660 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fangrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 777-8568
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Peter Fang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering events.
- Private Party Facilities: The main dining room can accommodate up 80 seated guests, has standing room of 100, a full bar, and a full open kitchen.
The second dining room has a full open kitchen and two semi-private rooms, which seat 110 guests.
The glass room can accommodate up to 14 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The Tibetan back room can accommodate up to 22 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The entire restaurant, both main and second dining room combined, seats up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Fang 4157778568
- Cross Street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 1. Street Parking Available
2. Nearest Parking Lots: There are 2 lots available within half a block from our restaurant. One is located on Minna Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery. The other is located directly across from Fang with entrances located on Howard Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery as well as an entrance on 3rd Street between Folsom and Howard Street .
A word from FANG
Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FANG reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)good for groups (59)great for lunch (48)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (9)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good for Groups - reasonableBeeeVIPDined on 11/24/2014Had Birthday Dinner here, no recognition from the restaurant about that from opentable, food was good to great - especially the short ribs. Service was really slow for no reason on the uptake and we were an early group so the place was not busy - it became more attentive as the night went on. We had to walk over several times to get help with orders and menus for a group of 10. Happy hour prices are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personal TouchbaywesVIPDined on 11/21/2014I have been going to Fang for a long time. The best thing to do is ask if Peter is there and have him visit your table. He will just select dishes for you based on the size and you can do an amazing family style dinner. It is chinese with some modern twists and honestly I have never had a bad dish at this place. Great food and Peter is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014Their family style cuisine is absolutely delectable! The staff is very friendly and explained each dish. The prices are very reasonable, a great place for a work lunch. They had the best buns I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIG Birthday celebration - no problemTuesdayDinerDined on 11/18/2014The restaurant is set up for Family style dining, big roundtables and platters to share. I have to say the ability of not having to choose -pricelss! Especially when with a group of indecisive, nonStop talking ladies who don't often take the time to look at the menu although the server is present. Service was fast, efficient and nonstop. The food was delicious! Our diet restrictions were taken and the dishes just kept coming. I loved when the server asked "have you had enough??" to which we all answered "Yes!". bonus points for also not feeling like the LOUD ones in the joint or being so noisy we could not hear one another. Overall a great experience and all were happy with the meal and experience.Special Features:
- Chef's special is the way to goMiddayDinerDined on 11/18/2014My friends and I were going to order separate dishes for lunch but then eat them family style but then the waitress suggested the chef's special. The owner came by and also suggested it. We had 4-5 dishes including an excellent fish soup and the braised short ribs were tender and seemed to melt in my mouth. It was well worth the extra cost.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang has terrific Chinese food.GFOODVIPDined on 11/15/2014Fang has a small menu which is refreshing for a Chinese restaurant. A small menu means that what is on the menu will be terrific. We loved the Wor Wonton soup. That was perhaps the best I've had. And the Nan King Sesame Chicken dish was super tasty, well prepared, and a nice sized portion. They do something a little unique on the menu. They have a list of vegetables, mushrooms, beans. And then you tell your server how you would like it. And then made us a wonderful tofu dish, crispy, beautifully flavored, with crisp bok choi and other vegetables on the side. I think this is some of the best Chinese food around. And it's inexpensive for fine dining. This is a restaurant I would definitely enjoy going back to many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK.RogerIDined on 11/15/2014Overall experience was fine. But this restaurant has no real personality or strong vibe. Food is good, not great. Service the same. Ambiance not much to speak of. It's a great location next to the W, I guess that's where the business comes from.
- Great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014Always had a good experience. It's bit on the expensive side, but the food is just too good.Special Features:
- Not specialSusanDined on 11/9/2014Service was a bit too rapid. We ordered an appetizer and it was brought immediately along with the 2 entrees. The salt pepper shrimp with mushrooms was bland. Our favorite part of the meal were the appetizer dumplings. Tables were busy on a Monday night.Special Features:
- quick yummy lunchMzmeVIPDined on 11/6/2014had the sesame chicken wok lunch - drool drool good. they had the food out fast which made it easy to make it back to work in my half hour time frame.Special Features:
- Excuse me...MLHOVIPDined on 11/5/2014While the food was good and very inexpensive it did not make up for the total and utter lack of service. I am always willing to give an establishment the benefit of the doubt, we all have an off evening, but the folks we sat next to ate there often and said the service is consistently lacking. It was one of those experiences where patrons bonded over the bad service, we were all in it together!!! If you are a practicing Buddhist and want to practice intense patience by all means go. If you want to focus on your dinner conversation and not flagging down your waiter all evening pick one of the many other fabulous restaurants in the beautiful city.
- Fantastic!ChristineCPMVIPDined on 11/4/2014We asked for dim sum and he brought us 4 dishes that were amazing. We all loved it. For my daughter's birthday, they sent out a variation of an apple pie with a candle in it! Very sweet thing to do. Loved it.Special Features:
- Underlooked, but maybe not for longdrapp1952Dined on 10/31/2014This is very good Chinese restaurant, and the food can be a great value. Go at happy hour at get great appetizers like onion pancakes, salt and pepper mushroom for $2.50 or duck Peking Buns for $6.95. The BBQ Pork Spareribs were excellent and I'd rate the Nanking Sesame Chicken as very good. Service was prompt and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food but timing problem5thoffDined on 10/29/2014i've been here twice with a big group and been frustrated with the huge gaps of time between dishes arriving at the table. Politeness dictates that we all wait until everyone has food before we start eating but it's awkward when that means we're sitting for 10-15 min while some of our food gets cold. I like the food and the price is right so I'll be back, but it's a problem I've never encountered anywhere else in the area. Fang needs to figure this out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalGigiDined on 10/26/2014The BEST Chinese I've ever had! The meal was delicious ... not your typical Chinese meal. A culinary work of art that introduces you to the wide range of this culture's repertoire of food! A definite MUST while in San Francisco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chinese foodSergeDined on 10/25/2014Choose between the western or Chinese menu and let them decide what you are going to eat You cannot get wrongSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fusion Chinese Cuisineharlemo25Dined on 10/23/2014The dishes in this fusion chinese restaurant are outstanding and unique. Even the green tea is served uniquely in a large glass mug with an interesting tea leave ball the unfolds and transforms into a flower while steeping in the hot water. The braised short ribs and sesame chicken are oustanding. There is also an interesting display of color chinese art showing chinese emperors/leaders of a particular era in history. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, awful serviceStanDined on 10/15/2014We had the manager bring us food that the chef recommended, and it was great! Unfortunately the service was very poor. We were not even asked what we wanted to drink. 10 minutes later we were able to waive the waiter down and get water. After food was served there was no more service. We then had to waive the waiter down to get our bill.Special Features:
- Speed DiningCTinSFDined on 10/14/2014After being seated, the hostess quickly informed us that we should order family style and they would decide what plates we got. When questioned about this strategy she snottily responded that if someone was going to pick out our menu it should be the owner. We said okay and then they brought out about 8 different plates within 35 minutes. It was probably the fastest dinner I've ever had at a restaurant. The food was only so-so and the space wasn't anything special. I'm glad I can say I tried it since it gets such rave reviews, but I won't be going back.
- great meal too close for comforttoofarnorthDined on 10/8/2014Menu choice and food preparation excellent, moderate prices as well. Tables for 2 are way too close together, our neighbors had to squeeze to get past our table, expected better seating at an upscale restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat to paletteQueenDined on 10/2/2014When chef or owner found out we were newbies to Fang he decided on our meal. We were not disappointed had a wonderful sampling that included 2 dim sum dishes, Portabella,dish salad and whit fish that melted in the mouth. Individual flavors and combination of food was a treat to the palette. Service was pleasant but slightly rushed. Would return when we return to San francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judithVIPDined on 10/2/2014We search for restaurants in this area to meet with our niece for lunch. This was first time there and I would not go back. I thought the food was very mediocre, service was OK, but the it was noisy. Price was good, but I would rather play a bit more and have better food.
- Must have food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The fusion Chinese was very very well done!! There was not a single dish that we didn't like and were in a group of 5 people and we got like 6-7 dishes each of them outstanding.Special Features:
- korovaVIPDined on 10/1/2014The quality of foo has deteriorated in recent couple of years. The restaurant is overrun with techies, the servers are not exactly rude but very brisk and rushed. Salt and pepper shrimp last time were just boiled, and the mix of vegetables in different meat and seafood lunch plates looked and tasted suspiciously similar.Special Features:
- nice for lunchhumblefishermanDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant is great for lunch and casual dinner. We tell the waiter we wanted to share homestyle chinese food with 1 beef, 1 chicken, 1 tofu-vegie, and we dont event look at the menu. The kitchen prepare us a very nice sharing dish. Although this is not for fine dining, but with the price like this, is a great place to have a casual lunch-dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!RpinmtlDined on 9/25/2014I am from out of town travelling with my friend, I am not a fan of Chinese food after too many bad food court experiences. We had to try a Chinese place as San Francisco is know for their Chinese food. When we sat at our table we saw some lovely dishes are neighbours were eating, when we inquired we were told they were not on the menu and were chef specials. Our waiter was really friendly, once we inquired our the off menu specials, he asked us our food restrictions and said not to worry he would make sure we would be in a special treat! I was nervous but my friend said to go with the flow- we were not disappointed, dish after dish all was amazing and portions huge and great for sharing! Lots of freshness and good quality foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jkb3482VIPDined on 9/23/2014They were very accommodating to our large group. Service was a bit spotty but on par with other similar restaurants. They prepared a special menu for our large party which was pretty good and made it easy for us. However, it would have been nice to have a chance to choose the dishes.Special Features:
- Fine chinese foodJeffDined on 9/21/2014The food at Fang's is authentic and very tasty. We had the onion cake, crispy short ribs, honey chicken and green beans. All were quite delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky and NoisyMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/21/2014I was looking forward to this after visiting the website, but there were 3 things that were real disappointments:(1) if you are 2 people, then you will be forced to eat along the wall (french cafe style) and the seats are too close together; (2) the restaurant needs a new exhaust system because you could smell the grease and see the smoke coming from the "open kitchen"; (3) it was noisy... but not because of the house music or the diners, but because of the cooks, constantly talking to one another in a loud voice. When I tried to move to another table and requested a square table (4 settings, when we were only 2), they said no. We winded up pulling in another table next to us because we simply needed another table for the 4 large plates!
- Very good spot for lunchLauraVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very conveniently situated by the convention center. Quality food and presentation.Special Features:
- Fabulous experience!LilyDined on 9/19/2014We've only lived here for a short period of time but Fang's quickly became one of our favorite restaurants in the Financial District. In this last visit, we took friends who were visiting from out of town (Canada) and we elected to let Mr. Fang (I think?) surprise us with a selection of magnificent foods, every single item was amazing. We had been to Fang's previously a number of times but always ordered off the menu. While the food has always been fabulous this was truly a unique and wonderful experience which we will definitely repeat again in the future.Special Features:
- Jim KGimmyDined on 9/18/2014Food is real good, service fair, mens bathroom run down. Clean the fan off in the bathroomSpecial Features:
- Great food, great valueHomewarriorDined on 9/17/2014And nice atmosphere too! Perfect location after the new SFMOMA opens - right next door.Special Features:
- Owner Treated UskelsienicoleDined on 9/15/2014We were the first ones in the restaurant for dinner and the owner came and greeted me and my husband. He asked about any dietary restrictions and I informed him I am vegetarian, but my husband is not. He said he'd make something special for us. The evening was filled with delicious, unexpected plates with our preferences in mind. It was by far the best dining experience we had in San Francisco. It was great to be surprised with each dish and every single one was just outstanding. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang was undistinguishedPianoManVIPDined on 9/12/2014We were dissapointed with our experience at Fang. Unlike other reviews, we found the service outstanding - no issue there. The food however was mediocre at best mostly because of the sauces used. We've been here before and had a memorable meal, but this time it wasn't good. The pot sticker appetizers with peanut sauce were fine. We should have kept the peanut sauce for the other entrees. The calamari dish had vinegar sauce which was pretty bad. The short ribs dish had some unknown crusty stuff on them which hurt the flavor of the meat and the sauce was nasty. The Box Choy in the short rib dish was fine. The apple crisp desert was like a cracker - not much apple in there. Don't order that one.
- Off-menu for group: delicious, $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I came to Fang with a group of 12. As soon as we were seated, the chef greeted us and suggested that we let him select dishes for the group and promised we wouldn't be disappointed. We said okay, and he was right. The staff brought out 4 or 5 different dishes, which were all delicious. My only complaint is that the experience cost 2-3x more per person than ordering off the regular menu would have. This was not a terrible price, but more than I had anticipated and somewhat awkward since it was a work group and people don't usually spend so much on lunch. I'd say its still a good option, but ask about price before you go off-menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cantonese in SFruggerfoodieDined on 9/4/2014The food here is shockingly good. It's rivals the best you can get in Hong Kong itself. The absolute best place to do a business lunch around Moscone. Don't pick from the menu instead just tell the server to keep bringing you dishes until you are full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SurpriseluthyrDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I took another couple there for the first time. We were first attended by an elderly gentleman who I assumed to be the waiter. He looked at us, asked us if we'd been there before, and when we said no, he said, "I'll take care of you." and started writing down thinks on his pad. A short while later, plate after plate of delicious foods started arriving, each new, distinctive and delicious. In the end we had an excellent meal of surprise dishes, and paid a quite reasonable price for the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go here!MskaiDined on 8/31/2014There was no one to welcome us or seat us. The restaurant was hot! We left!
- Delicious!Dreif1Dined on 8/30/2014The chef came to our table and upon hearing this was our first visit he took the menus and said he'd take care of us. If you're not comfortable with that don't tell them it's your first time. He sent several tasty dishes to our table and we were very satisfied. Not sure we would visit again but definitely worth trying if you've never been! Also it's a very small place and the decor is very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.