660 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fangrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 777-8568
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Peter Fang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering events.
- Private Party Facilities: The main dining room can accommodate up 80 seated guests, has standing room of 100, a full bar, and a full open kitchen.
The second dining room has a full open kitchen and two semi-private rooms, which seat 110 guests.
The glass room can accommodate up to 14 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The Tibetan back room can accommodate up to 22 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The entire restaurant, both main and second dining room combined, seats up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Fang 4157778568
- Cross Street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 1. Street Parking Available
2. Nearest Parking Lots: There are 2 lots available within half a block from our restaurant. One is located on Minna Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery. The other is located directly across from Fang with entrances located on Howard Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery as well as an entrance on 3rd Street between Folsom and Howard Street .
A word from FANG
Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FANG reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)good for groups (59)great for lunch (48)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (9)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Delicious food! I will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findTxfoodieDined on 5/14/2014We were looking for a place within walking distance of our hotel in the financial district. This fit the bill. Although tiny and unaircondioned on a 90+ degree day, our server was attentive and made great recommendations. We did find a fried rice with chicken to be a bit bland, but on the whole a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group event at FangOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014We had a group of twelve for a work dinner that included four guests from NYC and eight colleagues from SF. The dining area downstairs was ideal for our group as it provide adaquate space for a large group, our own room, very good service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChaniDined on 5/10/2014Loved the soup dumplings! Food was great... Got to meet owner, Kathy...was thrilled as I had read much about her, Fang and House of Nanking...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemRonRVIPDined on 5/10/2014We live 1 block from Fang and frequently take our friends for dinner there. The service and food are outstanding......and the price is right. There were 7 in our party Saturday night and the total bill was under $200; try that in San Francisco. And, we actually took food home. Fang isn't a large restaurant, so I do recommend a reservation through Open Table. Be prepared for hot, family-style dishes. Enjoy!! Dr RSpecial Features:
- Great food, good valueZeauManDined on 5/9/2014Recommended by concierge at SF Marriott Marquis & several locals confirmed it as a good choice. As recommended by previous reviews, opted to take the recommendations of Michelle who waited on us and we were pleased. Each dish was a hit and we even reordered a round of appetizers - loved the openfaced pork buns and the beef short ribs. Can get very busy during lunch so be sure to let wait staff know if you have time constraints. I highly recommend it! The outside was rather bland. The inside especially downstairs where our group of 8 sat was reminiscent of many restaurants I see in China with tables capable of seating 10-12 comfortably. The area we had was open but had 3 call so felt semi-private and worked for business discussion.Special Features:
- patrishDined on 4/25/2014Such good food. I revisit this place every time I'm in town. All appetizers are yummy. Mongolian beef and their barbecue spareribs are crazy good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors seem better at Nanking40yrsinsfDined on 4/21/2014My last meal at Fang was sorta flat in excitement When I leave House of Nanking my taste buds are very happy usually!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good portion sizeChicagotoSanFranChickDined on 4/20/2014It was a decent enough lunch. Wouldn't take out of towners to wow them or anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the GameInTheCityDined on 4/16/2014Instead of ordering from the menu, this time we decided to let the chef decide what to serve. It was a wonderful mix shrimp, beef and fish. It was easy, and truthfully, we may not have chosen these dishes.Special Features:
- Great Chineese Foodyoda4shodaVIPDined on 4/16/2014Went to this establishment on a whim with 2 friends. As we looked over the menu, our server asked us if we had been there before. When we told him we hadn't he took our menus away and said he'd take care of us. I honestly don't know what we ate (4 different dishes) but everything was quite good. Will go back.Special Features:
- Unless you are in the know...OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/14/2014do not come to this restaurant. It was obvious that we were first timers for them and we waited a long time before somebody even took our drink order. We were ignored several times after that, as well. Unless you order directly as it is stated on the menu, I would not go here. Substitutions are not welcome.Special Features:
- creative chineseisla88VIPDined on 4/8/2014If you want something different than traditional chinese menu you have to go here. They have very interesting dishes with lots of different ingredients. The buns filled with either beef, pork or duck made for very delicious appetizers along with steamed bok choy. We were there during happy hour so the prices for the apps were only $5 each. The entrees were excellent too. We were first in the place around 5:00 but by the time we left the place had filled up. The service was brisk with not much attention but didn't need much with the food being so perfect. Also try House of Nanking in chinatown which is a sister restuarant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami503FiveothreeVIPDined on 4/7/2014Went for quick lunch.....loved the duck buns and crispy short ribs!!! Went back 36 hours later and had the same items for dinner. Ate the other nights at $$$$ restaurants and must say enjoyed Fang more!Special Features:
- ExcellentWayneDined on 4/5/2014I have dined at Fang's each time in San Francisco. Excellent pot stickers with peanut sauce. Must have the sesame chicken &'the short ribs were great alsoSpecial Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014I was with 4 girls who all pretty much like everything. It was our first time to Fangs and we were not sure what to order. We asked the waitress what were her favorite dishes and instead of tell us she asked if she could just order for us. That was the best! We love every dish she sent out. All were perfect for sharing and still getting great portions for all 4 of us, the food can at a steady pace and not too fast. We all agreed that was the way to do it. We loved it!!Special Features:
- Local good foodRonRVIPDined on 4/4/2014Fang is a block from us, so convenient for walking. Our party size was 6; I do recommend a reservation for Friday or Saturday nights. The food and service were very good. The Chinese food came In family style platters and was served quickly and hot. The total for the 6 of us was under $150; hard to beat in San Francisco's SOMA district.Special Features:
- Great FoodBrandonSDined on 3/31/2014FANG is a must-visit for me in downtown San Francisco. My sole recommendation is that you allow the chef to select your dishes. This works especially well if you're dining as a group. Every dish that was set in front of us was amazing, from sweet buns to dumplings, to an amazing course of crispy prawns in an apple glaze along with perfectly cooked whitefish. The others in my group have been talking about this place days after eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Chinese cuisineBobOVIPDined on 3/30/2014Much to our surprise, this restaurant served about the best Chinese cuisine we have experienced. We are world travelled. But the biggest surprise was how everything on the menu is so very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Fang for DinneramilahDined on 3/30/2014Fun restaurant. Good food (although a little sweet for my taste) And best of all, it didn't break the bank. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!auntiegirlDined on 3/29/2014the best way to dine at any of Peter Fang's restaurant is to order your drinks and put yourself in the hands of the staff -- let them know the courses you want, any allergies or please avoids. Then wait for the magic to happen. The staff will begin to bring out amazing food -course after course all perfectly sized for your party of two or large group. Consistently wonderful food and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2014From start to finish the place provided horrible service. I will not be returning.
- In, fed, outAJohnstonDined on 3/21/2014They push you through because they are busy! The great thing is that to speed things up they dont even wait for your order. They ask if you want them to chose for you (we said yes). They brought fantastic dishes, good selection, fast, tasty, creative, good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang!RaymondDined on 3/20/2014Must visit when going to San Francisco. Very good place to enjoy Asian fusionSpecial Features:
- A confusing mealtallosaurusrexDined on 3/14/2014I wanted to like this place, I really did. I went with a large group and we were seated right away, even though the entire group had yet to arrive, which was a treat considering how strict most places in the city are about that. The menu looked fantastic, especially because it caters to vegans and those with gluten allergies. We were all set to order when the owner came over and decided he would order for us. We warned him of our restrictions and let him decide for us. As the food came out, the waiters did not tell us what any of the dishes were and when we asked, they didn't know if they were gluten free or veggie. It would have been infinitely easier to have just ordered our own dishes. Overall, the food was decent but drinks were bad.Special Features:
- Been here quite a few times.JayMDined on 3/12/2014Let the chef choose for the table and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same great food as House of NankingNateDined on 3/9/2014A better space than Nanking though. It was nice to see Chef Fang again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was flavorful -RoostVIPDined on 3/9/2014Each dish was flavorful - the country rice chowder being the stand out. The restaurant is tired - service on chipped plates. The wait staff seemed dazed and confused in general.
- Dinner at FangOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014Staff is really helpful -- ask them to order for you, and they will not disappoint, especially when there is a big group! Food was great and flavorful, though the mixed drinks were pretty poor in quality and watered down. Ambiance was quiet, but in the lower level there were a few flies, which was a real turn-off. Overall I'd recommend mainly because of the service, but they have some improvements to make on the drinks / ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You just can't beat Fang!CBCNYCDined on 3/5/2014I try and go every time I am in San Francisco. Simply amazing Chinese food! Don't even look at the menu. Put yourself in Mr. Fang's hands. Every dish that he puts on the table is a revelation and he has steered us to things we would have never ordered otherwise. This time it was a delicious fish dish. Always impressed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tailor-made Chinese delicaciesElaineDined on 3/5/2014If you ask Mr. Fang to order for you (and tell him of any allergies), you will get an incredible 5-course meal (not too much, dishes are light, just right) off-the-menu. And not expensive! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang eveningJerryDined on 3/3/2014Having met our son, we enjoyed excellent appetizers and drinks. It was a pleasant and enjoyable event.Special Features:
- Personalized experienceBleudevilVIPDined on 3/2/2014We appreciated the proprietor's offer to order for our party. This allowed us to experience the best dishes on the menu, notably the pork buns, shrimp salad and sesame chicken. However, service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow - blew me away! - A MUST!LisaVIPDined on 2/27/2014We were in for a trade show, which is why we happened upon Fang. While waiting for our table I chatted w/a woman who was eating at the bar. I asked her what she was eating and she told me...it looked awesome. When we sat down, a man - who happens to be Peter Fang the owner of the restaurant greeted us. He asked if we had been there before and when we said no, he said OK... I have got this... anyone have allergies or anything that they don't eat?? I don't eat meat (I do eat fish and veg) but everyone else said we eat it all... bring it on! What we had was the BEST CHINESE MEAL of my life. I live in NY, I thought I had great Chinese food. This blew me away - a must stop. House of Nanking in China town is also owned by him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food. Peter choosesMarienneDined on 2/27/2014Very good food. Peter chooses the menu for you if you don't know what to eat and would like to adventure trying dishes you have not had before. Service was fast but difficult to get their attention when you need something.Special Features:
- Amazing! A Must when Dining in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2014I had heard that Fang was amazing so a coworker and I went for lunch. Our look of uncertainty most have been noticed by the staff. They took over and told us not to worry -they made selections for us. We started with some tasty dumplings, then were served the most amazing beef sliced thin. We had to ask, it was their short ribs! We could've eatin that dish all day. The final dish was the pork buns. these were no ordinary buns, shaped more like tacos with a puffy bread shell filled with fried pork in a sweet sauce sprinkled with thinly sliced veggies. we were stuffed, it was just the right amount of food for lunch. We only wish we had more time to return for another meal! You must go and enjoy this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJaleaDined on 2/26/2014There are so many great restaurants in San Francisco I am so sad I chose this one to take my friend for her birthday dinner. The service was rushed and the food was so so. I will never go back.
- I had never been, but choseThorDined on 2/24/2014I had never been, but chose this establishment for a reunion with dear relatives after 50 years apart. Luckily, Peter Fang himself took an interest and we put the menu in his capable hands. We never had a better Chinese dinner. Thank you Mr Fang for an extraordinary experience that made the reunion that much more memorable. Two thumbs up!!Special Features:
- superb vegetarian mealoldbloomingtonianDined on 2/23/2014We asked for advice about the menu, explained that we are vegetarians, and the man who took our order asked whether we liked mushrooms and eggplant, and after we replied in the affirmative, he said, "I'll take care of you." And he did. There were four wonderful dishes: Mushrooms and Chinese barley; vegetable dumplings; a revelatory Chinese salad (apple, tomatoes, basil, puffed rice, cabbage); eggplant, mushrooms and tofu in a hearty sauce; and brown rice. The ambiance was simple and tasteful, soft lighting, and the service attentive. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang has some of the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Fang has some of the most creative and delicious Chinese food I've ever eaten. Unfortunately, the service is no where close to the level of the food. The waiters are disorganized and inattentive. Worst of all there is almost no consistency to the flow of service. One of our entrees actually ended up arriving before our appetizers, and the table next to us (who ordered ten minutes later than we did) received their entire meal before we had even got our onion cake. Mr. Fang also famously has the habit of ordering for customers. While nearly everything on the menu is excellent, he tends to go for the pricier items and some of the specials can be a bit hit and miss. I love this restaurant, but wish that they could get their act together.