1132 19th St. NW.
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.famousluigis.com/
- Phone: 2023317574
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmine Marzano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a banquet room for any occasion that can accommodate 20, 50 or 80 quests respectively.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 8886522855
- Entertainment: Every Thursday evenings from 7:00pm-10:00pm,
live violin player.
A word from Famous Luigi's
Famous Luigi's Family has been serving Italian food to the nation's capital since 1943.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Famous Luigi's reviews from OpenTable diners
- CLOSED!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/21/2013Luigi's was a delicious Italian restaurant that had been going for 70 years. It closed Saturday the 20th, to DC's loss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AntipastoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Antipasto was one of the best in America; pizza for one was superb; mussels were high quality and well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeknight DinnerhooverdogDined on 12/4/2013As always the pizza was awesome, but I would have to say the menu is misleading about the wine quantity choices. Our guest ordered from the $/$$ menu for a bottle of wine and the waitress brought a small carafe costing $15. Not enough for three glasses, let alone four for which we intended. Desserts, expresso and coffee flavorful, but should not have to chase the waitress around for refills or creamer. Water glasses were not refilled until we called to the waitress. Will be awhile before we return. I'm pretty sure this will be viewed and trashed, as with all negative comments, unless you are truly interested in keeping you customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite DC Italian RestaurantHossDined on 10/26/2013My husband and I found Luigi's 20 years ago on a trip to DC -- we consider it "our place." Food is always wonderful and we enjoy the busy atmosphere. The service is always excellent. It is a bustling place...but, that is part of its charm. We carbed up here for the Marine Corps Marathon and it did the trick!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold & rainy - comfort foodFoodAmoreDined on 10/11/2013We visited Luigi's looking for down home italian pasta dishes - the stick to your rib kind, on a cold, rainy night in the Dupont Circle area of Washington DC. Our meals fit the bill wonderfully. The home made ravioli and home made fettuccine with shrimp were VERY TASTY!! Nice red wine to accompany, focaccia bread with oil and balsamic - mama mia! Oh, and the garlic spinach - we ordered as a starter: excellent!Special Features:
- First ate there 40 years ago.papaTDined on 9/26/2013First ate there 40 years ago. Nice to know that some things last. Generous portions, well prepared, fairly priced, experienced wait staff. If you don't care about being "seen," great place to get a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinnerStellaDined on 8/23/2013service was great. loved the decor and atmosphere. spaghetti primera was average...caesar salads were expensive, tho huge. garlic cheese bread was yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontedMetroDinerDined on 8/7/2013My family and I have been here numerous times in the past and were pleased. This is our first visit since Dec. 2011. Great atmosphere. My pasta dish was very good. The pizza was not unfortunately. The dough tasted like bisquick. The rolls that came to our table before dinner were very dry biscuits. If I am in the mood for pizza I will pass, but would return for the pasta dishes.
- servicearunVIPDined on 7/27/2013We were very excited to try a new place. the service was very poor. the server came once and then forgot about us for a looong time. she then didn't bring the bread for awhile. then she didn't come to check on what we would like for a appy or entree. it just seemed she was very slow. we were disappointed. the food was fine.Special Features:
- Not bad...not great.JackVIPDined on 7/25/2013Nothing notable either way in our visit. The food was okay, but nothing that would command a return visit. The service was average. The ambiance is fair, with tables too close together. But it was close to hotel and you could easily get a reservation at short notice.
- Food was excellent. Not fancy,firstbadreviewVIPDined on 7/23/2013Food was excellent. Not fancy, just good old world ItalianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an enjoyable Friday nightfoodiemdDined on 7/19/2013Had an enjoyable Friday night meal with friends. The wait staff were particularly good--prompt, courteous, efficient, personable--plus our waiter had a nice sense of humor. The atmosphere was lively and cheerful, though the noise level was a bit high for easy conversation at our table of four. The food was good, if not outstanding. I would recommend the restaurant and plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pizzatwentydinerDined on 7/19/2013was perhaps the greatest pizza I have had in all of my 22 years. Mushrooms and fresh basil, yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh... Not badGbabDined on 7/19/2013Really busy so we were glad we had reservations. The seating is really tight, so if you like being cozy with adjacent tables, then you'd love this place. The good - The pizza was good and the portion size for 1 was more than enough. There is a lengthy list of fresh toppings. The gnocchi was also pretty good. The chocolate cake was moist and each of the types of chocolate complimented each other well. The so-so - the chicken parm was not at all satisfying as it was really firm and rubbery. (Btw, the grilled chicken that was in the gnocchi and pizza was better). The waitress offered to have it made again or have it removed from our bill and since the other dishes were so large, we just shared those. The service kept this from being a "bad".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here with the GF andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013Went here with the GF and had a great dinner! Pasta was good, and the sauce is delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little rustic. But goodnovickyDined on 7/3/2013A little rustic. But good family italian food. Don't get the pizza - too small and recipe has changed over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2013Had a great time. Party of four. Excellent. One couple had been to Italy and he said he liked Luigi's Gnocci (sp?) better! Our waiter, Q, was full of personality, helpful, and took our picture! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old FavoriteMikeDDined on 6/22/2013I've been to Luigi's a number of times over the past 20 years, and it has always been reliable if not fantastic. It has the perfect mid-level atmosphere that is rare in mid-town DC...not too fancy/stuffy and not too casual. For this trip, the service was good, but not overly friendly or warm. Unfortunately, the downside for me on this visit was the food. I ordered the Penne Rustic, which sounded great, but was ultimately pretty tasteless. I kept adding salt and red pepper to bring it to life, but didn't have much luck. I will definitely visit again, but will try another dish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good simple Italian food,TomAZVIPDined on 6/22/2013Good simple Italian food, well priced food and wine. Large portionsSpecial Features:
- Solid Neighborhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2013If you're dreaming of solid, well prepared neighborhood Italian dishes prepared like you remember when you were a kid, then this is the place. Waitstaff is engaged but not overbearing, the menu is familiar but not stuck in the 70s. Just a great spot for lunch when you're thinking of using that entire lunch hour (and maybe a little bit more).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/10/2013I had to make some last minute reservations for 7 and we ended up here. We got a variety of food including calamari, bruschetta, pizza, soup, and pasta and everything was really good and everyone was pleased with their food. The prices were great and service was very good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2013I am never disappointed at Luigi's. Authentic Italian with great service is always expected. I will be returning soon!Special Features:
- just oktryingnewthingsDined on 5/22/2013Everything about this place was just ok. The pizza was decent but really greasy and way too much cheese. The pasta was good but needed lots of salt. The service was the worst part of the meal but still not horrible.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodGoofycDined on 5/18/2013Looked at several Italian restaurants in the D.C. area, but were unable to find very many that had specific items on the menu. Found a couple that did, only Luigi's had reservations available on the night we wanted to dine. We were greeted and seated immediately. Soon we were served our ordered drinks and appetizers. Calamari was exceptional. Our main course arrived and each of us in our party(4) enjoyed our meal very much. Service was very good and attentive. It is a bit crowded between tables but OK. Very noisy. I wish they had music to help offset the chatter in the dining area. It would be a nice touch. Overall, a very good experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of 19! EveryoneGarrygradDined on 5/18/2013We were a party of 19! Everyone had a great meal and the service was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I go back again and againcollegeregularDined on 5/12/2013Famous Luigi's is a perfect combination of atmosphere and taste. The restaurant has tasteful music, candlelit checkered tables, but most importantly fine cuisine. The menu is so extensive that I can get something different every time I go and always be surprised by a delicious and satisfying meal, down to the rolls they bring to the table. Good for any occasion, I take everyone there. And for DC, it is extremely reasonable considering its quality.Special Features:
- The food was only okay. TheBostonnewbyDined on 5/2/2013The food was only okay. The table for 4 people was too cramped. Couldn't fit wine glasses and appetizers all on same table without piling everything on each other. It made for an uncomfortable dining experience.Special Features:
- Best pizza in townPhyllisVIPDined on 5/2/2013Have eaten here many times and there is never a surprise . Consistently good. Pizza is the best but their other dishes are equally delicious. Good wine list and moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 38 years since our first visitWGORDined on 4/26/201338 years since our first visit and we keep coming back...with family and friends for special occasions/celebrations. Just as fun whether it's a quiet family birthday celebration or a lively group of 10-14 friends. The friendly staff is welcoming and attentive to all, and make a visit to Luigi's more than a meal. Several staff members have been there as long as we've been coming, and haven't aged a day...nor have we!Special Features:
- Very crowded on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/20/2013Very crowded on a Saturday night, cozy though. Our server was super friendly, funny and joked around with us. I ordered the penne with salmon in rose sauce....to die for. My husband ordered the chicken alfredo. We have definitely tasted better else where like Olazzo's in Bethesda. Overall, great ambiance, cute, quaint and cozy.Special Features:
- Good selection of food, easyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2013Good selection of food, easy going place, the waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great food and a value forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013Great food and a value for the price. Here on two recent occasions....service not consistent. Enjoyed homemade pastas....very tasty! Several moderate price choices here, including pizza.Special Features:
- Went for a girls lunch duringaveryhpDined on 4/3/2013Went for a girls lunch during work, although it was during lunch rush it wasn't too crowded and we were able to get in and out in a hour. Our waiter seemed a tad confused but I think he was new. The portions we huge and I only ate half my pasta so I had lunch for the next day!Special Features:
- Unfortunately, our pre-reservationGoodChowDined on 3/26/2013Unfortunately, our pre-reservation meant very little, as our 6:45 reservation didn't happen for about an hour later...
- My office is about a blockOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/26/2013My office is about a block away and so whenever I need to go for lunch with somebody and want something a click above sandwiches, Famous Luigi's is always a good choice. I'm from North NJ where the Italian food is particularly good and FL's can hang in there with them. I just took 7 people from my team out to lunch. Lunch of three very good pizzas cost about $70. And a good time was had by all. One caution. I made the reservation through Open Table and they had no record of it when we arrived.
- Nicely tailored menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/15/2013Our party of 4 enjoyed pre-marathon dinner. The specials on the menu had been crafted with pre-carbing in mind. All four entrees were top notch, served piping hot. No room for dessert, but willdef go back again and end the meal with something from the tempting dessert menu.Special Features:
- Always good at luigisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/6/2013Place is always much better than OK. Had great service. Started at a smallish table for four but they happily moved us to a 6 seater. Attentive service from all. Bartender came to table when she noticed the need. Fabulous antipasto and olives/pepperocini apps. Pizza tasty, hot, well cooked. Two had tiramisu and wanted more.Special Features:
- The homemade pasta was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2013The homemade pasta was great. It is always wonderful to see an Italian restaurant offer fresh homemade pasta and prepared well.Special Features:
- Loved the pasta, was onlyAlbertDined on 3/1/2013Loved the pasta, was only so-so on the pizza, even though most people like it seems... but mine was oily... usually has to do with the cheese... service was fine... its a basic italian restaurant with good prices and big menu.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant. IBertVIPDined on 2/14/2013I love this restaurant. I try to get there anytime I travel to DC. Try the linguini with white wine sauce. Better than Mama's !Special Features: