Fagiolini on 40th
120 E. 40th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Fagiolini on 40th
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fagiolini.com/
- Phone: 2126820310
- Hours of Operation:
Normal hours: 12 noon to 9:00pm, Monday - Friday. Available for all Private Events 7 days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Felix Penalosa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Midtown East and West
- Private Party Facilities: Located in the heart of midtown, Fagiolini offers Italian Cuisine, attentive service and a warm ambience. Group packages to meet all budget goals. Private rooms for groups of 12-150. Rehearsal dinners, weddings, cocktail parties, fundraisers, holiday parties & business meetings with all AV needs.
- Private Party Contact: Jack O'Brien 8886522506
- Entertainment: Fagiolini is I-Pod Ready, wi-fi available large screen and projector also available, wireless mike etc.
- Special Events: "For over 30 years, Fagiolini on 40th has served classic Italian specialties in an atmosphere of hand-painted ceramic tiles, warm mosiacs, and framed antique photographs of Italy. Special packages available for groups of 15 or more. Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Birthdays, Bridal and Baby Showers, Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties, Retirement and Corporate Events. Private Rooms and Audio/Visual Equipment Available. Pre-Theatre Mon - Sat 4:30PM - 6:30PM.
A word from Fagiolini on 40th
"For over 30 years, Fagiolini on 40th has served classic Italian specialties in an atmosphere of hand-painted ceramic tiles, warm mosiacs, and framed antique photographs of Italy. Special packages available for groups of 15 or more. Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Birthdays, Bridal and Baby Showers, Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties, Retirement and Corporate Events. Private Rooms and Audio/Visual Equipment Available. Pre-Theatre Mon - Sat 4:30PM - 6:30PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fagiolini on 40th reviews from OpenTable diners
- A pleasant mealSnoozyQzeeDined on 11/28/2013A pleasant Thanksgiving meal. Food was good but not hot or freshly prepared. Perhaps precooked for the holiday. Overall good, though I have had outstanding meals in the past here. Don't think I would come back for a holiday gathering.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Call before you goCallbeforeugoDined on 11/28/2013The restaurant was not really what I was expecting. The food wasjust alright. When you think of Italian, you think of good bread, and good food even if it is Thanksgiving. Served cold sesame rolls no butter, linguine was too fishy with no Italian taste, turkey was good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Desert was awful, cheese cake was dry and old tasting and apple crumb pie was not cooked (still doughy) serve cooked, warm if you are going to serve it al a mode. The menu stated coffee, tea were included in price but they charged us $2 for each cup. Open Table stated children 16 and under were 1/2 price. They charged us full adult price for our daughter who is 15. Luckily I had my Open Table print out to confirm for them to honor.Special Features:
- Cheap, ok food.LauraVIPDined on 11/21/2013This place was just ok. After waiting 10 minutes for the hostess to show up, we rarely saw our waiter. The food was ok, nothing special especially with tons of other amazing Italian restaurants in NYC. I would not go back.
- DisappointingANONYMOUSDined on 11/21/2013Have dined here several times and specifically for the prix fixe menu. When I requested it, waiter told us it was not offered anymore.I told him it still appeared on the website so he then came back with 2 prix fixe menus. I requested one dish off that menu and was told they did not prepare that anymore with that particular pasta- so I ordered another pasta. When the dish arrived it had the pasta on the menu, with no explanation by the waiter. I thought that was strange and he could have offered some simple explanation. Food was ok, a bit too oily for me, so frankly the experience was not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time & Definitely Not My LastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2013I found Fagiolini to be very inviting. The food was excellent and the service as well. I went with two other colleagues and we all enjoyed what we ordered. It just might replace our "usual" luncheon place to go.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotaj260Dined on 11/21/2013If you're close by and want Italian food, this is a very good place for lunch. The food is decent, the service is brisk and it's quiet enough to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Website MisleadingRichDined on 11/6/2013Fagiolini's website advertised a special "pre-theater" menu priced at $22 for 4 courses. I have enjoyed this in the past. When I asked the waiter for the menu, he told me it was no longer available. However, the menu remains posted on the restaurant's website. This is misleading. Nevertheless, the food was very good and even at "bust out retail,' Fagiolini is a very good NYC value for the price I paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet joint with comfort foodSippingsisterVIPDined on 11/4/2013If you find yourself near Grand Central and need/want a place where you can actually have a conversation with your table mate, head here. The food is standard Italian comfort - lasagna, pasta, grilled fish. The wine list is unremarkable, but fine for what it is. And the service is attentive. This is not a place of Mario Battalli, nor Charlie Trotter, nor Ferran Adria. Nor it is it anywhere near as expensive. It is conveniently located, the food is fine, and you will leave with some cash in your wallet. So this is a solid place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terriblecathcharonDined on 11/2/2013The servers mentioned over and over that the kitchen closed in 40 minutes. 40! They rushed us and pressured us to order, and ignored our table. Seems like they were more interested in going home then providing a nice dinner environmentSpecial Features:
- Quiet Midtown ItalianUESfoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2013After reading the reviews I thought it would be the perfect place for a large group. We wanted to be near GCT because we had friends coming in from CT. We made a reservation for 8 and was easily able to increase it to 10. They were very nice,we had ample space and were not rushed. Food was standard Italian fare, prepared well, but not thing exotic. We were the last people in the restaurant at 10:30. You really got the feeling it was a midtown lunch scene since it had large flatscreen TVs with CNBC in dining area. It was great for us because we were able to have a large group and be able to talk all the way across the table and not feel rushed and it was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REASONABLE NEIGHBORHOOD PLACEcritter1Dined on 10/29/2013The menu is a bit limited....One of our party needs a gluten free diet...limited choice. My preference is whole wheat pasta...none available. The chicken in the chicken parmigiana was tough if that's possible. We would go back for a very good reason...the moderate level of noise, even though close to the quite busy bar scene... which made for very easy conversation! Must say that the cappucino was very good. No variety of tea except a Lipton tea bag.
- Had to ask for pre-theatre menu.NewYorkdinerDined on 10/25/2013We arrived at 6:00 pm, but were not given the pre-theatre menu listed on the restaurant's website. When we asked the waiter for the menu, he balked and said it was no longer in effect-- he'd have to ask the kitchen staff. It was still before 6:30 pm; hours listed for the pre-theatre menu are 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm. We finally got the menu, and enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a gem!blondieDined on 10/19/2013I was looking for a Saturday night table, with accomodation for six, at the last minute, when out of town relatives came to visit. We were lucky to find this gem on Open Table. The food was very good, the service was FANTASTIC!! The room was quiet, which was very unusual for a Manhattan midtown restaurant. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a table with ample room and with the ambiance to allow for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a solid restaurant experienceIrv47VIPDined on 10/15/2013I was looking for a restaurant near grand central to meet a friend and catch up. I wanted basic, good food, not too expensive,, attentive, yet not overly so service, and decent atmosphere. This restaurant fit the bill all around. I had the chicken parmagan, which came over a plate of spaghetti, with a salad and bread on the table. My friend had the lasagna. Both were declicious, served hot and plentiful. Neither of us could finish our portions. The wine we had was served in a carafe, so it was a generous pour. The bill for 2, with tax and tip was under $80. Very reasonable for NYC prices. I would definitely go back again! One down note was my friend asked for a substitution, and they wouldn't give it to her.
- Good place,DinergirlDined on 10/3/2013A very comfortable and satisfying reataurant. Very good friendly service, good basic unpretentious food, reasonable prices, quiet enough for conversation. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant ItalianJoanVIPDined on 9/24/2013Quiet, nicely furnished small restaurant. Be certain to check address, because another Fagiolini is around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homestyle authentic ItalianNYCvisitorDined on 9/20/2013I was seeking a quiet spot close to my customer's hotel in the Grand Central Station area. I read the reviews shown on Open Table and selected Fagiolini's. My customer was jonesing for authentic, homestyle Italian food, as where he lives in Europe it is difficult to find. Both of us were pleased with the overall dining experience at Fagiolini's. We were given a quiet table for two where we could spread out, as we were combining a meal with a business meeting. The food was served in ample amount, was served hot and the service made it very easy to combine our business needs with a good meal. I would recommend this spot as a quiet respite for a small group that wants to have good conversation and a nice meal. Well done Fagiolini's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fagiolini on 40thmaenbillDined on 9/16/2013A proto-typical New York Italian restaurant at a very high standard. The service was good, the food was very good. The type of restaurant where you strike up a conversation with the people at the next table and end up sharing an after dinner drink. The staff makes you welcome whether you're having starters, pasta, main, and dessert - or just a main dish. There is no rush to get in and get out. The food is fresh and served hot. Really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Great food, even better service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013Great food, even better service. Go, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good, solid food. Not terriblyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/19/2013Good, solid food. Not terribly expensive and good choices.Special Features:
- Wednesday LunchJeremyVIPDined on 6/19/2013I've been going around the corner to Fagiolini on 39th for probably 7 or 8 years and finally tried the other restaurant. Awesome lunch special $13 gets you a salad, pasta, and biscotti. Service is friendly, the place works for a casual lunch or dinner with friends or for business. The front section of the room with the bar is nicer than the back section (also the whole place is a bit nicer than 39th). Certainly not upscale but a nice place, friendly service, and great value for good comfort Italian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for a business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2013Good spot for a business lunch. Not too loud. Easy place to talk.
- Red Sauce and MeaballsAbebDined on 5/23/2013This is a traditional Italian restaurant with fantastic meatball and spaghetti. The veal cutlet parmigiano was also excellent. This is a place to go to enjoy traditional old fashion Italian food.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodTedMicheleDined on 5/23/2013The meatballs were amazing! Definitely coming backSpecial Features:
- Nice, casual restaurant!AliceEVIPDined on 5/22/2013If you are looking for some nice inexpensive, casual dinner, this is the place to go! The food is tasty, and authentically Italian. Very delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- There seems to be only onetaxiDined on 5/13/2013There seems to be only one waiter and one person who brings some of the food from the kitchen. This is not enough to serve the lunch crowd within a short priod of time. Really hard to get a second cup of coffee or a bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic and inexpensive. ClosesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2013Basic and inexpensive. Closes early ( before 10 pm)
- The Meat Ball Are The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013The meat balls were the best my husband and I ever had.Special Features:
- Great Midtown Italiansrk49VIPDined on 4/12/2013Price point and delicious food keeps bringing us back. Pastas come with salad and bread. Two waiters work the entire restaurant. Both friendly and hard working. Will return
- I brought my family who cameMolly77Dined on 4/9/2013I brought my family who came in from out of town here and we all loved the food. My suggestion is to order the spaghetti & meatballs; they make the most delicious meatballs I have ever eaten (sorry grandma). We had a great meal, friendly service, and it all came within a fair price point. It made for a very nice night with traditional Italian food, which hit the right note after a long day of travel.Special Features:
- I last ate here in the midOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2013I last ate here in the mid 90's and I don't think the place has changed at all. Solid Italian food at very reasonable prices. Each pasta comes with a salad. And the fried calamari is fantastic.
- There were 4 of us celebratingaudreDined on 2/27/2013There were 4 of us celebrating birthdays. Very pleasant wait staff. Stay away from the top corners of the menu for chicken and veal parm. Pre-made and tasteless. The 3 other diners truly enjoyed their dinners.Special Features:
- The space isn't very invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2013The space isn't very inviting - drab. The noise level was terrible.There was a large party probably of 15 people at one table and they were so loud I couldn't hear my fried. They should have been in a private room. Once we were seated and served drinks we were asked to move on table over so that they could combine several tables.Knowing that a large crowd could over power other diners, management should have moved us to the tables by the bar that would have been more quite. The lasanga was excellent - I cleaned my plate. Not sure what ingredient was in it but afterwards it kept repeating on me.
- So many scrumptious entreesDB73Dined on 2/19/2013So many scrumptious entrees we actually went back a second time two nights later. Just a solid little "neighborhood" type Italian restaurant with good food, good service and good prices yet located only a couple of blocks from Grand Central. My go-to favorite for groups, dining alone and business meetings. They will honor all special requests and are attentive without being intrusive. You just can't ask for more. I'll keep coming back! And bringing my work colleagues and friends!Special Features:
- We had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/6/2013We had a great experience here. I had some special requests and they were more than happy to accomidate. I was very pleased.Special Features:
- Delicioso!!!! Lasagna wonderfullfdchrisDined on 1/16/2013Delicioso!!!! Lasagna wonderful with sausage, marvelous meatballs and chicken parm to die for. Friendly and attentive staff as well.Special Features:
- The food was excellent! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2013The food was excellent! The tables were a little close so you couldn't help but overhear the next tables conversation. The service was also excellent, very attentive. Will be back again!Special Features:
- Service seemed a little slow.montclairfoodieVIPDined on 1/4/2013Service seemed a little slow. Slight mix up to a custom pasta order but were very accomodating to make things right.
- Pleasant surroundings andLLT1Dined on 12/28/2012Pleasant surroundings and excellent staff. Food was very good. The lemon sorbet was a hit with our party!Special Features:
- Great Pasta and Price Pointsrk49VIPDined on 12/23/2012Great spaghetti and meatballs and pasta arrabiata. Salad comes with entrees. Waiter warmed our bread which made it even better. Good service and food. Great price point. Will return.Special Features: