Famous Greek Kitchen
10 North water Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Famous Greek Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.famousgreekkitchen.com/
- Phone: 2035316887
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Stavros Karipides
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Famous Greek Kitchen
Opened 33 years ago this family style Greek restaurant has been a staple in Greenwich, CT. Today it has been passed down from one generation to the next. John's son Seve, a Culinary Institute of America graduate, has expanded the menu with simple, healthy, homemade dishes. The decor has been updated and the service still remains top notch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Famous Greek Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Greenwich ›
Famous Greek Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (15)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food...looking for more wineCustomerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Awesome food....wine list kinda narrow....should be more Greek and Middle Eastern Wine (e.g. Lebanon, Israel, Turkey) but also some good Californias like BV, Acacia, Sterling, Provenance and Rosenblum. Would really strengthen an alreaydy awesome food offering....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better every time we go.......1travellerDined on 10/7/2014Our third time at this neighborhood gem...the food gets better each time we go. Great for take-out as well. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Greek fiidPamPVIPDined on 9/26/2014Nice to have a Greek restaurant that goes back to more basic Greek food. Everything was yummy although one of our entrees was a little dried out. The "special" mint hummus was a little odd tasting. Otherwise we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/26/2014We love their menu....more than just your traditional Greek food, which they also serve. The food is very good and the service outstanding. We are becoming regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhoodLTEOVIPDined on 9/25/2014My family and I have become regulars at FGK. The food is very good and the restaurant has a nice ambiance. Their grilled octopus appetizer is amazing! The wait staff is friendly and welcoming. The service is attentive and never rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it tremendouslyShellyVIPDined on 9/21/2014Restaurant is truly a neighborhood gem - food was fresh and delicious. Perfect for a quick (or slow) spur of the moment meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WineCustomerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Wine list screams for more Greek wines and also some strong California's: BV, Sterling, RosenblumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not go backChrisVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was just ok and service was very slow. I took an hour for appetizers to arrive and then waited another half hour for our entrees.
- tangoVIPDined on 9/1/2014Our first visit there. All courses were very good. One problem, Souvlaki dish served on spits (sticKs) and it was very difficult to remove chicken from the sticks. In fact we could not. Ate meat by slicing it off the stick. Maybe thats the way it works , I"m not an expert on Greek food. But dish was tasty and enjoyed . Will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Greek foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014I only gave ambiance 3 stars because we had a loud family with kids sitting behind us. We were with children ourselves so we were probably more forgiving than most, but we could not even hear ourselves think. Our kids were annoyed. But the important stuff: Food is great. Everything we got was cooked to perfection and delicious. The portions are plentiful. I had been for lunch and also ordered takeout so I knew if liked it, but it was my husbands first time and he loved it. He works in NYC and has dinner at top Greek restaurants Kellari Tavern and Milo's and he said it was just as good. He always gets the grilled octopus and is pretty discerning and at FGK it was "excellent".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoliddinnerguestsDined on 8/29/2014We thought the food was excellent. Great greek dishes, great fish. Very enjoyable night of dining. Good service. The owners are very kind and really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- time and time again FGK delivershungrymanVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our family has eaten here several times and it never disappoints. The grilled octopus and saganaki are classic dishes but their specials change often. From the rack of lamb to the gyro (pronounced yearo) platter to the deep dish style pizza to the fresh grilled fish....all outstanding. I am really appreciating the wines by the glass and the wait staff is not only attentive but extremely knowledgeable and family friendly. I also think the prices are a great value.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSHF22Dined on 8/9/2014The staff was warm and welcoming, the service was outstanding, and the atmosphere was excellent. In addition to the traditional Greek choices they also have great fish as well as steaks and burgers. This is a "don't miss" place to go.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Great food and nice staff. We had souvlaki, gyro and falafel platter with salad. It was delicious. The waitress was nice and the place is pretty, with comfortable booths. We hope to return to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:
- Delicious Greek FoodRed250VIPDined on 7/4/2014Ingredients are fresh and finished dishes delicious. Hot fresh pita is amazing, the grilled lamb riblet appetizer is wonderful. The Tzatziki is traditionally prepared and great with the hot pita. The cheese pizza is also delicious. No dish I have tried has disappointed.Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Famous Greek Kitchen reviews archive.
- Greek WinesCustomerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Awesom,e and authentic food, but really weak wine list. Particularly the absence of Greek wines. Many are available...just have to push the distributor. Also, some good Californias like BV, Sterling, Acacia, Dynamite and Rosenblum work nicely with great Greek food.Special Features:
- Great find!mikeycooksDined on 6/18/2014My friend brought me here a year ago and I've been back so many times since because it's great! I've also brought a bunch of friends and they all really love it, so I know I'm not crazy. Stuffed grape leaves, baked saganaki or feta, lamb ribs, traditional Greek Salad, gyro, felafel - everything we have is really solid and well done. The prices are very reasonable, and service is really spot-on; the staff is attentive and friendly, and very, very helpful.Special Features:
- GoodPeterDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful neighborhood restaurant. Family owned and reliable food and service.Special Features:
- Famous Greek Kitchen ReviewMickeyHerbVIPDined on 5/8/2014The entire experience was excellent; food was great, and the ambience was also just what we were looking for; quiet enough for plenty of easy conversation without being dead. This was a perfect meeting place between Fairfield, CT and Astoria, NY since we were meeting my daughter at a halfway point, and wanted a superior restaurant for our meeting.Special Features:
- recent find....1travellerDined on 5/7/2014This is a great little neighborhood find....good food, earnest staff and chef. Very generous portions. Try it!Special Features:
- Great Greek FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2014Delicious food with wonderful , attentive service, pleasant atmosphere . Shrimp souvlaki was excellent and plentiful, rigatoni was enough for 3. Best baklava.Special Features:
- great comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We have eaten at FGK a few times and its been consistently good. The greek food definitely has a bit of a modern twist to it. The warm feta cheese with figs and honey melts in your mouth. I had the grilled fish and it was done perfectly. Would recommend to my friends to try FGKSpecial Features:
- Reliably excellentMamahenniferDined on 3/21/2014I had a reliably excellent dinner which included the Greek appetizer platter (shared by 3 of us) and one of the fish specials (pink snapper). Between the prompt and courteous service and the delicious food, it was a pleasure to dine at the Famous Greek Kitchen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that Greek foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/7/2014Consistently full tables are an indication of how good this restaurant is. The food and the service is impressive. The fair prices are another incentive to travel there. We have been there four times in the last month and a half and are going again next week to introduce more friends to this find.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just outstandingLovetoeatVIPDined on 2/26/2014Found this restaurant on open table. Then looked at trip advisor. I was shocked to see this restaurant was rated number 1 In Greenwich. Well it was a fabulous meal. The rigatoni was better than any Italian restaurant I have been to in a while. The scallops were cooked just perfect and had great flavoring. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Neiguborhood Go-ToOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/19/2014Famous has long been a popular neighborhood pizza/Greek restaurant with basic menu and good prices. Recently they remodeled and are trying to transition to a more upscale . The current status is that they are somewhat schizophrenic; on the one hand they still offer the pizza/Greek basics, but they now offer many specials. I was glad that I asked the prices as they were very expensive. Some of the waitstaff appear to be in training. They still offer booths, no tablecloths, and cutlery diner-style, i.e inside paper napkins held together with a paper strip. Overall the feed is abundant and of good quality, but if you go ask for the special prices unless you don't mind being surprised.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!OBriensDined on 2/14/2014We had delightful and authentic greek food. The decor is fresh and updated and the service was attentive. I had the lamb chops and they were perfect medium rare with a wonderful herb and lemon pesto. My husband had the fish. It was moist and the flavors were delicate to honor the fish. It was great to meet one of the sister owners. She was so kind and friendly! We will definitely be back alone or with our daughters !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza Around !!!! Foodloom58VIPDined on 2/14/2014Best Pizza Around !!!! Food is just as good !!! Staff are wonderful !!! Nuff Said!!!!Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantMaryDined on 12/7/2013Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. Tasted like homemade, but from a chef who knows what he/she is doing!! The portions were generous and the prices reasonable. We hope to become regulars. It hits just the right note between a casual neighborhood place, and a special night out with friends. Service was impeccable. Lots of nearby parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/2/2013The restaurant was very crowded the night we went. As a result, the staff and kitchen were very frazzled The service was very slow and the food was not what was described by the waiter.i definitely would not return on a Saturday night. If there is a next time, I would go for lunch.
- No'stimaloom58VIPDined on 10/3/2013You almost forget how great the food is with the warm and energetic atmosphere ! It's as if the staff is your family and you're over for sunday dinner :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemManhattan1VIPDined on 9/21/2013We have lived in Greenwich for years & had never heard of this restaurant. It has a very well decorated interior that is a pleasure to see. There are many choices on the menu and everything we had was very good. The staff are very friendly and the waiter we had was very enthusiastic about each dish with detailed descriptions. We will return there for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant restaurant surpriseHartsdaleDined on 8/17/2013This restaurant is in isolated location, but easily accessed after you visit for first time. Recently renovated and large table/booths are very comfortable. Food is tasty with attractive plate presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/27/2013This restaurant has been here for 35 years and we have been going there for 35 years. Always good and consistent, if basic. Recently they renovated and expanded the restaurant and added a few outside tables; there is a new menu with more choices. They seem to have added many dinner specials - but ask prices so you won't be shocked as the specials are far more expensive than what is listed on the menu, and they don't volunteer that info unless you ask..Special Features:
- Special Greek find in GreenwichWaveDined on 6/29/2013Really don't know how we have missed this restaurant for so long. Just outstanding service and the food was over the top. Each and every recommended dish was excellent Second generation family member has taken over the kitchen and really kicked it up a notch EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2013Don't let the outside of this revamped family own restaurant deter you. The interior houses a beautifully renovated Greek/Italian restaurant and the cuisine reflects the second generation's CIA training. There were four people in our party and everyone was delighted with the food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Greek food and I heardOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/2013I love Greek food and I heard about this "Greek Kitchen" in Greenwich from a friend of mine, just had to try it! My husband and I went last night. There were so many items on the menu that we wanted to try. Our waiter recommended the Greek Tasting platter since we were newbies. It was fantastic, especially the greek fried cheese and grapleaves. I ordered the the whole fish Red Snapper and my husband ordered the Grilled Lamb Chops, both were equally amazing! We shared the "5 shades" salad and it's a must have if you go. We loved our wine and there was so many great choices. If your a wine enthusiast then you know that Bertani Amarone is amazing, and they have it at a great price! We will be back.Special Features: