880 North East Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.voltfamilymeal.com/
- Phone: 3013782895x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily, Monday-Sunday
Breakfast: 7:00 am to 11:30 am
Lunch: 11:30 am to 4:30 pm
Dinner: 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Family Meal
A modern American diner, Family meal offers reasonably priced all-day meals inspired by comfort classics. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner by chef Bryan Voltaggio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Family Meal - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Family Meal reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (170)great for lunch (121)kid-friendly (113)neighborhood gem (108)great for brunch (69)good for groups (62)great for outdoor dining (45)hot spot (45)special occasion (38)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)notable wine list (5)romantic (3)Show More
- Okay dinnerMichael818VIPDined on 10/14/2014To be fair, I was expecting someplace different from this Voltaggio offering. Perhaps I should have been paying closer attention to the reviews. The location is in an industrial area with nothing else around. The staff was enthusiastic but not as experienced as they might have been. Dinner wasn't rushed at all but there were few return visits by the server to see if drinks needed refilling. The food was good but unexceptional. Entrees were sized nicely and priced fairly. It's a nice meal but I'm not sure I would make it a regular stop.I think my expectations were too high.
- Terrible placeJamesDined on 10/14/2014Noise was like an airplane factory with multiple blenders going at the same time. Good was greasy although onion rings were almost fair. We will never return.
- Family MealMatchboxVIPDined on 10/13/2014I will start by saying that I am a huge fan of Bryan Voltaggio having watched him on Top Chef and from dining three times at Volt. Yes, I understand that the Family Meal concept is totally different but the food is not as the diners expect it to be. For example, both the fried chicken and duck fat fries are tasty but when served not crispy in the least. On a more positive note, the service was excellent. The waitstaff is very well trained, personable, and efficient. Dining at Family Meal is not inexpensive for the type of food served. I feel people would feel better about the total experience if the food served was better and more notable than it currently is.
- Not so muchGFfoodieDined on 10/12/2014Consider it a neighborhood diner-over salted entrees and lots of fried food options as well as meatloaf, hamburgers, and mac cheese (also fried BTW). The waitstaff were exceptional. I am celiac and cannot eat anything that has so much as touched gluten-including the oil in the frier if used for ANYTHING having gluten. When I drilled down on items the staff was great about digging for answers; such as; upon receiving the Brussels sprouts (recommended as a gluten free) i noted that they looked blistered as if they had been deep fried! Indeed, when I inquired our waitress went back to the kitchen (again), and they were deep fried and not gluten free. Food was average, cocktails awful. The service is it's saving grace.
- Nice brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our experience, the food was very good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KelleyDined on 10/11/2014Always great food! Service rocks! Love the milkshakes too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but,NukingDined on 10/11/2014I expected more. Even though the reviews warned of the noise level, it was difficult to carry on a conversation at the table. The narrow confines meant that servers and other patrons bumped the back of my chair every 2-3 minutes. The food had elements of interest but did not leave up to expectations. One scallop for an appetizer was was good but unsatisfying.Special Features:
- Out of this world delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My co-workers and I dined at Family Meal and we walked away extremely pleased with our food and the whole dining experience. Our table host was very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. The food was delicious, creative and absolutely memorable! I don’t usually eat desserts but I had a bite from three that were ordered by my colleagues and I have to say, I was blown away, had to go for seconds. Bottom line, if you are in Fredrick area, you should this restaurant, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Happy Birthday to me...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My wife wanted to take me somewhere different for my birthday, and this seemed an apt choice. We'd only eaten there a couple of times and felt it would provide a good opportunity to be away from our normal routine. Bravo! Sat outside and enjoyed the breeze, the conversation and the charming wait staff. Well done.Special Features:
- Unique & tastyLilblueyesVIPDined on 10/6/2014I only tried the Chicken Pot Pie Fritters and the Pumpkin Soup. Who knew you could have tiny bites of chicken pot pie?!?! So very light & tasty. The soup was super creamy and divine. Will be back for more.Special Features:
- great little gem in townDCTejana1Dined on 10/4/2014Highly recommend the fried chicken and a few of the appetizers were a twist on some old favorite recipes. Highly recommend, although it is a bit overpriced in my opinion. gotta get the fried chickenSpecial Features:
- Family Meal food was excellentKenRDined on 10/4/2014This is the scaled-down Volt. Full of family-friendly meals and feel-good dining. Duck fat fries were excellent and plentiful. Enough for a teenager and family. Comfort food abounds. Mac and cheese with pimiento was excellent. Fried Chicken basket was crispy and non-greasy. The pork belly BLT was a delicious twist on an old favorite! The only thing to complain about was the taps were broken and the interesting draft beers were unavailable. Bottled beers were of a good variety and the waiter recommended a winner. Don't let the neighborhood fool you, this is a classy place with efficient service, great comfort food and decent prices. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrGoodbar2014Dined on 9/28/2014I will be back. We really enjoyed this spot and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast...yes please!JeanneDined on 9/28/2014This was our second time dining at Family Meal for breakfast. The food is wonderful, and we sat outside, which was very nice. The service was good as well. We will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server was very helpful in accommodating by suggesting vegetarian entrees that were not on the menu for my wife. It was great to see them so flexible. My wife really enjoyed her meal. The cocktails were great and our server was quick to suggest something to my taste. Great service and food.Special Features:
- Catfish Not Properly CookedGranddadDined on 9/26/2014I ate with my wife and granddaughter and except for the catfish I ordered all was good. Even the first few bites of the catfish was excellent. But the rest of the catfish was rubbery and the cooks second attempt was worse. The manager did everything she could to smooth things over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaySowersEatsDined on 9/24/2014My family visited Family Meal for the first time this week to celebrate my birthday and we all had fantastic food! The Adult Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake was amazing and the Shrimp and Grits was delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed DinnerBirthdayFunDined on 9/22/2014We had nice cocktails, tasty dinner, and yummy desserts. The service was excellent. I always like bringing friends and family here for a Frederick treat.Special Features:
- Awesome dining in FrederickbafflerDined on 9/21/2014Family meal is the rare place that satisfies both the sophisticated food tastes of the grown ups and the hipster aesthetic of the teens. I would recommend for just about any occasion - we did this post family hike, and there was a rare moment of unity in our maturing familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon, bacon, BACON!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014Alright already. Bacon with (and overpowering) scallops, in biscuits and on ice cream. And that's trying to avoid bacon. The Voltaggios should be above this dying fad. Food barely ranks good rather than fair. We ordered the fried chicken hoping for a shining example of crispy skin and Family Meal's came up way short. The asparagus salad and sauteed spinach were both tasty but too salty. The duck fat french fries were sublime and left us wishing for more interesting dipping sauces. The peach cobbler was very disappointing: little peach flavor in the peak of peach season and overly sweet to boot. We were hoping for more.
- Anniversary diningAnniversaryfaveDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Family Meal. The food, as always was excellent. We had appetizers of the pork belly and deviled eggs. The grits are to die for and I don't even like grits. We shared the fried chicken with sides of grits and brussels sprouts. My husband had the Pumpking beer while I enjoyed a glass of the pinot noir. I will add, though, that the wine pours are a bit skimpy for the price of a glass $10.00!Special Features:
- ImpressiveGemmaKDined on 9/19/2014Our experience was truly delightful. We enjoyed fabulous service fabulous meal and a decent wine. Speaking of wine that is the only thing that I would like to see a more extensive list on. It would be nice to see a bit more of a selection. Otherwise service food ambience was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayMizzWilliams36Dined on 9/19/2014I had high hopes for my first visit to Family meal, but the food and service fell short. I had the goat cheese omelet with caramelized onions. It was bland and had too much goat cheese. The potatoes that accompanied the omelet were pretty good. There was no salt and pepper on the table, so I assumed the food would be seasoned properly. I may give it another go, but it won't be my first choice. Even though the restaurant wasn't very busy, our waitress seemed super distracted. I was almost done with my meal when we had room remind her I ordered a drink at the start of my meal.Special Features:
- Lunch n stuffIcecreamdreamDined on 9/15/2014Lunch menu has great variety for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Everything is priced very reasonably. Very nice cocktail menu for smaller, diner atmosphere. Lentil soup and sauteed spinach were favorites, but would not recommend the omelets - no seasoning/flavor despite good fillings. Milkshakes - both adult and children varieties are delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Meal is fantasticHandylandy66Dined on 9/13/2014The food is always great. Service superb, just a warm and friendly atmosphere. I have always had a wonderful dining experience here. Lunch and dinner have been great. The fried chicken is my family's favorite. I love the smoked pastrami, great flavor and great bread. I highly recommend and will be returning soon, even if it is a 30 mile trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suggestionluv2dineDined on 9/12/2014My eggs were not cooked as requested so had to be sent back. By the time I got my food my sister had already completed her meal. Would recommend additional items on their menu that are not fried and have healthy vegetarian selectionsSpecial Features:
- An upscale Diner but still a DinercedarVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went here for a fundraising dinner for a local food bank. Great comfort food combined with very good service made for a wonderful evening. In the past, the value of the experience was very high and this visit was no exception. We had the BBQ pork which was excellent with sides of Mac & Cheese and greens and a piece of cornbread preceded by a delicious salad and followed by one of the best desserts I've had in a while: apple upside down cake with spice ice cream and caramel. Nice beer/wine and classy cocktail selection, too. All that was missing was the jukebox at the end of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and Fun for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014We had a great time on a Sunday night at this casual restaurant. We will definitely go back! Reasonable prices, excellent service, and creative appetizers, 'suppers', and desserts. don't miss the fried chicken (yum, light coating, very tender) comes with amazing cornbread, deviled eggs, and the desserts were all delicious (peach cobbler, lime tart, milkshakes). Even a nice wine list! Enjoy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Great onion rings. What is this trendy restaurant doing in a huge ugly parking lot in the middle of nowhere? We had a perfectly nice meal, but it wasn't worth an hours drive.Special Features:
- great food!asdfNJasdfDined on 9/7/2014best collard greens ever; loved the potatoes with the omelette. great time - can't wait to try the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More water?Adagio292Dined on 9/7/2014The water glasses are very small, and every time a server passed, they would interrupt my conversation to ask, "more water?" Don't ask me – just fill up the water glass. No big deal. While they did accommodate my car seat and infant that I brought along with me, they did seed us in a high-traffic area. I felt like we were in the middle of an aisle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great; Service MediocreKathyFVIPDined on 9/2/2014On our second visit, we waited 5-10 minutes to be greeted by our waitress. After ordering our food (all at once), and waiting another 20 minutes or so, we were served our appetizer, salad, and main course all at once. I hate when that happens, and usually don't order anything beyond the appetizer until after the appetizer has been served (and sometimes eaten). In this case, I really didn't think they would serve EVERYTHING at once. I think she was new, but no excuse. She offered to remove the food from the table and "hold it" for us, but I didn't think it would be improved by holding somewhere. If she had offered to have the kitchen make new entrees after we finished the appetizer and salads, that would have been a different matter.Special Features:
- Best Fried Chicken I've ever hadNahimeanDined on 9/1/2014Voltaggio scores again. This is the second time I've been and it was great again. Seriously, best fried chicken ever without the complementary stomach ache KFC and Popeyes gives you. Booths are way too small and uncomfortable but hey the food makes up for it. For apps I loved their chicken pot pie fritters, cheesy but tasty. They hoecakes are fantastic and their desserts were delicious. Well worth the 40 minutes drive and will definitely be back soon. Still dreaming about the fried chicken. I really wish they were closer than they are to me. The server was efficient and very pleasant. The only negative was the drive and tightly enclosed dinning room and don't tell me it's cozy :) But Seriously I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heard about for a reason?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Colossally annoying worker behind bar angrily yelling "Service!" every five seconds completely ruined the experience. We were clearly there for him rather than to enjoy ourselves. Okay food, but the sauce took away from the salmon, and the vegetable tastes collided with each other. Pretentious. Overly tiny portions; definitely left "wanting for more", but not in a good way. Evidently trying for "trendy" without actually setting any trends. I'd recommend this place to the wealthy who can afford to waste their money and time.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodTravelingNonnaDined on 8/31/2014Multiple times visiting this restaurant. Kale salad and petit filet, so excellent. Dining partner had the rock fish, also outstanding. "Best meal we have had in a while".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but very uneven portionsDissappointedDined on 8/30/2014I really like to food here but the portions are so uneven. You get a basket of friend chicken with several biscuits however the rockfish portion was tiny and only came with a smudge of mashed potato and veg. The pork loin was better and came with veg and a decent amount of grilled corn bread. I understand the idea is to order sides and apps which we did but I really wanted just a bit more potato and veg with my fish!Special Features:
- SurprisingmnkyboyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Normally, when we have eaten here. It has been great! Not sure what happened but our chicken pot pie fritters were cold in the center & seemed mass produced, which was not typical! We normally love these & get them every time we stop in. The server must have been new because she was extremely slow!!! We got our fritters before we got our drinks! We aren't giving up on this place yet because we really do enjoy it. Hopefully, next time will be better!!
- bestestDined on 8/25/2014Family Meal is my favorite restaurant. My friend and I are there at least one a week for breakfast.I recommend it to anyone who asks for a nice place to eat in Frederick.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014They were very busy and I could tell they hadn't expected a crowd. We arrived 5 minuets before our reservation and after seeing 3 couples who just arrived get seated, I stopped the seating person and she said "you have a reservation?" I told her yes and we were seated shortly after that. No problem, they picked up the tab for the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We had to wait past our reservation due to crowding, and the staff at Family Meal was incredibly accommodating. They comped us drinks and appetizers and repeatedly came by to apologize for the wait. After we were seated, the food was delicious as always. Well worth the drive to Frederick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.