450 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159566969x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Saturday in the Jellyfish Lounge and Oyster Bar 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mark Franz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/riesling_week.html
A word from Farallon
At Farallon, Chef Mark Franz serves coastal cuisine with French influence. The menu changes daily depending on what's fresh. Expect exciting combinations and show-stopping execution.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Farallon reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (228)fit for foodies (185)romantic (175)notable wine list (147)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (43)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Don't go there for Celebrationsalt2033VIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary. I noted on my reservation the type of special occasion it was. I also called the restaurant to remind them. The service was uneven with a server pouring water into the half filled wine glass. The was no more wine left on the the bottle we had ordered and the restaurant did not open a new bottle for us to make up for the mistake. When they brought up the check I mentioned about if they got the note about our special occassion. At that time they scrambled and as we were getting up from the table, they brought up one scoop of ice cream half the size of a golf ball. I asked to talk to the Manager but he never showed up. Unacceptable!. Do not go to Farallon for any celebration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I went on my birthday, and was wonderfull, the waitress was very kind, and food was delicious, the best cheesecake ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a DelightBabsaribaDined on 9/16/2014Although we only make it over to Farallon from Marin about once or twice a year, we have never been disappointed. In this instance we were entertaining an important out of town guest, and his wife and we knew they adored sea food. As usual, everything was perfect. Our waiter was wonderful.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Food was excellent. The waitress, Layla, was tremendous, knowledgeable and personable. Some of the best seafood in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I heard it was a SF classic...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014I guess I can't say for sure since I have not sampled all of the restaurants in SF, but it was really good. I am here in business and we went here as a group. They were very accommodating of my last minute reservation change. The food was all really good. Desserts were very tasty too.Special Features:
- A MUST GO-TO PLACERudyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went to this place after reading a number of positive reviews to see for myself. It did not disappoint. The food was excellent, the service very attentive without being overbearing. The pace of the food was just right. I was seated by the bar so it was more noisy and less formal than the regular dining area. I was also next to a family with children. When dining alone, I prefer a quiet are where I can enjoy the meal and the ambiance . I enjoyed it so much that I made a return reservation 2 nights later but requested to be seated in the main dining room. I am looking forward to that.Special Features:
- Absolutely FabulousKMc12Dined on 9/13/2014This place has it all - outstanding food, impeccable service and wonderful ambience. I will make this THE spot for our special occasion dining experiences.Special Features:
- Among the very bestDarthdineDined on 9/12/2014Farallon is seafood restaurant located in the heart of San Francisco downtown few feet from union square. The ambience is energetic and as you enter immerses you in an atmosphere of deep sea. The menu is filled with a great combination of sophisticated courses. The service was outstanding and the wine list will please most people. You will need at least 1 one to two hours to dine at this place, so be prepared . The desert menu is delicious as well. It was a wonderful experience and as competitive as the restaurant business is in San Francisco , Farallon has a very respectable spot on the list of great places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Divine!TerriDined on 9/12/2014I was on a Girls Trip to San Francisco and we were told to try Farallon. I am so glad we did. It has to be one of the most beautiful restaurants I have been to in quite a while. Not only was it beautiful, the staff is superb. Our waiter gave us the history of the building and how the restaurant came into being. He even found out the name of the artist that made the "jellyfish" chandeliers and the huge "urchin" lights. Just gorgeous! He also made the best suggestions on the food and wine. We all enjoyed our visit and will definitely return to Farallon. We will also highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Top place to dineIdilioDined on 9/11/2014Both food and service were first class! The ambient was very classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014... but slow, and one of the courses was a little off, not the expected perfection. Additionally, there was some ordering confusion and I ended up with 3 courses when I only wanted 2...Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/20142nd visit to restaurant, after excellent 1st time. WHAT HAS HAPPENED !!!!! Travelleing for the UK. The booth I was given was facing the desert station near kitchen and not in main dining hall. I was told that all other booth tables had been filled. Unfortunately, this booth lacked atmosphere, apart from two waiters having a loud disagreement with each other at the serving station about which area they should serve. CHILLED LOUISIANA PRAWNS were over cooked, dry and hard. GRILLED HAWAIIAN TOMBO was cooked well but then tasted like a salt lick. Overall a very disappointing visit , with poor food and I will not be returning or recommending.Special Features:
- great food- spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/7/2014all the food was very good- service was spotty took along time to get drinks, different servers kept appearing and courses came one on top of another- like they were trying to turn the tables-
- Fabulous again and again!ginandtonicDined on 9/6/2014Our daughter moved to the city 8 months ago and is a foodie. She introduced us to Farallon awhile ago when she first moved to town. It is hard to go back to the same restaurant twice when we are only visitors and there are many great places to go. We have been back 3 times already and our friends that we have taken are going back when they get back to town! It was excellent and LOVE the ambiance and the service!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farallon May Be Past It's PrimeBuenoDined on 9/6/2014We have been to Farallon before and it was an exceptional experience. However, this was the second time in a row where we were disappointed by the food and drink. It is one thing to have a leisurely multi-course meal, it is another to have to wait while each course snails it's way from the obviously slow kitchen. Our appetizer, the Grande Platter, arrived quickly and set the tone for what we believed would be a normal pace for the evening. From there it was downhill. We filled on three refills of bread, and the wives finished their over-priced bottle of Frank Chardonnay before the first course selections of salad, mind you, made it to the table. Second and main courses finally made it, and had to send one raw salmon back. Won't be back.Special Features:
- love this placeyoshiloopDined on 9/6/2014nice atmosphere and service along with tasty and right amount of portion of the foods. bit expensive but depend on what you order.Special Features:
- FabulousQuartuchDined on 9/6/2014Great dining experience we all enjoyed food. Our waiter was wonderful service fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GabsaacVIPDined on 9/2/2014Excellent food, one of the best Seafood reataurants I have been to in a long time!! Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerFrankandTeresaDined on 8/31/2014The food, atmosphere and service were wonderful!! The maître d went out of his way to make the evening special. It was our 2nd wedding anniversary and I forgot to request the main dining room. He was able to accommodate us in that room. The staff and chefs provided an exceptionally nice evening for us.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJessicaDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and service. Only complaint is the table we were given. There is one too many tables squeezed in and it was difficult to get in and out of the seat in the section we were in, with no room to back up without bumping into the guy seated behind me. I'm a size 4 and I was uncomfortable squeezed in too tight with the table against my stomach. My 6'2" significant other was even more uncomfortable. If we were to eat here again I'd request a larger table (there are many). Seems like we had the worst seating. Maybe because we set the reservations as out of state tourists (who may never be back).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is very appealing, the food was excellent, and the service good, but I felt that I was pushed into ordering another course. He said the portions were small, but I am a small person and I know how much I can eat. If I don't have enough, I will order more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Everything about our experience was exactly right. The oysters were fresh and delicious, the prawns and soft shell crab outstanding. My halibut was seared and cooked perfectly. My wife's short ribs were tender, moist and delicious. Desert, raspberries and mousse, was great. Beyond that the service was impeccable. Dirty dishes disappeared as soon as they were pushed away, and the pace was sensitive to us. Never rushed,never waiting. The restaurant was arranged so that every booth had a sense of privacy and the noise level was very low so conversation was easy and relaxed. My best dining experience in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We received a gift card to Farallon. The dining experience exceeded our expectations. Linda, our server, was exceptional—friendly, responsive, and thorough. In fact, all members of the serving staff were attentive and accommodating. We felt welcome, comfortable, and appreciated. And we were certainly well-fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialdineinsfDined on 8/27/2014Good was pretty decent but nothing too special. Service was timely but the waiter was indifferent bordering on rude.
- The UnexpectedcatandbearDined on 8/26/2014What a setting! And the food and service were outstanding. Don't think many other places in SF do sea food as well as Farallon. Add to this the very exotic setting and you have the perfect recipe for a great meal and a great night out - whether just for a regular dinner or something more romantic. Truly a great find - thanks, Farallon staff! Here's to making this one of our continued destination eateries.Special Features:
- ExcellentMichaelVDined on 8/25/2014Overall and excellent experience, nice ambience without too much noise. The service was exceptional with lots of attention to detail. Food was very good, the starters being the highlight but all well prepared and presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit!desertdogDined on 8/23/2014The food was cooked to perfection, the presentation was appealing, and the unique flavors were absolutely wonderful. Plan on being here a while, enjoy every course, the oysters were especially tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JCECGEDined on 8/23/2014Just great in a aspects. We were there for a memorable evening ten years ago and ten years later we were s wowed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just ok....AwesomeScottVIPDined on 8/20/2014My girlfriend and I were travelling out west and decided to try Farallon on a recommendation. The restaurant itself is really beautiful. the service was very good. But the food was just ok, nothing very memorable or interesting. Almost like the chef saw all these great things at the market and threw them together. Just because you have ramps or purple potatoes doesnt mean they go with everything. Next time I am in SF will probably skip this one, too many other great spots.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dinner!showdinnerDined on 8/19/2014Arrived late due to traffic (we told the waiter we had a shw to get to) but we were served quickly and in enough time to make our show at the Orpheum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowwwwOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was great, but extremey over priced for the small portion sizes. The service was very slow. It took almost an hour to get our appetizers (which was from the raw bar, so cooking wasn't a factor). Given the prices and poor service, I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- farallonfoodfunforfattyDined on 8/18/2014loved it, cant wait to go back, a little noisy but good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully appointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Ambiance and decor was beautiful but admittedly I felt rushed during our dinner - a shame...Special Features:
- farallonhoipolloiDined on 8/16/2014Excellent everything. The setting is magnificent but does not outshine the food, which in this case is really saying something. Lots of tourists, of course, which is fine, but the concierge should tell them that in San Francisco, in a restaurant like that, people don't usually wear sweat pants.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Good service. Perfectly cooked fish. Will come back again.Special Features:
- A longtime between visitsTableHopperDined on 8/15/2014Our grandson, Eric, a foody was visiting from San Luis Obispo and we wanted a treat for him. He's been to Boulevard, his favorite, so we looked a Open Table's top ten, then added several more, Farallon won out with the most convenient Friday night reservation, made a week ahead of the date. Also, we thought he'd really like the decor. We arrived 25 minutes early, the host was great and had a booth for 3 set up immediately. Our server Joseph B., an ex-chef was our server. He was great, knew the menu, and could answer all of our questions, with a touch of humor too. The food was very good. Eric and I ordered the halibut which was prepared wonderfully. My octopus starter was excellent, though two more pieces for sharing would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable for a Romantic DinnerAgingLikeFineWineDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I came for my birthday. I recommend this place as a great spot for any special day/occasion between two people. Great spot for family/adults, even though I came as a kid. FOOD & DRINK: -Soft shell crab is a definite favorite -Cab Franc was a solid recommendation by our Som -Halibut served well -Shrimp cocktail was not what I had before Overall 4 Star: With that many servers, I should never have to fill my own water. Picky, but (for the price) I expect immaculate service from end to end. They should always double check their silverware before placing on tables between courses. My knife blade had fingerprints and some residue on it. Our servers positive attitude and knowledge of the menu and restaurant was nice to have.Special Features:
- No wonder it's still hereJeffHDined on 8/15/2014Excellent, interesting food served by an accomplished wait staff. That's what makes a restaurant a San Francisco institution. The mostly fish menu is creative, and they are willing to "go off the board" if necessary - substituting soft-shell crab for fish, for instance. Overall, a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Sat on balcony overlooking bar -mvh140Dined on 8/15/2014Downstairs restaurant would be preference but was very enjoyable. Tables are nicely spaced for conversation. A little too much salt on the salmon entrée but the lemonfish entrée was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The wait staff is supurb. Ambiance engulfs patrons. Be in the mood for fruits of the seas. Very conveniently located, near theaters, shopping, union square, vibrant San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.