660 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fangrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157778568
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Peter Fang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering events.
- Private Party Facilities: The main dining room can accommodate up 80 seated guests, has standing room of 100, a full bar, and a full open kitchen.
The second dining room has a full open kitchen and two semi-private rooms, which seat 110 guests.
The glass room can accommodate up to 14 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The Tibetan back room can accommodate up to 22 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The entire restaurant, both main and second dining room combined, seats up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Fang 4157778568
- Cross Street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 1. Street Parking Available
2. Nearest Parking Lots: There are 2 lots available within half a block from our restaurant. One is located on Minna Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery. The other is located directly across from Fang with entrances located on Howard Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery as well as an entrance on 3rd Street between Folsom and Howard Street .
A word from FANG
Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
FANG - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
FANG reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (50)fit for foodies (49)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (16)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (9)romantic (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great food, great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014And nice atmosphere too! Perfect location after the new SFMOMA opens - right next door.Special Features:
- Fang was undistinguishedPianoManVIPDined on 9/12/2014We were dissapointed with our experience at Fang. Unlike other reviews, we found the service outstanding - no issue there. The food however was mediocre at best mostly because of the sauces used. We've been here before and had a memorable meal, but this time it wasn't good. The pot sticker appetizers with peanut sauce were fine. We should have kept the peanut sauce for the other entrees. The calamari dish had vinegar sauce which was pretty bad. The short ribs dish had some unknown crusty stuff on them which hurt the flavor of the meat and the sauce was nasty. The Box Choy in the short rib dish was fine. The apple crisp desert was like a cracker - not much apple in there. Don't order that one.
- Off-menu for group: delicious, $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I came to Fang with a group of 12. As soon as we were seated, the chef greeted us and suggested that we let him select dishes for the group and promised we wouldn't be disappointed. We said okay, and he was right. The staff brought out 4 or 5 different dishes, which were all delicious. My only complaint is that the experience cost 2-3x more per person than ordering off the regular menu would have. This was not a terrible price, but more than I had anticipated and somewhat awkward since it was a work group and people don't usually spend so much on lunch. I'd say its still a good option, but ask about price before you go off-menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cantonese in SFruggerfoodieDined on 9/4/2014The food here is shockingly good. It's rivals the best you can get in Hong Kong itself. The absolute best place to do a business lunch around Moscone. Don't pick from the menu instead just tell the server to keep bringing you dishes until you are full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SurpriseluthyrDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I took another couple there for the first time. We were first attended by an elderly gentleman who I assumed to be the waiter. He looked at us, asked us if we'd been there before, and when we said no, he said, "I'll take care of you." and started writing down thinks on his pad. A short while later, plate after plate of delicious foods started arriving, each new, distinctive and delicious. In the end we had an excellent meal of surprise dishes, and paid a quite reasonable price for the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go here!MskaiDined on 8/31/2014There was no one to welcome us or seat us. The restaurant was hot! We left!
- Delicious!Dreif1Dined on 8/30/2014The chef came to our table and upon hearing this was our first visit he took the menus and said he'd take care of us. If you're not comfortable with that don't tell them it's your first time. He sent several tasty dishes to our table and we were very satisfied. Not sure we would visit again but definitely worth trying if you've never been! Also it's a very small place and the decor is very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good chinesehedleyDined on 8/28/2014The beef tower was fantastic, as was the salty pork dish. The chef gave good recommendations for the meal. The hot and sour soup was too spicy four daughterSpecial Features:
- Great team lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Went here for a team lunch and it was great. We didn't need to worry about what people were ordering, the guy came down and gave us food. Only complaint was, we had some people that didn't want seafood, but we got quite a few dishes with seafood in them. I'd still recommend this place and we will head back there for another group lunch.Special Features:
- Good FoodLunchingDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed Fang. Good food, reasonable prices, friendly staff.Special Features:
- A GREAT wedding dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our family went there to celebrate a wedding. The servers were attentive and knowledgeable and the service was top notch. The food was GREAT and it was a really neat venue to celebrate. At the same time, one of the people had a birthday and the server started to sing Happy Birthday then the rest of the table and restaurant followed suit. It was a fun, unique and memorable dinner!Special Features:
- great lunchjacobinaDined on 8/21/2014Fresh inventive food. A real pleasure for my palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014The food is simply amazing at this restaurant, the flavors are incredible. We have been here several times and we are never disappointed, and look forward to our next time we return to the city so we can eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food, chaos on the floorOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014Agree with other reviews- food overall is inventive and excellent, but too much garlic in some dishes like sesame chicken. Short ribs are like candy, and whitefish melts in your mouth. Service is chaotic and distant, food coming whenever they feel like in any order regardless of whether appetizer or main, forgot a dish, and slapped check down without asking about dessert. Decor,inside is modern and clean, next to a strip club so be aware.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was so good, we went twice!DoubleA7Dined on 8/16/2014A friend recommended that we visit Fang and allow the kitchen staff to select the courses, instead of ordering off the menu. We took his advice and were not disappointed! After confirming if we had any allergies or special dietary restrictions, they began bringing dish after dish of amazing food, including several that we likely wouldn't have thought to order on our own. The service was excellent and the price was very reasonable: three terrific appetizer courses and one shared entree for less than $60. Everything was so delicious, we ended up going back for lunch to try more of the menu and everything was terrific the 2nd time as well! Be sure to order the Beef Peking Buns - they are outstanding!Special Features:
- Fantastic Chinese foodHappyCanukDined on 8/14/2014Very interesting flavours in these dishes. Best Chinese good I 've eaten in a very long time. Added bonus is the very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uniqueeats2wellDined on 8/14/2014The dishes are very unusual Chinese fare. The flavors are assertive and the portions very ample. We always have to remember to order less than in other Chinese restaurants. The short ribs and the spare ribs and the crispy chicken with sweet potatoes are outstanding.Special Features:
- hooliganDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding food quality for the price. A great lunch option.
- Great lunch, if you know whatdkeatsDined on 8/11/2014Upfront, I will say that I was disappointed with the BBQ pork spareribs. In fact, we order a "give me a good beef dish" dish which had the beef perfectly cooked so I was surprised that the ribs weren't also as amazing. The salt and pepper fish is epic, make sure to order it. We also ordered a "give me a good beef dish" and got a bunch of beef with red pepper flakes that would melt in your mouth. The pork dumplings were also a hit with our group (some from Beijing). All in all, I believe that if you know how to order off Fang's menu, you can find yourself with a 5 star meal and excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I told Fang I reserved the table via online. But they told me we do not have reservation policy. I rate opentable.com one star.Special Features:
- I wish the waiter can understand...HungryMonkeyDined on 8/4/2014I wish the waiter can understand our order. The food was tasty just like my $6 meal from red jade. If I will spend money for a Chinese restaurant that is marketed for upscale dining I rather go to My China.
- NYerNYerDined on 7/30/2014Waiters were indifferent. Food was good, but not as fantastic as I had been told it would be. After main corse they simply slapped down the check. No dessert menu, tea, or even a question from the waiter if we even wanted anything else. I got better service in Chinatown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese with great pricesSeismicVIPDined on 7/28/2014Nice place in SoMa with really delicious food with a twist. For example the Chinese buns with beef come with flash fried strips of tender beef--crunchy on the outside and tender in the inside. This was replicated in the chunks of short rib that came atop a noodle dish. Pure indulgence. I call it m"meat candy" because it's soooo irresistible. The sesame chicken comes with strips of sweet potato and a zesty flavorful sauce--not the standard cloyingly sweet stuff of standard Chinese-American fare. Love this place for its unique interpretation of Chinese food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fangtastic!!foodinsfDined on 7/26/2014We have eaten at the sister restaurant and thought we would try this one. It was wonderful. The chef Kathy asked what we wanted and prepared a sampling for us. We would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- lovely dinnermrB1VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food is excellent at a central location. staff is helpful even if a bit distantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang is awesomeFoodieGromDined on 7/25/2014The food is awesome at Fang. Don't expect the usual Chinese dishes. In fact, you won't even find traditionals like Kung Pao Chicken on the menu. Ambiance is good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuDumindha64Dined on 7/17/2014Food was really good and the prices were a very pleasantly surprising not over priced as many places can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and valueVioletaDined on 7/11/2014This is our second visit to Fang's and we enjoyed again. On our first visit in 2012, the Chef/Owner ordered for us (a group of five) so we were impressed with his choices. This time around, we each ordered a dish and thought every single one was delicious and had flavors of their own. We couldn't believe how reasonably-priced a chicken dish was ($11.95 I think). Nowadays, you'd have to pay $18-$20 for a comparable dish elsewhere. The only drawback was the lack of warmth and friendliness of our female server from this year's visit. However, on our first visit, Lily, was nice and great to work with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining at FangssffoodrocksDined on 7/10/2014My friend recommended this restaurant. She said when you order tell the waiter "bring it on". I wasn't sure when our group of 4 ordered and asked the waitress about it. I gave her a price of what my friend spent and she ordered what she thought we would like. It was excellent. So many different varieties of food which we all loved. Fish, chicken, beef, vegetables and appetizers. Wonderful. They were left overs! The price is so reasonable! I've already told many friends about it. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- fantastic foodElisaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Every time I come to Fang the food is as good as the last. The short ribs are my favorite dish. The staff are accommodating to food allergies/ dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining Experience!annekieDined on 6/30/2014We really enjoyed our early dinner at Fang on Monday evening. We chose some items from the Happy Hour menu. I would definitely come back for the mojito and Fang's Peking buns, as well as to try other things. The appetizers are half off for HH and they have drink specials. For our dinner we chose to ask the restaurant to surprise us with a few items. The end result was an eclectic and delicious sampling of dishes - one beef, one chicken and sauteed green beans. All were excellent and we really enjoyed our experience here and will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Staff Meal RecommendationsHawaiiVisitorVIPDined on 6/27/2014Staff always does a great job a specially creating a meal choice based on food restrictions and customer input. Each time makes for a wonderful dining experience. And lets the chef/restaurant be creative as well!!Special Features:
- FangDined on 6/22/2014Fang is nicely located since it avoids climbing the hills in Chinatown. The portions are generous, the prices reasonable and the food is innovative. It is, however, incredibly noisy with the wait staff screaming their orders to the kitchen.Special Features:
- We love FangFANGFANDined on 6/22/2014We have now had our niece's graduation as well as a special lunch with dear friends from Italy and their Italian friends and everyone was raving about the food. Ask for the chef's choice, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- ThorDined on 6/20/2014The lighting was bad. The food was mediocre. Parking was ok.Special Features:
- Amazing food and servicebpetraskaDined on 6/19/2014My guest had never been. We had an amazing meal and great service. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Lunch at meeting Moscone CenterWinedineDined on 6/14/2014This is a lively, very popular lunch and dinner venue. Food was very good, tasty and freshly prepared. Staff was VERY busy but were attentive and service did not suffer. Wait time was reasonable. Would definitely go back when I'm in San Francisco.Special Features:
- FangsAmadaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Love having a round table for a group! Family style/sharing of dishes is the way to go. Portions were too small (for a Chinese restaurant) in my opinion. Tasty food!Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 6/12/2014Food was disappointing, compared to their sister restaurant House of Nanking.Special Features:
- Come for the FoodPunkinsMamaVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is HON's slightly prettier and edgier sister. Restaurant is small has a vibrant, upbeat atmosphere. Our waitress had zero charm and could not be less interested. Don't expect to be welcomed, told about the specials, etc. We made selections based on Yelp reviews, and once she took our order, we never saw her again. But the busboys were very efficient with bringing food, clearing plates, re filling water glasses, etc. Now for the food- delicious, everything single dish was flavorful, fresh & perfectly prepared. Highly recommended the 8 Treasures salad and Five Spice fish. Only regret was not being able to try everything.Special Features: