450 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159566969x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Saturday in the Jellyfish Lounge and Oyster Bar 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mark Franz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/riesling_week.html
A word from Farallon
At Farallon, Chef Mark Franz serves coastal cuisine with French influence. The menu changes daily depending on what's fresh. Expect exciting combinations and show-stopping execution.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Farallon reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (226)fit for foodies (199)romantic (175)notable wine list (147)good for groups (54)hot spot (43)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (10)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The last time we dined here was in 2008. The food was great! This time we were extremely disappointed. My wife's fish was very salty. My dish was also salty and tasted a little weird. We felt that Farallon's cuisine has gone downhill and is just taking advantage of its Union Square location to trap tourists. The red flag was when I went to make a reservation on a Wednesday for a Friday dinner and there were open times. A good restaurant would not have many openings a few days before dining there. The services was excellent and the desert somewhat made up for the salty entrees. I hope the cuisine improves in the near future.Special Features:
- Open For Lunch!SFCAVIPDined on 10/15/2014I was alerted on Open Table that Farallon is now open for lunch after being close for several years. The menu is much smaller than it used to be. I had the arctic char which was good. The salad was lightly dressed which is so welcome as too often it is inedible in other restaurants who use a heavy hand on the vinegar. I can't remember what the dessert was called, panna cotta like, which was one of the best desserts I have had in a long time. Farallon is one of the most beautiful restaurants in the city. The underwater theme is apparent everywhere - tables, chairs, ceiling carpets and walls - a delight to see.Special Features:
- amazingnanookDined on 10/12/2014Great service and the food was amazing. I wanted good seafood and got great seafood. Highly recommend it !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Always enjoy our trips here. The service is friendly and not stuffy but outstanding. Great wine list and notably list of half bottles as well. The fresh seafood is amazing and the presentation of entrees are very creative.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoMaliaDined on 10/11/2014Wait service was knowledgable but a bit too hovering/attentive. I felt slightly rushed, to be fair my husband did not feel the same as I. Shrimp cocktail was perfectly cooked. The happy hour special is a good deal, we enjoyed a half dozen oysters and cocktails before our meal.Special Features:
- Major service problemMazsterDined on 10/10/2014We had a major server problem on this trip. We ordered the "Trio" appetizer and the waiter told us there would be a half hour wait because the cold station was really busy. I told him I didn't mind the wait and after placing the rest of our order he left and then retuned in less than two minutes informing us that the chef would not make the appetizer because he wasn't satisfied with the state of the seafood required for the dish. The couple at the table next to us were weren't seated after us and served before us. They received a dish contains the same seafood meant to be on the Trio. We demanded to see the manager and explained to him what had just happened. After apologizing he served us a "TRIO" with the addition of a fourth ingredientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsmejoDined on 10/10/2014Farallon has a nice atmosphere, but the food was just okay, the service was inadequate, and overall not on par with the very high prices. Waiter had an attitude and the service was very slow, missing at key times, and definitely not up to the standard you should expect for a restaurant in this price range. There are better options available in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$$$PDXFoodeeDined on 10/10/2014Food was beyond slow, the table next to us left before being served- the food was ok, but not worth the $$. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Farallon's a favorite!AnniversaryDinnerDined on 10/10/2014When I want to take someone out to a nice dinner in downtown SF (including me) Farallon is my favorite. Seafood extravaganza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farallongnts9rsDined on 10/10/2014The experience at Farallon is always excellent from service to decor and food.Special Features:
- MBJmbj29Dined on 10/8/2014Farallon is by far my favorite sea food restaurant in San Fran. If you only have time for a drink, it's worth your while to stop in and check out the Jelly Fish Lounge!Special Features:
- Sea-rene!cbrntrgrVIPDined on 10/6/2014Innovative preparations without masking the ingredients integrity are finely done by Farallon. Expert food and wine service throughout. Atmosphere is warmly classic but in tune with oceanic themes.Special Features:
- very pleasantsngwtmeDined on 10/5/2014loved the tomato salad and very interesting dessert choices. Birthday celebration noted and easy.Special Features:
- DisappointingEatingsfDined on 10/4/2014Food was meh. Service was ok -- the waiter was slightly condescending the whole time, but things only got really bad right at the end with the hostess, who was disrespectful and outright rude. We had paid for the valet with our cheque, but she insisted that we were wrong, then made us wait 20 mins while she checked. When she came back, she didn't apologize for the wait, and just ignored us. We asked what was going on, and she dismissively said "I've spoken to the valet. Have a good night." For a $400 meal for 2, this was not acceptable. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Steve HutchisonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Remarkable decor which we enjoyed, but will not be to everyone's taste. Really good efficient and friendly service. Food excellent and reasonably priced for the quality.Special Features:
- great dinner at FarallonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014great service, food and wine list. noisy table next to us, but nothing they could do about it, not their fault.Special Features:
- Decor and Food ExtraordinaryseekingambrosiaDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant is definitely worth the "splurge". From the fabulous décor. Jelly fish chandeliers at the bar and the main dining room, The Pool Room make you feel as if underwater. We started with the Grand Platter of shellfish on ice. Our table of four selected: Pan Roasted Petrale Sole, Seared Halibut and Grilled Salmon. All were perfectly presented and cooked. Our server was excellent and welcomed all our inquiries. This was an elegant dining experience.Special Features:
- Perfect birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The food was maybe even better than on our previous visits and it's unfortunate I don't remember our servers name because he was what I wish for in any server. I've only been there for big deal dinners in the last but I think I might go more often to enjoy top notch dining , it really was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Anniversary DinnerJeffmDined on 10/4/2014To celebrate our anniversary, we booked tickets to the theater and reservations at Farallon. The food was great. Started with raw oysters, moved on to seafood bisque and tomato salad. Amazing flavors. The branzino and petrale sole entrees were also perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. The service was 5 star and the ambiance was very relaxing and romantic. This restaurant is a must for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irose2tasterDined on 10/4/2014The server was Attentive, pleasantly informal and a real person. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- unusual bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014We go to Farallon when we travel to San Francisco over the past 10+ years and have enjoyed it in the past. This time our waiter was awful, he seemed to be mad that we brought in our own wine (which you still pay $25 per bottle corkage fee) and treated us as if we were bothering him. When I asked if there were any specials, he condescendingly told me that their menu is new every night and everything is a special. The back waiter who brought our food was extremely friendly and so was the busser. We were embarrassed because we brought our friends who are in the food and wine industry and the service made it difficult to enjoy our evening. The food didn't seem as good, but it may have been the waiter's tone which influenced that.Special Features:
- Finally!DonutDined on 10/3/2014I have wanted to go to Farallon for a while and it was worth the wait. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff were friendly,accommodating and helpful. The food was top-notch and the portions were perfect! I will not wait long to return.Special Features:
- zebraDined on 10/1/2014We were going to a play and one couple was late. They were wonderful in accommodating us. Good service and food.Special Features:
- FarallonPaulGDined on 9/27/2014Very pleasant experience. Great service, great food, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and great food.DISAPPOINTEDinLGDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday the other night and had a wonderful time. We both ordered fish entrees and the food was excellently prepared and tasted great. The service was very professional. We have been to Farallon a few times and will continue to back for special occassions.Special Features:
- Undersea DiningAccidentalReviewerDined on 9/27/2014Unique ambiance and undersea decor, with ceiling lamps like glowing jellyfish. Excellent service. This is one of those expensive restaurants that has unusual and tasty, but small, dishes. It can be hard to imagine what your dish will look like based on the menu description. The cheesecake desert we shared turned out to be little bigger than a half dollar. Still, it is a unique and memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comSimbradyDined on 9/27/2014As a weekly business traveler and weekend entertainer I eat out virtually every night. Farallon is one of the most outstanding restaurants I have eaten at in many years on several continents. On every scale – decor, food and service, it has the highest marks.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL FIRST DATE !CalandCathyDined on 9/27/2014After Motown, and a great walk up Market, what a way to complete the evening, with my new lady and my best friends.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FarallonSaturdayDined on 9/27/2014Excellent ambiance, extremely good food and wine. Expensive but highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToddDined on 9/26/2014We had a great business dinner with a party of 8, with outstanding food and service. Thank you!
- Always GreatFarallonfansforlifeDined on 9/26/2014We've visited Farallon at least 10 times. We took our out of town guests here as they wanted to have a nice dinner while they stayed in San Francisco. We scheduled late so we missed being able to reserve a seating in the large room over the old pool area. We love the big room as the ceiling is so enchanting. The servers are exceptional and go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and enjoy your evening. The explanation of the food and the effort to please are always best of class. Our food was delicious with all of us having a great appetizer plus one of the fish dishes. Definitely a great restaurant and not inexpensive but prices are aligned with their quality.Special Features:
- Service is top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014We were well taken care of and enjoyed our evening very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2014Perfect seafood. Truly one of the finest fish and seafood restaurants anywhere in the world for both the quality of the ingredients and the excellent preparation and presentation. And the servers are outstanding: Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the food (and the space as well); effortlessly and warmly efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellant choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Great spot. Very interesting décor. Meal was great and service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMorganGDined on 9/21/2014I had a great birthday dinner here with my boyfriend. Food was great, service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsDebsDined on 9/20/2014We dined here on a previous visit to San Francisco and had a wonderful experience. I'm delighted to say that our repeat visit was equally as good. The waiter was engaging and knowledgeable and the food was fantastic. Will certainly return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014I can see how people who have been celebrating special occasions over the years might like to return, but for us it was not a great experience. My salmon was grossly undercooked and the wait staff were very stiff/formal. With so many other great SF restaurants, I don't think we will return.
- Awesome!FlatDogDined on 9/20/2014We had a booth for two of us, the food was amazing, our waiter was excellent and I couldn't fault anything (apart from the small glasses used for cocktails!)Special Features:
- SamoanDinerDined on 9/20/2014We are foodies and we called our experience exceptional.Special Features:
- Don't go there for Celebrationsalt2033VIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary. I noted on my reservation the type of special occasion it was. I also called the restaurant to remind them. The service was uneven with a server pouring water into the half filled wine glass. The was no more wine left on the the bottle we had ordered and the restaurant did not open a new bottle for us to make up for the mistake. When they brought up the check I mentioned about if they got the note about our special occassion. At that time they scrambled and as we were getting up from the table, they brought up one scoop of ice cream half the size of a golf ball. I asked to talk to the Manager but he never showed up. Unacceptable!. Do not go to Farallon for any celebration.Special Features: