450 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159566969x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Saturday in the Jellyfish Lounge and Oyster Bar 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mark Franz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/riesling_week.html
A word from Farallon
At Farallon, Chef Mark Franz serves coastal cuisine with French influence. The menu changes daily depending on what's fresh. Expect exciting combinations and show-stopping execution.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Farallon reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (236)fit for foodies (191)romantic (184)notable wine list (150)good for groups (49)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great ambiance and great food.DISAPPOINTEDinLGDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday the other night and had a wonderful time. We both ordered fish entrees and the food was excellently prepared and tasted great. The service was very professional. We have been to Farallon a few times and will continue to back for special occassions.Special Features:
- Undersea DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Unique ambiance and undersea decor, with ceiling lamps like glowing jellyfish. Excellent service. This is one of those expensive restaurants that has unusual and tasty, but small, dishes. It can be hard to imagine what your dish will look like based on the menu description. The cheesecake desert we shared turned out to be little bigger than a half dollar. Still, it is a unique and memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014As a weekly business traveler and weekend entertainer I eat out virtually every night. Farallon is one of the most outstanding restaurants I have eaten at in many years on several continents. On every scale – decor, food and service, it has the highest marks.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL FIRST DATE !CalandCathyDined on 9/27/2014After Motown, and a great walk up Market, what a way to complete the evening, with my new lady and my best friends.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FarallonSaturdayDined on 9/27/2014Excellent ambiance, extremely good food and wine. Expensive but highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToddDined on 9/26/2014We had a great business dinner with a party of 8, with outstanding food and service. Thank you!
- Always GreatFarallonfansforlifeDined on 9/26/2014We've visited Farallon at least 10 times. We took our out of town guests here as they wanted to have a nice dinner while they stayed in San Francisco. We scheduled late so we missed being able to reserve a seating in the large room over the old pool area. We love the big room as the ceiling is so enchanting. The servers are exceptional and go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and enjoy your evening. The explanation of the food and the effort to please are always best of class. Our food was delicious with all of us having a great appetizer plus one of the fish dishes. Definitely a great restaurant and not inexpensive but prices are aligned with their quality.Special Features:
- Service is top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014We were well taken care of and enjoyed our evening very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2014Perfect seafood. Truly one of the finest fish and seafood restaurants anywhere in the world for both the quality of the ingredients and the excellent preparation and presentation. And the servers are outstanding: Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the food (and the space as well); effortlessly and warmly efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellant choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Great spot. Very interesting décor. Meal was great and service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMorganGDined on 9/21/2014I had a great birthday dinner here with my boyfriend. Food was great, service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsDebsDined on 9/20/2014We dined here on a previous visit to San Francisco and had a wonderful experience. I'm delighted to say that our repeat visit was equally as good. The waiter was engaging and knowledgeable and the food was fantastic. Will certainly return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014I can see how people who have been celebrating special occasions over the years might like to return, but for us it was not a great experience. My salmon was grossly undercooked and the wait staff were very stiff/formal. With so many other great SF restaurants, I don't think we will return.
- Awesome!FlatDogDined on 9/20/2014We had a booth for two of us, the food was amazing, our waiter was excellent and I couldn't fault anything (apart from the small glasses used for cocktails!)Special Features:
- SamoanDinerDined on 9/20/2014We are foodies and we called our experience exceptional.Special Features:
- Don't go there for Celebrationsalt2033VIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary. I noted on my reservation the type of special occasion it was. I also called the restaurant to remind them. The service was uneven with a server pouring water into the half filled wine glass. The was no more wine left on the the bottle we had ordered and the restaurant did not open a new bottle for us to make up for the mistake. When they brought up the check I mentioned about if they got the note about our special occassion. At that time they scrambled and as we were getting up from the table, they brought up one scoop of ice cream half the size of a golf ball. I asked to talk to the Manager but he never showed up. Unacceptable!. Do not go to Farallon for any celebration.Special Features:
- Go4SeafoodDined on 9/19/2014Good seafood menu. Excellent service. Great decor and ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FestiveTravonDined on 9/19/2014Great decorations, food traditional. Sat up high and could see the whole dining sea. Wonderful
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I went on my birthday, and was wonderfull, the waitress was very kind, and food was delicious, the best cheesecake ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dldaveDined on 9/18/2014Grossly overrated. Food was fair to good. Certainly not in keeping with prices. Restaurant staff seem to think they are far better than they are. This is at best a mid-range resstaurant that is overpriced.Special Features:
- Always a DelightBabsaribaDined on 9/16/2014Although we only make it over to Farallon from Marin about once or twice a year, we have never been disappointed. In this instance we were entertaining an important out of town guest, and his wife and we knew they adored sea food. As usual, everything was perfect. Our waiter was wonderful.Special Features:
- greatStocDocDined on 9/16/2014Food was excellent. The waitress, Layla, was tremendous, knowledgeable and personable. Some of the best seafood in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I heard it was a SF classic...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014I guess I can't say for sure since I have not sampled all of the restaurants in SF, but it was really good. I am here in business and we went here as a group. They were very accommodating of my last minute reservation change. The food was all really good. Desserts were very tasty too.Special Features:
- A MUST GO-TO PLACERudyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went to this place after reading a number of positive reviews to see for myself. It did not disappoint. The food was excellent, the service very attentive without being overbearing. The pace of the food was just right. I was seated by the bar so it was more noisy and less formal than the regular dining area. I was also next to a family with children. When dining alone, I prefer a quiet are where I can enjoy the meal and the ambiance . I enjoyed it so much that I made a return reservation 2 nights later but requested to be seated in the main dining room. I am looking forward to that.Special Features:
- Absolutely FabulousKMc12Dined on 9/13/2014This place has it all - outstanding food, impeccable service and wonderful ambience. I will make this THE spot for our special occasion dining experiences.Special Features:
- Among the very bestDarthdineDined on 9/12/2014Farallon is seafood restaurant located in the heart of San Francisco downtown few feet from union square. The ambience is energetic and as you enter immerses you in an atmosphere of deep sea. The menu is filled with a great combination of sophisticated courses. The service was outstanding and the wine list will please most people. You will need at least 1 one to two hours to dine at this place, so be prepared . The desert menu is delicious as well. It was a wonderful experience and as competitive as the restaurant business is in San Francisco , Farallon has a very respectable spot on the list of great places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Divine!TerriDined on 9/12/2014I was on a Girls Trip to San Francisco and we were told to try Farallon. I am so glad we did. It has to be one of the most beautiful restaurants I have been to in quite a while. Not only was it beautiful, the staff is superb. Our waiter gave us the history of the building and how the restaurant came into being. He even found out the name of the artist that made the "jellyfish" chandeliers and the huge "urchin" lights. Just gorgeous! He also made the best suggestions on the food and wine. We all enjoyed our visit and will definitely return to Farallon. We will also highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Top place to dineIdilioDined on 9/11/2014Both food and service were first class! The ambient was very classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014... but slow, and one of the courses was a little off, not the expected perfection. Additionally, there was some ordering confusion and I ended up with 3 courses when I only wanted 2...Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/20142nd visit to restaurant, after excellent 1st time. WHAT HAS HAPPENED !!!!! Travelleing for the UK. The booth I was given was facing the desert station near kitchen and not in main dining hall. I was told that all other booth tables had been filled. Unfortunately, this booth lacked atmosphere, apart from two waiters having a loud disagreement with each other at the serving station about which area they should serve. CHILLED LOUISIANA PRAWNS were over cooked, dry and hard. GRILLED HAWAIIAN TOMBO was cooked well but then tasted like a salt lick. Overall a very disappointing visit , with poor food and I will not be returning or recommending.Special Features:
- great food- spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/7/2014all the food was very good- service was spotty took along time to get drinks, different servers kept appearing and courses came one on top of another- like they were trying to turn the tables-
- Fabulous again and again!ginandtonicDined on 9/6/2014Our daughter moved to the city 8 months ago and is a foodie. She introduced us to Farallon awhile ago when she first moved to town. It is hard to go back to the same restaurant twice when we are only visitors and there are many great places to go. We have been back 3 times already and our friends that we have taken are going back when they get back to town! It was excellent and LOVE the ambiance and the service!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farallon May Be Past It's PrimeBuenoDined on 9/6/2014We have been to Farallon before and it was an exceptional experience. However, this was the second time in a row where we were disappointed by the food and drink. It is one thing to have a leisurely multi-course meal, it is another to have to wait while each course snails it's way from the obviously slow kitchen. Our appetizer, the Grande Platter, arrived quickly and set the tone for what we believed would be a normal pace for the evening. From there it was downhill. We filled on three refills of bread, and the wives finished their over-priced bottle of Frank Chardonnay before the first course selections of salad, mind you, made it to the table. Second and main courses finally made it, and had to send one raw salmon back. Won't be back.Special Features:
- love this placeyoshiloopDined on 9/6/2014nice atmosphere and service along with tasty and right amount of portion of the foods. bit expensive but depend on what you order.Special Features:
- FabulousQuartuchDined on 9/6/2014Great dining experience we all enjoyed food. Our waiter was wonderful service fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GabsaacVIPDined on 9/2/2014Excellent food, one of the best Seafood reataurants I have been to in a long time!! Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerFrankandTeresaDined on 8/31/2014The food, atmosphere and service were wonderful!! The maître d went out of his way to make the evening special. It was our 2nd wedding anniversary and I forgot to request the main dining room. He was able to accommodate us in that room. The staff and chefs provided an exceptionally nice evening for us.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJessicaDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and service. Only complaint is the table we were given. There is one too many tables squeezed in and it was difficult to get in and out of the seat in the section we were in, with no room to back up without bumping into the guy seated behind me. I'm a size 4 and I was uncomfortable squeezed in too tight with the table against my stomach. My 6'2" significant other was even more uncomfortable. If we were to eat here again I'd request a larger table (there are many). Seems like we had the worst seating. Maybe because we set the reservations as out of state tourists (who may never be back).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is very appealing, the food was excellent, and the service good, but I felt that I was pushed into ordering another course. He said the portions were small, but I am a small person and I know how much I can eat. If I don't have enough, I will order more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Everything about our experience was exactly right. The oysters were fresh and delicious, the prawns and soft shell crab outstanding. My halibut was seared and cooked perfectly. My wife's short ribs were tender, moist and delicious. Desert, raspberries and mousse, was great. Beyond that the service was impeccable. Dirty dishes disappeared as soon as they were pushed away, and the pace was sensitive to us. Never rushed,never waiting. The restaurant was arranged so that every booth had a sense of privacy and the noise level was very low so conversation was easy and relaxed. My best dining experience in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.