450 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159566969x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Saturday in the Jellyfish Lounge and Oyster Bar 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mark Franz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/riesling_week.html
A word from Farallon
At Farallon, Chef Mark Franz serves coastal cuisine with French influence. The menu changes daily depending on what's fresh. Expect exciting combinations and show-stopping execution.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Farallon reviews from OpenTable diners
332 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (231)romantic (180)fit for foodies (177)notable wine list (145)good for groups (44)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014The food, atmosphere and service were wonderful!! The maître d went out of his way to make the evening special. It was our 2nd wedding anniversary and I forgot to request the main dining room. He was able to accommodate us in that room. The staff and chefs provided an exceptionally nice evening for us.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is very appealing, the food was excellent, and the service good, but I felt that I was pushed into ordering another course. He said the portions were small, but I am a small person and I know how much I can eat. If I don't have enough, I will order more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Everything about our experience was exactly right. The oysters were fresh and delicious, the prawns and soft shell crab outstanding. My halibut was seared and cooked perfectly. My wife's short ribs were tender, moist and delicious. Desert, raspberries and mousse, was great. Beyond that the service was impeccable. Dirty dishes disappeared as soon as they were pushed away, and the pace was sensitive to us. Never rushed,never waiting. The restaurant was arranged so that every booth had a sense of privacy and the noise level was very low so conversation was easy and relaxed. My best dining experience in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We received a gift card to Farallon. The dining experience exceeded our expectations. Linda, our server, was exceptional—friendly, responsive, and thorough. In fact, all members of the serving staff were attentive and accommodating. We felt welcome, comfortable, and appreciated. And we were certainly well-fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialdineinsfDined on 8/27/2014Good was pretty decent but nothing too special. Service was timely but the waiter was indifferent bordering on rude.
- ExcellentMichaelVDined on 8/25/2014Overall and excellent experience, nice ambience without too much noise. The service was exceptional with lots of attention to detail. Food was very good, the starters being the highlight but all well prepared and presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit!desertdogDined on 8/23/2014The food was cooked to perfection, the presentation was appealing, and the unique flavors were absolutely wonderful. Plan on being here a while, enjoy every course, the oysters were especially tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JCECGEDined on 8/23/2014Just great in a aspects. We were there for a memorable evening ten years ago and ten years later we were s wowed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dinner!showdinnerDined on 8/19/2014Arrived late due to traffic (we told the waiter we had a shw to get to) but we were served quickly and in enough time to make our show at the Orpheum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowwwwOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was great, but extremey over priced for the small portion sizes. The service was very slow. It took almost an hour to get our appetizers (which was from the raw bar, so cooking wasn't a factor). Given the prices and poor service, I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- farallonfoodfunforfattyDined on 8/18/2014loved it, cant wait to go back, a little noisy but good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully appointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Ambiance and decor was beautiful but admittedly I felt rushed during our dinner - a shame...Special Features:
- farallonhoipolloiDined on 8/16/2014Excellent everything. The setting is magnificent but does not outshine the food, which in this case is really saying something. Lots of tourists, of course, which is fine, but the concierge should tell them that in San Francisco, in a restaurant like that, people don't usually wear sweat pants.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Good service. Perfectly cooked fish. Will come back again.Special Features:
- A longtime between visitsTableHopperDined on 8/15/2014Our grandson, Eric, a foody was visiting from San Luis Obispo and we wanted a treat for him. He's been to Boulevard, his favorite, so we looked a Open Table's top ten, then added several more, Farallon won out with the most convenient Friday night reservation, made a week ahead of the date. Also, we thought he'd really like the decor. We arrived 25 minutes early, the host was great and had a booth for 3 set up immediately. Our server Joseph B., an ex-chef was our server. He was great, knew the menu, and could answer all of our questions, with a touch of humor too. The food was very good. Eric and I ordered the halibut which was prepared wonderfully. My octopus starter was excellent, though two more pieces for sharing would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable for a Romantic DinnerAgingLikeFineWineDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I came for my birthday. I recommend this place as a great spot for any special day/occasion between two people. Great spot for family/adults, even though I came as a kid. FOOD & DRINK: -Soft shell crab is a definite favorite -Cab Franc was a solid recommendation by our Som -Halibut served well -Shrimp cocktail was not what I had before Overall 4 Star: With that many servers, I should never have to fill my own water. Picky, but (for the price) I expect immaculate service from end to end. They should always double check their silverware before placing on tables between courses. My knife blade had fingerprints and some residue on it. Our servers positive attitude and knowledge of the menu and restaurant was nice to have.Special Features:
- No wonder it's still hereJeffHDined on 8/15/2014Excellent, interesting food served by an accomplished wait staff. That's what makes a restaurant a San Francisco institution. The mostly fish menu is creative, and they are willing to "go off the board" if necessary - substituting soft-shell crab for fish, for instance. Overall, a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Sat on balcony overlooking bar -mvh140Dined on 8/15/2014Downstairs restaurant would be preference but was very enjoyable. Tables are nicely spaced for conversation. A little too much salt on the salmon entrée but the lemonfish entrée was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The wait staff is supurb. Ambiance engulfs patrons. Be in the mood for fruits of the seas. Very conveniently located, near theaters, shopping, union square, vibrant San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariposashelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Aside from the fact that the décor is lovely, this is a foodie paradise. Most notably for us was the gazpacho. The color was rich, the flavor sublime and lovely. I highly recommend this restaurant for a wonderful meal with quality staff in magnificent surroundings. Mariposa OkieSpecial Features:
- Way too Expensive!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014This restaurant has a great ambiance and excellent service. However, the food was average and extremely overpriced. Expect to pay $400 for a meal for four -- this did not include any wine or drinks.Special Features:
- ExpensiveJimmyDined on 8/14/2014Highly recommend McCormick and Kuletos over this place. The entrees were good but overall very,very expensive.
- Pre-show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014My mom and I came here before seeing a show at the SF Playhouse next door. It was awesome. The service was wonderful and we got in and out in time for the musical. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- hmm, mixed emotionsBarbaraDined on 8/11/2014it is a great restaurant with very good seafood with sensational decoration but after a nice beginning we waited forever for the main course which didn't fulfill only the second time around. the restaurant manager and our waiter were super kind and nice trying to accommodate us in every way, that was perfect and I understand things can happen so we'll try again. great wine list.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnermmmSFDined on 8/11/2014It was perfect. We had a cozy corner table as requested. The food was as impressive as expected and our server courses and plated everything perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome gemMidwestTrackerDined on 8/11/2014Wanted a place with ambience! Farallon fit us perfectly. Thanks to a friend who recommended this gem to this out of towner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014My wife and I went for her birthday. Food was wonderful and service was great. Waiter was perfect. It was expensive, but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outAFH1VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was really quite good, and the setting is wonderful.....previously a pool....love it. Will be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantSarahDined on 8/10/2014I really loved the atmosphere and design of this restaurant. It has a unique aquatic feel to it, complete with ocean themed lights, chairs, and tables. Besides the beautiful decor, the food is also wonderful. The seafood is very fresh. We ordered the soft shell crab and the tuna appetizer. The soft shell crab was delicate and crispy, with just the right amount of flavor. The tuna tartare was also delicious. The pairing of apricot, creme fraiche, and tuna made the flavors of sweet, tart, and salty come perfectly together. In addition to the food, the waiters are really knowledgable, patient, and friendly. The only complaint I had was that the branzino was too salty. Yet, the overall experience was marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The place is great and the food does taste superbly. The ambience is perfect for a special occasion or a romantic night out. Also the service is of high atandard. Just ger ready to pay a very expensive bill!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkaywineanddinemeDined on 8/9/2014Our meal here was good but nothing amazing, and certainly not amazing for the cost which was quite steep. Our waiter felt rushed, we are in the habit of taking our time to order but he kept coming back even though we clearly still weren't ready. He also suggested a lot more food than we needed, saying the portions were quite small. Actually they're normal sized portions so it was a lot of food. He didn't really seem to know his wines that well either. The food was good, we really enjoyed the tomato salad and the tuna tartare. The entrees were mediocre.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We eat little, but the food and wine was so fabulous we cleaned almost every course. Fantastic. Service ans ambiance went perfectly with the price point. We will be bacl again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!pinkpopcornDined on 8/9/2014Farallon never disappoints. I have been here at least 4 times and every time it has always been excellent with excellent service!Special Features:
- Fantastic fishStanfordFanVIPDined on 8/1/2014We dined in a booth early in the evening so the restaurant was not yet full. It was very quiet, which we appreciated. The waiter was attentive, and our food was served in a timely manner. We especially liked the roasted summer bean salad. Our entrees, the lemonfish and the branzino were outstanding.Special Features:
- Awesome placefinediningDined on 8/1/2014It was my first time at Farallon. I invited my European friends to dine there this past Friday and we had the most wonderful meal, great and attentive service and fine wine. The server, Leila and her team, were incredibly helpful and provided valuable information about the fish neither of us ever tasted. It was a success! And we are coming back. Keep up the great work, Farallon team.Special Features:
- DesertsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My wife had the cheesecake. It was 2 bytes and not worth the price. Otherwise the foot was excellent. PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014As a "mature" couple we wanted to celebrate our wedding anniversary in a top restaurant in San Francisco. Farallon exceeded our expectations. We were seated in a comfortable booth, greeted with complimentary champagne, and the service was outstanding throughout the evening. We shared lobster on ice, a Mediterranian bisque, and Halibut, all prepared to perfection. Best restaurant experience in a long time! Lucky usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed the ambiance, and the food was excellent. The menu was creative. Will go again the next time we are in SF.Special Features:
- Be sure to try this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Absolutely beautiful restaurant with great food & service! Enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FarallonSeafoodie2Dined on 7/30/2014Delicious food, fantastic service, fascinating decor in the center of downtown SF. Best Cosmo year after year! A bit on the noisy side, but worth it! Book well ahead as this restaurant is full from opening to closing time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.