660 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fangrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157778568
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Peter Fang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering events.
- Private Party Facilities: The main dining room can accommodate up 80 seated guests, has standing room of 100, a full bar, and a full open kitchen.
The second dining room has a full open kitchen and two semi-private rooms, which seat 110 guests.
The glass room can accommodate up to 14 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The Tibetan back room can accommodate up to 22 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The entire restaurant, both main and second dining room combined, seats up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Fang 4157778568
- Cross Street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 1. Street Parking Available
2. Nearest Parking Lots: There are 2 lots available within half a block from our restaurant. One is located on Minna Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery. The other is located directly across from Fang with entrances located on Howard Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery as well as an entrance on 3rd Street between Folsom and Howard Street .
A word from FANG
Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FANG reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)good for groups (51)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (17)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food, awful serviceStanDined on 10/15/2014We had the manager bring us food that the chef recommended, and it was great! Unfortunately the service was very poor. We were not even asked what we wanted to drink. 10 minutes later we were able to waive the waiter down and get water. After food was served there was no more service. We then had to waive the waiter down to get our bill.Special Features:
- Speed DiningCTinSFDined on 10/14/2014After being seated, the hostess quickly informed us that we should order family style and they would decide what plates we got. When questioned about this strategy she snottily responded that if someone was going to pick out our menu it should be the owner. We said okay and then they brought out about 8 different plates within 35 minutes. It was probably the fastest dinner I've ever had at a restaurant. The food was only so-so and the space wasn't anything special. I'm glad I can say I tried it since it gets such rave reviews, but I won't be going back.
- great meal too close for comforttoofarnorthDined on 10/8/2014Menu choice and food preparation excellent, moderate prices as well. Tables for 2 are way too close together, our neighbors had to squeeze to get past our table, expected better seating at an upscale restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat to paletteQueenDined on 10/2/2014When chef or owner found out we were newbies to Fang he decided on our meal. We were not disappointed had a wonderful sampling that included 2 dim sum dishes, Portabella,dish salad and whit fish that melted in the mouth. Individual flavors and combination of food was a treat to the palette. Service was pleasant but slightly rushed. Would return when we return to San francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judithVIPDined on 10/2/2014We search for restaurants in this area to meet with our niece for lunch. This was first time there and I would not go back. I thought the food was very mediocre, service was OK, but the it was noisy. Price was good, but I would rather play a bit more and have better food.
- Must have food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The fusion Chinese was very very well done!! There was not a single dish that we didn't like and were in a group of 5 people and we got like 6-7 dishes each of them outstanding.Special Features:
- korovaVIPDined on 10/1/2014The quality of foo has deteriorated in recent couple of years. The restaurant is overrun with techies, the servers are not exactly rude but very brisk and rushed. Salt and pepper shrimp last time were just boiled, and the mix of vegetables in different meat and seafood lunch plates looked and tasted suspiciously similar.Special Features:
- nice for lunchhumblefishermanDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant is great for lunch and casual dinner. We tell the waiter we wanted to share homestyle chinese food with 1 beef, 1 chicken, 1 tofu-vegie, and we dont event look at the menu. The kitchen prepare us a very nice sharing dish. Although this is not for fine dining, but with the price like this, is a great place to have a casual lunch-dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!RpinmtlDined on 9/25/2014I am from out of town travelling with my friend, I am not a fan of Chinese food after too many bad food court experiences. We had to try a Chinese place as San Francisco is know for their Chinese food. When we sat at our table we saw some lovely dishes are neighbours were eating, when we inquired we were told they were not on the menu and were chef specials. Our waiter was really friendly, once we inquired our the off menu specials, he asked us our food restrictions and said not to worry he would make sure we would be in a special treat! I was nervous but my friend said to go with the flow- we were not disappointed, dish after dish all was amazing and portions huge and great for sharing! Lots of freshness and good quality foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jkb3482VIPDined on 9/23/2014They were very accommodating to our large group. Service was a bit spotty but on par with other similar restaurants. They prepared a special menu for our large party which was pretty good and made it easy for us. However, it would have been nice to have a chance to choose the dishes.Special Features:
- Fine chinese foodJeffDined on 9/21/2014The food at Fang's is authentic and very tasty. We had the onion cake, crispy short ribs, honey chicken and green beans. All were quite delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky and NoisyMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/21/2014I was looking forward to this after visiting the website, but there were 3 things that were real disappointments:(1) if you are 2 people, then you will be forced to eat along the wall (french cafe style) and the seats are too close together; (2) the restaurant needs a new exhaust system because you could smell the grease and see the smoke coming from the "open kitchen"; (3) it was noisy... but not because of the house music or the diners, but because of the cooks, constantly talking to one another in a loud voice. When I tried to move to another table and requested a square table (4 settings, when we were only 2), they said no. We winded up pulling in another table next to us because we simply needed another table for the 4 large plates!
- Very good spot for lunchLauraVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very conveniently situated by the convention center. Quality food and presentation.Special Features:
- Fabulous experience!LilyDined on 9/19/2014We've only lived here for a short period of time but Fang's quickly became one of our favorite restaurants in the Financial District. In this last visit, we took friends who were visiting from out of town (Canada) and we elected to let Mr. Fang (I think?) surprise us with a selection of magnificent foods, every single item was amazing. We had been to Fang's previously a number of times but always ordered off the menu. While the food has always been fabulous this was truly a unique and wonderful experience which we will definitely repeat again in the future.Special Features:
- Jim KGimmyDined on 9/18/2014Food is real good, service fair, mens bathroom run down. Clean the fan off in the bathroomSpecial Features:
- Great food, great valueHomewarriorDined on 9/17/2014And nice atmosphere too! Perfect location after the new SFMOMA opens - right next door.Special Features:
- Owner Treated UskelsienicoleDined on 9/15/2014We were the first ones in the restaurant for dinner and the owner came and greeted me and my husband. He asked about any dietary restrictions and I informed him I am vegetarian, but my husband is not. He said he'd make something special for us. The evening was filled with delicious, unexpected plates with our preferences in mind. It was by far the best dining experience we had in San Francisco. It was great to be surprised with each dish and every single one was just outstanding. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang was undistinguishedPianoManVIPDined on 9/12/2014We were dissapointed with our experience at Fang. Unlike other reviews, we found the service outstanding - no issue there. The food however was mediocre at best mostly because of the sauces used. We've been here before and had a memorable meal, but this time it wasn't good. The pot sticker appetizers with peanut sauce were fine. We should have kept the peanut sauce for the other entrees. The calamari dish had vinegar sauce which was pretty bad. The short ribs dish had some unknown crusty stuff on them which hurt the flavor of the meat and the sauce was nasty. The Box Choy in the short rib dish was fine. The apple crisp desert was like a cracker - not much apple in there. Don't order that one.
- Off-menu for group: delicious, $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I came to Fang with a group of 12. As soon as we were seated, the chef greeted us and suggested that we let him select dishes for the group and promised we wouldn't be disappointed. We said okay, and he was right. The staff brought out 4 or 5 different dishes, which were all delicious. My only complaint is that the experience cost 2-3x more per person than ordering off the regular menu would have. This was not a terrible price, but more than I had anticipated and somewhat awkward since it was a work group and people don't usually spend so much on lunch. I'd say its still a good option, but ask about price before you go off-menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cantonese in SFruggerfoodieDined on 9/4/2014The food here is shockingly good. It's rivals the best you can get in Hong Kong itself. The absolute best place to do a business lunch around Moscone. Don't pick from the menu instead just tell the server to keep bringing you dishes until you are full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SurpriseluthyrDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I took another couple there for the first time. We were first attended by an elderly gentleman who I assumed to be the waiter. He looked at us, asked us if we'd been there before, and when we said no, he said, "I'll take care of you." and started writing down thinks on his pad. A short while later, plate after plate of delicious foods started arriving, each new, distinctive and delicious. In the end we had an excellent meal of surprise dishes, and paid a quite reasonable price for the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go here!MskaiDined on 8/31/2014There was no one to welcome us or seat us. The restaurant was hot! We left!
- Delicious!Dreif1Dined on 8/30/2014The chef came to our table and upon hearing this was our first visit he took the menus and said he'd take care of us. If you're not comfortable with that don't tell them it's your first time. He sent several tasty dishes to our table and we were very satisfied. Not sure we would visit again but definitely worth trying if you've never been! Also it's a very small place and the decor is very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good chinesehedleyDined on 8/28/2014The beef tower was fantastic, as was the salty pork dish. The chef gave good recommendations for the meal. The hot and sour soup was too spicy four daughterSpecial Features:
- Great team lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Went here for a team lunch and it was great. We didn't need to worry about what people were ordering, the guy came down and gave us food. Only complaint was, we had some people that didn't want seafood, but we got quite a few dishes with seafood in them. I'd still recommend this place and we will head back there for another group lunch.Special Features:
- Good FoodLunchingDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed Fang. Good food, reasonable prices, friendly staff.Special Features:
- A GREAT wedding dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our family went there to celebrate a wedding. The servers were attentive and knowledgeable and the service was top notch. The food was GREAT and it was a really neat venue to celebrate. At the same time, one of the people had a birthday and the server started to sing Happy Birthday then the rest of the table and restaurant followed suit. It was a fun, unique and memorable dinner!Special Features:
- great lunchjacobinaDined on 8/21/2014Fresh inventive food. A real pleasure for my palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014The food is simply amazing at this restaurant, the flavors are incredible. We have been here several times and we are never disappointed, and look forward to our next time we return to the city so we can eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food, chaos on the floorOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014Agree with other reviews- food overall is inventive and excellent, but too much garlic in some dishes like sesame chicken. Short ribs are like candy, and whitefish melts in your mouth. Service is chaotic and distant, food coming whenever they feel like in any order regardless of whether appetizer or main, forgot a dish, and slapped check down without asking about dessert. Decor,inside is modern and clean, next to a strip club so be aware.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was so good, we went twice!DoubleA7Dined on 8/16/2014A friend recommended that we visit Fang and allow the kitchen staff to select the courses, instead of ordering off the menu. We took his advice and were not disappointed! After confirming if we had any allergies or special dietary restrictions, they began bringing dish after dish of amazing food, including several that we likely wouldn't have thought to order on our own. The service was excellent and the price was very reasonable: three terrific appetizer courses and one shared entree for less than $60. Everything was so delicious, we ended up going back for lunch to try more of the menu and everything was terrific the 2nd time as well! Be sure to order the Beef Peking Buns - they are outstanding!Special Features:
- Fantastic Chinese foodHappyCanukDined on 8/14/2014Very interesting flavours in these dishes. Best Chinese good I 've eaten in a very long time. Added bonus is the very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uniqueeats2wellDined on 8/14/2014The dishes are very unusual Chinese fare. The flavors are assertive and the portions very ample. We always have to remember to order less than in other Chinese restaurants. The short ribs and the spare ribs and the crispy chicken with sweet potatoes are outstanding.Special Features:
- hooliganDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding food quality for the price. A great lunch option.
- Great lunch, if you know whatdkeatsDined on 8/11/2014Upfront, I will say that I was disappointed with the BBQ pork spareribs. In fact, we order a "give me a good beef dish" dish which had the beef perfectly cooked so I was surprised that the ribs weren't also as amazing. The salt and pepper fish is epic, make sure to order it. We also ordered a "give me a good beef dish" and got a bunch of beef with red pepper flakes that would melt in your mouth. The pork dumplings were also a hit with our group (some from Beijing). All in all, I believe that if you know how to order off Fang's menu, you can find yourself with a 5 star meal and excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I told Fang I reserved the table via online. But they told me we do not have reservation policy. I rate opentable.com one star.Special Features:
- I wish the waiter can understand...HungryMonkeyDined on 8/4/2014I wish the waiter can understand our order. The food was tasty just like my $6 meal from red jade. If I will spend money for a Chinese restaurant that is marketed for upscale dining I rather go to My China.
- NYerNYerDined on 7/30/2014Waiters were indifferent. Food was good, but not as fantastic as I had been told it would be. After main corse they simply slapped down the check. No dessert menu, tea, or even a question from the waiter if we even wanted anything else. I got better service in Chinatown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese with great pricesSeismicVIPDined on 7/28/2014Nice place in SoMa with really delicious food with a twist. For example the Chinese buns with beef come with flash fried strips of tender beef--crunchy on the outside and tender in the inside. This was replicated in the chunks of short rib that came atop a noodle dish. Pure indulgence. I call it m"meat candy" because it's soooo irresistible. The sesame chicken comes with strips of sweet potato and a zesty flavorful sauce--not the standard cloyingly sweet stuff of standard Chinese-American fare. Love this place for its unique interpretation of Chinese food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fangtastic!!foodinsfDined on 7/26/2014We have eaten at the sister restaurant and thought we would try this one. It was wonderful. The chef Kathy asked what we wanted and prepared a sampling for us. We would highly recommend this place.Special Features: