880 North East Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.voltfamilymeal.com/
- Phone: 3013782895x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily, Monday-Sunday
Breakfast: 7:00 am to 11:30 am
Lunch: 11:30 am to 4:30 pm
Dinner: 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Family Meal
A modern American diner, Family meal offers reasonably priced all-day meals inspired by comfort classics. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner by chef Bryan Voltaggio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Family Meal - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Family Meal reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (166)kid-friendly (132)great for lunch (131)neighborhood gem (114)great for brunch (88)good for groups (72)hot spot (50)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (45)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)Show More
- SurprisingmnkyboyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Normally, when we have eaten here. It has been great! Not sure what happened but our chicken pot pie fritters were cold in the center & seemed mass produced, which was not typical! We normally love these & get them every time we stop in. The server must have been new because she was extremely slow!!! We got our fritters before we got our drinks! We aren't giving up on this place yet because we really do enjoy it. Hopefully, next time will be better!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Family Meal is my favorite restaurant. My friend and I are there at least one a week for breakfast.I recommend it to anyone who asks for a nice place to eat in Frederick.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014They were very busy and I could tell they hadn't expected a crowd. We arrived 5 minuets before our reservation and after seeing 3 couples who just arrived get seated, I stopped the seating person and she said "you have a reservation?" I told her yes and we were seated shortly after that. No problem, they picked up the tab for the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We had to wait past our reservation due to crowding, and the staff at Family Meal was incredibly accommodating. They comped us drinks and appetizers and repeatedly came by to apologize for the wait. After we were seated, the food was delicious as always. Well worth the drive to Frederick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerwineanddine4funDined on 8/23/2014My friend took me to Family Meal to celebrate my birthday. We arrived a few minutes late and our table wasn't ready, so we ordered an appetizer at the bar and ended up staying there for our meal as the seating was quite comfortable. The fried chicken had a light, crispy breading, and was moist inside. The biscuits were OK, nothing to write home about. We shared a side of onion rings and duck fat fries, both delicious. The staff was attentive. Overall, Family Meal is one of the more enjoyable dining experiences I've had in Frederick, MD. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Saturday night dinner with friendsCocoaDined on 8/23/2014Heard wonderful things about this restaurant. Menu was interesting and the food was very good. No disappointment there. Downside was the person behind the bar passing the food to the servers was rudely screaming at his waitstaff, the room was so noisy you could barely think and the seats were so uncomfortable it was difficult to stay in them. The best part about the evening besides friends and good food was our server, Conner. He is a gem. Very attentive and helpful. Ask for his station if you go. He will make your evening a very pleasant experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalpianellaDined on 8/23/2014I have eaten here before, but this time went with my cousin, a chef and restaurant owner. He was very impressed with the bar service, food service and expediter. Our food was beautifully cooked, exceptional in flavor and presentation. Our server, Connor, was friendly, efficient, knowledgeable about the food, and fun and personable. Who would have thought that meatloaf could have such complexity! The Brussells sprouts were amazing. The service runs like clockwork, despite the fact that it was Saturday night and very busy. It's loud, but not so you can't have a conversation. The décor is casual and friendly, the food superb and the general atmosphere fun and deservedly busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought it would be betterUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 8/23/2014Cool vibe to this place. Not a great view, back of an industrial area with dumpsters, but beautiful windows and immediate area landscaping. Food was good the real stand out was the chicken pot pie balls-that was the most unusual thing and you must try them... You get a serving of five-weird number for sharing between two people. They have soups, salads, sandwiches, a few entrees and desserts. I'm not sure if they have specials, we were not told by our server. Didn't really care for our server she was not really warm or attentive. Never filled the water glasses unless asked. Big note... For true southerners their ice tea is flavored... A 'passion fruit' flavor... Why do restaurants insist this is good-fresh brewed iced tea please...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to place for good foodtcbpapaDined on 8/22/2014Upscale food and service in a casual dining environment. We visit often and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going backkittersmomDined on 8/22/2014Took my husband and father in law this time, and they LOVED it! They are not so much into "gourmet" food, so the fried chicken, mac and cheese, chicken pot pie bites, and onion rings were perfect for them. We will be back!Special Features:
- OutstandingDowntownJonVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had an outstanding dinner at FM this week. Deviled eggs, wedge salad, pot pie fritters, meatloaf, salmon. All were very tasty and well prepared. This place continues to raise their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love trying Volt's restaurants!yummyDined on 8/21/2014A great way to try incredible food at a bargain price. Staff was very attentive and food almost came TOO fast! We loved the food choices and combos--our only complaint was some of the dishes were a little too heavily salted. Would certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJacksonDined on 8/17/2014A great place to bring a family for dinner...nice to be in a place where a little rambunctiousness is ok. Fine food and great service!Special Features:
- Very disappointedMJSsDined on 8/16/2014The food and ambiance was not as expected. Not acceptable!
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This is certainly one if the best places in the Frederick Area, if not, THE best. I was very pleased with my meal, and I'm not embarrassed to say that we ate every little bit of what we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedJagermonster1971Dined on 8/15/2014Very good food, very good atmosphere. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great place but food hit and missJess6521Dined on 8/15/2014Family Meal is a nice, casual place. The ambiance is great, laid back. Service was great. Deviled eggs were okay, I expected something more original. Go for the scallop app instead. Much better. Stay away from the pork loin. It had zero seasoning and was way over cooked. The vegetables on the plate were superb, as was the corn bread. My husbands dinner was much better. He had the steak dish. Didn't get dessert. Would try it again. I heard the fried chicken is the best. Looked great but I had already ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Famuly Meal!kittersmomDined on 8/15/2014My sister and I went for restaurant week but we ended up ordering from the regular menu. There are just too many good choices. We had the onion rings and the hoe cakes. Both are excellent. We shared the fried chicken and the burger with egg. It was wonderful. We also got the brussel sprouts. LOVE LOVE LOVE them and I want that taste in a cream soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!BirthdayFunDined on 8/14/2014We have been to Family Meal several times. This time we met special friends there, and it was fabulous. We ordered the 3 course lunch, and it was excellent. Best gazpacho my husband has ever had. My eggplant sandwich was amazing, and the smokey peach cobbler was divine. Did I mention how much we liked it? It's a fun spot to take guests from out of town. Upbeat, trendy, modern, with fantastic food. The portions aren't overwhelming, but just right. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Meal - Worth the tripBarbDVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our dinner at family Meal was truy excellent. The duck fat fires with dipping sauces were delicious, as was the fried chicken. The shrimp and grits was one of the best renditions I've tasted. Everything was well prepared and served with a smile. Next time, I'm going to try the chicken pot pie fritters. Portions are large -- be warned!Special Features:
- Comfort food done wellmitchluxDined on 8/10/2014Diner-like setting with diner-like food, but buffed up with a chef's touch. Great place to go for comfort classics like fried chicken and biscuits, or an over-stuffed shrimp po' boy sandwich. Casual, dressed down atmosphere. The kind of place you want to go back to often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripViennafamilyoffourDined on 8/9/2014We stopped in on our way home to DC from Pittsburgh. Delicious food executed very well- we all agreed we wanted to try everything on the menu over repeat visits. All were pleased with ages ranging from 9 to 59 - if you have an adventuresome palate and are willing to drive, Family Meal is worth the drive to Frederick. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- MarzyDined on 8/9/2014I was incredibly impressed with the price and specifically the cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Judge a Book by Its CoverjescapunkDined on 8/8/2014You could almost miss this place on the road, but, once you're inside, it's sleek & inviting with rustic/industrial decor. The staff was friendly & on top of their game - even when we came in to dine late on a weekday! Prices are reasonable. Pot Pie Fritters were awesome. Should've gotten 2 orders instead of opting to try the deviled eggs too (they were ok). Duck fat fried potatoes were great & had 3 sauces to dip - sriracha concoction was my fave. We had the meatloaf & the butcher steak- definitely delectable! :) Tried their birch beer & it was great. They offered plenty of chilled water- clear ice cubes! Shared a milkshake to go - decadent. Hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did! We'll be back to try all the other menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014Not a bad place to eat. I tried their Fried Chicken (Plate) and it was really tasty, juicy with good flavouring from the crust--very good. The milkshakes were okay, and chicken dumplings fritters were pretty good. We had the duck fat french fries and it was kind of salty for my taste (on a low sodium diet) The pricing for lunch was relatively high and the portion sizes were large. Service staff were very prompt and at-tentative. Overall for the value a B+Special Features:
- Just what we needed.sueshinycDined on 8/2/2014After eating camp food for 4 weeks, we welcomed this meal. perfect for our two young kids (5 and 6) who ate everything and perfect for us foodies. High quality good meal, with great drinks and awesome service.Special Features:
- Family Fun at Family MealMacnQDined on 8/2/2014A fine informal dining location, lots of parking. We were there on a Saturday evening and it was packed, people were waiting to be seated. If there is not a table available you can go to the bar and get a drink. A highlight was the crab salad (they will split it for you), grilled romaine, crab, manchego cheese and a great dressing. The chicken pot pie bites are a great shared appetizer. Entrees: Shrimp and grits: the shrimp come with the heads attached but what a meal. Fantastic burgers, great fries, how about mac'n'cheese for a shared side? Salmon was a nice fillet and nicely presented. Save room, the adult milkshakes are great. As I said it was packed so it is a little noisy but there is available outside seating also.Special Features:
- A Winner!RangerBuffDined on 8/2/2014I've been wanting to come here since I first read about it in the Washington Post a while back. Our dinner was excellent as was our waiter, Connor. We didn't notice how noisy the dining room was until we stepped outside to head for our car. The next time we will sit outside if the weather allows. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy but tastyAmyloveDined on 8/1/2014The food we had was tasty and our server, Connor, was friendly and helpful. Having wanted to try a Voltaggio restaurant, I was happy with my experience. Not sure the price of the food is justified, however. Too expensive to bring the whole family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodYummoDined on 8/1/2014As always, Family Meal is a hit! Chef Jack always makes the best of whatever he brings to the table. And you cannot beat the duck fat fries!Special Features:
- ambience could be improvedMarloweDined on 7/31/2014The food was very good. The ambience could be improved simply be adding tablecloths. The wooden tables make it hard to see how clean they are, and we happened to see another table being cleaned in what looked like a less than thorough manner. There seemed to be some confusion over who was serving our table, but that got straightened out. Unfortunately, our served forgot one of the three entrees and that disrupted our meal a bit.
- Best Plan B EverSophia621VIPDined on 7/31/2014We were visiting Frederick and planned to go to Volt- only to find out they are no longer open for lunch (we had gone there about three years ago). Volt recommended we go to Family Meal, and when we mentioned to someone from Frederick that we would be going there, they told us we were in for a treat. They weren't kidding! All of the food was local, fresh, creative and delicious. The duck fat fries and dipping sauces are worth blowing your diet for. Fish tacos were great. The service was perfect- friendly and attentive but not overbearing. The desserts looked incredible. Definitely want to return for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Mealjmr1956Dined on 7/26/2014Great food, large portions, and great service. Plenty of parking. Nice ambience and energetic scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Birthday Lunch /Grown KidsPDS1951Dined on 7/26/2014The kids chose the restaurant--it is one of their favorites. I was smart enough to make reservations. Two of us were vegetarians and two were carnivores and it was all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal, Comedic ServiceMDinerDined on 7/25/2014This was I our first time at Family Meal, having been to Volt several times over the years. The service on Friday (July 25) was just plain humorous. The staff could not get out of there own way, literally and figuratively. Fortunately we were in a good mood so it made for a good show. Our sides were incorrect and we had to ask three times for additional items. Our waiter apologized so many times it was close to embarrassing. A number of times we saw various members of the wait staff yelling at each other. The expeditor and "bartender" looked to be in each other's way all night and no other staff could pass between them (poor kitchen design?). The food, which was a little slow, met or exceeded our expectations. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Something For EveryonejoeatsoutDined on 7/25/2014My son had a burger on his birthday. He always likes the Family Meal burger. My wife was not too hungry and was quite happy with the scallop appetizer and a salad. I had a nice piece of red snapper with fava beans and "not your typical mushrooms". Not something I often (ever) have at home and I cook a lot. Nice sides of brussel sprouts and collard greens. Split the donuts for dessert with a nice cappuccino, mine fortified with a taste of Amaretto. Will continue to visit this restaurant for very good, somewhat different, but not a pretentious "higher end" food and restaurant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveDennisDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is owned and operated by a celebrity chef who was a contestant on "Top Chef." The menu is not particularly extensive, but everything we ate was interesting, innovative and delicious. The locale is away from the historic district in Frederick, MD so if sightseeing is part of your evening out you'll need to move your car. The service was excellent. Everyone worked together serving and clearing dishes. Our waiter was a great help in choosing drinks, appetizers, entrees and dessert. He really understood the menu and preparation.Special Features:
- Love Family Meal!FamilyoffourDined on 7/20/2014We love it even more every time we go. The service is terrific, and every dish we got was delicious once again. The braised greens are amazing, and the fried chicken reminds one of how fried chicken used to taste. We never have room for dessert. I bet it is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Awesome MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We go here quite often becuase we always know it will be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoked BBQ in place of PastramicedarVIPDined on 7/19/2014Family Meal makes their own pastrami & it takes 5 days to make so when they were out of it recently, they couldn't just make more. I was disappointed because it is wonderful, tender and flavorful. The smoked BBQ I had instead was a worthy replacement. This is a high-end diner to be sure but well worth the experience,I believe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.