm, being FIRST for dinner reservations and instructing the waiter we had to be OUT in an hr. and 10 min. to catch a show, the issues in the kitchen ruined our evening. Our shared beet salad wasn't offered to us with a spare plate, so I had to share it on my wife's bread plate. Our salad was done at 5:20 and we waited 25 min. watching our food sit on the heat rack and moved back and forth. At 5:45 when it was brought to our table, it was COLD! Back to the kitchen it went. At 6:00 the re-do was brought to us by general manager apologetic. We had to scarf it down in 10 min. instead of enjoying it. At 6:10, with the bill (reduced for our horrid experience) a lame attempt of offering a free glass of wine was laughable (knowing we had to make a show). We never got a chance for after-dinner coffee or dessert. Never again.Special Features:
- Overpriced!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014disappointed at the quality and quantity of the meal - seafood trio came with the tiniest lobster tail that was glued into the shell and impossible to remove, some teeny breaded shrimp which could have been picked up from safeway, and some weird rice soup dish that went uneaten my me and my friend. 70 bucks for 4 oysters, 4 shrimps, small bowl of tasteless shredded crab and little bit of lobster, seriously?? Do yourself a favor and go to red lobster, wayyyy better food. This is a tourist trap.
- Not as good as it used to beMsJudiYDined on 11/9/2014Had high expectations after dining here several years ago. We were all disappointed in the service and the food.
- Food is consistently goodpverduVIPDined on 11/9/2014Although I would always recommend this restaurant because the food is delicious and well-prepared. The only issue I have is with the service. Either they have a snoot attitude that is off-putting or they are laughably animated. Our waiter was the latter during our last visit. Really...all anyone wants is for you to provide good customer service, smile, take the food and drink order, deliver in a timely manner and stop it with the sweeping hand gestures and drama. You are a restaurant and not circus performers. Dinner drama can be found elsewhere in San Francisco and it is unbecoming such a fine establishment as yours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Highly recommended! Service was very good and the seafood was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THANK YOUReedsRumDined on 11/8/2014We had a wonderful time and the staff was very impressive! I noted that it was our anniversary and the Farrallon made it very special. I was only bummed because we weren't seated in the main dining room. :( But our booth was very romantic and again the staff was attentive and kind to us. Which made for a special night for us. THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantArunaDined on 11/7/2014We make it a point to eat at Farallon multiple times each time we visit San Francisco.. the food is always innovative and deeply satisfying. The service is great....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AMAZINGjcraraVIPDined on 11/7/2014Been coming to Farallon since it opened and it NEVER EVER disappoints.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backfussyfoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014We picked this restaurant primarily for its location, but now I know that it is worth traveling far to go here. Everything was fabulous. The restaurant is gorgeous and the service was exceptional. Three of us had the special bass and it was incredibly good; the portion was a good size too. My husband and I shared a wonderful salad and a great desert. The wine list is incredibly extensive. I had a glass of Grüner Veltliner, something that is usually not available by the glass. I don't know that I have ever rated a restaurant as outstanding, but the meal I had at Farallon deserves it.Special Features:
- honeymoon heavenHONEYMOONDined on 11/7/2014wonderful place with great care service that made our honeymoon very special HIGHLY RECOMMENDSpecial Features:
- Good Food butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014The food was good but the service was way to slow. We waited over an hour for our dinner. Server had too many tables to deal with and the kitchen was slow as well. Drinks were not filled as quickly as you would expect in a Resturant of this caliber.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseTexansncaliforniaDined on 11/6/2014We found this restaurant online and everything was perfect. We had a waiter that made excellent recommendations and had a sense of humor. The food, atmosphere, and service was all great. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceArciDined on 11/5/2014It was our first visit to Farallon, we were celebrating my daughter's visit from the Air Force. The room was electric with energy. To my surprise, the tables were full with diners on a Wednesday night. I was happy I had made a reservation. We were seated at a booth, allowing us to take in the whole room, the decor is amazing. We chose the five course wine pairing and were not disappointed. My daughter who is not a wine enthusiast; appreciated experiencing the aroma, flavors and character of each wine. The presentation of each meal was artistic. We will definitely be back. Thank you Farallon for making the night so very special for all of us.Special Features:
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/3/2014Expensive poor to mediocre food. Will not go back.
- Margaret GrahamMandMDined on 11/2/2014Very good 5 course set menu with wine matching - really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKseasonedeaterDined on 11/2/2014First time to restaurant after much hipe from local hotel people. GREAT SERVICE! Great Inside decor. Not so good food for a fish restaurant. The Beet salad was good, not worth the $18. One last note, the bar drinks were good. MJ adipSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinner...total glamLunaSnapsDined on 11/1/2014i took my husband here for dinner. We had 2 dear friends join us. Chef Ryan and his tram did an amazing job! The octopus dish rules, as does the charcuterie tray with the sushi twist! Yum! The wine list is diverse, well thought, with a Som that will pair till your palate drops to heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to Write Home AboutDior212Dined on 10/31/2014Eating food here is like listening to a monotone song. It holds a constant note, not too high and not off key; but ultimately it doesn't excite you or leave an impression. In a city like San Francisco, where new restaurants are popping up every week and pushing the boundaries of the culinary arts, Farallon is still a fair restaurant with solid food, but nothing innovative.Special Features:
- greatgsilesDined on 10/31/2014Great ambiance with excellent seafood. Joe was great with good knowledge and advice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood restaurantNordahlVIPDined on 10/31/2014The restaurant looks amazing and food is great! Small size portions of delicate food for a romantic dinner. The only disappointment was the cheese platter.Special Features:
- One issueOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/31/2014They don't refill soft drinks @ $5 per glass . Not a friendly gesture. So i just drink water. Been going there for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening made better!!!PaulFromParadiseValleyAZDined on 10/30/2014Just awesome! Get seated in the main dining room... best date restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FalkenFalkenDined on 10/30/2014The food was excellent and not heavy-fish cooked creatively. Service was fast and accurate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/30/2014We had heard great things about Farallon but we were underwhelmed with the food, especially for the price.
- over the topthomasVIPDined on 10/29/2014Noted for its fish, Farallon overdoes things. Every fish dish was gussied up & slathered in broth-type sauces to make them unappealing. Service was good & prompt even though the restaurant was crowded.Special Features:
- stevey9Dined on 10/28/2014WOW this is my favorite restaurants in San Francisco. Another wonderful dining experience. They seated us in a beautiful quiet boothSpecial Features:
- Romantic setting, and great foodchibi617Dined on 10/28/2014For a special occasion to share with your sweetheart, it is definitely the most romantic setting I have experienced in the City. The service is impeccable and the food is fine dinning at its best. I will always frequent the Farallon restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentGreybritDined on 10/27/2014An excellent and very high class meal. I had been expecting less - a quality meal with good ingredients - but got much more; perfectly cooked fish in creative dishes with superlative vegetable garnishes, I could have eaten these alone. Negatives? Slightly over salted pumpkin risotto and ahi sashimi cut too thin so that the citrus dressing overwhelmed it. Service was professional. Knowledgeable, informative and charming. One of the best meals my wife and I have had for a long time (and we eat at many starred restaurants).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014My wife and I had one if the most memorable dining experiences in a very long time. The restaurant has a very unassuming entrance that leads into a very aesthetic dining area with a variety of seating options. Our service was prompt but not hurried. The waitress made great suggestions. They have a great wine list. The best part was the presentation and quality of the food. We shared the shrimp appetizer(outstanding) but if we had a larger group the chilled seafood platter looked amazing from afar. The butter lettuce salads were just the right size with a tasty vinaigrette. My wife had the halibut and I the fillet. We shared both dishes and were equally impressed. The steak really melted in your mouth. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enchanted evening!moreyumstocomeDined on 10/25/2014Farallon delivers once again! My boyfriend and I enjoyed everything about our evening. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FarallonSFDinnerDined on 10/24/2014Great fine dining experience. I don't think I should be required to write anything more than what I feel is necessarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of San franciscoPattyDined on 10/24/2014Cadre magnifique carte excellente service impeccable très bon restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodRetiredinNJDined on 10/24/2014Celebrate my 60th birthday here and the four of us all had excellent meals from the Halibut to the Bronzino.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014From decor to service to food it was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasionp3rhinoDined on 10/23/2014Celebrated a birthday at this restaurant... at the time of our reservation we were promptly shown to our table, and the flowers that I pre-ordered through Open Table were properly pre-positioned. Overall, the ambiance, service, and quality of the food could not have been more outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.