880 North East Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.voltfamilymeal.com/
- Phone: (301) 378-2895
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily, Monday-Sunday
Breakfast: 7:00 am to 11:30 am
Lunch: 11:30 am to 4:30 pm
Dinner: 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Family Meal
A modern American diner, Family meal offers reasonably priced all-day meals inspired by comfort classics. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner by chef Bryan Voltaggio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Family Meal - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Family Meal reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)kid-friendly (108)great for lunch (108)neighborhood gem (102)great for brunch (69)good for groups (65)hot spot (61)great for outdoor dining (35)special occasion (34)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (11)notable wine list (10)romantic (3)Show More
- Fantastic food...but attention to detailJohnMcDined on 11/22/2014Great food, as always, but found myself disappointed that I made a reservation for our son's 16th birthday (which I specifically noted in my reservation), a special occasion, and the restaurant missed it completely. I also directly informed the waiter it was my son's birthday and our long, happy meal was met with...the server simply dropping a check. It was especially galling that the table behind us had the server deliver a birthday appreciation to their table. Of course, it's not about free food, we ordered plenty during our visit, but that special touch that makes someone feel special. Also, I had ZERO desire to make an issue of it; at that point, what good would that have done? They simply missed it and it was disappointing. That said, as always, the food was unbelievably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealebfrederickmdDined on 11/22/2014Family Meal always has great food, the quality of the ingredients shows and the inventiveness of the dishes is a rarity in restaurants these days. Moreover the waiters always seem to have a top notch attitude and care for their patrons. We look forward to visiting Family Meal as a treat once a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!CamcrazyDined on 11/21/2014Wonderful menu with southern types of meals that have a twist to them. The quality of food is exceptional. The service was a little to intrusive. We felt at times that they were rushing us thru our meal. The restaurant was busy and loud. Overall the quality of food and the contemporary feel of the restaurant makes it a must return for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Family Meal!kittersmomDined on 11/15/2014Drive 60 miles one way just to go here. Love it! If I could get the brussel sprouts for lunch life would be good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousChoochDined on 11/14/2014Will return, keep up the good work, Bryan!!! Delicious breakfast and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in FrederickRobertDined on 11/13/2014From the appitizers of chicken pot pie fritters (amazing) and a great selection of beers (happy hour 1/2 prices from 4 until 6pm) to the meals of fried chicken (ranks in the top five of chicken dinners I've had) to the Bryan's Burger--great serving size and amazing taste, to the meat loaf (portion size could have been larger) the meal was outstanding. The deserts were just as amazing--the malted tart and the upside down apple cake were out of this world. The service was prompt, not over powering with hovering wait-staff, but ready to assist when needed. A great place to have dinner and to converse with family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit to Family MealMokeyBear0824Dined on 11/11/2014This was our first visit to the Family Meal and the food was outstanding. the service impeccable. It was crowded and that was a little of a let down in that there was not really enough room. Making reservations was easy and we will definitely go back to the Family Meal. This was a good experience for us. The desserts are out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattVIPDined on 11/11/2014We would not have found this gem without Open Table. We went for lunch on Veterans Day. The place was packed with a line out the door. This really gets my adrenaline going. I always think this must be a great place if all these folks are waiting to eat. So with greater than expected outlook we walked into a new eating experience. The Open table reservation was the saving grace, not because we were limited on time, just hungry an anxious to encounter a new dining experience. The service was probably a little slow just because of the holiday. However, the apps met the expectations. The food was above average and the restaurant has a unique feel to it. I plan on booking again next week to conquer a few more entrees that looked great.Special Features:
- Great staff, slightly priceyPaulLDined on 11/7/2014This is a good place to dine, the food is wonderful, the service is always excellent, but the prices are a bit on the high side. It's very easy to drop $100 on a meal for two with dessert (and I don't even drink), putting it on par with better restaurants in the area. Still, it's good for a once or twice a year visit, just to see what's new on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Voltaggio food, Diner settingcedarVIPDined on 11/5/2014Decided to go to Family Meal with a co-worker after a training session in downtown Frederick. I had the arctic char with smoked sunchoke, orange, Brussels sprouts, fig gastrique: it was fabulous! Perfectly done fish and everything on the plate complemented each other very nicely. My colleague had the omelet with country ham, cheddar and the grits in lieu of the home fries. She was very impressed and her anticipation at trying the house-made grits was well rewarded - she loved them. We finished with the gingerbread donuts in a lemon glaze with white chocolate and poached Seckel pear. What a perfect end to the meal and enough to share!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014The restaurant was warm and inviting, they checked our coats which was nice for the little both. I ordered the shrimp po boy and so did my husband and we both thought it was great. My father ordered the meatloaf and loved it we all tried it and agree it is a delicious meatloaf specially if you like mushrooms. My mom ordered the BBQ sandwich it was to me smokey for me but she said it was perfect. Also the deviled eggs are out of this world and the apple upside down cake was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, casual atmosphereCarolDined on 11/2/2014Delicious food and nice service in casual atmospher.Special Features:
- Just averageFrederickMommaDined on 11/1/2014This was not our first visit to Family Meal. We'd been there enough that I knew a reservation was important! We were seated within 5 minutes of arriving almost exactly at our reservation time. The pot pie fritters were excellent. It was over 40 minutes from the time our order was placed before we received any food other than the fritters. The omlette ingredients were wrong, the duck fat French fries were room temperature and a bit soggy, yet the brussel sprouts were VERY hot. The beer soup, which would have been welcomed in the 40 minutes between pot pie fritters and the meal, not at the same time as the meal. The main course shrimp/grits was willingly split by the kitchen to be share by two people, but it arrived cold.Special Features:
- Comfortable GourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Tried the meatloaf on the server's recommendation and was not disappointed. My wife is still raving about the butternut cheesecake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Food is very tasty, with lots of different flavors to choose from, but not so weird you can't find something to eat. Sometimes chefs make things too weird for the average person... This is a very good restaurant! Easy to get in with a reservation. Casual setting and lots to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodtrackpadDined on 10/31/2014An outstanding restaurant. All of our food was very good but you MUST try the Chicken Pot Pie Fritters and the Fried Chicken !!Special Features:
- YummyGeeksliketoeatDined on 10/31/2014Creative menu that combines comfort food with innovative ingredients. The dishes are always flavorful and consistent in quality. The staff are casual, yet completely attentive and knowledgeable about wine, beer and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Halloween TreatJJMDVIPDined on 10/31/2014Going to Family Meal was a great idea this year. To add to the amazing food, the staff were all in the spirit of things and dressed up, which made for a fun night out. The Fried Chicken remains their best menu item and everyone in my party loved it. We also had the Cheddar Beer soup and the Deviled Eggs. If you love soup or love the rich topping on an egg, get them the next time you're there! We also had the Butterscotch Pudding, Chocolate Malt Tart and a Root Beer Float for dessert--all were just scrumptious and delicious! Best thing in addition to the food is the service there. The twins, Conner and Web, are two of the nicest guys and we had Conner this time. He's witty, engaging and makes sure you have a good experience!Special Features:
- MelissaDined on 10/25/2014Good food and good service. Fun place to go to with friends. Loved the ChickenSpecial Features:
- PeterVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had planned an early dinner and were in by 530. We were out by 630 but didn't feel rushed. The onion rings were different with corn flakes in the crust and excellent. The fried chicken was also excellent and the shrimp and grits good. We would return when we are back in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch on a beautiful fall dayKauiaTreatDined on 10/25/2014Stopped by for the first time after doing some "leaf watching" on a beautiful fall day. Arrived in time for a VERY late lunch (after 3:30 PM) and were seated immediately. Restaurant seemed to be about 1/3 full. Excellent cocktail - Gingered Blossom - and enjoyed watching the bartender at work. Very friendly, helpful server. Loved the chicken pot pie fritter appetizer. Desserts were also excellent (ginger bread donuts for me, apple upside down cake for him.) Entrees were good but not great. The décor was cold and industrial (I know that's what they were going for) but it seemed incongruous with the "home style" food. Late afternoon sun glaring through the huge windows made us less than comfortable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Making meat loaf a special occasionFrederickVisitorDined on 10/25/2014Family Meal's schtick works: let Brian Voltaggio work his magic on everyday standards like chicken fried steak, meatloaf and the like. The dishes are easily recognizablebut tweaked just enough to be distinctive and executed well by the kitchen, all at reasonable cost. Add a great alcohol list & this is a really different special place. Becoming a regular would be really easy.Special Features:
- Country GourmetDogwoodVIPDined on 10/23/2014Seasonal produce expertly prepared. Kitchen turns classics into gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/23/2014Had a great meal at Family Meal on Thursday night. Lots of farm-to-table. I had the venison cooked sous vide. Simply outstanding.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Maybe I expected too much. Meatloaf- nothing comforting. Potatoes were somewhat tasteless ( mashed). Apple upside down cake was toooooo sweet. Noisy. Service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Late Lunch!!!kymberlakeDined on 10/18/2014We finally had the opportunity to try Family Meal for lunch & our daughter's birthday. We started our meal off with a variety of cocktails. All very nice and refreshing!! For appetizer we had the chicken pot pie fritters and deviled eggs. I don't like eggs but thought these were super yum!! For our meals...the shrimp po' boy, the fried green tomato po' boy, the fried chicken salad sandwich and the house made pastrami sandwich...pretty much all Heaven on a plate!! We shared an order of the braised collard greens, the broccoli gratin, and of course, 2 orders of the duck fat fries. Ahhh so good!! For dessert we shared the banana butterscotch pudding...a definite must have even if you're totally full!! Without a doubt...we will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Okay dinnerMichael818VIPDined on 10/14/2014To be fair, I was expecting someplace different from this Voltaggio offering. Perhaps I should have been paying closer attention to the reviews. The location is in an industrial area with nothing else around. The staff was enthusiastic but not as experienced as they might have been. Dinner wasn't rushed at all but there were few return visits by the server to see if drinks needed refilling. The food was good but unexceptional. Entrees were sized nicely and priced fairly. It's a nice meal but I'm not sure I would make it a regular stop.I think my expectations were too high.
- Terrible placeJamesDined on 10/14/2014Noise was like an airplane factory with multiple blenders going at the same time. Good was greasy although onion rings were almost fair. We will never return.
- Good placeMikeVIPDined on 10/13/2014Family meal has really good food at somewhat reasonable prices. The johnnycakes were way over-priced for the tiny portion, but the fried chicken meal is excellent and a lot of really good food. My wife's steak and fries were delicious. The service this visit was not very good. It was incredibly slow. Given that we were almost three hours from home in NJ and had been driving from Kentucky, this was quite frustrating. I've been here a few times before and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, but it won't be during a long road trip. Also it's way, way too loud in there. Given the layout of the place they should do something to counteract the noise...cement and all hard surfaces make it nearly painful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family MealMatchboxVIPDined on 10/13/2014I will start by saying that I am a huge fan of Bryan Voltaggio having watched him on Top Chef and from dining three times at Volt. Yes, I understand that the Family Meal concept is totally different but the food is not as the diners expect it to be. For example, both the fried chicken and duck fat fries are tasty but when served not crispy in the least. On a more positive note, the service was excellent. The waitstaff is very well trained, personable, and efficient. Dining at Family Meal is not inexpensive for the type of food served. I feel people would feel better about the total experience if the food served was better and more notable than it currently is.
- Not so muchGFfoodieDined on 10/12/2014Consider it a neighborhood diner-over salted entrees and lots of fried food options as well as meatloaf, hamburgers, and mac cheese (also fried BTW). The waitstaff were exceptional. I am celiac and cannot eat anything that has so much as touched gluten-including the oil in the frier if used for ANYTHING having gluten. When I drilled down on items the staff was great about digging for answers; such as; upon receiving the Brussels sprouts (recommended as a gluten free) i noted that they looked blistered as if they had been deep fried! Indeed, when I inquired our waitress went back to the kitchen (again), and they were deep fried and not gluten free. Food was average, cocktails awful. The service is it's saving grace.
- Nice brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our experience, the food was very good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KelleyDined on 10/11/2014Always great food! Service rocks! Love the milkshakes too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but,NukingDined on 10/11/2014I expected more. Even though the reviews warned of the noise level, it was difficult to carry on a conversation at the table. The narrow confines meant that servers and other patrons bumped the back of my chair every 2-3 minutes. The food had elements of interest but did not leave up to expectations. One scallop for an appetizer was was good but unsatisfying.Special Features:
- Out of this world delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My co-workers and I dined at Family Meal and we walked away extremely pleased with our food and the whole dining experience. Our table host was very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. The food was delicious, creative and absolutely memorable! I don’t usually eat desserts but I had a bite from three that were ordered by my colleagues and I have to say, I was blown away, had to go for seconds. Bottom line, if you are in Fredrick area, you should this restaurant, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Happy Birthday to me...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My wife wanted to take me somewhere different for my birthday, and this seemed an apt choice. We'd only eaten there a couple of times and felt it would provide a good opportunity to be away from our normal routine. Bravo! Sat outside and enjoyed the breeze, the conversation and the charming wait staff. Well done.Special Features:
- Unique & tastyLilblueyesVIPDined on 10/6/2014I only tried the Chicken Pot Pie Fritters and the Pumpkin Soup. Who knew you could have tiny bites of chicken pot pie?!?! So very light & tasty. The soup was super creamy and divine. Will be back for more.Special Features:
- great little gem in townDCTejana1Dined on 10/4/2014Highly recommend the fried chicken and a few of the appetizers were a twist on some old favorite recipes. Highly recommend, although it is a bit overpriced in my opinion. gotta get the fried chickenSpecial Features:
- Family Meal food was excellentKenRDined on 10/4/2014This is the scaled-down Volt. Full of family-friendly meals and feel-good dining. Duck fat fries were excellent and plentiful. Enough for a teenager and family. Comfort food abounds. Mac and cheese with pimiento was excellent. Fried Chicken basket was crispy and non-greasy. The pork belly BLT was a delicious twist on an old favorite! The only thing to complain about was the taps were broken and the interesting draft beers were unavailable. Bottled beers were of a good variety and the waiter recommended a winner. Don't let the neighborhood fool you, this is a classy place with efficient service, great comfort food and decent prices. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrGoodbar2014Dined on 9/28/2014I will be back. We really enjoyed this spot and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.